Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended Rest/Recovery time?

• 08-09-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

What is the recommended recovery time between working arms and chest? As in how long should I wait before i use the bench press after my workout?

And for chest, how long between doing crunches etc. before the muscle builds itself back stronger?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What program are you following?
    Crunches aren't going to affect your chest workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

Mellor wrote: »
    What program are you following?
    Crunches aren't going to affect your chest workout.

I'm mainly talking about arms, (bench press, dumbbell curls etc. )

How long should I wait for the muscle to grow back before i work on arms again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What are your goals?

Strength, hypertrophy, endurance?

What are your sets/reps like?

What are your goals?

Strength, hypertrophy, endurance?

What are your sets/reps like?

Strength mainly, Around 12.5 kg's for now and 10 reps of 4 or 5 sets, the amount of sets vary but usually around 5!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If its strength you are trying to improve. You should drop the reps, increase the weight regularly.
    As in, nest session 15kg x 6 DB press, 17.5kg x 6 the next session etc

By the time you train the rest of your body (back, arms, shoulders, legs) you'll be able to train chest again.

• Advertisement

If its strength you are trying to improve. You should drop the reps, increase the weight regularly.

By the time you train the rest of your body (back, arms, shoulders, legs) you'll be able to train chest again.

Thanks, will definitely try that. I'm just worried I won't be able to lift that much. I'll try it with a spotter

Thanks, will definitely try that. I'm just worried I won't be able to lift that much. I'll try it with a spotter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're not able to lift it, then drop the weight to something you can lift. But try to progress each time you do.

If that means you go up to 15kg dumbbells from 12.5kg or if you can get extra reps on your last set, e.g. 4 sets of 5 with as many reps as you can manage on the last set.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

I train for hypertrophy mainly, but I've always found 1-2 days rest to be optimal. AFter 2 days it seems that my body isn't primed as well anymore to build on the next workout. Right now I do full-body routines every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I've been making great size and strength gains.

-Lee

Advertisement