Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Project 2014 - Do NOT post images of exam material

Options
  • 14-10-2013 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Just got the brief today and wondering if anyone has any ideas

Brief

The technology of computer generated images has influenced film makers and cinematography and dominated the production of action films for many years.

However, the latest films involving high-performance vehicles, have extended the possibilities within the design envelope and created full scale working models for action scenes. Central to the production of the recent films of the Batman Trilogy was the creation of a new concept of vehicle using evolving car technologies and many creative design features derived from the former Batmobile vehicles. The unprecedented design challenges resulted in what is now an iconic creation, of ground breaking mechatronics engineering, called the Tumbler.

Design a model Tumbler to the general specifications outlined below. The Tumbler should be your own unique design and should:

(a) Have a rear wheel propulsion unit;

(b) Incorporate an automated door for easy access;

(c) Include a steering mechanism.

Presentation of the completed model should ensure that:

(a) All main operating features are clearly visible without dismantling
    (b) The longest dimension of the model does not exceed 300 mm
    (c) Electric power does not exceed 9 volts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

A bat-mobile! BEST - PROJECT -EVER!

Can't wait to get started on this! No clue how I'm going to go about it though, I'm thinking of using springs to open the doors. Or maybe something like those yokes you find on kitchen presses to stop them slamming?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TheAdammaka

So here we go again (or at least I do, repeating) I've just looked at the brief on examinations.ie, it's the batmobile which could be tricky enough. Got an A2 higher last year and really enjoyed the practical. So what are peoples thoughts?
    Here is my project:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

So here we go again (or at least I do, repeating) I've just looked at the brief on examinations.ie, it's the batmobile which could be tricky enough. Got an A2 higher last year and really enjoyed the practical. So what are peoples thoughts?
    Here is my project:

Wow! That's a great machine! Better than any of the ones I saw from my school last year! Fair play, looks like you're sorted for this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

The response is positive so far from my students, far better than last years project I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Michael56

I almost died when i found out from my teacher today :D
    I was only thinking last week about watching the trilogy again and I'm pretty sure I'll have watched the movies at least 50 times by the deadline now!

@TheAdammaka : Surprised you didn't get an A1 for that? I thought the ones from my school last year were really decent but yours looks flawless.

Actually can't wait to get working on the design for this. We've been told to sort out the steering and wheel mechanisms first and then take it from there. Hundreds of ideas are springing to mind for the detail that could be added, just a pity knowing I won't be able to use them all haha.

Oh and does anyone have any info on the electronic components rule? My teacher said we can't harvest a circuit from an RC car obviously but is there limits to what you can add? LDR's, number of LEDs, sound buzzers etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Michael56 wrote: »
    I almost died when i found out from my teacher today :D
    I was only thinking last week about watching the trilogy again and I'm pretty sure I'll have watched the movies at least 50 times by the deadline now!

@TheAdammaka : Surprised you didn't get an A1 for that? I thought the ones from my school last year were really decent but yours looks flawless.

Actually can't wait to get working on the design for this. We've been told to sort out the steering and wheel mechanisms first and then take it from there. Hundreds of ideas are springing to mind for the detail that could be added, just a pity knowing I won't be able to use them all haha.

Oh and does anyone have any info on the electronic components rule? My teacher said we can't harvest a circuit from an RC car obviously but is there limits to what you can add? LDR's, number of LEDs, sound buzzers etc

No limit no, power cannot exceed 9v that's all!

CWF wrote: »
    No limit no, power cannot exceed 9v that's all!
    Deadly :)

As regards Voltage, we covered series and parallel a while back in physics. Am I right in saying that wiring in parallel will prevent losses of power or is it series? Basically hat I'm asking is, if there is a LOT of electriconics in your circuit how can i maximize performance (i.e speed/power) without obviously exceeding the 9V rule. Any advice is appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3 techyd

Deadly :)

As regards Voltage, we covered series and parallel a while back in physics. Am I right in saying that wiring in parallel will prevent losses of power or is it series? Basically hat I'm asking is, if there is a LOT of electriconics in your circuit how can i maximize performance (i.e speed/power) without obviously exceeding the 9V rule. Any advice is appreciated

Dont wire your batteries in series as this will just increase your voltage. For example if you wire two 9V batteries in series you will increase it to 18V. If you wire them in parallel you will increase your battery capacity still keeping it at 9V. So thats the one your looking for.

techyd wrote: »
    Dont wire your batteries in series as this will just increase your voltage. For example if you wire two 9V batteries in series you will increase it to 18V. If you wire them in parallel you will increase your battery capacity still keeping it at 9V. So thats the one your looking for.

Ah i getcha thanks a mil man :) Does this in theory mean you could have 5 or more batteries, if storage wasnt an issue haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah here the bat mobile I had to make a bloody carousel although that was 20 years ago,enjoy thats a cracking project

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Ah here the bat mobile I had to make a bloody carousel although that was 20 years ago,enjoy thats a cracking project
    I'm pretty sure there was a caroussel only 2 or 3 years ago aswell, shows the effort the SEC put into innovation.... but I want to shake hands with the new guy who picked this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I'm pretty sure there was a caroussel only 2 or 3 years ago aswell, shows the effort the SEC put into innovation.... but I want to shake hands with the new guy who picked this one!

yeah well played who ever picked that

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vinny2210

here lads how are yee going to automate your door? i was thinking piston to push it up!

Vinny2210 wrote: »
    here lads how are yee going to automate your door? i was thinking piston to push it up!

Sounds good, would be exacctly like the real one then. I was thinking of electro magnets if possible but then again the doors coming up slow would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vinny2210

the thing is were could i get a piston small enough to fit in my model?

Using a servo motor controlled by an IR sensor or even an Light dependent resistor would work great for the doors as this would be fully automated (no human reaction required to operate).

Ah i getcha thanks a mil man :) Does this in theory mean you could have 5 or more batteries, if storage wasnt an issue haha.

You could but I cant see you needing such capacity for this project. The dimensions are only 300mm max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

techyd wrote: »
    You could but I cant see you needing such capacity for this project. The dimensions are only 300mm max

4 AA batteries should do the job.

A single servo to control the doors opening, maybe with a push button on top, and a servo to control the steering. Do you need to do the split front axles like the real tumbler?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kodyz250

The brief tells us it wants a tumbler model and in the next paragraph asks for your own unique design, which is it?

The detail about the batman vehicle and movies is meant to simulate the imagination in my opinion. The design, once it satisfies the design criteria can be anything the designer wants.

Nice brief with straightforward requirments should throw up some excellent solutions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It might be an idea, while discussing general ideas about the project, not to give specific details on a public forum of what you will be doing in yours.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    It might be an idea, while discussing general ideas about the project, not to give specific details on a public forum of what you will be doing in yours.
    Yeah thought of that at the start, I have a fair few ideas with the electronics that I definitely wont be posting here. Need this A1 haha

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cossi

what type of materials do you guys plan on using in the production of the model tumbler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

So it's true..it's the bat mobile this year?! I thought the lads were just taking the píss when I asked them what it was :p

Does anyone know if there is any reason that the project can't be made remote control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ire675

idno about a remot control . is anyone planning on making a manuel stearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Arduino with bluetooth to control the doors, steering and motors?

Control it with your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 viperockz

jizzed in my pants after i heard about this project

working on portfolio... need guide for it anyone!

Arduino with bluetooth to control the doors, steering and motors?

Control it with your phone?

I think I'll use arduino for technology if I can get the hang of it (Doing that subject by myself) but it seems like over kill for engineering. Much easier to keep it relatively simple, some people won't even do powered steering. Any idea about using servos for steering ect in terms of being in line with brief or whatever?
    Ps I've several controllers from planes and cars anyway, maybe make it fpv ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ire675

anyone out there have a sample folder which i could tke a look at . itd be greatly appriciated

• Advertisement

https://sites.google.com/site/gobanengineeringnotes/home/exam-brief-guidelines
    ire675 wrote: »
    anyone out there have a sample folder which i could tke a look at . itd be greatly appriciated

Advertisement