Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poitin

Options
  • 01-02-2015 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you guys drink with poitin? It's nice with orange juice but haven't tried it with anything else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I could only ever manage drinking it mixed with hot water..
    I assume we are talking about proper poitin and not the shop sold stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I could only ever manage drinking it mixed with hot water..
    I assume we are talking about proper poitin and not the shop sold stuff?

Shop sold stuff??? Yuck

Oh it's the proper stuff. My father said it's nice with orange juice and it's actually quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Few drop's of hot tabasco sauce & slam it :eek:

A fiery Irish red head...HUZZAH :D

Do not smoke after you slam, especially if you have a voluminous beard...

Long story :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Did it turn you into a dragon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Makes grand punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

woodturner wrote: »
    Shop sold stuff??? Yuck
    have you had them all/many? I see 6 on sale in celtic whiskey shop and 2 different ones in tesco not in celtic whiskey shop, and a few others on wikipedia.

And how would you define "proper poitin", obviously you are inferring its illegal, but what other characteristics?

Most I have tasted tasted pretty bad and was fairly low %, people thought it was high as it was hard to drink, but that was just because of the vile taste. I am fairly alright at estimating %.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Whats a 'proper Poitin' and why are the commercial varieties not considered 'proper'?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

drumswan wrote: »
    Whats a 'proper Poitin' and why are the commercial varieties not considered 'proper'?

Made by a mate of your grandfather in his shed, I imagine.

The commercial poitin I've had is bloody awful - although based on everything else I've had from the same distillery (West Cork) its the most drinkable as you can just drown it in Irn Bru to mask the flavour.

• Advertisement

The shop sold Poitin just doesn't compare to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The powers that be are currently trying to define poitin. It looks like any vodka on the market could be called poitin in the future.

Poitin is just unaged whiskey, really.

The shop sold Poitin just doesn't compare to the other.

Why?

Why?

There's more alcohol in it than compared to shop bought which gives it more of kick. And it does actually taste better, it's kinda hard to describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The powers that be are currently trying to define poitin. It looks like any vodka on the market could be called poitin in the future.

Poitin is just unaged whiskey, really.

What is the backround to it being illegal; is it 800 years of oppression or down to dodgy preparation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Ipso wrote: »
    What is the backround to it being illegal; is it 800 years of oppression or down to dodgy preparation?

Reasons its illegal
    1) it brings joy
    2)makes a few pound.most fellas sell a few bottles to a brother, neighbour etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Best way to drink it is with a drop of water, and shoot it. Its not supposed to be drank with finesse or with your cheeseboard. Its a tool to get drunk with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Now that 45 gallons of molasses are not so common what do they use to make the mash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Mesrine65 wrote: »

We have plenty of time, also do you have pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Now that 45 gallons of molasses are not so common what do they use to make the mash

thats a rum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

i know in west cork its fading out due to the 15 euro bottle of tesco value gin meeting the demand for a cheap fix of alcohol. but its still in demand as a rub for animals.... and also there are still semi-artisan poitins available on the "black market"... if you know the man who knows man he can get you the stuff. The good stuff usually has been produced by the same family for generations with little change to the methods.

It's illegal because you're not paying tax on it. As a producer you're making a taxable spirit. As a buyer you should pay tax on it also.

There's more alcohol in it than compared to shop bought which gives it more of kick. And it does actually taste better, it's kinda hard to describe.

But sure everyone makes a different version of 'Poitin' surely. You can make it from all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I used to have a small bottle of first run for animal emergencies. I don't think I would have tried to drink it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ipso wrote: »

Distilling spirits without a license is illegal.
    In Ireland, illegal spirits became known as poitin.
    Poitin could be made from anything fermentable. Good poitin would be made from grain. Bad poitin from sugar and water.
    What pretty much all poitin has in common is that it is an unaged white spirit.

There is no evidence that poitin is/was made from potatoes as is commonly believed.
    Apparently, it is very difficult to extract fermentable sugars from potatoes.

We have plenty of time, also do you have pictures
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94159321&postcount=20 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

nice as hot whiskey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Has been used for years in bars mixing it with real whiskey, after a feed of guinness on a Friday after pension or mass on Sunday getting a tonic of poteen and whiskey you would never notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

On the subject of poitin, a polish guy is getting me a bottle of their version of back shelf brew.called brenbear or something along those lines...
    Had an argument with him about which is stronger :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Why?
    Cos it's cooler to say you know a guy, who knows a guy, who might be able to get you some, than to buy it in a shop. :rolleyes:
    There is a poteen available in Celtic Whiskey shop that is 90%, http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Irish-Spirits-and-Liqueurs-Home-Page/knockeen-hills-extra-strength
    That should be comparable to the "bandit" made stuff, strength wise any way.

Advertisement