Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even after adding VAT, the profit margin of expensive pubs is vast.

I know. But I wasn't saying anything to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

They just sorted out a lease for Dennehys Cross Cork today next to the Ramen restaurant. Right inbetween UCC and CIT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Anyone hear these rumours that they sorted out a lease for Dennehys Cross Cork today next to the Ramen restaurant? You know, right inbetween UCC and CIT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Anyone hear these rumours that they sorted out a lease for Dennehys Cross Cork today next to the Ramen restaurant? You know, right inbetween UCC and CIT?
    That's the first I've heard about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I might've heard it in two or three places, alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

They just sorted out a lease for Dennehys Cross Cork today next to the Ramen restaurant. Right inbetween UCC and CIT.

just once would have been enough for this good news!
    I like it, could see myself availing of there good value on a regular basis...

Any idea on when it expects to be open there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I heard they got such a good deal that they signed several leases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭SteM

Jeez, don't ask him any questions. God only knows how many times he'll post the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

just once would have been enough for this good news!
    I like it, could see myself availing of there good value on a regular basis...

They were putting in equipment this morning and doing bits and pieces around it. I'm surprised if there opening soon as I haven't seen any licence application in the area.

Regarding the multiple posts, I find if I post on my phone and then click back it reposts and if I do it a few times it stops. I don't have this problem however with my laptop. Anybody else have this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They were putting in equipment this morning and doing bits and pieces around it. I'm surprised if there opening soon as I haven't seen any licence application in the area.

Regarding the multiple posts, I find if I post on my phone and then click back it reposts and if I do it a few times it stops. I don't have this problem however with my laptop. Anybody else have this problem?
    Happens me all the time on my phone - very annoying.
    (and there is no other straight forward way back to the main forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

Anyone know if The 40 foot has sorted out their cask ale supply problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Chelon wrote: »
    Anyone know if The 40 foot has sorted out their cask ale supply problem?

Not as of 2 nights ago

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Broadside in fine form in TTT today.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

How does the the Three Tun and the 40 foot turn a profit with those prices with staff to pay, rates and other expenses? I would love to see their accounts for their Dublin pubs. They surely cant be making much even if they are busy.

Had a chicken panini in a wetherspoons recently in the UK. If those two pubs in Dublin are serving similar standard food then i don't think the local chippers/ food pubs have anything to worry about. The food was of a similar standard to a pre packed sandwich reheated in a microwave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I have enjoyed their curry night, not amazing but good value.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Mynamehere wrote: »
    How does the the Three Tun and the 40 foot turn a profit with those prices with staff to pay, rates and other expenses? I would love to see their accounts for their Dublin pubs. They surely cant be making much even if they are busy.

Had a chicken panini in a wetherspoons recently in the UK. If those two pubs in Dublin are serving similar standard food then i don't think the local chippers/ food pubs have anything to worry about. The food was of a similar standard to a pre packed sandwich reheated in a microwave.

Its a clever business model, because its cheap, punters come back more often.

Their pubs in parts of the north of England are even cheaper, two meals for £6.47 in places like Barnsley. The chain still made a £ 79 million profit in 2012.

Shows how punters in expensive pubs and restaurants are being fleeced.

In the UK wetherspoons has got more expensive, not so long ago they were doing 99p pints.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2753418/More-pub-openings-help-boost-profits-JD-Wetherspoon.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Its a clever business model, because its cheap, punters come back more often.

Their pubs in parts of the north of England are even cheaper, two meals for £6.47 in places like Barnsley. The chain still made a £ 79 million profit in 2012.

Shows how punters in expensive pubs and restaurants are being fleeced.

In the UK wetherspoons has got more expensive, not so long ago they were doing 99p pints.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2753418/More-pub-openings-help-boost-profits-JD-Wetherspoon.html

Just because Spoons are cheaper it doesn't necessarily mean that you are being fleeced in other bars. I would imagine the reason why Spoons still make massive profits is down to scale and buying power. Other places might have higher overheads or maybe are just not as savvy when it comes to buying or just the general running of the pub.

It's impossible to know any of this without seeing their books though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just because Spoons are cheaper it doesn't necessarily mean that you are being fleeced in other bars. I would imagine the reason why Spoons still make massive profits is down to scale and buying power. Other places might have higher overheads or maybe are just not as savvy when it comes to buying or just the general running of the pub.

It's impossible to know any of this without seeing their books though.

Well, as you or I are not going to be seeing the books of 'spoons or any other Irish pub it is a pointless argument.

The "buying power" justification has already been destroyed by the Heineken spat. Heineken already clarified the they were not selling to JDW in Ireland at lower prices than to other customers, they were just butt hurt that their "premium" pisswater was being sold in a high profile location at bargain prices.

It is not as JDW were unique in selling much cheaper booze than normal in a licensed premises, the likes of Dicey O'reilley's and Blacker's (Welfare Wednesday) were and still are selling beer including "premium" Heineken for €3 or less without bother.

The difference is that JDW are taking non-scum custom from established pubs and will potentially be doing so on an ever increasing scale over the next few years and the 100% Irish cute hoor pub barons do not like the idea of their profits being hit by an incomer that doesn't play by the Irish cartel game.

The economy of scale justification is pretty thin also as JDW has a grand total of 2 open pubs in ROI at the moment. No doubt they are importing certain products to Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire from their UK or NI operations but that is hardly a cheap method of supplying cask or keg beer to an Irish pub unless the prices charged by local suppliers are so high to offset the additional logistics costs of bespoke imports.

Even if their expansion plans continue at a high rate it will still be a few years before JDW have more licenced premises than any of the big Irish pub chains (and they are chains even if they hide their common ownership under a shroud of "Genuine Irish Local Pub" branding) but never mind that, anyone selling beer at €3 or under must be doing something dodgy, otherwise it is really true that we have all been gouged by the LVA and Diageo/Heineken for decades for the defining Irish past time of boozing in a pub.

All that has happened is that JDW has demonstrated the prices that alcohol should be sold at in a pub. €2.50-3.00 for beer in a regular venue, maybe up to €4.00 in an exceptional premises, not the €5 upwards as is standard now in urban pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Rumor has it barracuda in bray is there next outlet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Just heard a rumour about the Castle Inn in Rathfarnham. Although a lot seem to be nothing more than rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

oblivious wrote: »

Yeah, I heard that at the weekend while drinking in Blackrock.

It was voted best restaurant in Bray in 2014 for what it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yeah, I heard that at the weekend while drinking in Blackrock.

It was voted best restaurant in Bray in 2014 for what it's worth.
    by whom? They must have no taste buds. I've been to the barracuda 5 times, and only once by choice. Food is bog standard, service is slow and inaccurate. Nephew ordered fish, they served him up a steak even though no one at the table even ordered steak.

Campo the italian restaurant opposite it, is much much better and in or around the same price too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

by whom?

Bray Chamber of Commerce, no less. Michelin called in to try it out for a star but they got on the wrong Dart's and gave it to Bon Appetit in Malahide. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

oblivious wrote: »

Away games against Bray Wanderers on Saturdays from next season: a JDW and the Harbour Bar within walking distance of the ground

Sorted. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,253 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

anncoates wrote: »
    Away games against Bray Wanderers on Saturdays from next season: a JDW and the Harbour Bar within walking distance of the ground

Don't force them to bring in a no club colours rule like in Enger-land :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Harbour Bar is a dire place, living off it's own legend.

Just had lunch in my local spoons in Essex, Baked potato with chilli and a salad and a large mug of coffee £ 3.86.

The healthy stuff, pasta etc is not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,272 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Someone in the Galway city forum claims JDW have agreed to open in the former Cottage bar in Lower Salthill, announcing in a couple of weeks so he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Someone in the Galway city forum claims JDW have agreed to open in the former Cottage bar in Lower Salthill, announcing in a couple of weeks so he says.

That's far too small for a weatherspoons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,272 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

RasTa wrote: »

Yep id agree but thats what the rumours say. Very few/if any large sized venues available in Galway though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yep id agree but thats what the rumours say. Very few/if any large sized venues available in Galway though.

Are you just thinking pubs and restaurants though, look at the premises they bought in Waterford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

RasTa wrote: »
    Big enough if you include all the rooms though isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Big enough if you include all the rooms though isn't it?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Any update on the time frame for the Swords and Dublin City locations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought the Cottage in Salthill was being run by GBB? Have they pulled out of late?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,113 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Was in the Forty Foot today, food was ok, prices obviously very good and the building is nice (though much more of a restaurant than a bar), but the service was atrocious - not sure I'd go back. Was there for 2 hours, I'd say I spent 40 minutes of that queuing to order; I had to ask a waiter to go and find our food twice and I was overcharged (and saw someone else also complaining of being overcharged).

They have a lot of staff wandering around the place, it would be much simpler to give them tablets and let them take the orders rather than their farcical "go to the bar" system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

loyatemu wrote: »
    They have a lot of staff wandering around the place, it would be much simpler to give them tablets and let them take the orders rather than their farcical "go to the bar" system.

Unless the tablets were attached to the staff by sturdy chains, they would probably go 'missing' before long plus you have the issue of how to handle the cash - they'd all need cash (float) bags and credit card machines.

