Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Project 2014 - Do NOT post images of exam material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 uniqueone

any ideas for the automatic door? or any weblinks for an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cossi

what types of switches and motors do ye plan on using and what sort of a steering mechanism would be suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 viperockz

what's the update guys

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

I don't know but is the use of ardrino brining in use of brought in electronic solutions. What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MrZombieApples

Yeah using ardruino is definitely against the brief rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

Yeah using ardruino is definitely against the brief rules.

Would you be able to expand on that as to why? I think that its an interesting one for discussion. One way of looking at it is, if the research went into how they work and how to programme them, then use them in the project. Its not like they come all ready programmed ready to insert. The mechanism still has to be designed to produce the movement from the motor.!!

how far is everyone on with their projects?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Michael56

Would using servo motors for steering count as "brought in electronic solutions?"
    And if not where can i get a crash course in them online as to how they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wallywee

I think I'll use arduino for technology if I can get the hang of it (Doing that subject by myself) but it seems like over kill for engineering. Much easier to keep it relatively simple, some people won't even do powered steering. Any idea about using servos for steering ect in terms of being in line with brief or whatever?
    Ps I've several controllers from planes and cars anyway, maybe make it fpv ;)

it's not necessary to have powered steering all it says is to have a steering mechanism - keeping it simple instead of putting pressure on yourself.

I myself will have tracks on each side and to turn i'd put the motors on, on one side and off on the other and it will have the piece move, easy steering mechanism done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FredaB

Came across this site Looks cool. Hope it will be of some use to you
    http://ettacork.wordpress.com/tag/batman-tumbler/

and

http://ettacork.wordpress.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 BrianoBrains

Hey lads, does anybody know where I can buy tires, motors, LEDs etc online?

lads, are any of ye doing suspension?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Hey lads, does anybody know where I can buy tires, motors, LEDs etc online?

Have you looked into Maplin? They're good enough price-wise and they also have a few stores here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ire675

nope too complicated id say .. many started ?

we started ours straight away so have a good bit done now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ire675

when they say no measurment may exceed 300mm do they mean diagonally ?

I think both length and width

Anybody with any good doable ideas on the automatic door? I'm struggling with that aspect of the project

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

ire675 wrote: »
    when they say no measurment may exceed 300mm do they mean diagonally ?

Generally not. In engineering terms a dimension generally refers to a length, width, height etc... rather than a maximum distance across something. As general rule is it fits square in a 300 by 300 box its ok. Lots of candidates ignored this last year with the height of the HL project.

Some people see it as a restriction on their design and ignore it, then again stay inside the limits and its an easy 10 marks (or is it 15, cant remember!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bdrury_96

need to start typing up the folder for the ol project, anyone got pointers like how many pages needed?

• Advertisement

I would say, try and borrow a portfolio some1 in your school who did well last year, and just copy their layout and try and get close enough page length

• Registered Users Posts: 28 voodosheeb

anyone know if using a brushless motor and ESC, along with a reviver for radio control , if this would go against the brief and result in my project not getting full marks?

"The use of modified toys or model kits is not acceptable" I'm not sure whether you'll be docked a lot though.. Did you ask your teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 voodosheeb

yeah, not to sure tho , said it might help to show how could incorporate it into the design. either way when i get it back to keep it im putting rc in it, but the motors in the engineering room are **** on 9 voltz and thats one of the main reasons i wanted rc

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭christy11

can anyone who did the project last year upload their brief on this or even send it to me as i would like to look at a few breifs to get an ideo on what to do about it? thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Can anyone post a portfolio he/she had done from the past years? Thanks :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They won't be posting exam work. Doesn't your teacher have some old projects?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

spurious wrote: »
    They won't be posting exam work. Doesn't your teacher have some old projects?
    Why wouldn't they? I will post mine next year, cause it can only help others and it doesn't makes me "competition". I'll ask him tomorrow, he probably does...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You won't post yours, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 rebels_cork

how can i watch the video?

Advertisement