Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call your parents?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mammai and Daddai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Mom & Dad for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Milly & Coco.

Legends in their own lifetimes. Wouldnt swap them for the world....even if they are completly bonkers. Theyd love to be called something as normal as Mum & Dad, but they know its just not fiesable at this late stage :D

Its strange being the (relatively) normal child of two nutcases.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I just call them the Elders

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Ma and Da:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

mummy and daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Deepsense wrote: »
    Milly & Coco.

Legends in their own lifetimes. Wouldnt swap them for the world....even if they are completly bonkers. Theyd love to be called something as normal as Mum & Dad, but they know its just not fiesable at this late stage :D

Its strange being the (relatively) normal child of two nutcases.

Ma is no longer with us, but she was a mad wagon and all my friends called her Ma, too.
    Da is my Hero and I love him to bits.

Ma once went for a pee behind a hedge on the way home from the local, left me as lookout.
    Anyway, the conversation went something like this.

Me: ffs Ma, will you hurry up.

Ma: I'm trying, but I can't get my tights down past my knees.

Me: Jaysus Ma , There is someone coming.

Ma: Fcuk.

Ma: Screaming, oh my arse!!!!!!!!!

She had sat in a bed of nettles and came running out from behind the hedge, knickers around her ankles and I was fcuking mortified.

The couple that passed us by tried not to laugh, but failed miserably.:o

Oh, I miss the daft person that was Ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

wasn't there a thread about this recently.......................................

and mommy and daddy =D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

There was indeed.

Ma and Da when talking to them directly, Teh Mother or teh Father when speaking of them in the third person, by their name or the aul lad or aul wan when im angry with them directly or in third person respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brillianthenry

Sorry everyone but it is officially 'mam and dad' in ireland,be it country or city, nothing else. i dont want anyone saying "well actually i say...." because you're wrong. If you call them by their name you're posh, if you say mummy or daddy you're posh.....

MAM and DAD!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

When i was older than 17/18, i began to call them Mary and Jack,now its just Jack left and I miss Mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Divorced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "mom" in real life..... definitely not anyone Irish - except on Boards, but then I don't know their nationalities. I always assumed that "mom" had some American influence?... Anyone?

ye ,ive never heard anyone in ireland calling their mam Mom, it is an american thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Audrey*

If talking to them I call my father by his first name but call my mother mam. If talking about them to others I'd call them my mother and father. Could never call my mother mum or mom. It feels wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Up until the age of twelve I called mine mamma and dadda,then mam and dad.My hubby still refers to his mam as mummy(RIP).My lot call me mam and hubby dad,not sure what they call us out of ear shot!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Mam and Dad for me. 'Mum' is just too pretentious and West-Brit for me...of course, having lived in England for nigh on 5 years now, I'm getting used to it but a small part of me still wants to punch every kid I hear saying 'Mum' :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I used to call them Ma and Da but not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I use Mammy and Daddy. It's just how us culchies say it. Ma and Da is such a dub and slightly knackery way of saying it. Mum and Dad is a D4 way of saying it.

Knackery? Thanks for the judgement.
    Please send me your list of approved words and phrases so I can save myself further social embarassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

they're Ma and Da

but if i want something or am introducing them or something they graduate to getting an extra letter,Mam and Dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

mam and dad like evey other normal person. I shudder when I hear mummy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Da (I only have him)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

Mary and Alfie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

It was "Mum" and "Dad", but they died 4 years ago.
    jaffa20 wrote: »
    Mum and Dad is a D4 way of saying it.
    Wow! It's far from D4 I was reared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

What do you call your parents?

Donor 887290 and Donor 996340.

Is your second name Kebab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

marko91 wrote: »
    ah kk guess youd know it wasnt a kid by the conversation....im guessing he was really posh?

Actually the fella I heard saying 'Mammy' was a traveller....

I use Mammy and Daddy. It's just how us culchies say it. Ma and Da is such a dub and slightly knackery way of saying it. Mum and Dad is a D4 way of saying it.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Milkey Bar Kid

When talking to them its Mam and Dad
    When Talking about them its Aul one & Aul fella

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I call them by their names 9 times out of ten. Otherwise I'd say mother/mam or dad/pops. Saying Mammy and Daddy is a real cuclhie thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

D4's usually say mom...

Advertisement