Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Regs changing? "Imminent changes"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Great, but there is NO detail..

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Hairy mellon

as with all information from the department, the devil is in the detail...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

here is a link to his actual speech which always give more information than extracts for anyone interested

http://cif.ie/news-feed/news/499-ciri-reception-with-minister-alan-kelly.html

the video is well worth watching imo- gives context and sets the tone.

kelly does not sound very convincing when he goes off script

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

kkelliher wrote: »
    here is a link to his actual speech which always give more information than extracts for anyone interested

http://cif.ie/news-feed/news/499-ciri-reception-with-minister-alan-kelly.html

At 15.16: "Having said that [......Priory Hall type incidents must never be allowed happen again] we cannot be using a mallet to crack a nut, and in relation to some Building Regulations I will propose some amendments, particularly in relation to self-build, one-off houses and extensions, because I think some change is needed in that whole area as I believe..........I know.......the Regulations are too onerous for people and myself and Minister Coffey will be working on that".

• Advertisement

Chisler2 wrote: »
    At 15.16: "Having said that [......Priory Hall type incidents must never be allowed happen again] we cannot be using a mallet to crack a nut, and in relation to some Building Regulations I will propose some amendments, particularly in relation to self-build, one-off houses and extensions, because I think some change is needed in that whole area as I believe..........I know.......the Regulations are too onerous for people and myself and Minister Coffey will be working on that".

it will be interesting to see how they work this. have stringent rules on one side and relaxed rules on another. Somehow I don't believe that will make for good regulation.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it will be interesting to see how they work this. have stringent rules on one side and relaxed rules on another. Somehow I don't believe that will make for good regulation.

i definitely think there should be a differentiation in the regulations between a domestic building procured for ones one habitation (self build / extension) and a domestic building procured for development and sale (apartment blocks / housing estates etc)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i definitely think there should be a differentiation in the regulations between a domestic building procured for ones one habitation (self build / extension) and a domestic building procured for development and sale (apartment blocks / housing estates etc)

But how can you guarantee this. Its not like you can lock in a requirement to live then for x number of years as you cant undo the differential in terms of build quality after it has being built? I agree completely on the extension side of things but on single one off builds, I cant see how you can have different rules for a one off developer and a one off self builder.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Unfortunately, the new regs will not ensure a better build for any type of development. A little trickier, but, there will still be cowboys under the new regs.

But how can you guarantee this. Its not like you can lock in a requirement to live then for x number of years as you cant undo the differential in terms of build quality after it has being built? I agree completely on the extension side of things but on single one off builds, I cant see how you can have different rules for a one off developer and a one off self builder.

well when i was referring to "developer" led projects i wasnt referring to one off developers for sale.
    If you look at social housing theres a cut off of 4 units before section 8 kicks in.
    If you look at planning a lot of councils impose an occupancy condition for rural dwellings.
    If you look at the old 'housing grant' scheme there was a cut off point of a certain floor area

... point being that there are always was to separate the wheat from the chaff, if i can use that analogy.

• Advertisement

well when i was referring to "developer" led projects i wasnt referring to one off developers for sale.
    If you look at social housing theres a cut off of 4 units before section 8 kicks in.
    If you look at planning a lot of councils impose an occupancy condition for rural dwellings.
    If you look at the old 'housing grant' scheme there was a cut off point of a certain floor area

... point being that there are always was to separate the wheat from the chaff, if i can use that analogy.

fully agreed and each of the above had an ability of rectification if not complied with. This is the issue I see with the proposal. I also find it hard to see how any system could justify having a housing estate on the edge of a village built to meet a specific standard and a one off house 500m down the road not.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the new regs will not ensure a better build for any type of development. A little trickier, but, there will still be cowboys under the new regs.

completely agree, but like debating all legislation we must read it on the face on the assumption everyones complies.

fully agreed and each of the above had an ability of rectification if not complied with. This is the issue I see with the proposal. I also find it hard to see how any system could justify having a housing estate on the edge of a village built to meet a specific standard and a one off house 500m down the road not.

well, to be fair, the "specific standard" to be built to doesnt change at all, they are still the building regulations.

the problem is should you apply the same "due diligence" standard to a 40 sq m extension, as you would to a 200 unit apartment block, where the cost of the said 'due diligence' is a much much higher percentage of total costs the smaller the project becomes.

well, to be fair, the "specific standard" to be built to doesnt change at all, they are still the building regulations.

the problem is should you apply the same "due diligence" standard to a 40 sq m extension, as you would to a 200 unit apartment block, where the cost of the said 'due diligence' is a much much higher percentage of total costs the smaller the project becomes.

I agree extensions should not form part (up to a certain size) but I do believe a one off house should have the same due diligence (pro rata based on its size) to a 200 unit apartment block. It should be noted that the 200 unit apartment block will be paying a hefty fee for the privilege so you have to be some way consistent across the sector.

to be clear, I'm not saying I agree with the legislation I just believe you have to apply it, in whatever guise it happens to be, across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

I believe refurbishments which exceed a set no of m2 (40 is as good a number as any) should require DC AC and competent contractor appointments. That would be a good change.

I also think the law should reflect a "make your own bed and lie in it" approach. Let the self builder who "will never sell" his house be afforded the opportunity of a parralel less onerous process. And let those who eventually buy the house later see this.

I also think the law should reflect a "make your own bed and lie in it" approach. Let the self builder who "will never sell" his house be afforded the opportunity of a parralel less onerous process. And let those who eventually buy the house later see this.

Is that not what we already have?. Surely a building control system should be that, a control system of all not just parts of the built environment (and again I am not saying what we have is acceptable, I am talking about the system itself in whatever way it is arranged)

Is that not what we already have?. Surely a building control system should be that, a control system of all not just parts of the built environment (and again I am not saying what we have is acceptable, I am talking about the system itself in whatever way it is arranged)

we can throw a stone from our jurisdiction to another jurisdiction where the system works fine.

ive said it before and ill say it again.

SI9 created a system where the people with all the power have no responsibility, and the people with all the responsibility have no power.

that system is simply mindbogglingly wrong.

The people who are responsible for ensuring the regulations are complied with should be given every power to do so in an independent manner.

the big problem is self-certification can't work without a register of builders.

this means self-building will be finished as soon as CIRI gets put on a statutory footing next year.

if it doesnt' then we have properly regulated everyone else except builders- the one group that need regulation and policing.

this is the inherent contradiction-

Surely a building control system should be that, a control system of all not just parts of the built environment (and again I am not saying what we have is acceptable, I am talking about the system itself in whatever way it is arranged)

Agreed but I am starting from where we are.

In response to a criminal being allowed to "develop" a firetrap set of apartments we have today SI 9 2014. A one size fits all response heralded by all 3 professional associations whose members it advantages together with the Law Society whose members also set to benefit. For failures occurring under SI 9 will only be remedied in our courts as SI 9 seeks to distance the State from it's Citizens. The most persistent objection to SI9 is from the self builders association whose members know damn well how to build their own house thank you very much and do no need anybody to tell them how. Or to put it another way they care not to add builders profits or professional fees onto the cost of the monthly mortgage.

We have local authorities with very little stomach for exercising the powers the BCA 1990 endows them with for that has proved very costly for them indeed in the aftermath of Priory Hall. Not as costly as it was for the occupiers but then they literally have to die before an intransigent minister responds. His pyrite remediation fund is something of a geographical lottery - your house may literally be crumbling apart but if you live in the wrong county then that's just too bad.

So I am sort of selecting the nicest lipstick for the gorilla here for to expect good governance and regulation for our once sovereign almost independent nation - well I don't hold out much hope.

SI 9 Mark II could be split into 2 parts - Part 1 to cover all buildings apart from self-build- one-off-owner-to-occupy-houses. Part 2 to cover only self-build- one-off-owner-to-occupy-houses. The self builder to be required to sign a stat dec. declaring / undertaking that a)this will be their only residence and that b) they will live in it for a min of 7 years and that c) they have not built in a similar fashion in the previous 7 years - or something similar.

They must appoint DC and AC but they can un-ambiguously declare themselves the builder (the part about principal or director of a building company to be omitted). The wordings of the clients appointments and of the DC AC undertakings and certificates to be altered to more evenly spread the liability back into the laps of those self builders "who know best" how to build their own homes after all. This should give reduce the risks to the professionals such that they can scale back the hours to provide only that service which the market will tolerate. ( Just show up and sign the certs ).

This is how I see things going.

I can see the DECLG introducing an ill-conceived "patch" like the SI.105 derogation

due to the unweildy and uncertain procedure set up only a handful of schools have availed of this

expect something similar for once-off builders etc.

the current confusion regarding the most basic part of the regs, the 40Sqm 'cumulative' exemption from provisions under BC(A)R SI.9, is demonstration enough that the department are only discovering themselves what they have introduced 9 months on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

We have local authorities with very little stomach for exercising the powers the BCA 1990 endows them with for that has proved very costly for them indeed in the aftermath of Priory Hall. .

If it's costly it's because the LA's and other 'professionals' failed miserably in their own job. There were certs produced by all & sundry that PH complied, when it patently didn't. The LA and others should be paying for their own mistakes, but no, the whole country gets saddled with SI9 instead.

Laws, without proper oversight & enforcement are completely meaningless, and actually lead to diminution - an ass of a law is far more likely to be more honoured in being ignored than followed. Add more laws on top of that just makes things worse.

Ergo, where we (all) are now.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

No argument there galwaytt.

So what the minister will do - I believe - is dilute SI 9 down for the self builder / home extender because they know best how to do that.
    And otherwise off we go business as usual.

Nothing else will change and I mean that in the big picture sense.
    Developers are simply a few cheque signings removed from self certification
    The LA's can continue their 20+ years policy of housing themeselves in finer accomodations whilst evading their BCA 1990 granted powers and responsibilities
    The profesionals will continue to extract the max benefit they can from the circumstances.
    And if you buy a new home - well fingers crossed as always. Hope you know a good lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

SI9 is out there and in place and although we all know it should have been done differently I'm fairly sure we're stuck with it.

With that in mind - any adjustments/relaxations that come about will probably be by way of supporting legislation rather than a rewrite.

So what's the best that can be accomplished without a complete rewrite?

I honestly believe it would be counter-productive and dangerous to dilute or relax the requirements for self-build/one-off/extension projects. We all know the building regulations have not been changed but to the average punter (and to the average cowboy) a relaxation in SI9 supervisory requirements for one-off houses would lead them to believe that they can cut corners on build quality on one-off developments. We all know plenty of very poor quality houses built during the boom, by both cowboys and well meaning uneducated "self-builders." I fear a relaxation of SI9 would bring us back to those days.

Albeit with terribly written legislation we are at last on the path to some sort of system that would give people purchasing homes a standardised/uniform certification system they can chase up - and combined with mandatory qualifications for AC and CIRI it's the start of a process that may eventually lead to a trustworthy stock of one-off houses.

Having said all that I think changes can be implemented for one-off domestic projects that will give people the confidence that all buildings are built/supervised to an appropriate standard whilst reducing the burden of cost on the client and the burden of liability on the certifier:
    • I think direction and clarity with regard to inspection regimes and an associated set of standardised inspection reports (agreed with PI insurers) may be possible for domestic houses.
    • I hate saying this (because it means more hassle for me!) but the quagmire of the holy trinity is a mess and a independant qualification could be implemented for Assigned Certifiers (think BER Assessor but implemented 1000 times better). It could have different levels of qualification for different project sizes if needed. (i.e. less onerous test for single domestic dwelling to 10 storey office block.)
    • A more unified approach amongst Local Authority's regarding Commencement Notices could easily be implemented with appropriate standard checklists and processes.
    • Seperately a clarification/direction regarding the role of Building Control Officers is required.

Sorry for the long post. I hope it makes sense. It was a stream of thought rather than a planned tome!

Good post Drift.

I too think the SEAI system of spliting building types into 3 groupings ( houses-hotels-hospitals being my own shorthand) and with a sliding scale of qualifications to match with respect to DC AC services has merit.

Peolple WANT to be free to build their own homes "to the regs - but not going mad , like" and sadly I belive that is the narrow short sighted political view on it too. Domestics will revert to as you were. For worse , not better. Let them lie in their own beds makes perfect cynical Irish political sense.

My own view is that it is a massive mistake to take at face value that SI 9 is about building standards.

Where has anybody publicly argued this?

- self builders bleat about costs
    - designers and cetifiers bleat about liabilities
    - LA's are content to become filing depositories only.They won't even warrant that the information they validate is complete and correct - and will quickly point to where in BCA 1990 they are allowed to behave so
    - CIF are delighted. A new quango to generate an income stream and forms of certifications that passes the buck onto others
    - Dept of Finance is happy as it beleives will yeild more taxes from a now more compliant construction industry.

The true purpose is to protect the state from it's citizens - and it does that rather well I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

The true purpose is to protect the state from it's citizens - and it does that rather well I believe.

QFT!

But it's more complicated than that because the state IS its citizens! It's a viscious circle of no-one wanting to take responsibility because each party is afraid they will be the ONLY one taking responsibility and will be stuck with the responsibility for others.

Hence we end up with an Irish solution to an Irish problem where the people who can dissociate themselves from responsibility do so at the expense of those who can't!

If you tried to make it up people would laugh

its FUBAR

latest issue is a lack of procedure and clarity for completion stage for multiple units.

it's heading towards farce now...

interesting 2 page article on RIAI in the village magazine today...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

interesting 2 page article on RIAI in the village magazine today...

What was the article about?

Tried looking for Village Magazine yesterday but could not find it.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What was the article about?

Tried looking for Village Magazine yesterday but could not find it.

Its 2 full pages documenting recent resignations, misstatements by presiden and conflicts of interest for ceo. Mentions untendered payments to staff family members etc. Quotes from recent resignation letters. It reads that organisation is very like a new imo or rehab.

Advertisement