Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas The Tank Engine is 'classist, sexist and racist'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Jesus Christ is anything sacred

Clearly not if you're prepared to take our Lord's name in vane like that you oxy-moron you! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'd love to see what the wagon who wrote this piece would say about Girls und Panzer

Gotta love the Japanese haha

Yeah, but that's not something your average preschooler would be watching though ;)

Unless your an awesome parent :pac:

Seriously amazing show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Caliden wrote: »
    Another clickbait article.

If only newspapers could be fined for posting ****e

Well not falling for this crap would have some pretty obvious monetary implications for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

One of the blessings/curses of being a parent is that you have to watch kids tv with them.
    Thomas..is feckin' terrible..for those of you without kids the version thats on tv now has crap cgi , been Americanized and has an AWFUL theme song..at least the old series had Ringo Starr , and the quaint models.(still though its a f*cked up show ..one of the episodes had a train continuing to refuse to work ..so he was walled up inside a disused tunnel...and then the episode ends! ,they let him out in the next one ..but thats still f#cked up.)

At least Peppa Pig/Ben and Holly and the like have some subtle humour aimed at adults.

Also this was the ad they ran with last year:
    [

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    I won't watch the new aberration with my kids. They fcuked it up with that sht new title song and animation. Only 80s Ringo job in this gaff.

I just see some Guardian columns as necesassry revenue generating titbits put in for a certain near parodic segment of their 'Tristan and India' readership. Like the intellectual equivalent of a magazine running titty line ads to fund the rest of the articles
    I was giving out just yesterday that the new version has gone too PC - it has American and Japanese engines on the island for diversity.

Also this is a place: http://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/thomas-land.php

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'd love to see what the wagon who wrote this piece would say about Girls und Panzer

Awesome show. I'm helping the animators a bit with the movie due out early next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The ghost train episode was **** scary, wish I hadn't watched that when I was a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Awesome show. I'm helping the animators a bit with the movie due out early next year.
    Oooh, really? What's the movie about? :D

cloud493 wrote: »
    The ghost train episode was **** scary, wish I hadn't watched that when I was a child.

When poor James got buried alive (bricked up in the tunnel) by that out of control thug the fat controller because he didn't want his shiny red paint to get dirty was another harrowing episode to watch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

When poor James got buried alive (bricked up in the tunnel) by that out of control thug the fat controller because he didn't want his shiny red paint to get dirty was another harrowing episode to watch

That was henry it was green paint :pac: or blue. Henry is green, but I think his paint was blue at the point.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Actually, while the article is over the top, I've recently watched a couple of episodes of Thomas the Tank engine and she kind of has a point. Every single episode I saw has a really unsubtle theme of 'know your place' which is a pretty shít message to send to kids. And the theme tune is not the one we remember, it's now a painfully embarrassing rap. It's pretty awful.

"Thankfully" it's all about the Paw Patrol in this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

If the Guardian is to ape the Daily Mail in firing out cheap articles designed to attract clicks then they'll need to put more ads and referral links on their site. Hell, even the journal.ie does a better job. Papers like the Telegraph and Irish Times are dying because they still hold on to this old-fashioned concept of journalistic integrity.

They have their tourism articles, their online dating service and advertising still.

The bad guy is a "person of colour". Like bright red.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Great article. Really opened my eyes.

My cars exhaust fumes have been a bit dark recently and I thought it was burning a bit too much oil.

I was going to take it to a mechanic but what if it's just a racist?

Can a mechanic fix that?

Or am I the racist for wanting to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Ive just thrown all my sons thomas take n play, bed clothes, scooter, bike, books and train sets in the bin, just to be safe like

Ive just thrown all my sons thomas take n play, bed clothes, scooter, bike, books and train sets in the bin, just to be safe like

you did the right thing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well they'd be out of her targeting range as they're not white. They could do what they liked.

I do love the Japanese myself. Completely bonkers and nice people with it IME. Though I would have some agreement with AA Gill when he wrote; After 10 minutes in the land of the rising sun, you realise the Japs are off the map, out of the game, on another planet. It’s not that they’re aliens, but they are the people that aliens might be if they’d learnt Human by correspondence course and wanted to slip in unnoticed. Might be why I dig them and much of their culture though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

What is classist?

annascott wrote: »
    What is classist?

The fat controller and his shenanigans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

iguana wrote: »
    Actually, while the article is over the top, I've recently watched a couple of episodes of Thomas the Tank engine and she kind of has a point. Every single episode I saw has a really unsubtle theme of 'know your place' which is a pretty shít message to send to kids. And the theme tune is not the one we remember, it's now a painfully embarrassing rap. It's pretty awful.

"Thankfully" it's all about the Paw Patrol in this house.

It is their job though isn't it. You can hardly run a train system where everyone does what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

¡Hasta la Victoria Siempre Locomotiva!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Good choice, as your woman would think it's a kin to them bad guys from ww2 and your giving your kids there paraphernalia to raise them that way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That's the greatest thing I've seen all week.

Sometimes I just have to admire the sheer level of "not giving a fuck" that the Japanese have.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Good choice, as your woman would think it's a kin to them bad guys from ww2 and your giving your kids there paraphernalia to raise them that way :pac:

I grew up with nazi toys and it had no visible ill effects

Action Man was particularly good for third reich playthings. Panzer commander action man cut quite the figure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

As I was reading that i was assuming it was taken from some crazy leftist blog. It's a shame that such poorly written drivel passes as journalism in the 21st century, regardless of the subject matter, which of course is nonsense. I mean, this person actually believes that if the kids don't see people being bullied because they're different on a cartoon, then it won't happen in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Major SJW alert. At least the word "cis" didn't make an appearance, it could always have been worse :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Thomas..is feckin' terrible..for those of you without kids the version thats on tv now has crap cgi , been Americanized and has an AWFUL theme song..]

But, it used to be so brilliant. All of those lovely little models...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Bambi wrote: »
    I grew up with nazi toys and it had no visible ill effects

Action Man was particularly good for third reich playthings. Panzer commander action man cut quite the figure

We had the 3 nationalities of plastic soldiers. Gerries, Yanks and Tommies.

I have to say my German troops were much more successful than their real life counterparts.

• Advertisement

wally79 wrote: »
    We had the 3 nationalities of plastic soldiers. Gerries, Yanks and Tommies.

I have to say my German troops were much more successful than their real life counterparts.

That's a fair point, don't think I ever saw plastic Soviets.

Advertisement