Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-limerick-motorway-benefits-outweigh-costs-376577.html

Further proof that Pascal and Leo have been bullsh*tting the people of Cork and Limerick.

the two of them, are bullshi**ers of the highest order, like the rest of them... Even with our infrastructure deficit, we are spending nearly the least in europe as a % of GDP on infrastructure. It is hard to make educated guesses on anything though, when you dont know what is going on in those snakes head on any issue. If they were reluctant for larger infrastructure spend this year and prefer to spend more on welfare increases and income tax cuts (which they feel will win more votes than spending on infrastructure, which might well be the case) why not re-secure election and from 2017 with power achieved again, increase areas of spending which desperately need it, but arent attractive vote grabbers for many of the electorate (well away from any election)...

this seems to me to be one way around the joke that is the irish electorate, you still maintain power, but you can govern far more responsibly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

jgbyr wrote: »
    As a constituent of Cork North West, the majority of electroral leaflets so far have made a big mention of the M20. Jason Fitzgerald (Renua), Michael Moynihan (FF) and John Paul O'Shea have all mentioned the issue. Yet Enda is coming out saying it won't happen, it's getting to the stage where this road is becoming an issue yet it's all passing over FG's heads.

Building a small road around Mallow is not a substitute for this scheme. Cork may have got 3 projects in the Capital plan but those projects were needed 10 years ago let alone now. There is still major upgrades needed on the N22 (the gap between the two DC's), N40 (North Ring Road), N71 (dual carraigeway upgrade), N25 (Killeagh/Castlemartyr).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The M20 topic has become somewhat of a political football with the upcoming election with everyone bar Fine Gael promising it.

The Social Democrats have erected motorway signage about it from the end of the current M20 to the border with County Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

marno21 wrote: »
    The M20 topic has become somewhat of a political football with the upcoming election with everyone bar Fine Gael promising it.

The Social Democrats have erected motorway signage about it from the end of the current M20 to the border with County Cork.

They're up around Mallow and New Twopothouse as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Then vote for everyone bar FG would be the sensible thing to do :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭cjpm

The latest Transport Minister to mothball the M20 is in danger of losing his seat. Now that would make my day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I see FG are due to lose a seat in Cork North West as well. Payback for mothballing the M20 perhaps? I think Paschal is actually safe by the way, but God only knows what kind of Government we're going to be left with at the end of all of this.

I see FG are due to lose a seat in Cork North West as well. Payback for mothballing the M20 perhaps? I think Paschal is actually safe by the way, but God only knows what kind of Government we're going to be left with at the end of all of this.

FG losing a seat in Cork North West has nothing to do with the M20. It wasn't really an issue here.

FG losing a seat in Cork North West has nothing to do with the M20. It wasn't really an issue here.

Fair enough. Was just wondering if it was part of the reason for their seat loss, given the level of coverage it got in the constituency.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Was just wondering if it was part of the reason for their seat loss, given the level of coverage it got in the constituency.

In the end, almost all discussion of it was in the Cork East and Limerick constituencies that it runs through.

Will be interesting to see what government is created from an infrastructure point of view, although I don't think you can do any worse than FG.

Was watching the Vincent Browne debate for Cork East there in the last few days, and Sean Sherlock said the M20 was not feasible at present due to the "1.2 billion euro pricetag". The M20 was valued at €800 million around 2009 when it also included an Adare bypass. Where has the extra 400 mil come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I have been a regular visitor to horse shows in Millstreet over the past few years.It is 200km approx from where I live in the Midlands to Millstreet and the worst part of the journey is travelling on the N20.It appears to get worse everytime I travel on it,especially after coming off the M7 & M20.I'm glad I do not have to travel on it everday.It's a disgrace that it has not been upgraded and is unlikely to be anytime soon.

In the end, almost all discussion of it was in the Cork East and Limerick constituencies that it runs through.

Will be interesting to see what government is created from an infrastructure point of view, although I don't think you can do any worse than FG.

Was watching the Vincent Browne debate for Cork East there in the last few days, and Sean Sherlock said the M20 was not feasible at present due to the "1.2 billion euro pricetag". The M20 was valued at €800 million around 2009 when it also included an Adare bypass. Where has the extra 400 mil come from?

Fair point. Interesting that it doesn't seem to have impacted on the Government parties in those constituencies, but I think the way things have gone, I don't think the Government's commitments on infrastructure (or lack thereof) is the reason for them losing so many seats, though. But that's enough of the politics!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

from an infrastructure point of view.... I don't think you can do any worse than FG.

And then some....they are the absolute zero in terms of infrastructure.

I often say there is no difference between FF and FG (generally true) - but in terms of providing infrastructure they are chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

And then some....they are the absolute zero in terms of infrastructure.

I often say there is no difference between FF and FG (generally true) - but in terms of providing infrastructure they are chalk and cheese.

Yeah, one had loads of money during a time of great prosperity the other took the reins when we had the IMF in, great comparison:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: can we skip the politics - this is the roads forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mod: can we skip the politics - this is the roads forum.

It is relevant, to be fair.

Some political parties are in favour of the construction of the M20. Others aren't. That fact shouldn't be swept under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

zulutango wrote: »
    Some political parties are in favour of the construction of the M20. Others aren't. That fact shouldn't be swept under the carpet.

Some say they are, some say they are not.

Realistically in my opinion it's all the same, you'll have to push any of the parties hard to get the M20.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

zulutango wrote: »
    It is relevant, to be fair.

I do not allow in thread discussion of mod instructions so be warned.

I accept that it is relevant but keep the politics out of it. Do not mention political parties or name politicians.

All politicians are in favour of motherhood and apple pie, but they rarely deliver. With that in mind, they have sanctioned several motorways but just not this one. They have also not sanctioned any rail projects including DU, MN, the Clongriffin/airport link, nor the Maynooth or Hazlehatch electrification.

You are not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

While noting Sam Russell's point, it's hard not to glance at the political issue at this specific time.

If the voters of Cork East and Limerick really wanted a motorway as a major issue, how come:

Cork East: 2 of 3 TDs re-elected. The 4th retired.
    Limerick: 3 of 3 TDs re-elected.

So only 1 incumbent lost a seat. Hardly gives grounds for compelling any action being taken in next 5 years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Look this should be taken to another topic, but M20 isn't all Cork East, by a long stretch. Most of Cork East constituents don't use N20. It's a Cork North Central, Cork North West issue. The boundary between the Cork constituencies is total nonsense. If you were from the area you'd understand better, it's not something easily visible on a map. Apologies to admin. Feel free to delete.

On the M20, given that the whole concept of an M20 is currently pie-in-the-sky, should we change focus to N20 piecemeal upgrade to HCDC? It seems clear that the M20 does not gain traction within Leinster House. Precisely because of politics. But could it instead be better for the different areas to fight for bypasses? Particularly Buttevant and the surrounding area is a black spot for traffic. Even widening these roads to include hard shoulders and remove the 90 degree bends could yield big benefits?

Look this should be taken to another topic, but M20 isn't all Cork East, by a long stretch. Most of Cork East constituents don't use N20. It's a Cork North Central, Cork North West issue. The boundary between the Cork constituencies is total nonsense. If you were from the area you'd understand better, it's not something easily visible on a map. Apologies to admin. Feel free to delete.

On the M20, given that the whole concept of an M20 is currently pie-in-the-sky, should we change focus to N20 piecemeal upgrade to HCDC? It seems clear that the M20 does not gain traction within Leinster House. Precisely because of politics. But could it instead be better for the different areas to fight for bypasses? Particularly Buttevant and the surrounding area is a black spot for traffic. Even widening these roads to include hard shoulders and remove the 90 degree bends could yield big benefits?

Cork East = Mallow. Plus you had Sherlock waffling on last year about how he was going to get it built and all he got was a reduced cheap little relief road for Mallow. Which has not progressed one bit since it was included in the capital plan.