But I agree that it's silly that they can't at least go and get the coffee that you paid for when you ordered your meal, it really annoys me when I'm in the TTT and have to go back to the counter for my coffee even if there's lots of staff flouncing around with nothing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

In my personal opinion having been to both a few times, there's a problem in the 40ft as regards service, the long bar needs more staff, something the TTT doesn't have to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,113 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

coylemj wrote: »
    Unless the tablets were attached to the staff by sturdy chains, they would probably go 'missing' before long plus you have the issue of how to handle the cash - they'd all need cash (float) bags and credit card machines.

other restaurants manage this fine, who do you think would steal the tablets?; Wetherspoons are trying to re-invent the wheel. If it resulted in better service, fine, but it doesn't.

After queueing to order the food, I had to go back and queue again (for 20 minutes) to order coffee and cake. I got the coffee straight away, the cake arrived 25 minutes later... While I was queuing others were going straight to the bar and then getting into arguments with the people in the queue, then other queues would form at a different parts of the bar. This is not a good system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I don't get the point of their ordering system - it doesn't appear to be necessary as part of their low-cost model (what I mean by that is that it doesn't seem to save them money), as a lot of people have already said it is very inefficient and time consuming for the customer. How come I was able to go into the Brew Dock over the weekend, have a member of staff come over and take my order, and hey presto 10 minutes later my food was in front of me? I paid when I was finished - simple, straightforward! How is JDW making this so complicated??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Waiting staff are inefficient, mainly because customers are rubbish at ordering and waste staff time. If you make them decide at the table and then order at the bar it speeds up the whole process . It also prevents people leaving without paying and means they can see what drinks are available at the bar rather asking the waiter to rhyme off what's on cask etc. There's a reason this model works across the board for lots of business, not just for Wetherspoons but McDonalds, Starbucks etc. There's plenty of local pubs that don't do table service too.

To me, it sounds like the Dublin Wetherspoons need to get their staff trained up much more than they currently are.

other restaurants manage this fine, who do you think would steal the tablets?; Wetherspoons are trying to re-invent the wheel. If it resulted in better service, fine, but it doesn't.

Any restaurant or pub I've been to where the waiters have handheld gadgets do not ask for payment upfront. Most places want you to leave open the option of ordering dessert and/or coffee so it makes commercial sense to leave the paying to the end of the meal.
    After queueing to order the food, I had to go back and queue again (for 20 minutes) to order coffee and cake. I got the coffee straight away, the cake arrived 25 minutes later... While I was queuing others were going straight to the bar and then getting into arguments with the people in the queue, then other queues would form at a different parts of the bar. This is not a good system.

Agree that it leads to messy situations as you described. I can just about handle queuing in McDonalds but at least there are usually separate queues so you know where you stand - in JDW there seems to be no order to the queuing and the staff don't seem to care if the people who were there first get served first.

dregin wrote: »

Dregin posted the above link with no comment and like me, a lot of you probably ignored it but I found it on Twitter and it's worth checking out. It's a 2m 41s movie report where Conor Pope checks out the TTT. You will need sound and it's safe to view at work.

A few things to note....

1. It's clearly made with the co-operation of the pub as there are shots from behind the counter.

2. It's not long enough to cover every aspect of the business so topics that have been widely discussed here like queuing and the quality of the staff isn't touched.

3. IMHO it's a fair and balanced report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That article feels mostly like a sop to counteract Una Mullaly's rather deranged rant against JDW a few months ago in the same paper.

BMJD wrote: »
    I don't get the point of their ordering system - it doesn't appear to be necessary as part of their low-cost model (what I mean by that is that it doesn't seem to save them money), as a lot of people have already said it is very inefficient and time consuming for the customer. How come I was able to go into the Brew Dock over the weekend, have a member of staff come over and take my order, and hey presto 10 minutes later my food was in front of me? I paid when I was finished - simple, straightforward! How is JDW making this so complicated??

They need a ticketing system. The bars are very long, the staff cant tell whos next. On a Friday evening its manic.

Saying that for 20 quid on Sunday eve, I had dinner, dessert, coffee and quite a few bottles of brew dog. So I'm not complaining.

They were doing a full roast dinner inc a pint for £5.80 !

Last time I was back home in my local town, for lunch I had a pint and a baguette, which was served with salad and crisps on the side it cost me 18 euro.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They need a ticketing system. The bars are very long, the staff cant tell whos next. On a Friday evening its manic..

How would a ticketing system work? The staff just need to get used to busy nights and learn how to keep an eye on what order people approached the bar.

irish_goat wrote: »
    How would a ticketing system work? The staff just need to get used to busy nights and learn how to keep an eye on what order people approached the bar.

If they could take more than one order, that would be great.

irish_goat wrote: »

Some of their bars are 30m meters long. It can take 15 mins to get served.

Take a ticket with a number, a number flashes , hand your ticket to the staff, when its your turn, get served. Stops queue jumpers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement