Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV is going up from the 1st December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes.
    30 days from when they contact you. Which AFAIK is usually a month before the price change takes effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yes.
    30 days from when they contact you. Which AFAIK is usually a month before the price change takes effect.

I phoned Sky this morning

The original bundle is going up to 30euros per month

He also told me RTE1hd and rte catch up should be available in a few weeks
    I predict in early November the new RTE content will come to sky, at the same time subscribers are getting letters/e-mails to explain why the increases are happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Been with Sky since February and am on the Variety and Broadband for 95 euro a month. Was 75 for the first 6 months. I haven't received any letters telling me about this increase but can I ring up and say I've got a letter and therefore want to cancel in order to get myself a better deal?

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Been with Sky since February and am on the Variety and Broadband for 95 euro a month. Was 75 for the first 6 months. I haven't received any letters telling me about this increase but can I ring up and say I've got a letter and therefore want to cancel in order to get myself a better deal?

letters will go out in November 2015 after the new RTE content is added to sky Tv

most people I know only have the variety package for 'at the races' as PBS America is going fta from Nov 2015

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ftakeith wrote: »
    letters will go out in November 2015 after the new RTE content is added to sky Tv

most people I know only have the variety package for 'at the races' as PBS America is going fta from Nov 2015

letters will go out before that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You make these speculative comments as if you were a Sky employee. So could you confirm the following:

1. Do you work for Sky? (I think we all know the answer)
    2. Can you confirm as a fact that letters are going out in November and provide a link to where this statement can be confirmed?

muffler wrote: »
    You make these speculative comments as if you were a Sky employee. So could you confirm the following:

1. Do you work for Sky? (I think we all know the answer)
    2. Can you confirm as a fact that letters are going out in November and provide a link to where this statement can be confirmed?

1 I never worked for Sky, I am a civil servant

2 I was told on the phone that letters will be going out in november

I will cancel sky sports on November 30th 2015 as sky sports is hardly watched in my house
    I watch more live sports on the setanta pack

I will also cancel sky boxed sets at the same time as I have catched up on sky tv content

From January 2016, I will have just sky fibre broadband, the sky original pack and the setanta pack for 80euros per month. I have a special deal for fibre for the first 12months and the setanta pack on cheap deal also

In February 2016 I will subscribe to netflix for one month and than cancel after this month. Or I might get another free netflix month like I did in August 2015

at 220pm
    Sky lady line manager phoned me to ask who told me about the 1 euros increase.
    But she did not deny about the increase of 1euros but letters will be sent to every sky tv customer

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

I will cancel sky sports on November 30th 2015 as sky sports is hardly watched in my house

I will also cancel sky boxed sets at the same time as I have catched up on sky tv content

From January 2016, I will have just sky fibre broadband, the sky original pack and the setanta pack for 80euros per month. I have a special deal for fibre for the first 12months and the setanta pack on cheap deal also

In February 2016 I will subscribe to netflix for one month and than cancel after this month. Or I might get another free netflix month like I did in August 2015

at 220pm
    But she did not deny about the increase of 1euros but letters will be sent to every sky tv customer

What will you have for lunch on the third Tuesday of January :)

Dave..M wrote: »
    What will you have for lunch on the third Tuesday of January :)
    pasta for lunch

of course if you really want to save money with sky tv there is a way but we can't mention here in a public forum or we will be banned for life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Its gas the way they are giving out for employees at the call centre telling people about the increase. Is it a state secret or something? Obviously by now they know the price increase and are just spoofing people along as they have to get all their promotion material etc. printed in advance.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yes.

actually 31 days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

at 220pm

Why is your username ftakeith? What does the fta mean in your username?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭IrishBlaine

Just had a look at my future bills, My bill is going up by 50 cent, I'm on original.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Just had a look at my future bills, My bill is going up by 50 cent, I'm on original.

Going up €2.50 for me on Variety+Sports&Movies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

kleefarr wrote: »
    Dumped Sky 2 weeks ago. They even offered same basic service for €32 a month cheaper. LOL

Shows what a bloody rip off they are.

No rewards for being loyal either.

Want it cheaper?
    Threaten them with leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Cancelled yesterday was offered 15 per month to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

Mine is going up by €2.25 per month. Variety Pack

Up till Feb 2015 it cost me €28 per month (€336 per year)
    Feb 2015 increased to €30.75 per month (€369 per year)
    Dec 2015 increased to €33 per month (€396 per year)

So then within 12 months mine has increased by €5 per month or €60 per year.

How long before the next price increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Does this price increase let you cancel your package free of charge if you're under contract?

EDIT - Sorry I see this was answered earlier so new question.

Will this entitle me to cancel all my sky, tv AND broadband, even though I'm still in contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mine going up €1

Just the excuse I needed to cancel contract early. The loss of Champions league and dispersion with United games makes it pointless. Found a better alternative.

Will be contacting tomorrow to initiate cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭dubmick

Mine going up €2.50

I didn't see any mention of RTE1 HD on the letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

Forget Sky, if you have a decent internet connection get Kodi. Everything is there and more. And it's free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ruxjit wrote: »
    Forget Sky, if you have a decent internet connection get Kodi. Everything is there and more. And it's free :)

not completely convinced with kodi but i havent it set up properly yet. ive never checked out the paid services. assume theyre better than the free services? id be looking at the other alternatives before kodi

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    not completely convinced with kodi but i havent it set up properly yet. ive never checked out the paid services. assume theyre better than the free services? id be looking at the other alternatives before kodi

Kodi works fine if you get the right addons if you keep everything updated.

I don't know of any paid services on Kodi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sky's profits up nearly 10% this quarter. Shows that less content and higher prices works as a combination.

Sky will never change their buisiness model while people carry on paying for less content.

If they add extra channels such as ITV 2,3 & 4 or Ch 5 to soften the blow of a price increase,then they might not have many cancellations!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There is no discussing illegal downloading or streaming here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

paying over 62 euro for my father to watch sports and my mum who likes the sky + features.

going to have give them a ring and get a reduced rate as i cant keep that up.

will just offer a reduced rate or do i have to threaten to cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

irishgeo wrote: »
    paying over 62 euro for my father to watch sports and my mum who likes the sky + features.

going to have give them a ring and get a reduced rate as i cant keep that up.

will just offer a reduced rate or do i have to threaten to cancel?

They'll offer you a reduced rate first but how reduced is the question.
    Have a look through the last few pages on this thread -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056738469&page=269

Will give you an idea of what they are capable of offering ans what their limits currently are. Should give you something to aim for. Depending on who you get you may have to play hard ball and tell them to cancel (you have 30days to decide then).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

zorro2566 wrote: »
    If they add extra channels such as ITV 2,3 & 4 or Ch 5 to soften the blow of a price increase,then they might not have many cancellations!

All FTA. No need for Sky.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    All FTA. No need for Sky.

Would be nice to have them on the EPG so they are recordable and series link programmes on them!

Advertisement