Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzard sighting maybe?

Options
  • 19-07-2010 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

While driving home recently I almost ran into a large bird trying to take a rabbit off the road. I believe it was a buzzard after looking at pic's of Irish birds of prey online, but have been told by several people it can't be as there aren't any in the south east(Carlow/Kilkenny area).
    It was evening time and sun was behind the bird but it seemed to be a brown and grey-ish colour, with dark wing tips, paler underneath. The wing tips were spread like fingers and it had a large rabbit, which it succeeded in flying off with.
    My twelve year old was very excited and thought she'd seen an eagle:D
    Could it have been a Buzzard?
    If not what could it have been?
    Sorry no pics as by the time I pulled over it was gone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

mymo wrote: »
    While driving home recently I almost ran into a large bird trying to take a rabbit off the road. I believe it was a buzzard after looking at pic's of Irish birds of prey online, but have been told by several people it can't be as there aren't any in the south east(Carlow/Kilkenny area).
    It was evening time and sun was behind the bird but it seemed to be a brown and grey-ish colour, with dark wing tips, paler underneath. The wing tips were spread like fingers and it had a large rabbit, which it succeeded in flying off with.
    My twelve year old was very excited and thought she'd seen an eagle:D
    Could it have been a Buzzard?
    If not what could it have been?
    Sorry no pics as by the time I pulled over it was gone.

From your description Buzzard seems the most likely option , don't listen to people who tell you there are no Buzzards in the south east , the are slowly extending their territory southwards over the past few years.
    I have had up to a dozen sightings in KK/Wexford area this year alone ( i would imagine the have spread to every county by now).
    They have been confirmed breeding in Co Wicklow since 2004 so not a big surprise to see them in the south-east.
    Regards Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Plenty of Buzzards in the SOuth East nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Could have very likely been an eagle, there has been many sightings on a lone female sea eagle doing the rounds, has been in the Wicklow area for the last month or so, and Kilkenny/Carlow would only be a short trip for an eagle!

Plenty of Buzzards around too though, so take your pick :)

No picking necessary. It was a Buzzard that was taking the rabbit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Could have very likely been an eagle, there has been many sightings on a lone female sea eagle doing the rounds, has been in the Wicklow area for the last month or so, and Kilkenny/Carlow would only be a short trip for an eagle!

Plenty of Buzzards around too though, so take your pick :)

I would have thought a sea eagle would have been a bit bigger, but I'm not that into birdwatching, just trying to satisfy the curiosity of my daughter.

I have since spoken to a friend that farms in the area and he says he's seen it several times and also thinks buzzard. He even thinks its nesting on his land as he see's it going to the same area with food regularly.
    So we have a plan, get binoculars and go to his house one evening for a Buzzard watch. I will bring the camera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Ptotty

Enjoy the sightings while you can.
    Farmers here are poisoning all the large birds of prey that some organisations are trying to bring back from 0.
    Like those releases in Wicklow.
    I presume this poisoning is happening all around Eire.
    There is barely a month that goes bye here without a poisoning in the papers with large ringed birds being held up for pics.
    Its the sheep farmer that seems to be the biggest predator.
    They leave out poison for the birds on purpose which surprisingly has not been banned.

Ptotty wrote: »
    Enjoy the sightings while you can.
    Farmers here are poisoning all the large birds of prey that some organisations are trying to bring back from 0.
    Like those releases in Wicklow.
    I presume this poisoning is happening all around Eire.
    There is barely a month that goes bye here without a poisoning in the papers with large ringed birds being held up for pics.
    Its the sheep farmer that seems to be the biggest predator.
    They leave out poison for the birds on purpose which surprisingly has not been banned.

Here we go again. (even without the gross over statement!)

Here we go again. (even without the gross over statement!)

Sorry I'm a newB round here.
    Can you please point me in the right direction where these unnecessary poisonings have been discussed already.
    Thanks in advance.

Very good,thanks again.
    I am getting stuck in right now to these.
    Sorry to the main person around here.
    A bit off topic.I know.
    Hi to all fellow bird/wildlife lovers here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement