Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark IVs

Options
  • 20-05-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

There is a post on the Irish rail past/present Facebook page that the Mark IVs and most 201s have been put up for sale, suprising?, untrue, or another scandalous waste of money on behalf of Irish Rail/government, discuss...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

davidlacey wrote: »
    There is a post on the Irish rail past/present Facebook page that the Mark IVs and most 201s have been put up for sale, suprising?, untrue, or another scandalous waste of money on behalf of Irish Rail/government, discuss...

I'll comment if its confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

quote from fb

"Spoke to train driver at Heuston today. Mark IVs are up for sale. Most are withdrawn from service and stored at Inchicore. Most of the 201 locos also up for sale."
    Believe it when confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Frankly this is just idle gossip.

There are four sets in service as such - three on a daily basis and one as maintenance spare.

The balance are in storage, but if the economy improves will come back into use. In the meantime they may be used to substitute for the Enterprise sets when they are being refurbished.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Is storage the right option though? and how are they stored? The same way the mark 3s/201s are? Nobody can deny the 201s were a scandalous waste of money, how many years did CIE/IE get out of 121s/141s almost 50 years?, just over 20 years into 201s lifespan and majority of them are lying to rot, They are not energy efficient and I am not making a case for running them for train spotters, but is there not a case for storing engines and rolling stock the right way so that if they do enter service again, there is little work to be done on them for an already cash-strapped IE?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If they kept the Mk3s and gave them a mid life refurb the 201s would have something to do but seeing as they went out and bought a load of ICRs the 201s are now surplus to requirements. Over 30% of the 201 fleet is out of use and/or not needed. They are not even bothering to repair them after major failures anymore.

All they are needed for is 3 Enterprise sets, 4 Mk4 sets and a few IWT liners per week. The 18 071s are less energy efficient but are all in use or soon will be as they are easier on the track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

and after it all the people of wexford wicklow and sligo still have to put up with a scheduled service being ran by a commuter railcar, while IE are allowed to waste money on rolling stock purchases and premature storing nothing will change, thats something that could be dealt with but no removing the subsidy when IE make savings is more important, shame on it all

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I understand 071s are easier on the rails and cleared on most lines unlike 201s but again it would not cost much to store the 201s properly as how much longer do the 071 fleet have? A railcar will not be able to operate the sperry, per way trains and whatever freight left

I understand 071s are easier on the rails and cleared on most lines unlike 201s but again it would not cost much to store the 201s properly as how much longer do the 071 fleet have? A railcar will not be able to operate the sperry, per way trains and whatever freight left

if IE wanted to keep the stock servicable (the 201s mk3s 2700s) they would be able to store it properly, they don't so they won't, and nobody relevant will ask the right questions and will continue to believe what IE say

if IE wanted to keep the stock servicable (the 201s mk3s 2700s) they would be able to store it properly, they don't so they won't, and nobody relevant will ask the right questions and will continue to believe what IE say

especially not that muppet varadkar

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Is storage the right option though? and how are they stored? The same way the mark 3s/201s are?

They are stored in a massive big box full of foam balls a little bit like this. When they are needed, they wipe the sleep out of the windows with industrial sized cotton buds using a steam crane. There are also a set of Bredins, a MGWR tender, several members of the IRRS and William Dargan's original terrapin stored alongside them.

Hib1.jpg

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

"Commercial Sensitivity"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've just undergone a body overhaul; you would hope they've 20 years left in them after that. The prime movers can be completely refurbished or replaced if required.

Whether the 201s that have HEP installed have that long left in them is another question entirely - the 071s could easily have more life left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

Smick, the station cat at Lisburn, told me that the CAF 3000s are due to be converted to 3rd rail DC, re-gauged and sold to Southern trains to operate the Gatwick Express.

GBOA wrote: »
    Smick, the station cat at Lisburn, told me that the CAF 3000s are due to be converted to 3rd rail DC, re-gauged and sold to Southern trains to operate the Gatwick Express.

I heard they were going to re-gauge the tracks

corktina wrote: »
    I heard they were going to re-gauge the tracks

I heard they were going to convert the rolling stock to English gauge and the track to Irish gauge. Best of both worlds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Given Ireland's conditions, if you're not shrinkwrapping and putting desiccant inside, you're not "storing".

The only place I think of that might be desperate enough to take a flyer on a package deal of 201+Mark 4 is Brazil (1600mm gauge remember). Any EU operator is likely to be concerned about the long run cost of those EMD 710s which lack the latest emissions mod cons. This isn't the first time the 201s were supposed to be on the block remember.

I'm marking this down as "IE wanting Varadkar to think they are REALLY trying".

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They are stored in a massive big box full of foam balls a little bit like this. When they are needed, they wipe the sleep out of the windows with industrial sized cotton buds using a steam crane. There are also a set of Bredins, a MGWR tender, several members of the IRRS and William Dargan's original terrapin stored alongside them.

http://www.tortoisesoutheast.co.uk/users/www.tortoisesoutheast.co.uk/upload/Hib1.jpg

;)
    Play nice

• Registered Users Posts: 37 John Denver

Does anyone know anything about the Biomass freight stream coming online next year?
    The reason I ask is I want to know do I.E have enough loco's to cope with extra freight streams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Does anyone know anything about the Biomass freight stream coming online next year?
    The reason I ask is I want to know do I.E have enough loco's to cope with extra freight streams?
    IE could probably borrow at least one 111 but I think there's a likelihood they'll run out of wagons first, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There are plenty of 071s and 201s for extra freight flows. One thing IE have no shortage of is locos. Wagons is another thing.

and yet they chopped some up in Cork last week I hear.

They chopped some in cork yard last week, correct, the ones in mallow rumour has it maybe overhauled

Wagons were lifted from Cork yard to Mallow for an eventual delivery to Limerick for refurbishment. From what I was told, and I am open to correction, but there wasn't any scrapping planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Firstly if IE put these up for sale (which I don't beleive they have) then it's just plan and simply stupidy from managment. Who would buy Mark 4 trains which are capped at 100mph. 10 years old, wrong gaguage + 201 loco's which are over 20 years old and drink diseal like no tomorrow and reduce lifetime of rails.

Where in Europe have lines capped at 100. Yes the Mark 4's can do 125 but another operator is not going to buy old stock and order new power cars when doing a complete new order would make more comerical and econmical sense long term.

Anyway most intericty routes in Europe are electrified or are planned to be in the not to distance future.....

Begins in September according to Port Company of at least that was the planned start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Firstly if IE put these up for sale (which I don't beleive they have) then it's just plan and simply stupidy from managment. Who would buy Mark 4 trains which are capped at 100mph. 10 years old, wrong gaguage + 201 loco's which are over 20 years old and drink diseal like no tomorrow and reduce lifetime of rails.

Where in Europe have lines capped at 100. Yes the Mark 4's can do 125 but another operator is not going to buy old stock and order new power cars when doing a complete new order would make more comerical and econmical sense long term.

Anyway most intericty routes in Europe are electrified or are planned to be in the not to distance future.....

Begins in September according to Port Company of at least that was the planned start.

Can you point me to studies that show that 7 Mk4s (passenger carrying vehicles) use more fuel than 7 22 engines? What about the wear and tear on all those little engines?

My understanding is when compared like with like, I.e 7 v 7 the Mk4s come out better than the 22s.

it is when you have half empty trains, that the problem arises, but can't short form them that the 22s running as 3/4 cars are most cost beneficial, but not on the busy trains that require 6/7 coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Can you point me to studies that show that 7 Mk4s (passenger carrying vehicles) use more fuel than 7 22 engines? What about the wear and tear on all those little engines?

My understanding is when compared like with like, I.e 7 v 7 the Mk4s come out better than the 22s.

it is when you have half empty trains, that the problem arises, but can't short form them that the 22s running as 3/4 cars are most cost beneficial, but not on the busy trains that require 6/7 coaches.

Never questioned the differance between 7 22 and 7 Mark 4 howeve the big problem with the Mark 4's is 201's and DVT ticking over 24/7 where as 22's don't cost money for large amounts of time when they are not working services.

However what I will say is if you are correct about 6/7 22 coming out better than a Mark 4 then surly from a cost point of view such workings of an extra Mark 4 would be justified on a Friday afternoon/Saturday mornig to replace the current 6/7 22. So the question is does the down time of the Mark 4 make them unviable?

Until recently they have 5 201's and 5 DVT's going 24/7 and ther was a reason for cutting that to 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Never questioned the differance between 7 22 and 7 Mark 4 howeve the big problem with the Mark 4's is 201's and DVT ticking over 24/7 where as 22's don't cost money for large amounts of time when they are not working services.

However what I will say is if you are correct about 6/7 22 coming out better than a Mark 4 then surly from a cost point of view such workings of an extra Mark 4 would be justified on a Friday afternoon/Saturday mornig to replace the current 6/7 22. So the question is does the down time of the Mark 4 make them unviable?

Until recently they have 5 201's and 5 DVT's going 24/7 and ther was a reason for cutting that to 3!

I would imagine the less vehicles you need in traffic the lower the cost. As Mk4s are better for only 3 days a week, so the 22s win out. But that won't always be the way.

Also locos and gen vans are shut down now at night. Even in Connolly they are shutting locos down if even for a few hours. So they are not on 24/7 as you suggest.

They are making cuts in one area, yet wasting it in others. I read the other day that €500,000 is to be spent on putting straps on the DART for passengers to hold on to. Now I use the DART everyday for getting in and out to work for the last 7 years and I have never found the need for such things. More money wasted.

• Advertisement

bikeman1 wrote: »
    I read the other day that €500,000 is to be spent on putting straps on the DART for passengers to hold on to. Now I use the DART everyday for getting in and out to work for the last 7 years and I have never found the need for such things. More money wasted.

is it a waste of money though? sure, you and me won't benefit from it but with the trains getting shorter meaning more standing they could be beneficial to some, maybe your right and it is a waste, i don't know

Advertisement