Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options
  • 08-07-2014 6:11pm

The biggest news of the day is that all five Garth Brooks concerts have been cancelled.

The original thread is nothing short of a joke right now, so let's start afresh.
    • Have your say about all those involved in the event without resorting to vicious or bilious comments.
    • Do not discuss banned posters or get personal with others on the thread.
    • Keep the abuse, trolling, baiting, and sniping out of it.
    • Keep it civil.

TL;DR - don't be a dick

We'll update the OP with info about ticket refunds etc as it becomes available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

From an economic point, it's a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Glad to see this still dominates the news. Looking forward to another week of watching that Croke Park gig footage over and over again on News Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

This is the most stupid large news story I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Nobody is dead. This too will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

What's more embarrassing for 'Brand Ireland™' - the concerts being cancelled or the fact that 400,000 Irish people bought tickets to see Garth Brooks in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Have to say I'm glad to see someone in this country sticking to their guns, and procedure. Fair play to Dublin City council. We need more people with a back bone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There really are more important things going on than a few cancelled gigs at Croke Park.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I hope we get an 'I, Keano' style re-enactment of the whole journey, so I can re-live this rollercoaster of emotion again.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Feel sorry for all the people who were looking forward to this tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Financial impact is huge on hoteliers and such I can imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What'll they do with all those concert shirts in Dunnes Stores now....?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cnoc

The GAA (Croke Park) got greedy, hence the reason for the final outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

RTE reporting that DCC were willing to allow 4 concerts in discussions with Aiken before licence decision was announced but Brooks wouldn't budge, told DCC 5 or nothing, so they stuck with 3.
    Gives the lie to Mulvey's claim that Brooks was only speaking in the heat of the moment when he made his public 5 or nothing ultimatum on Thursday.
    Brooks looking more and more like a greedy bully and Mulvey like an Aiken/GAA puppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

From an economic point, it's a disaster.
    Ah, have to love a bit of hyperbole. Most of the attendees would have been from Ireland and the money they would have spent on hotels and booze will now be spent... well, probably hotels and booze, albeit in a less consolidated manner. The small percentage of visitors who were coming from abroad specifically for this are few when taken as a proportion of total tourist numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Now which will be the first Dublin pub/venue to stick on a Garth Brooks Tribute act for 5 nights - they'll clèan up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Bad because of money reasons but other than that it's a minor bump. It's a man standing on a stage singing. People will get over it. I'd say most of the Croke Park residents had tickets themselves.

Also, at the end of the day there was a rule initially broken to allow the 5 concerts so it's a bit of justice and an up yours.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There really are more important things going on than a few cancelled gigs at Croke Park.

Yeah, and people with the weight of the world on their shoulders might be able to escape their personal tragedies by going on a special night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Yup, they jacked up their prices by up to 500% , now they will have to settle for normal rates, my heart bleeds for them.
    Same with the publicans and restaurants who were set to profiteer with rip off price increases.

Brooks looking more and more like a greedy bully and Mulvey like an Aiken/GAA puppet.

Mod

Your post was one of the ones which drew attention to the other thread and ultimately caused it to be closed. You have immediately ignored the mod warnings in the opening post so you are no longer welcome to post here again.

• Advertisement

Ah, have to love a bit of hyperbole. Most of the attendees would have been from Ireland and the money they would have spent on hotels and booze will now be spent... well, probably hotels and booze, albeit in a less consolidated manner. The small percentage of visitors who were coming from abroad specifically for this are few when taken as a proportion of total tourist numbers.

No, it will stay in their bank accounts and not pay wages, get taxed, keep the wheels moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

cnoc wrote: »
    The GAA (Croke Park) Aiken got greedy, hence the reason for the final outcome.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not even just that. How many tickets were sold to people outside of Ireland? 10% probably isn't a wild estimate.

That's 40,000 people who would have spent a few days here before/after the concert, and who will likely be put off from travelling to Ireland in future as a result of it all. The long term effect of this is just as bad as any short term effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It provides plenty of fodder for smug Facebook posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

No, it will stay in their bank accounts and not pay wages, get taxed, keep the wheels moving.
    No, it'll get spent on other things. That's what happens with discretionary earnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sorry for the people that will miss the concert but the GAA and promoters broke their agreement, allowed the relationship with residents to become poisonous and tried to railroad the DCC into sanctioning 5 concerts over the agreed number for the year. They were lucky to get 3 extra nights licensed and GB should have went with that.

Plus the widespread pressure - tantamount to bullying - of a local authority by the media, business interests and entertainment figures has been quite shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Did anyone think it bad that RTE named the resident that filed the court injunction?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cnoc

:D:D
    fullstop wrote: »
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Fair to say it's a fairly bad day in terms of what it would have done for the country in terms of economy, tourism and the general prestige and size of the event.

Honestly don't understand people trying to say that Brooks is greedy etc. He's doing no gigs, therefore he's not making a cent and most likely losing millions given the stage setup already paid for and shipped, lighting and sound staff employed and who knows what else.

Bad decision on behalf of the council as I highly doubt they wanted all the gigs to be cancelled, but should have realised that was a possibility if they refused planning for the 2.

Without disrespecting the rights of the residents, I think the best outcome on this would have been to let these gigs go ahead and then implement a stricter planning regime for future gigs at Croker, with all involved well aware of the limitations in place, as they clearly weren't this time around.

Why were the DCC at one point willing to allow 4 gigs but not 5? Would one night less make much of a difference to the residents? Sillyness.

Huge loss for the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Did anyone think it bad that RTE named the resident that filed the court injunction?

Would this not be public anyway?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement