Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas The Tank Engine is 'classist, sexist and racist'

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That's a fair point, don't think I ever saw plastic Soviets.

they were available, although many of them looked suspiciously like Americans except done in clay red plastic instead of green.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tony EH wrote: »
    That's the greatest thing I've seen all week.

Sometimes I just have to admire the sheer level of "not giving a fuck" that the Japanese have.

:pac:
    TBH I'm not sure that Japanese culture is quite aware of where the "fcuk" is in the first place. Not when it comes to their take on western culture anyway. It can get very odd indeed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Good old Island of Sodor. A place about the size of the Phoenix Park, with a population of about 47 people, and a railway network that blows the New York City Subway system out of the water. Some farmer has flooding on his farm? Send up two steam engines with five flatbed carriages to move seven sheep a few hundred feet up the hill. Now have them rush off to the other side of the island to pick up the balloons for some kid's birthday party.

Nobody ever questioned why the transportation budget must have been about 60,000% of the tax revenue the island was capable of generating. They must have been been digging up wads of thousand-pound notes in the mines they occasionally mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Gandhi wrote: »
    Good old Island of Sodor. A place about the size of the Phoenix Park, with a population of about 47 people, and a railway network that blows the New York City Subway system out of the water. Some farmer has flooding on his farm? Send up two steam engines with five flatbed carriages to move seven sheep a few hundred feet up the hill. Now have them rush off to the other side of the island to pick up the balloons for some kid's birthday party.

Nobody ever questioned why the transportation budget must have been about 60,000% of the tax revenue the island was capable of generating. They must have been been digging up wads of thousand-pound notes in the mines they occasionally mentioned.

From the tone of the original article I'm guessing that the 47 we see are the elite overlords while the rest of the islands population (the indigenous population I'm going to assume) are deep in the aforementioned mines funding the dictatorial Fat Controller and his many vanity projects such as the railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

The other thing was that the thin controller would get around on his bicycle all the time. Showing kids the benefits of cardio. I can't remember how the fat controller got around. Probably an SUV, or just made the trains take him. The original article also seemed to confuse Sir Topham Hat and the fat controller. Two different fat dudes. Do all fat guys look the same to her??? Fattist!!!!

Edit: Just found out that the Fat Controller and Sir Topham Hatt ARE the same person. He is called "The Fat Controller" in Europe but the US version changed him to "Sir Topham Hatt". My kids watch both versions so I got confused. I am the one who is the Fattist!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

In todays news: one person's (probably disingenuous) opinion about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭blackwhite

cloud493 wrote: »

Strange how I guessed correctly that there would be a link to an opinion piece in the Guardian as I scrolled down through the text.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd love to see what the wagon who wrote this piece would say about Girls und Panzer
    or this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Wibbs wrote: »
    I do love the Japanese myself. Completely bonkers and nice people with it IME. Though I would have some agreement with AA Gill when he wrote; After 10 minutes in the land of the rising sun, you realise the Japs are off the map, out of the game, on another planet. It’s not that they’re aliens, but they are the people that aliens might be if they’d learnt Human by correspondence course and wanted to slip in unnoticed. Might be why I dig them and much of their culture though.

Honestly? The above is not at all how I'd describe Japanese people. They're normal, or at least as normal as anyone else. They are really, really far from the crazy, alien and unrelatable culture a lot of people think of. Western countries really have an overly exoticized view of Japan that just isn't the reality by a long shot.

I'd say the biggest culture shock you'd get if you landed in Japan, is the fact that public transport is awesome! :D
    Tony EH wrote: »
    That's the greatest thing I've seen all week.

Sometimes I just have to admire the sheer level of "not giving a fuck" that the Japanese have.

:pac:

It's not really a case of "not giving a ****" it's more like, because of the medium of animation, if you can imagine it; you can create it. Anime is cheaper to produce than live action, and in Japan there isn't the idea that animation = childrens TV or comedy shows. So you can sometimes have situations where they wouldn't have the budget to produce something in live action, so they'd turn around and just animate it instead. Perfect Blue and Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade being two examples of anime movies that were originally conceived as live-action.

It's also relatively cheaper to produce anime in Japan, than in America for example. I've read that a single episode of Futurama cost as much as the entire series of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and director Makoto Shinkai made the entire movie Voices of a Distant Star by himself! So because of that, it's easier to make shows for niche audiences. It's also easier to make shows that are completely out there and so you get absolute head****s like Evangelion and Paranoia Agent and the like...

So that brings you a show like Girls Und Panzer, where someone had the idea of a bunch of schoolgirls who compete with other schools in competition tank battles, and they didn't have to water that idea down or make it palatable to a wide audience in order for it to get made. The niche audience it was aimed at (domestically, and overseas) lapped it up. It's also astonishingly good, had great characters who actually had decent character arcs, and the battle scenes were downright amazing.

By comparison, regular Japanese TV is pretty damn boring, you have your usual soap operas and other boring fluff that the majority of people would watch. You wouldn't get that over here, because who's interested in the Japanese equivalent of Fair City? What travels most often is the niche stuff. So we get the awesome stuff, but not the dross.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Journalists are awfully sensitive little PC creatures, but not even the guardian is outdone by the PC brigade over on TheJournal.ie. They'd be looking for some affirmative action to promote gender balance within the locos, have a female fat controller and avoid any racism by having a 50/50 of steam to diesels!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Links234 wrote: »
    Honestly? The above is not at all how I'd describe Japanese people. They're normal, or at least as normal as anyone else. They are really, really far from the crazy, alien and unrelatable culture a lot of people think of. Western countries really have an overly exoticized view of Japan that just isn't the reality by a long shot.
    Oh sure their "craziness" is certainly exagerated in the western mind and media, but two mates of mine who lived there for extended periods of time(one still does) found it an odd culture. The initial WTF? was replaced by "ah sure no different really", but the longer they lived there the WTF? crept back in from a few different angles. Historically it has been a decidedly different culture, even in the region. Maybe because they're such a wide mixture of borrowed cultural stuff, isolated and bent into shape locally because of their island status? They were extreme cultural xenophobes for a very long time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,962 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That's largely my take on it as well.

The Japanese have a great way of taking recognisable items from other cultures and adding their own twist to it, whether by design or accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh sure their "craziness" is certainly exagerated in the western mind and media, but two mates of mine who lived there for extended periods of time(one still does) found it an odd culture. The initial WTF? was replaced by "ah sure no different really", but the longer they lived there the WTF? crept back in from a few different angles. Historically it has been a decidedly different culture, even in the region. Maybe because they're such a wide mixture of borrowed cultural stuff, isolated and bent into shape locally because of their island status? They were extreme cultural xenophobes for a very long time.

Yeah, it is a very unique place and the culture is different, no argument there, but there is this tendency to view Japan as this alien, other-worldly place where there are no taboos and that's just definitely not the case. The truth is, it's actually a pretty westernized country, more so than other asian countries. I think that instead of being such an extremely different culture, we actually find them relatable enough to consider them weird, if that makes sense? It's like green tea kit-kats for example, something that's in our comfort zones, but different enough to be considered exotic. Or like, we'd have no problem eating sushi, but a lot of people would probably dry-heave at the thought of eating balut.

Hey, I absolutely love the place, and there's nowhere like it. It's just not this completely alien culture some people think. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I think that blithering idiot of a woman needs to stop watching children's cartoons and start parenting. And less expecting the television to do it wouldn't go amiss either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Links234 wrote: »
    Oooh, really? What's the movie about? :D
    Saunders gets a rematch. With some new equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Advertisement