Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky TV is going up from the 1st December 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

Forget Sky, if you have a decent internet connection get Kodi. Everything is there and more. And it's free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ruxjit wrote: »
    Forget Sky, if you have a decent internet connection get Kodi. Everything is there and more. And it's free :)

not completely convinced with kodi but i havent it set up properly yet. ive never checked out the paid services. assume theyre better than the free services? id be looking at the other alternatives before kodi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    not completely convinced with kodi but i havent it set up properly yet. ive never checked out the paid services. assume theyre better than the free services? id be looking at the other alternatives before kodi

Kodi works fine if you get the right addons if you keep everything updated.

I don't know of any paid services on Kodi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sky's profits up nearly 10% this quarter. Shows that less content and higher prices works as a combination.

Sky will never change their buisiness model while people carry on paying for less content.

If they add extra channels such as ITV 2,3 & 4 or Ch 5 to soften the blow of a price increase,then they might not have many cancellations!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There is no discussing illegal downloading or streaming here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

paying over 62 euro for my father to watch sports and my mum who likes the sky + features.

going to have give them a ring and get a reduced rate as i cant keep that up.

will just offer a reduced rate or do i have to threaten to cancel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

irishgeo wrote: »
    paying over 62 euro for my father to watch sports and my mum who likes the sky + features.

going to have give them a ring and get a reduced rate as i cant keep that up.

will just offer a reduced rate or do i have to threaten to cancel?

They'll offer you a reduced rate first but how reduced is the question.
    Have a look through the last few pages on this thread -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056738469&page=269

Will give you an idea of what they are capable of offering ans what their limits currently are. Should give you something to aim for. Depending on who you get you may have to play hard ball and tell them to cancel (you have 30days to decide then).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

zorro2566 wrote: »
    If they add extra channels such as ITV 2,3 & 4 or Ch 5 to soften the blow of a price increase,then they might not have many cancellations!

All FTA. No need for Sky.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    All FTA. No need for Sky.

Would be nice to have them on the EPG so they are recordable and series link programmes on them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

Would be nice to have them on the EPG so they are recordable and series link programmes on them!

For what Sky charge I can live without that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Humax Freesat Freetime does recordable and series link programmes for UK Freesat

Sky Multi-room is one expense where sky subscribers could delete forever if they are living in the same house or keep it for more than 2 houses, replace the sky box with a Humax Freesat Freetime for freesat
    from January 2016, I will have the sky original bundle and the setanta pack only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So Sky refused me in terms of ringing to cancel out of my contract.

The first line was that because the increase was not more then 10% I didn't have an option to remove myself from the contract. Explained that is not how contracts work, and then was told "oh hold on a second" and advised my account was not receiving a price increase.

So fair enough, I'm not getting an increase so I've no exit. Just con-incidental that all of a sudden that euro increase disappears

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

TheDoc wrote: »
    So Sky refused me in terms of ringing to cancel out of my contract.

The first line was that because the increase was not more then 10% I didn't have an option to remove myself from the contract. Explained that is not how contracts work, and then was told "oh hold on a second" and advised my account was not receiving a price increase.

So fair enough, I'm not getting an increase so I've no exit. Just con-incidental that all of a sudden that euro increase disappears

You arent getting it as you likely signed up in the last 12 months and your price will only go up once in a 12 month period.

Your price will go up once your 12 months has expired, regarding the 10% it will be in the t & c's you agreed to when you signed up

From www.sky.com, new prices from 1st Dec 2015 per month are

original bundle €29.50
    variety bundle €39
    sky sports €57.50
    sky movies no change I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

You arent getting it as you likely signed up in the last 12 months and your price will only go up once in a 12 month period.

Your price will go up once your 12 months has expired, regarding the 10% it will be in the t & c's you agreed to when you signed up

I think his point was that he was informed it was going up now but once he threatened cancellation they basically changed there mind on the increase.

Even if there was a 10% clause, seems they weren't to confident on using that as their stand point.

I'll give it to them, that's a clever one on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,309 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This post has been deleted.
    Well no actually...at least not in every instance.

The 2 things to remember whether people like it or not is that Sky guarantee not to increase the subscription within the first 2 months of the contract and by not more than 10% in a 12 month period. Thats all in the T & C's that people agree to when they sign up for the service and people really should make better use of the 14 day cooling off period by reading the T & C's.

On a separate but related note I think its probably better if the members here would post their objections to the price increase in this dedicated thread in Sky's talk to forum. Mightn't do any good but the more that object the more it gets their attention.

pippip wrote: »
    I think his point was that he was informed it was going up now but once he threatened cancellation they basically changed there mind on the increase.

Even if there was a 10% clause, seems they weren't to confident on using that as their stand point.

Yeah I was laughing at the end of the call as we both knew what had just happened, but the lady on the phone wouldn't admit it. And clearly a clever move on their part. By staying €3 of increases (December to March) they have ensured they keep my three month fee of €27.50 a month, for three months.

I went into the call knowing well what the story was by the way. Their T&C's line of 10% increase is nonsense. At the base there is a contract between two parties for a service provided for a fixed term at a fixed price.

The supplier can't ahead of it say "oh we might just increase the price" just as I cant say"oh I might start paying you less"

So after the support staff consulted with her manager they were not feeling confident pursueing that line of the T&C's with me.

They just stopped trying the line and reverted the increase. So fair enough, no grounds to exit contract.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Well no actually...at least not in every instance.

The 2 things to remember whether people like it or not is that Sky guarantee not to increase the subscription within the first 2 months of the contract and by not more than 10% in a 12 month period. Thats all in the T & C's that people agree to when they sign up for the service and people really should make better use of the 14 day cooling off period by reading the T & C's.

Those same T&C's are pretty standard in most service contracts. And with most service contracts, they have some stuff in there that sounds correct enough to put off people less informed or not confident enough to challenge them,

Sky's very own T&C about percentage price increase was challenged by the CCPC I believe and deemed as still an option to exit from contract.

I'd also argue the 14 day cooling of period can be massively pointless in a lot of situations. Sky's confirmation of loosing the CL and also their further loss of exclusivity to Manchester United games for example to BT, happened way past the initial 14 day cooling off period.

I'm not overly bothered with how the situation turned out. Sure it would have been nice to save myself three months payment of €25+ quid, but I've organised alternative arrangements in the last few months, along with me being a heavy user of the likes of Netflix and other VOD services. I'd downgraded to having just the basic package in HD(which went up in price this year from my last year conctract) so its an utterly pointless service I'll be doing without.

I also have a UPc Horizon box sitting in the wrapper. UPC cold called me, offered me savings on my existing Phone and BB package, by just taking the TV pack for free. So I've a TV service from them until summer 2016, if I want to bother, which I most likely won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 fuzzby100

I got my sky letter this morning - €2.25 increase on top of €31.50 (original package). Time to go.

fuzzby100 wrote: »
    I got my sky letter this morning - €2.25 increase on top of €31.50 (original package). Time to go.

Variety Package is going up which is a disgrace by Sky Tv as Variety Package has very limited content to watch
    PBS America will be free to air on satellite and on freesat next week
    Most of the horse racing meetings on At the Races are on RTEtv and channel4.
    Most of the content on the rest of the documentary tv channels were on the UK and Irish terrestrial TV channels before they are shown on the DiscoveryUK TV documentary tv channels
    Eurosport channels don't show much exclusive live sport where the majority of viewers would watch
    MTV channels are not worth watching as they show very little music
    Most of the news channels are free to air except for the Fox News.
    To conclude the Variety package needs to be part of the Original Bundle.
    For 39euros per month, sky tv are
    ripping off subscribers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

pippip wrote: »

badly informed agent, they agent will have no input into whether the increase is applied or not

badly informed agent, they agent will have no input into whether the increase is applied or not

Well I'll see come Decembers billing cycle. Request a call reference for which I was provided so have confirmation that an increase is not being applied to my account.

Start of the call she seemed to confirm I was receiving a price increase, after going on hold for a few minutes came back explaining it was all a big mistake. I'd imagine that a supervisor did something to my account and the increase no longer applies.

Considering the amounts of people cancelling the night before, wouldn't be surprised if they rolled out options for T2+ support to remove the increase to keep customers on till end of contract.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well I'll see come Decembers billing cycle. Request a call reference for which I was provided so have confirmation that an increase is not being applied to my account.

Start of the call she seemed to confirm I was receiving a price increase, after going on hold for a few minutes came back explaining it was all a big mistake. I'd imagine that a supervisor did something to my account and the increase no longer applies.

Considering the amounts of people cancelling the night before, wouldn't be surprised if they rolled out options for T2+ support to remove the increase to keep customers on till end of contract.

most sky tv customers won't notice the price increases and they will do nothing

the small amount of sky tv customers that do notice the price increases will be dealt on a case by case basis

ftakeith wrote: »
    most sky tv customers won't notice the price increases and they will do nothing
    Every customer will get a letter advising of the increases so I dont know why you would make such a comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Every customer will get a letter advising of the increases so I dont know why you would make such a comment.

His username kinda gives away his stance on the whole thing! Although I do see what he is saying.

If Sky just a add a few Euro every x months to the bill, people tend not to get so worked up about it. I think most Sky customers will just say 'oh well' and carry on still paying Sky. A high percentage of them probably don't actually need Sky to view the channels they watch, but are unaware or unwilling to bother looking at alternatives. The mentality is - If you want TV then it's UPC or Sky only.

most Irish sky subscribers will get the letter and they don't mind paying extras for the best league in the world with sky sports

70% of the live games from the English Premier League are terrible games on Sky, BT Sport and Setanta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I left back in August after 15 years and its the best move I have made.
    Didnt even realise there was an increase coming so soon.

If in doubt, cancel. You can always go back if it doesnt suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Just got the increase letter the other day and decided to call to cancel as Im genuinely thinking of sorting out some kind of freeview setup. It's just not worth the 37 quid to me.

The guy offered me €29 p/m for 9 months and then when i persisted offered to drop me to a basic package with no documentaries for €19 p/m. He didnt really push it and never came back with the fabled half price for 9 months, he just accepted the cancelation.

I suppose I will see if they come back to me the final week with some offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭lertsnim

MBSnr wrote: »
    His username kinda gives away his stance on the whole thing! Although I do see what he is saying.

A few years ago maybe. He is the poster boy for pay tv now.

lertsnim wrote: »
    A few years ago maybe. He is the poster boy for pay tv now.

for limited pay tv with freesat/saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Not Quite A Hipster

My 12 month contract doesn't end until March, can I leave early if they put the price up during the contract?
    I can't find it written anywhere but I thought the sales rep said it to me originally. If I can't, come March I'm out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Got my letter yesterday. An increase of 3.75 a month.
    I was going to cancel earlier in the year and they gave me a 20% reduction. I really would like to keep the sports but this increase will mean almost 60 euros a month so think its time to call it a day.

My 12 month contract doesn't end until March, can I leave early if they put the price up during the contract?
    I can't find it written anywhere but I thought the sales rep said it to me originally. If I can't, come March I'm out!

I think there is a clause they can increase your subscription up to 10% with 1 increase within 12 months.

most Irish sky subscribers will get the letter and they don't mind paying extras for the best league in the world with sky sports

70% of the live games from the English Premier League are terrible games on Sky, BT Sport and Setanta

But Sky have less sport content now. They don't have champions league for one. In all fairness they should reduce the price not increase it, but like people here are saying its the mentality of things that people just assume that the only way to get TV is via Sky or UPC for their 5% of viewing habits (95% of viewing is available FTA)

snaps wrote: »
    But Sky have less sport content now. They don't have champions league for one. In all fairness they should reduce the price not increase it, but like people here are saying its the mentality of things that people just assume that the only way to get TV is via Sky or UPC for their 5% of viewing habits (95% of viewing is available FTA)

But Sky's view is they have more live sports like the British Open Golf and more live premier league football which kicks in next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

At the moment we are paying €56 for Variety with Sports. The increase will be €1.75 for us.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    At the moment we are paying €56 for Variety with Sports. The increase will be €1.75 for us.

How can Sky TV justify increasing the Variety package to 39euros per month as most of the best documentaries are on Freesat/Saorview.
    Than 6 months later the same documentaries are premieres on the Discovery Channels except for PBS America which is fta and is now on freesat.
    I have just the Sky TV's original bundle for Sky Atlantic mostly and the setanta pack from January 2016.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How can Sky TV justify increasing the Variety package to 39euros per month as most of the best documentaries are on Freesat/Saorview.
    Than 6 months later the same documentaries are premieres on the Discovery Channels except for PBS America which is fta and is now on freesat.
    I have just the Sky TV's original bundle for Sky Atlantic mostly and the setanta pack from January 2016.

Get a Freesat recorder and you can cancel Sky. Do it now.

Get a Freesat recorder and you can cancel Sky. Do it now.

I have a freesat recorder but I also have sky tv

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have a freesat recorder but I also have sky tv

Out of interest, what do you get on the Sky that is not available on Freesat - and is it worth it?

Out of interest, what do you get on the Sky that is not available on Freesat - and is it worth it?

sky atlantic, Fox, sky arts, watch, comedy channel, 'Sky Store Buy and Keep' and I have the setanta pack on sky
    I think its worth it but if Now TV from Sky is available here in Ireland, I could cancel Sky TV on satellite as I have no interest from January 2016 in sky sports

About what percentage of your viewing would require a Sky sub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

My nine months half price viewing is up in a few weeks, so I'll be cancelling. I did the same thing last january (again, after nine months half price), and I started getting emails offering a new half price deal within a couple of weeks. Hopefully, the same thing will happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

With a discount deal I think its worth it, currently on a 50% deal paying €45 a month for entertainment,documentaries, sport and HD.
    Watch various sky One/Atlantic TV shows; Game of Thrones, The Affair, Karl Lillington, a league of their own, modern family.
    Watch alot of the documentary channels and comedy central.
    Watch golf, football, NFL on sports.
    Now watching lots of box sets; entourage, Veep, prison break, sons of anarchy.

I'd say 60 percent sky channels versus 40 FTA.

Ovrall happy enough paying between 45-60 for that. Luckily got a very good deal during the summer.

About what percentage of your viewing would require a Sky sub?
    50% of sky, 50% of freesat/saorview

I hardly go to the cinema or the theatre anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Enraged (well, miffed), I rang Sky to discuss dropping Sky Sports in the new Year (after the NFL season). I got offered Sports plus Movies for €7 less than what I'm currently paying for Sports alone, for six months. I'll now cancel Sky Sports sometime before that six months is up. Wife and kids are delighted with the movies for the Halloween holidays. It pays to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Haven't missed Sky at all since dropping it.
    Everything that the wife wants to watch can be found on Saorview or Andriod Tv Box.
    Kerrrrrching!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement