Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

anncoates wrote: »
    The claims about value to the local economy are quite vague and by nature hard to substantiate.

For example, say I bought a ticket for garth brooks, I'd budget for the concert out of my monthly income like any other month. If I can't go I'd more than likely spend the money on something else. Even if I save it or pay off a bill, the money is not ceasing to exist.

Fair enough for international visitors but I'd doubt the majority of them are just coming for the gig rather making a trip out of it.

Then you have the large amount of GAA style concert goers ( of whom I know a few) who will drive up and go home and not spend much money.

The glib and fantastical figures being bandied around are hard to disprove or prove but basically have propaganda value.
    I think that it's more to do with money changing hands as a result of the concert, rather than "extra" money being spent. Some people borrowed (& will pay interest on) money to go and a lot of stuff was bought by traders,restaurants etc in anticipation of making a killing that week, they'll lose the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Hang on, can some one tell me WHO has made this decision of no concerts at all?My understanding was DCC licenced three gigs only.Garth gave his threat.Background moves were made.Now its announced there will be no gigs at all.WHO made this decision??

Presumably Gareth as he had painted himself into a corner and wasn't big enough to eat a bit of humble pie and play the 3 approved gigs for the fans he professed to care so much about.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Are all the gigs cancelled because Mr Brooks is refusing to play any?If so, why isnt it being reported that way now on the news??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

nm wrote: »
    Baffled by that post. What? :confused:

License applied for. License not in the terms of planning permission. License refused. Singer throws toys out of pram and cancels everything. Like I said: this probably would have happened even without any complaints from the residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Presumably Gareth as he had painted himself into a corner and wasn't big enough to eat a bit of humble pie and play the 3 approved gigs for the fans he professed to care so much about.

It's Garth :o but apart from that, you're probably right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

foggy_lad wrote: »
    What needs to happen now is a complete ban on the sale or pre-booking of tickets for concerts or events or festivals where full licenses and permissions required have not been granted.

But is this even possible?
    I mean to submit a plan, you probably need the specs from the artists regarding the show?

Maybe it would make more sense (if it is possible) to separate the licensing from the permission planning? Surely in this case, these 3 (or 4 or 5) would have been dealt before we reached this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

For sale:

Cowboy hats and america style gareth brooks t shirts

Best offer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

It's a bad day for all concerned and it highlights, yet again, the near pathological inability in this country to enact and stick to basic and clear regulations. We still it seems prefer to live in the land of 'nod and a wink regulation' that accepts shoddy standards as long as everybody's palm is crossed with silver.

The GAA should have told Aitkin that he should go and talk to the FAI at Landsdown Rd or perhaps consider a venue like Stradbally which would serve as a central location for converging fans and wasn't hosting any big events this year since Oxygen is defunct. They should have explained that they had already hosted three special events and it would infringe upon the already fraught relations with their neighbors if they broke the accepted agreements they had with them and hosted these gigs.
    Instead the GAA displayed an attitude that tippified the boom era greed that said 'to hang with the rules, respect or consequence's there's a few quid to be made lads!' and once again the soft regulation we practice around everything prompted the chancers from all walks of life to see how far they could push their luck in an enviornment of weak regulation. The answer was as usual 'too far' and at a high cost to many. We are still not immune to 'bubble mentality' it seems.

Aitkin typifies the attitude of the greedy elites of this country that imagine planning and guidelines don't apply to them, only to the little people. It seems to have come as a genuine shock to the man that an automatic exemption (in spite of what he should have known about prior agreements with residents of the area) would not be rubber stamped.

Dublin CoCo of course typifies our regulators, inept, incapable of joined up thinking (is there a coherent city plan for major events staging?) and capable only of acting in hindsight and after a crisis, even when it was obvious that regulation in a particular sector was badly needed (how many years have Croke Park residents been in conflict with the GAA?).
    As usual they're too busy erecting special traffic lights for cyclists to notice that their economy is about to take a 50 million euro blow due to poor planning and regulation.

And it should be a salutary lesson to the fawning fans that Brooks doesn't 'love Ireland', he loves a bit of cash and any embarrasment for this debacle is on his shoulders, for acting like a petulant prima-donna, and not ours for letting down 'Ireland's biggest fan'.
    The grotesque hyperbole from the handwringers about our 'international reputation' is laughable, if we garner a reputation as a country that doesn't bend over backwards to allow foreign firms or artists to drive a coach and four through peoples rights if they wave a buck under our noses, and instead garner a reputation for a well regulated city in which business know where the stand that is no bad thing. In fact it's a sign of maturity. Hopefully it means we attract fewer 'cowboys', shady operators and fly by night fast buck merchants and more considered business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The small minority of the hardcore residents in that area that Mulvey speaks of, have always attempted to milk far and above what was fair and in doing so, given the decent residents down there a bad name by association. It has worked for them many many times. You couldn't please Eamon O'Brien of the streets committee if you tried. Here is just one example of how they push their luck far and above what anybody could reasonable believe are fair requests for residents.

Over a million euro worth of tickets they wanted for a bit of traffic... unreal.
    They need that power taken off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Anyone else been reading about the Garda investigation into the possible forging of complaints from croke park residents who never sent complaints about the gigs to the DCC at all?

Really wouldn't surprise me at all with some of the s**#e that goes in this country.

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »
    License applied for. License not in the terms of planning permission. License refused. Singer throws toys out of pram and cancels everything. Like I said: this probably would have happened even without any complaints from the residents.

You need your head examined if you believe yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

Enda Kenny said

“This has an implication of a quarter of a billion for this city in terms of the economy, the excitement and all of that.”

Having a financially illiterate Taoiseach is an embarrassment not that some concerts got cancelled.

anncoates wrote: »
    The claims about value to the local economy are quite vague and by nature hard to substantiate.

For example, say I bought a ticket for garth brooks, I'd budget for the concert out of my monthly income like any other month. If I can't go I'd more than likely spend the money on something else. Even if I save it or pay off a bill, the money is not ceasing to exist.

Fair enough for international visitors but I'd doubt the majority of them are just coming for the gig rather making a trip out of it.

Then you have the large amount of GAA style concert goers ( of whom I know a few) who will drive up and go home and not spend much money.

The glib and fantastical figures being bandied around are hard to disprove or prove but basically have propaganda value.

Even if we were to completely lowball the average spend of a concert goer to €50 euro each (I'd say it's closer to €150), that'd be 20 million spent that would otherwise remain unspent.

How is the figure so hard to believe for you, besides that you know a few people who travel cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Hang on, can some one tell me WHO has made this decision of no concerts at all?My understanding was DCC licenced three gigs only.Garth gave his threat.Background moves were made.Now its announced there will be no gigs at all.WHO made this decision??

We understand it was Garth himself. Garth was very keen and took a personal interest and wanted to do a special show, he felt he could do it ~ now artists are like this.

All creative people can be quite eccentric and seemingly 'cut off their nose to spite their face' and squander millions or tear up millions worth and move on.

Garth takes it very personally, very emotionally.

I like what he did. WE had an opportunity to make a little Irish Magic and we blew it.

But ultimately it was Garth's decision. Hopefully in time the wounds will heal.

Are all the gigs cancelled because Mr Brooks is refusing to play any?If so, why isnt it being reported that way now on the news??

It's not really clear at this point. There was another injunction on the way from one resident to stop the other 240,000 people going to the 3 concerts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

70k overseas.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Sing with me now…

I have friends in low places, where the concerts play for five nights

Or not at aaaal… low places, yeah ye, low places

I have friends but Ireland's not one of them, you wanna see me play

It's five or nothin'… yeah ye, the middle finger oh yeah ye

I want ya'll to see my concerts but it's five or nothin' so I'm off

To Vegas… yeah ye I'm off to Vegas *whispers* b*tches yeah ye…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The only group I blame is Croke Park. They new about the agreement when they rented out the stadium. I hope aiken take them to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭pavb2

Over a million euro worth of tickets they wanted for a bit of traffic... unreal.
    They need that power taken off them.
    How much does goes Garth or the promoters or whoever stand to lose if it doesn't go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Iv heard one person describe today's decision as our 9/11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

major bill wrote: »
    Could have done with some friends in high places

Unfortunately he has friends in no places...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Mahou wrote: »
    Enda Kenny said

“This has an implication of a quarter of a billion for this city in terms of the economy, the excitement and all of that.”

Having a financially illiterate Taoiseach is an embarrassment not that some concerts got cancelled.

I wouldn't say that, some of us see much bigger pictures and spin offs, my own back of the hand says it's worth a loss of €25Bn in three years.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Even if we were to completely lowball the average spend of a concert goer to €50 euro each (I'd say it's closer to €150), that'd be 20 million spent that would otherwise remain unspent.

How is the figure so hard to believe for you, besides that you know a few people who travel cheap?

Because it's not convenient, it's easier to label it 'propaganda' in some crusade to justify how 350 residents (assuming no forgeries of course) were somehow able to cost the country that much in instigating the cancellation of 400,000+ plus peoples spending plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Jesus Christ this is so blown out of proportion. There are people, saying that this has made them "ashamed to be Irish". For fuc[/]k sake if a country music star not being allowed play five nights in our largest stadium, with good reason, makes you ashamed to be Irish then you must be living a seriously sheltered existence.

I notice how almost every single person saying this is being blown out of proportion and that are mocking the people who are upset about this, for whatever reason, always seem to make a point of pointing out how garth Brooks is a just country and music singer, but how is that relevant exactly?

This is about Dublin City Council refusing to licence two concerts in Ireland's most famous stadium, just mere weeks before the concerts are due to take place. Concerts which 160,000 people have purchased tickets for, and thousands of which have bought flights, booked hotels for etc etc.

If you're argument to dampen the uproar relies on you mentioning the fact this just concerns an overweight country singer, over and over, and so who really cares.. well then your argument really isn't an argument at all. Well, not one of note anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

My next door neighbours seemed to have turned into 14 year olds again and have been blasting "Friends in Low Places" for the past 30 minutes :(:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Source?

it was 70k sales outside of Ireland, not overseas.
    This includes UK and NI.
    I would like to know how many of the 70k were sold in Belfast. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

When it comes to musical taste, people really are just sheep following numpties. Something like 400 Thousand people to see that average at best country singer? all the sheep and all the hype deserve the cliff these concerts have falling off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

I notice how every single person saying this is being blown out of proportion and mock the people who are complaining, always make a point of of how Brooks is a country and music singer. How is that relevant exactly?

This is about Dublin City Council refusing to licence two concerts in Ireland's most famous stadium, three weeks before the concerts are due to take place. Concerts which 160,000 people have purchased tickets for, thousands of whom had bought flights, booked hotels etc etc.

If you're argument to dampen the uproar relies on you mentioning the fact this just concerns an overweight country singer, over and over, and so who cares, well then your argument really isn't an argument at all. Well, not one of note anyway.

I mentioned country music star. I didn't say "shít country music star" or "talentless country music star" or anything like that to be honest I've only head one song of his.

Who said anything about overweight? :pac:
    nocoverart wrote: »
    When it comes to musical taste, people really are just sheep following numpties. Something like 400 Thousand people to see that average at best country singer? all the sheep and all the hype deserve the cliff these concerts have falling off.

I imagine the quote above is what you're talking about Wishiwasa Littlebittaller and I agree with you that that's a ridiculous argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone else been reading about the Garda investigation into the possible forging of complaints from croke park residents who never sent complaints about the gigs to the DCC at all?

Really wouldn't surprise me at all with some of the s**#e that goes in this country.

A few of the residents are utterly hateful of the GAA and anything it's associated with. Their objections have very little to do with the disruption that would be caused, but that's the guise they use to drum up support and use for PR.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if some of them would resort to forging their neighbors signatures to help the 'cause'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭secman

The really sad bit for me is the amount of air time Christy Burke is getting, cringe every time I hear him, he's an absolute powerless Lord Mayor, a mere token junkett that is shared around by politicians , nothing to do with merit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement