Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my employer track the pages i visit?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

CiaranC wrote: »
    Leaving your hacker fantasies aside, in the real world companies have no business interest in doing this.
    The question wasn't "Is my employer tracking me?", it was "Can my employer track me?"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

28064212 wrote: »
    The question wasn't "Is my employer tracking me?", it was "Can my employer track me?"

Being a human and not a computer, I look at the OP's entire message including its nuances, emotion and inflection. Not just the specific part of it that you have decided to home in on. This allows me to see that the OP's real worry was if her employer would be willing to invest the money and time needed to track her home computer usage. This is not a realistic worry and your response does nothing but fan the emotional fear developing.

To put this is perspective, it is in theory possible to recover data of a hard-drive that has been multi formatted and grinded to dust. The reality of the situation is that nobody has the need, money or resources to bother doing it. But using your logic if I said that if I grinded my drive to dust, was the data recoverable? Your answer would be "yes".

Being a human and not a computer, I look at the OP's entire message including its nuances, emotion and inflection. Not just the specific part of it that you have decided to home in on. This allows me to see that the OP's real worry was if her employer would be willing to invest the money and time needed to track her home computer usage. This is not a realistic worry and your response does nothing but fan the emotional fear developing.
    And I considered the possibility that if they were asking, they might have good reason to fear it e.g. they've already received a warning for similar, or they have a vindictive boss. That asking might suggest that they're in a situation where an employer would go above and beyond what a 'normal' employer does as routine
    To put this is perspective, it is in theory possible to recover data of a hard-drive that has been multi formatted and grinded to dust. The reality of the situation is that nobody has the need, money or resources to bother doing it. But using your logic if I said that if I grinded my drive to dust, was the data recoverable? Your answer would be "yes".
    Except that tracking usage on a computer that you own and have full access to is not difficult

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

And I considered the possibility that if they were asking, they might have good reason to fear it e.g. they've already received a warning for similar, or they have a vindictive boss. That asking might suggest that they're in a situation where an employer would go above and beyond what a 'normal' employer does as routine

You chimed in after the below post. Her original post didn't mention any good reason to fear tracking from her employer. And you failed to question if there was a good reason before implying that she was being tracked.
    Thanks for the replies guys. Well i've processes open but not sure what i should look out for?
    We don't have an IT department, just the manager, secretary and the rest of the staff:)
    Except that tracking usage on a computer that you own and have full access to is not difficult

I would love to know how you would implement, filter and monitor the usage of staff outside of the office for low cost in a organisation which consists of no IT department. I came from a company of 2k users with a IT staff of 40 and you would have been laughed out of the room had you suggested monitoring outside usage of laptops.

Keep in mind that you would have to do it for all users not just a single person.

You would also have to have clear and defined guidelines coupled with confirmation from the person that they are aware questionable usage either at home or in work in punishable.

And then you would have to be prepared to stand up in front of the labour court in Ireland and explain to them how home browsing and usage outside of work hours was detrimental to their job and justified punishment.

You chimed in after the below post. Her original post didn't mention any good reason to fear tracking from her employer. And you failed to question if there was a good reason before implying that she was being tracked.
    And what I said was that there was no way to guarantee tracking wasn't happening. I never commented on the likelihood of it. I most definitely didn't imply they were being tracked, so you're reading something that isn't there
    I would love to know how you would implement, filter and monitor the usage of staff outside of the office for low cost in a organisation which consists of no IT department. I came from a company of 2k users with a IT staff of 40 and you would have been laughed out of the room had you suggested monitoring outside usage of laptops.
    A simple keylogger would reveal quite a lot of data
    Keep in mind that you would have to do it for all users not just a single person.
    Why?
    You would also have to have clear and defined guidelines coupled with confirmation from the person that they are aware questionable usage either at home or in work in punishable.

And then you would have to be prepared to stand up in front of the labour court in Ireland and explain to them how home browsing and usage outside of work hours was detrimental to their job and justified punishment.
    It would be great if all employers were ethically upstanding members of society that played by the rules all the time. Unfortunately, that's just not true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I would not browse to anything questionable on a work machine.

Previously, I've worked on a fraud investigation where we collected company laptops and phones from a whole project team and forensically analysed them. This gave us access to a lot of things people thought they had deleted. In the investigation, most people were innocent and had their responsibilities and equipment returned to them, but investigators looked through everything.

Advertisement