Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bannerlady20

imurdaddy wrote: »
    People,people dont you know Gcu"s options are the only ones that count! We are all trying to pull the woll over his eyes!!

Agree, I've seen his posts on Pprune too.

I'd say GCFUD has dwelled on this a lot. GCFUD is convinced SNN did this to increase pax numbers. Yet there is no proof of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Where is the problem here?

Angelfire9 and Clareman genuinely tried to get to information at source.
    Hang on. One of them claimed that they heard or saw a statement from the airport that said these flights were not counted. The other said an airport employee told him that the flights were not counted. We know, from the stated figures, that they were counted.

And you are asking what's wrong?

This is just embarrasing at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bannerlady20

Hang on. One of them claimed that they heard or saw a statement from the airport that said these flights were not counted. The other said an airport employee told him that the flights were not counted. We know, from the stated figures, that they were counted.

And you are asking what's wrong?

This is just embarrasing at this stage.

GCUFD just let it go. Your the one who keeps bringing it up every where. They were counted. Get over it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Kess73 has already issued a warning on thread. Please refrain from backbiting and sniping at each other. You were already warned by Kess73 and therefore ignored mod instruction. We don't want a repeat of the arguments of the last thread, so please take it handy. Please remember to report any posts which break the rules and remember to attack the post not the poster. Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was dropping someone to the airport yesterday. Aer Lingus parked up B757 looked great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I was dropping someone to the airport yesterday. Aer Lingus parked up B757 looked great.

That was an early spot by you, as think only one of three recently leased Boeing 757s is currently in service.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Kess73 wrote: »
    That was an early spot by you, as think only one of three recently leased Boeing 757s is currently in service.

The second one (painted in the full AL livery) is in Shannon, but hasn't been handed over to AL yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The second one (painted in the full AL livery) is in Shannon, but hasn't been handed over to AL yet.

That's the one I saw on Sunday. Perked near a hangar close to the approach road.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ahh so it is parked up in Shannon but not in official use yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Kess73 wrote: »
    Ahh so it is parked up in Shannon but not in official use yet.

The inside is being done now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Pioneers and Aviators - A Century of Irish Aviation (RTE)

The two part documentary traces Ireland's aviation history from its humble beginnings when Alcock and Brown made the first transatlantic flight, landing in a bog in the West of Ireland, to the arrival of flying boats in Foynes with their glamorous movie-star passengers.

It charters the evolution of Aer Lingus, the development of airports at Shannon and Dublin, and the World's first Duty-Free shop at Shannon.

It also examines the pivotal emergence of Tony Ryan, the meteoric rise and fall of GPA, and the enduring dominance of Ryanair. Culminating finally in the present day story of Ireland's leading role in the global multi-billion dollar aircraft finance sector. Contributors include Former Aer Lingus CEO Willie Walsh, Boeing's CEO Ray Conner, Imelda Staunton, Peter Sutherland and former Minister for Transport Desmond O'Malley.

Only Ireland has this unique story, a story yearning to be told, a story of which we can all be proud. A story that is still being written.

RTÉ One, Thursday, 10.25pm (Episode 1 starts tonight)

Airbus A380-861 Air France.

Diverted flight AFR065 from Los Angeles to Paris-CDG at Shannon.

See also previous Posts 199, 353.

Image & Text by Paul Nelhams

12717691874_eb4e5d061e_c.jpg

Irish Terminal Air Traffic Up Despite Impact of Storms (IAA)

Shannon Airport terminal air traffic grew by 3.2% in January with an average of 38 daily movements.

295524.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Airbus A380-861 Air France.

Diverted flight AFR065 from Los Angeles to Paris-CDG at Shannon.

See also previous Posts 199, 353.

Image & Text by Paul Nelhams

12717691874_eb4e5d061e_c.jpg

I hope they are not counted in the annual passenger total or somebody will be upset. That's a lot of extra punters on 1 flight.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

January traffic up....and no Santa!!

Good news....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

relaxed wrote: »
    I hope they are not counted in the annual passenger total or somebody will be upset. That's a lot of extra punters on 1 flight.;)
    Over 500, or 1,000 between arrivals and departures. But, in fairness, at least they really arrived from another airport and really left again, bound for someone else.

And, when you think of it, it was really just another planeload of trans-Atlantic passengers landing at Shannon when they really wanted to be somewhere else. Sure, that's as much part of the Airport's tradition as Irish Coffee.

Sorry, the Irish Coffee was Foynes. And, in fairness, the first trans-Atlantic flight to land in Ireland when headed somewhere else was Wrong Way Corrigan.

According to the Independent there another two diversions to Shannon.

Emergency services including the Irish Coast Guard and RNLI were placed on standby earlier today after a US military plane diverted to Shannon Airport. The US Air Force (USAF) Military Airlift Command KC-135 air-to-air refueller was en route from the US to Mildenhall air force base in England when the crew declared an emergency. The pilot reported problems with one of the jet’s engines as well as control issues. There were 11 crew on board at the time.

Meanwhile, a man in his 50s is due to appear in court tomorrow charged in connection with an incident on board a flight that was forced to divert to Shannon Airport earlier. Air Transat flight TSC-711 was flying from Paris to Montreal in Canada and was about an hour into its journey when a passenger is alleged to have become “unruly” on board.

At this rate they would need to introduce a new statistic for diversions! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Anyone know if the Shannon - Edinburgh service runs through the winter? It's only up until October at the moment.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Shannon - Edinburgh service runs through the winter? It's only up until October at the moment.
    According to the destination guide, the schedule is year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

• Advertisement

But when I try to book it for November it tells me that the service finishes on October 25th.

But when I try to book it for November it tells me that the service finishes on October 25th.

To early, wait until April/May and it will be out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Summer schedule runs up until then. They wouldn't have the winter schedule loaded in quite yet. It ran 6 days a week this winter

OK, thanks, I'll just wait and see.

Budget Parking at Shannon Airport (Limerick Post)

Passengers using Shannon Airport will shortly have an option of cheaper parking as the airport is opening a new carpark a short distance from the existing ones.

Airport Authority CEO, Neil Pakey revealed the plan to offer budget parking at a Shannon Chamber breakfast briefing on Wednesday morning.

“Taking a leaf out of Ryanair's book, we will be offering a 'park for less' option not far from the airport shortly.” Mr. Pakey said.

parkingmap.sflb.ashx

Last year, I read that they got planning permission for the reconfiguration of the Terminal Building Forecourt.

The development comprised of alterations to the existing terminal building traffic management system, the provision of a a new vehicle set down area, covered walkway, signage replacement, relocation of parking spaces, car park surface overlay and footpath re-instatement.

I presume this is now finished?

Pioneers and Aviators - A Century of Irish Aviation Part two of two.

Documenting the rise of Tony Ryan's aircraft leasing company GPA after he decided that Aer Lingus needed a competitor. Ryanair was founded, and made its first flight out of Waterford in 1985, and despite strong resistance it went from strength to strength and was floated on the international stock markets. However, this put the company at risk until Michael O'Leary took it on a significant business and marketing journey that changed the face of European aviation forever.

Thu 27 Feb, 22:15 - 23:15 RTÉ One (Documentary)

For those of us who missed the first episode, it seems it can be seen on RTE’s Player, but I’m getting this message “Sorry, this content is currently not available in your region”. :(

Anybody else getting this message too?

See link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Budget Parking at Shannon Airport (Limerick Post)

Passengers using Shannon Airport will shortly have an option of cheaper parking as the airport is opening a new carpark a short distance from the existing ones.

Airport Authority CEO, Neil Pakey revealed the plan to offer budget parking at a Shannon Chamber breakfast briefing on Wednesday morning.

“Taking a leaf out of Ryanair's book, we will be offering a 'park for less' option not far from the airport shortly.” Mr. Pakey said.

parkingmap.sflb.ashx

Last year, I read that they got planning permission for the reconfiguration of the Terminal Building Forecourt.

The development comprised of alterations to the existing terminal building traffic management system, the provision of a a new vehicle set down area, covered walkway, signage replacement, relocation of parking spaces, car park surface overlay and footpath re-instatement.

I presume this is now finished?

One thing going for Shannon is a good stock of car park space and its a strength they should leverage on. Remember a few years back there was parking on the left hand side just after the last roundabout for the industrial estate. If they offered free or very cheap parking somewhere that far out it would be another advantage as anybody reasonably fit could drop the family and the bags at the terminal and stroll back to the terminal in around 10 minutes.

Not sure what Dublin Airport charge but its probably around €50 for 2 weeks cheapest rate.

Not sure what Dublin Airport charge but its probably around €50 for 2 weeks cheapest rate.

If your not sure then why guess and post wrong infomation,m there is cheap and expensive parking availabel it just depends if people want to walk or catch a bus to the terimanl.

Yeah relaxed, your guess was €6 dearer than it actually is! :rolleyes:

Incidentally the cheapest Shannon had on offer was €69 for two weeks (15 days rounded).

• Advertisement

Charter Flight at Shannon for Horses (Limerick Leader)

A leading Irish horse trainer made arrangements for a special Emirates charter flight to land at Shannon Airport to transport horses to the Breeders’ Cup in California (October 2013).

It is understood that the leading horse trainer in question was Aiden O’Brien who had a number of horses competing at the Breeders’ Cup.

The Cashel based trainer struck gold in the Breeders’ Cup Turf when Magician rocketed to a sensational victory.

The Emirates SkyCargo plane boasts custom design stalls for horses, controlled temperature zones, and on board grooms to ensure the horses travel safety.

10543300344_11596749c8_c.jpg

I suppose the prize money is too small here to attract American horses to Ireland but the 3 $ million prize money was very worthwhile for Aiden O’Brien.

Will we see the likes of Bord na gCon flying out greyhounds to Miami too?

Image Donal Morrissey

Advertisement