Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thomas The Tank Engine is 'classist, sexist and racist'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I won't watch the new aberration with my kids. They fcuked it up with that sht new title song and animation. Only 80s Ringo job in this gaff.

I just see some Guardian columns as necesassry revenue generating titbits put in for a certain near parodic segment of their 'Tristan and India' readership. Like the intellectual equivalent of a magazine running titty line ads to fund the rest of the articles

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Strange auld world were has been class which had once been linked with the finer and more elegant attributes in life has been turned into a term of abuse. I'd say even the vast majority of those left of centre would regard this Guardian article with embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Magaggie wrote: »
    Apparently Peppa is deemed a bit too bossy and cheeky to her parents.

The dad is supposedly an unfair parody of men because he's a pompous music bore, overweight and keeps fcking up basic DIY tasks despite pretending to be good at them in front of other men.

Don't see the problem, myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The railway of Sodor should be shut down. The amount of accidents there is unreal. Was watching one today, crazy behaviour from Thomas. He was racing Bertie the Bus and kept going off the main line down service lines looking for a shortcut. One line was a disused line, and Thomas was going so fast he went through a buffer blocking the end of the line and off the end and almost out on a road.
    All this and he had Annie and Clarabel full of passengers, it's amazing no one was badly injured :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

@OP I'll bet you are a Fat Controller

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Isn't The Fat Controller able to change schedules and order trains about on a whim because, well, he's the controller?

I have two jobs. One has an extremely rigid hierarchy with numerous levels, in which if you don't do what the guy above tells you to do, you can go to jail. The other job has a very flat and open structure, in which if you don't do what the guy above tells you to do, you can get fired. (The first is the Army, the second is in a computer game company).

I'm not entirely sure what the bad lesson is here when a child is instructed that such hierarchies exist, the boss -has- the authority to order people about, need not explain himself to you, need not make sense to you, and they'd better get used to the concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Jesus Christ is anything sacred

No, Bugs Bunny is gay.

The cigarette holder, the smoking jacket, dressing up as a Southern Belle at the drop of a hat, always kissing Elmer Fudd on the lips.

http://www.citizenofthemonth.com/2007/10/27/fans-shocked-at-bugs-bunny-gay-revelation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I'd love to see what the wagon who wrote this piece would say about Girls und Panzer

Gotta love the Japanese haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Don't think I'd be that keen taking a train on sodor, come to think of it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Train wreck of an article

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

Jesus Christ is anything sacred

Clearly not if you're prepared to take our Lord's name in vane like that you oxy-moron you! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'd love to see what the wagon who wrote this piece would say about Girls und Panzer

Yeah, but that's not something your average preschooler would be watching though ;)

Unless your an awesome parent :pac:

Seriously amazing show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Caliden wrote: »
    Another clickbait article.

If only newspapers could be fined for posting ****e

Well not falling for this crap would have some pretty obvious monetary implications for them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

One of the blessings/curses of being a parent is that you have to watch kids tv with them.
    Thomas..is feckin' terrible..for those of you without kids the version thats on tv now has crap cgi , been Americanized and has an AWFUL theme song..at least the old series had Ringo Starr , and the quaint models.(still though its a f*cked up show ..one of the episodes had a train continuing to refuse to work ..so he was walled up inside a disused tunnel...and then the episode ends! ,they let him out in the next one ..but thats still f#cked up.)

At least Peppa Pig/Ben and Holly and the like have some subtle humour aimed at adults.

Also this was the ad they ran with last year:
    [

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    I won't watch the new aberration with my kids. They fcuked it up with that sht new title song and animation. Only 80s Ringo job in this gaff.

I just see some Guardian columns as necesassry revenue generating titbits put in for a certain near parodic segment of their 'Tristan and India' readership. Like the intellectual equivalent of a magazine running titty line ads to fund the rest of the articles
    I was giving out just yesterday that the new version has gone too PC - it has American and Japanese engines on the island for diversity.

Also this is a place: http://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/thomas-land.php

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Awesome show. I'm helping the animators a bit with the movie due out early next year.

The ghost train episode was **** scary, wish I hadn't watched that when I was a child.

Awesome show. I'm helping the animators a bit with the movie due out early next year.
    Oooh, really? What's the movie about? :D

cloud493 wrote: »
    The ghost train episode was **** scary, wish I hadn't watched that when I was a child.

When poor James got buried alive (bricked up in the tunnel) by that out of control thug the fat controller because he didn't want his shiny red paint to get dirty was another harrowing episode to watch

• Advertisement

When poor James got buried alive (bricked up in the tunnel) by that out of control thug the fat controller because he didn't want his shiny red paint to get dirty was another harrowing episode to watch

That was henry it was green paint :pac: or blue. Henry is green, but I think his paint was blue at the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Actually, while the article is over the top, I've recently watched a couple of episodes of Thomas the Tank engine and she kind of has a point. Every single episode I saw has a really unsubtle theme of 'know your place' which is a pretty shít message to send to kids. And the theme tune is not the one we remember, it's now a painfully embarrassing rap. It's pretty awful.

"Thankfully" it's all about the Paw Patrol in this house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

If the Guardian is to ape the Daily Mail in firing out cheap articles designed to attract clicks then they'll need to put more ads and referral links on their site. Hell, even the journal.ie does a better job. Papers like the Telegraph and Irish Times are dying because they still hold on to this old-fashioned concept of journalistic integrity.

They have their tourism articles, their online dating service and advertising still.

The bad guy is a "person of colour". Like bright red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭wally79

Great article. Really opened my eyes.

My cars exhaust fumes have been a bit dark recently and I thought it was burning a bit too much oil.

I was going to take it to a mechanic but what if it's just a racist?

Can a mechanic fix that?

Or am I the racist for wanting to fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Ive just thrown all my sons thomas take n play, bed clothes, scooter, bike, books and train sets in the bin, just to be safe like

Ive just thrown all my sons thomas take n play, bed clothes, scooter, bike, books and train sets in the bin, just to be safe like

you did the right thing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well they'd be out of her targeting range as they're not white. They could do what they liked.

I do love the Japanese myself. Completely bonkers and nice people with it IME. Though I would have some agreement with AA Gill when he wrote; After 10 minutes in the land of the rising sun, you realise the Japs are off the map, out of the game, on another planet. It’s not that they’re aliens, but they are the people that aliens might be if they’d learnt Human by correspondence course and wanted to slip in unnoticed. Might be why I dig them and much of their culture though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

What is classist?

annascott wrote: »
    What is classist?

The fat controller and his shenanigans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

iguana wrote: »
    Actually, while the article is over the top, I've recently watched a couple of episodes of Thomas the Tank engine and she kind of has a point. Every single episode I saw has a really unsubtle theme of 'know your place' which is a pretty shít message to send to kids. And the theme tune is not the one we remember, it's now a painfully embarrassing rap. It's pretty awful.

"Thankfully" it's all about the Paw Patrol in this house.

It is their job though isn't it. You can hardly run a train system where everyone does what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

¡Hasta la Victoria Siempre Locomotiva!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Good choice, as your woman would think it's a kin to them bad guys from ww2 and your giving your kids there paraphernalia to raise them that way :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,551 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That's the greatest thing I've seen all week.

Sometimes I just have to admire the sheer level of "not giving a fuck" that the Japanese have.

:pac:

Good choice, as your woman would think it's a kin to them bad guys from ww2 and your giving your kids there paraphernalia to raise them that way :pac:

I grew up with nazi toys and it had no visible ill effects

Action Man was particularly good for third reich playthings. Panzer commander action man cut quite the figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

As I was reading that i was assuming it was taken from some crazy leftist blog. It's a shame that such poorly written drivel passes as journalism in the 21st century, regardless of the subject matter, which of course is nonsense. I mean, this person actually believes that if the kids don't see people being bullied because they're different on a cartoon, then it won't happen in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Major SJW alert. At least the word "cis" didn't make an appearance, it could always have been worse :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,551 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Thomas..is feckin' terrible..for those of you without kids the version thats on tv now has crap cgi , been Americanized and has an AWFUL theme song..]

But, it used to be so brilliant. All of those lovely little models...

Bambi wrote: »
    I grew up with nazi toys and it had no visible ill effects

Action Man was particularly good for third reich playthings. Panzer commander action man cut quite the figure

We had the 3 nationalities of plastic soldiers. Gerries, Yanks and Tommies.

I have to say my German troops were much more successful than their real life counterparts.

• Advertisement

wally79 wrote: »
    We had the 3 nationalities of plastic soldiers. Gerries, Yanks and Tommies.

I have to say my German troops were much more successful than their real life counterparts.

That's a fair point, don't think I ever saw plastic Soviets.

That's a fair point, don't think I ever saw plastic Soviets.

they were available, although many of them looked suspiciously like Americans except done in clay red plastic instead of green.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tony EH wrote: »

Sometimes I just have to admire the sheer level of "not giving a fuck" that the Japanese have.

TBH I'm not sure that Japanese culture is quite aware of where the "fcuk" is in the first place. Not when it comes to their take on western culture anyway. It can get very odd indeed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Good old Island of Sodor. A place about the size of the Phoenix Park, with a population of about 47 people, and a railway network that blows the New York City Subway system out of the water. Some farmer has flooding on his farm? Send up two steam engines with five flatbed carriages to move seven sheep a few hundred feet up the hill. Now have them rush off to the other side of the island to pick up the balloons for some kid's birthday party.

Nobody ever questioned why the transportation budget must have been about 60,000% of the tax revenue the island was capable of generating. They must have been been digging up wads of thousand-pound notes in the mines they occasionally mentioned.

Gandhi wrote: »
    Good old Island of Sodor. A place about the size of the Phoenix Park, with a population of about 47 people, and a railway network that blows the New York City Subway system out of the water. Some farmer has flooding on his farm? Send up two steam engines with five flatbed carriages to move seven sheep a few hundred feet up the hill. Now have them rush off to the other side of the island to pick up the balloons for some kid's birthday party.

Nobody ever questioned why the transportation budget must have been about 60,000% of the tax revenue the island was capable of generating. They must have been been digging up wads of thousand-pound notes in the mines they occasionally mentioned.

From the tone of the original article I'm guessing that the 47 we see are the elite overlords while the rest of the islands population (the indigenous population I'm going to assume) are deep in the aforementioned mines funding the dictatorial Fat Controller and his many vanity projects such as the railway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

The other thing was that the thin controller would get around on his bicycle all the time. Showing kids the benefits of cardio. I can't remember how the fat controller got around. Probably an SUV, or just made the trains take him. The original article also seemed to confuse Sir Topham Hat and the fat controller. Two different fat dudes. Do all fat guys look the same to her??? Fattist!!!!

Edit: Just found out that the Fat Controller and Sir Topham Hatt ARE the same person. He is called "The Fat Controller" in Europe but the US version changed him to "Sir Topham Hatt". My kids watch both versions so I got confused. I am the one who is the Fattist!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

In todays news: one person's (probably disingenuous) opinion about something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭blackwhite

cloud493 wrote: »

Strange how I guessed correctly that there would be a link to an opinion piece in the Guardian as I scrolled down through the text.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

or this

Wibbs wrote: »
    I do love the Japanese myself. Completely bonkers and nice people with it IME. Though I would have some agreement with AA Gill when he wrote; After 10 minutes in the land of the rising sun, you realise the Japs are off the map, out of the game, on another planet. It’s not that they’re aliens, but they are the people that aliens might be if they’d learnt Human by correspondence course and wanted to slip in unnoticed. Might be why I dig them and much of their culture though.

Honestly? The above is not at all how I'd describe Japanese people. They're normal, or at least as normal as anyone else. They are really, really far from the crazy, alien and unrelatable culture a lot of people think of. Western countries really have an overly exoticized view of Japan that just isn't the reality by a long shot.

I'd say the biggest culture shock you'd get if you landed in Japan, is the fact that public transport is awesome! :D
    Tony EH wrote: »

It's not really a case of "not giving a ****" it's more like, because of the medium of animation, if you can imagine it; you can create it. Anime is cheaper to produce than live action, and in Japan there isn't the idea that animation = childrens TV or comedy shows. So you can sometimes have situations where they wouldn't have the budget to produce something in live action, so they'd turn around and just animate it instead. Perfect Blue and Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade being two examples of anime movies that were originally conceived as live-action.

It's also relatively cheaper to produce anime in Japan, than in America for example. I've read that a single episode of Futurama cost as much as the entire series of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and director Makoto Shinkai made the entire movie Voices of a Distant Star by himself! So because of that, it's easier to make shows for niche audiences. It's also easier to make shows that are completely out there and so you get absolute head****s like Evangelion and Paranoia Agent and the like...

So that brings you a show like Girls Und Panzer, where someone had the idea of a bunch of schoolgirls who compete with other schools in competition tank battles, and they didn't have to water that idea down or make it palatable to a wide audience in order for it to get made. The niche audience it was aimed at (domestically, and overseas) lapped it up. It's also astonishingly good, had great characters who actually had decent character arcs, and the battle scenes were downright amazing.

By comparison, regular Japanese TV is pretty damn boring, you have your usual soap operas and other boring fluff that the majority of people would watch. You wouldn't get that over here, because who's interested in the Japanese equivalent of Fair City? What travels most often is the niche stuff. So we get the awesome stuff, but not the dross.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Journalists are awfully sensitive little PC creatures, but not even the guardian is outdone by the PC brigade over on TheJournal.ie. They'd be looking for some affirmative action to promote gender balance within the locos, have a female fat controller and avoid any racism by having a 50/50 of steam to diesels!

• Advertisement
Advertisement