This should be a motorway and nothing less. Why should it be built to reduced spec. This country is facing a transport crisis and nothing is being done about it. Roads such as this, the Macroom bypas and the N28 were needed 10 years ago and there's no urgency to get them built. The disgraceful condition of the road network in Co. Cork, Co. Kerry and Co. Limerick is stifling economic development. Sherlock and the like can ramble on about Ornua building plants in Mitchelstown and building prefabs but until people can move around his constituency at more than 50km/h there will be no development in East and North Cork

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This should be a motorway and nothing less. Why should it be built to reduced spec. This country is facing a transport crisis and nothing is being done about it. Roads such as this, the Macroom bypas and the N28 were needed 10 years ago and there's no urgency to get them built. The disgraceful condition of the road network in Co. Cork, Co. Kerry and Co. Limerick is stifling economic development. Sherlock and the like can ramble on about Ornua building plants in Mitchelstown and building prefabs but until people can move around his constituency at more than 50km/h there will be no development in East and North Cork

HQDC is motorway spec without the blue signs. I'd have no issue if they broke it up into smaller schemes to get it built.

HQDC is motorway spec without the blue signs. I'd have no issue if they broke it up into smaller schemes to get it built.
    Apologies, misread your post. The stress of having to drive in a long queue down the N20 this evening must have been affecting my vision. :P

Still though, should be built as M along its length, even if its piecemeal. I would start with north of Mallow to Cork including North Ring Rd east. Would relieve a lot of issues in Mallow which will be exasperated by the expansion of Dairygold and the fact that the road network in the Mallow network is already ridiculously sub-par.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Apologies, misread your post. The stress of having to drive in a long queue down the N20 this evening must have been affecting my vision. :P

Still though, should be built as M along its length, even if its piecemeal. I would start with north of Mallow to Cork including North Ring Rd east. Would relieve a lot of issues in Mallow which will be exasperated by the expansion of Dairygold and the fact that the road network in the Mallow network is already ridiculously sub-par.

Yeah I think you're taking me up wrong, I'm asking whether breaking it up and/or downgrading to HQDC would ultimately get it over the line faster, getting the full M status in time, but alleviating some of the pressure in the meantime.

What I'm saying about Cork East also, is that the majority of Cork East population don't use the N20. I do realise that Mallow's in Cork East, but remember Cobh, Youghal, Midleton, Carrigtwohill, Fermoy, Mitchelstown aren't agitating for this needed road. It's used by more people from Mallow, North Central and North West. So the constituency boundary actually messes with the road development in the worst possible way also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Buttevant still aint finished :( The finished parts or what looked like finished parts still have drain covers sticking out of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Work going ahead on the main roundabout in Mallow according to reports today as Dairygold have agreed to front the cash... its going to be ridiculous at peak times during the works :(

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

irishfeen wrote: »
    Work going ahead on the main roundabout in Mallow according to reports today as Dairygold have agreed to front the cash... its going to be ridiculous at peak times during the works :(

What are the plans for the roundabout there?

The 2+1 section works haven't finished yet either. So with all the money spent and disruption caused on this roundabout works, the 2+1 section & Buttevant works we'll be left essentially with the same road with just a good surface on it. It's something I suppose but it could have been so much more.

neddynasty wrote: »
    What are the plans for the roundabout there?

The 2+1 section works haven't finished yet either. So with all the money spent and disruption caused on this roundabout works, the 2+1 section & Buttevant works we'll be left essentially with the same road with just a good surface on it. It's something I suppose but it could have been so much more.

2+1 works are going ahead until December.

Such a mess of roadworks and very little net gain in the finish. If the M20 goes ahead then there'll be more years of roadworks around Croom and between Mallow and Cork as so much of the build will be online.

• Advertisement

According to a post on skyscrapercity, FF will not enter into any programme of government without this scheme included. It is their priority #1, 2nd of which is the M21 Adare bypass, however that is being progressed as part of the Limerick-Foynes scheme.

Advertisement