Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running or walking

• 12-09-2014 4:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40

If the distance is equal, which burns most calories, is healthiest for you? Say, you can either walk 5k or jog it. Any difference in the benefits?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

If the distance is equal, which burns most calories, is healthiest for you? Say, you can either walk 5k or jog it. Any difference in the benefits?

Running is better cardio. Walking is better if you're quite overweight and don't want to ruin your joints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 JimBobPlayer

Ok thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Hi. The primary purpose of walking and jogging ( know as cardiovascular exercise ) is to improve the overall health of your heart and lungs. Burning calories is incidental.

If your a beginner and your in the mindset that 'burning most calories' is what you should focus on your well on the way starting off your fitness in the wrong vein and can ultimately lead to complete failure due to unrealistic exceptions from the outset.

Don't think you can eat whatever calories and sneakily burn them off later. It won't work.

Obviously the more you push your heart and lungs the better it is for you fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I took up running about two years ago after 10+ years of doing little to no exercise. Here's what worked for me..

If you are a complete beginner I would start with walking only, at a brisk pace for a few weeks. If you walk/jog/run similar routes regularly, time yourself and track your progress. It's a bit of a challenge and makes it less of a chore.

As you feel yourself getting more comfortable walking long distances, take up light jogging combined with your walking. Giving yourself time to get your breath back and going again.

You will see improvements in a short period of time once you stick at it. Keep building your fitness until you are comfortable jogging/running the entire distance. I'd also try to have a few different routes so you're not looking at the same scenery day in, day out. That depends on your location of course and it's not always possible.

My goal starting out was to get fit enough to do a 5k race, which I did after 7-8 months. I started at 120kg.

I'm hoping to do 10K next month and genuinely love running now.

If joint pains are a problem I found a cross trainer to be your friend.

*Edit - the correct footwear is essential if you don't want to destroy your feet. Don't have to be expensive just make sure they are suitable for walking/running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Walking is great. If you can run same distances, then its even greater!
    I personally cant run as I am "fat bastard". I just wreck my legs and I cant do big distances while running. Instead I try to go for longer distance walks.
    Running will be better if your body can handle, but there is nothing wrong walking.
    The post above explains it better.

To give you a real world example. In 6 weeks I went from 128kg to 111.5kg by walking 5.2miles almost daily. Thats of course with added healthy diet.

• Advertisement

In 6 weeks I went from 128kg to 111.5kg by walking 5.2miles almost daily. Thats of course with added healthy diet.

16.5kg in 6 weeks? I'd say that most certainly had a lot more to do with the diet! :eek:

Although in saying that, I do find that if I go out for a walk or attempt a jog, i tend to generally eat better that day. I find walking/jogging makes me feel full, even though I haven't ate. A natural diet suppressant for me.

Swimming on the other hand, makes me want to eat like a horse. It's mad how different things affect different people.

That said, I'd also be interested in the OP's question, which hasn't been answered: Are walking and running the same distance really equal, in terms of calories burned?

I know walking takes longer, but running requires more effort... My natural instinct would be to believe that the running would do more burning as after jogging 5k I can barely stand, but after walking 5k, I may not have broken a sweat...?

Advertisement