Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v. Tipperary, SHC QF, Semple Stadium, Thurles 4.00 pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Anyone think he fairly bought it? Doesn't matter I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If this was kilkenny they would be 20 points ahead.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Game over now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was there a swipe by the Dublin keeper after the goal when he was on the ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

kksaints wrote: »
    Game over now.

It's never over when tipp are involved.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Watching this game just makes me even more pissed off about Galway's defeat to Tipp. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Did anyone see the slap of the Hurley that Dublin goalkeeper Alan Nolan gave Bubbles O'Dwyer on the leg after he scored the goal. Pure dirt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Was there a swipe by the Dublin keeper after the goal when he was on the ground?

I thought so too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Yes I thought so, looked dirty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

That goal came from the Dublin free that got hit out over the sideline. Dublin were actually in the game and needed that penalty to go in.

Not impressed with Tipp either but they are getting the job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭webels

Tipp a class above. There is more atmosphere in a vacuum than there has been in Thurles today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

marco_polo wrote: »
    I thought so too

Yea for sure, he had a sneaky swipe at John O after the goal. Very bad form. Would have been gone had the referee seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Dublin players need two or three attempts to catch the ball. Tipp players first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CATwalk

Cork definitely won't fear this tipp team. Poor game severe lack of intensity. Bad year of hurling so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

webels wrote: »
    Tipp a class above. There is more atmosphere in a vacuum than there has been in Thurles today.

What is with that? Is it partly a mix of 4 different teams?
    CATwalk wrote: »
    Cork definitely won't fear this tipp team. Poor game severe lack of intensity. Bad year of hurling so far.

No reason at all for them. Tipp will be infuriating if they get that far, as I can't see them beating Cork.

Still nevous here about this game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It's never over when tipp are involved.

It is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Dublin are absolutely dreadful, big athletic fellas whose hurling skill is dreadful.

Whoever is in charge for Dublin next year they need a complete clear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

CATwalk wrote: »

i reckon tipp could take cork act. theyre quietly but efficiently going on without much fuss and improving in every match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Mushy wrote: »

No reason at all for them. Tipp will be infuriating if they get that far, as I can't see them beating Cork.

Just 2 poor matches I'd say.

Appears to be a spot of light drizzle in Thurles :D

sean mac wrote: »
    Dublin are absolutely dreadful, big athletic fellas whose hurling skill is dreadful.

Misnomer that.

Dublin have been bullied off the park today and they are full of small fellas.

Could the cameraman please give the lens an aul wipe please! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

You'd have to think it's the end of Daly's era with Dublin. He has brought them as far as he can I think. He won't have no options to go to afterwards, one would think.

I'd love to see him back involved with one of our underage teams in Clare.

Davy Fitz seems like he is on a downer. Very quiet in his analysis.

It's just not right I tells ya!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ch20

Good win for Tipperary. Dublin were not up for it today. 2 bad games overall today in thurles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭webels

Mushy wrote: »

No, just pixx poor standard frm wexford and the dubs. Hard to know what limerick and tipp have. Tipp wont fear cork and it will be 50:50. Would fancy kk but hope limerick have one great game in them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

donnem33 wrote: »
    i reckon tipp could take cork act. theyre quietly but efficiently going on without much fuss and improving in every match

The issue I have with Tipp is that they are only playing in fits and starts. Even today they left Dublin in it for a lot longer than Dublin's performance merited. They are improving but can't afford the kind of barren periods they have had in matches throughout this year if they are to beat Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

letowski wrote: »
    You'd have to think it's the end of Daly's era with Dublin. He has brought them as far as he can I think. He won't have no options to go to afterwards, one would think.

I'd love to see him back involved with one of our underage teams in Clare.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear! I just don't think Dublin have the talent regardless of who is over them to be honest. 2 bad matches today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

That Joanne Cantwell only has one question seemingly. After every game like a broken record 'are you going to walk away now'. Today she even asked Daly and O'Shea before the game as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dirtyden wrote: »
    That Joanne Cantwell only has one question seemingly. After every game like a broken record 'are you going to walk away now'. Today she even asked Daly and O'Shea before the game as well.

Daly pointed that out to her, its very poor form imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Davy Fitz seems like he is on a downer. Very quiet in his analysis.

It's just not right I tells ya!!!
    He is probably still shellshocked because of the "dog licence" he received in Lahinch yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

What a poor match and in particular a poor display from Dublin. I thought whatever about their hurling ability, they would have brought intensity to the game today. It looked fairly casual on the box tbh. Case in point were Lar's two points where he seemed to have plenty of time and space. As regards their ability I thought their first touch all over was sub IC standard. Even Darragh Moloney remarked on it - it was that obvious. They had a few patches during the game when they hit successive scores but Tipp were always able to hit back and widen the lead again at will. Tipp dominated in their HB and MF. The only Dublin forward who looked like he might threaten was Keaney as usual. He can carry a team against the likes of Wexford but Tipp have too many good hurlers to allow him do that.

What's next for Dublin? You'd imagine Daly has got whatever he could out of this bunch. If he stays he'll have to clear out and rebuild? Are the hurlers there?

Think Tipp should be happy enough. They won by just doing enough. Thought Bonner Maher was the pick of the forwards. Bubbles got the goals. Callinan while ok in the first half was out of it in the second. McGrath was anonymous for large parts and was eventually taken off. There's plenty for O'Shea to rake over. On this form Tipp wouldn't beat Cork. However today was all about the result. They'll raise it for Cork that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

I hope they highlight the stroke by the Dublin keeper today on the Sunday Game, he deserves to get a ban for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

irish son wrote: »
    I hope they highlight the stroke by the Dublin keeper today on the Sunday Game, he deserves to get a ban for it.

Yeah that was an absolutely cowardly hit. Deserves a ban for something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

glued wrote: »
    Yeah that was an absolutely cowardly hit. Deserves a ban for something like that

No mention on TSG. Far as I can tell, the cccc decides whether to investigate incidents based on the opinions of whoever is in the Sunday game panel the night before, so that's probably the last you'll hear about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

No mention on TSG. Far as I can tell, the cccc decides whether to investigate incidents based on the opinions of whoever is in the Sunday game panel the night before, so that's probably the last you'll hear about it.

It's an absolute joke that committee. I wonder are the convening members actually just Sunday Game panelists, and if not, do they even bother watching the games themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Lapin wrote: »
    Watching this game just makes me even more pissed off about Galway's defeat to Tipp. :(

Dublin are the one team in this year's c'ship that are worse than Galway. They can throw as many resources into hurling as they like, but I've said it time and again, the domestic scene has to be the bedrock of any future progress. They will not win Liam McCarthy until they win a club All-Ireland first. This is where all hurlers are stress-tested and learn their 'survival' skills.

MfMan wrote: »
    Dublin are the one team in this year's c'ship that are worse than Galway. They can throw as many resources into hurling as they like, but I've said it time and again, the domestic scene has to be the bedrock of any future progress. They will not win Liam McCarthy until they win a club All-Ireland first. This is where all hurlers are stress-tested and learn their 'survival' skills.

and thats working out well for galway every year.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

donnem33 wrote: »
    and thats working out well for galway every year.... :rolleyes:

It may not be! But at least they're competitive in something.
    In recent years (going back 20 or so), Killmallock (Lk), Wolfe Tones, Doora/Barefield (Clare), Birr (Offaly), Ballyhale(KK), Cashel King Cormacs, Toomevara (Tipp), Newtown..(Cork) have all competed in club finals at a time when their county has been going well. Club success is of course no guarantee of county success but it does show that the domestic scene is vibrant. Once ever (Crumlin, 79) has a Dublin club ever won a Leinster title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Poor game, Tipp were pretty good, Dublin were disappointing. It's not unsurprising though... Dublin continued in the same vein from the Leinster final, they just don't seem to have the quality up front tbh. Their touch, their intelligence... all was way off. I feel sorry for Daly tbh, there aren't many nicer guys in the game, but he should call it quits now... I think both he and Dublin need a fresh voice/challenge.

Tipp weren't fantastic, but they were good. They have some lovely hurlers, they had a better touch and were never dragged into a proper battle. Cork will be a much bigger test for them and we'll see what they're made of. I think there are still some question marks over some of their big-name players but Bonner, Bubbles, Gar Ryan, Brendan Maher, Cathal Barrett are likely to perform no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

The story of today is how far Dublin have regressed. I still make Cork favourites to take Tipp in the semi-final. Hard to believe they're the same odds really.

MfMan wrote: »
    It may not be! But at least they're competitive in something.
    In recent years (going back 20 or so), Killmallock (Lk), Wolfe Tones, Doora/Barefield (Clare), Birr (Offaly), Ballyhale(KK), Cashel King Cormacs, Toomevara (Tipp), Newtown..(Cork) have all competed in club finals at a time when their county has been going well. Club success is of course no guarantee of county success but it does show that the domestic scene is vibrant. Once ever (Crumlin, 79) has a Dublin club ever won a Leinster title.

i understand the point your trying to get across. Perhaps im just disillusioned with the success our galway clubs have, but then they cant all come together and unite with the county team.

In relation to your original point about dublin, they need to get all their best players on the field ie the likes of ciaran kilkenny (when back fit) cormac costello etc, all these players that showed great promise at underage. No more than with galway, they cant continue with the same bunch or they will go nowhere, they need to bring in fresh blood and adopt a youthful approach

My own 2c on the Dubs. They are not what i consider a poor side but definitely lack sharpness. They are an up and down side in terms of form. They lacked the tenacity today that they normally bring to games and sometimes they look like a team that dont work enough on the actual hurling drills. It seemed to be all stretches they done in the pre-match warm up and nothing with the hurl and ball. They certainly dont lack the fitness or athleticism for sure but need to get more accustomed to that sliothar. Their footballers by contrast are excelling because they have an abundance of men who are comfortable on the ball. What if all Bernard Brogan and co done consisted of mostly fitness?

Since Daly's first championship as manager they have varied from year to year

2009 - Lost Leinster final by a mere 6 points and unlucky in the quarter final against Limerick but made great strides overall having beaten Wexford in the semi

2010 - Got a tanking against Kilkenny in the Leinster semi but after beating Clare they then lost to Antrim in the qualifiers.

2011 - League champions and unlucky in the All Ireland semi final

2012 - Relegated to 1B and exited championship after two games. Heavy beating by Kilkenny in Portlaoise followed by a defeat in Ennis.

2013 - Leinster Champions and perhaps unlucky in the AI semi against Cork

2014 - Lost Leinster final heavily to Kilkenny and another heavy defeat to Tipp in the qualifiers

Given that they yo-yo in form there is something going awry in between each season. Whether Daly is overthinking things or there is still perhaps a niggling inferiority complex within Dublin remains to be seen.

I think the perfect appointment for Dublin would be if they could get Donal O'Grady on board for one season. He places big emphasis on getting the skillset right whilst also getting the balance of stamina and skill like he did with Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

They lacked the tenacity today that they normally bring to games and sometimes they look like a team that dont work enough on the actual hurling drills. It seemed to be all stretches they done in the pre-match warm up and nothing with the hurl and ball. They certainly dont lack the fitness or athleticism for sure but need to get more accustomed to that sliothar.

Funnily enough I was watching the Tipp warm up and thought the exact same thing about them. They started warming up at about 17/18 minutes to four and didn't use the sliotars until 7 minutes to four. I couldn't see all of the Dublin warm up due to people standing in front of me, but Dublin had already used the sliotars earlier, but were all stretching by the time Tipp started their ball work.

Past30Now wrote: »
    Funnily enough I was watching the Tipp warm up and thought the exact same thing about them. They started warming up at about 17/18 minutes to four and didn't use the sliotars until 7 minutes to four. I couldn't see all of the Dublin warm up due to people standing in front of me, but Dublin had already used the sliotars earlier, but were all stretching by the time Tipp started their ball work.

Id imagine though that Tipperary would have done alot of hurling drills in Dr Morris Park across the road earlier on. Alot of Tipp's training would consist of ball work and Eamon O'Shea to his credit is a martyr for this. Dublin to me just seem to lack that sharpness on the ball. Dotsy who is a fine hurler normally, had a great chance in the first half and miscontrolled it. Alot of their play looked very sloppy and lacklustre and they drove alot of bad wides. No doubting there is brilliant sticksmen on that Dublin team but until a time where they start embracing the arts of the game that bit more they will continue to be bridesmaids. Yes they have won Leinster and the league as well as having a spell of dominance at underage level at minor and under 21 in Leinster, but they'll never reach the next level at Senior the way things are at present. They need to go back to basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

^^^^
    just embedding the photos for all to see.

Swing.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

What was the song the tipp fans behind the goal were singing after they scored their second goal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

He gets his chance in the team, does really well, to be fair to him. And this does something stupid like this. The mind really boggles.

Advertisement