Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Here's how I see the top 8 teams and there finishing points.

Leinster 25
    Saracens 23
    Toulouse 22
    Cardiff 21
    Clermont 20
    Munster 20
    Edinburgh 21 (runner up)
    Quinns 20 (runner up)

Ulster unfortunately going out by dint of not getting the losing bonus point. Would love to see them get through but it's a big ask. The top 8 like that would see the following Q finals

Leinster v Quinns
    Sarries v Edinburgh
    Toulouse v Munster
    Cardiff v Clermont

As for who'd win those games, too early to tell, still 3 months off and a lot can happen in the meantime!

I don't see how anyone could write off Ulster (south of France or not) after watching them beat Munster, Edinburgh & Leicester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Here's how I see the top 8 teams and there finishing points.

Leinster 25
    Saracens 23
    Toulouse 22
    Cardiff 21
    Clermont 20
    Munster 20
    Edinburgh 21 (runner up)
    Quinns 20 (runner up)

Ulster unfortunately going out by dint of not getting the losing bonus point. Would love to see them get through but it's a big ask. The top 8 like that would see the following Q finals

Leinster v Quinns
    Sarries v Edinburgh
    Toulouse v Munster
    Cardiff v Clermont

As for who'd win those games, too early to tell, still 3 months off and a lot can happen in the meantime!

A couple of points;
    • If Edinburgh and Cardiff finish level on points, Edinburgh go top having scored more tries in the head to head (I think)
    • I really think Munster will get at least a LBP in Milton Keynes
    So I predict:
    Leinster 25
    Saracens 23
    Toulouse 22
    Edinburgh 21
    Munster 21
    Clermont 20
    Cardiff 21 (runner up)
    Quins 20 (runner up)

which means:
    Leinster v Quins
    Saracens v Cardiff
    Toulouse v Clermont
    Edinburgh v Munster

Going to Edinburgh would be the best away QF draw Munster could dream of, but it's very possible they could beat the Saints and get a home draw against Cardiff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

I don't see how anyone could write off Ulster (south of France or not) after watching them beat Munster, Edinburgh & Leicester.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion! Personally think Clermont will have too much for them. Will still be cheering Ulster on mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

A couple of points;
    • If Edinburgh and Cardiff finish level on points, Edinburgh go top having scored more tries in the head to head (I think)
    No, it goes on the head to head points between the two which Cardiff lead 5-4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

threads merged as this is being discussed at length in the general discussion thread already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

which means:
    Leinster v Quins
    Saracens v Cardiff
    Toulouse v Clermont
    Edinburgh v Munster

Here's a question, if Edinburgh, Clermont, Munster or even Ulster get through to the Semi Finals and are drawn with a home semi - what are their designated 'neutral home' stadia seeing as they cant be their group stage stadia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Ulster would presumably move to aviva. Edinburgh is a good question though! Hampden park?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Winters wrote: »
    Here's a question, if Edinburgh, Clermont, Munster or even Ulster get through to the Semi Finals and are drawn with a home semi - what are their designated 'neutral home' stadia seeing as they cant be their group stage stadia?

Munster and Ulster would play in Landsdowne. Fairly sure Edinburgh would still be able to play in Murrayfield. I think the "neutral home" stadia requirement was lifted but the ERC get the final say on venue. The minimum 20,000 capacity would be a bigger problem for Clermont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Munster and Ulster would play in Landsdowne. Fairly sure Edinburgh would still be able to play in Murrayfield. I think the "neutral home" stadia requirement was lifted but the ERC get the final say on venue. The minimum 20,000 capacity would be a bigger problem for Clermont.
    If not allowed in Murrayfield maybe Easter road the hibs stadium might be used

AFAIK, there is no longer a requirement that the stadium be "neutral".

I would imagine that Clermont and Ulster would have to travel to grounds with bigger capacity, but certainly Edinburgh would be able to use Murrayfield.

Since the ERC nominate the venue and take the gate receipts, I'm guessing any Munster 'home' SF would be in the Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭DeDoc

Clermont would play a semi in Lyon I'd imagine.
    I'm pretty sure the stadium DOES have to be neutral - Leinster are able to use Lansdowne because the RDS is their 'normal' home ground. Embra use Murrayfield as their normal home ground, so they'd have to nominate somewhere else. Hampden would be logical I suppose.

there could be some interesting fall-out from this years results in relation to the ERC rankings for next year.
    Leinster are guaranteed top spot and will increase their ranking to somewhere between 34 and 40.
    Munster will almost certainly drop points, but should stay in the top 6.
    Tigers will almost certainly drop out of the top 6; they'll be replaced by Saints
    with the exception of Clermont, Ulster and Quins, pretty much all the next 10 or so teams will drop some points. Ulster should end up as a tier 2 team - giving them an easier potential draw (well deserved IMO)
    Connacht (if they qualify) could well end up as a third seed
    My best guess would be that the qualifiers will be something like this:
    Tier 1: Leinster, Munster, Saints, Toulouse, Clermont, Cardiff
    Tier 2: Tigers, Quins, Saracens, Ulster, Stade Francais, Ospreys
    Tier 3: Gloucester, Toulon, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Connacht, Scarlets
    Tier 4: London Irish, Racing, Castres, Sale, Treviso, Aironi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

The rolling 5 year ranking means it takes a long time to get a ranking and a long time to lose it. Still a few French teams In the lower reaches.

Hard to see how Cardiff are there.

durkadurka wrote: »
    The rolling 5 year ranking means it takes a long time to get a ranking and a long time to lose it. Still a few French teams In the lower reaches.

Hard to see how Cardiff are there.

It is 4 years, not 5. And because of the way it works, the most important year is the one 4 seasons ago, as that is what 'drops out' and is replaced by the most recent season. So for example, Leinster will get between 5 and 11 points this year, but will lose 2. We are therefore guaranteed to rise in the rankings. Munster, in contrast will see their 07/08 win drop out of consideration so would need to win this years comp just to keep their ranking.

In fairness to Cardiff, they had a HEC quarter final in 07/08, a semi-final the year after, they won the Amlin the year after that, and last season they finished 2nd in their group but didn't progress. They're almost certain to top their group this year and probably get a home draw also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

durkadurka wrote: »
    Ulster would presumably move to aviva. Edinburgh is a good question though! Hampden park?

I would like them to be able to use Casement Park but the Ulster GAA aren't to keen afaik. Stormont are giving the GAA £60,000,000 to tart Casement up, the same to the IFA for Windsor Park but only £15,000,000 to Ravenhill. Considering far more bodies go through the turnstiles of Ravenhill than the others combined each year it's a bit of a kick in the nads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

For those of us who missed the non-featured matches this weekend here is extended highlights including all tries:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

The rules for a SF now just say "a stadium designated by the ERC" or something like that. I would be an Embra home SF would be in Murrayfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Tables (only showing teams technically capable of going through tries scored in the ())

Pool 1
    Munster 20 (9)
    Northampton 12 (15)
    Scarlets 11 (10)

Pool 2
    Edinburgh 17 (13)
    Cardiff 17 (6)

Pool 3
    Leinster 20 (15)
    Glasgow 11 (6)

Pool 4
    Ulster 19 (16)
    Clermont 16 (25)
    Leicester 12 (9)

Pool 5
    saracens 18 (11)
    Biarritz 13 (13)
    Ospreys 13 (12)

Pool 6
    Toulouse 18 (13)
    Harlequins 16 (10)

Have Clermont really scored 25 tries in five games? Guess they can thank the Italians. Wish Aironi rolled over as easily for Connacht as they did for Clermont...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

McSharry won't enjoy watching those highlights again. Think it was him that absolutely butchered a try at 2.14 in the video and very poor effort at tackle at 4.25 where he let a prop spin out of his grasp. He's a better player than that. The butchering was bad, would have made a real game of it if Connacht had gone over at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

GerM wrote: »
    McSharry won't enjoy watching those highlights again. Think it was him that absolutely butchered a try at 2.14 in the video and very poor effort at tackle at 4.25 where he let a prop spin out of his grasp. He's a better player than that. The butchering was bad, would have made a real game of it if Connacht had gone over at that point.

O Connor missed an easy kick for 3 after a few minutes as well

Should really have been ahead at half time. Have to make the most of those kind of chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Here's how I see the top 8 shaking up:
    1. Leinster 25
    2. Toulouse 22
    3. Saracens 22 (But I think they will be worked hard for this win)
    4. Clermont 21 (Lots of hype about Ulster's performance, but I reckon Clermont will crush them)
    5. Munster 21
    6. Cardiff 21 (possible upset here, Racing play better away from home in this tournament)
    7. Edinburgh 21
    8. Harlequins 20 (They'll come to just get the four points, can't see them doing anything more)

QFs:
    Leinster vs. Harlequins-Hard to see past a Leinster win
    Toulouse vs. Edinburgh-Demolition
    Saracens vs. Cardiff-This Saracens team is quality, don't see how Munster could beat them
    Clermont vs. Munster-Clermont win

• Registered Users Posts: 9 npr240

matthew8 wrote: »
    1. Leinster 25
    2. Toulouse 22
    4. Clermont 21 (Lots of hype about Ulster's performance, but I reckon Clermont will crush them)
    5. Edinburgh 21
    6. Munster 21
    7. Cardiff 21 (possible upset here, Racing play better away from home in this tournament)
    8. Harlequins 20 (They'll come to just get the four points, can't see them doing anything more)

QFs:
    Toulouse vs. Cardiff-Ditto for Toulouse
    Saracens vs. Munster-This Saracens team is quality, don't see how Munster could beat them
    Clermont vs. Edinburgh-Demolition.

If Cardiff and Edinburgh finish on the same points, Cardiff will win the pool due to better head to head v Edinburgh

npr240 wrote: »
    If Cardiff and Edinburgh finish on the same points, Cardiff will win the pool due to better head to head v Edinburgh

Yeah, I don't understand why Edinburgh are listed as being on top of the pool by everyone including ERC themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

matthew8 wrote: »
    1. Leinster 25
    2. Toulouse 22
    5. Munster 21
    6. Cardiff 21 (possible upset here, Racing play better away from home in this tournament)
    7. Edinburgh 21

QFs:
    Toulouse vs. Edinburgh-Demolition
    Saracens vs. Cardiff-This Saracens team is quality, don't see how Munster could beat them
    Clermont vs. Munster-Clermont win

If Ulster let Clermont beat them with a bonus point, I'll cry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The reason Clermont went out to absolutely destroy Treviso was for the final rankings table and try difference, effectively giving them an extra point (as whoever the are tied on points with they will have better try difference) and they will be acutely aware that a BP win over Ulster could very well give them a home quarter, unless Munster win in MK, so they'll be going for it big time.

Amazingly, with just one round left, I can't decide on my predictions. It's been a strange sort of season in the Heineken Cup. Just going to have to let it unfold and see what happens.

Ulster could win at Clermont, or lose conceeding 4 tries +, neither would surprise me at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If I was Ulster, I'd start a whole team of backs, lose by several hundred points, but score four tries in the process against a French team who would stop defending once they were 73 points ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Looks like the Ulster match has been bumped up as expected, from Sky Sports on Twitter.
    For those Irish fans asking about coverage of the @UlsterRugby game on the weekend, it will be on the main channel and NOT on the red button

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Is anybody else (Leinster fans) a little twitchy at the idea of playing Harlequins in the Quarter finals?

Is anybody else (Leinster fans) a little twitchy at the idea of playing Harlequins in the Quarter finals?

No. If we nail the home draw this weekend, I wouldn't be too worried about playing anyone in Lansdowne.

Quins are going to be one of the stronger teams in the bottom half of the draw, I'd rather get a strong team at home with a better chance of winning than have to play them at the semifinal stage with a 50-50 chance of it being in London (if that makes sense).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm confident that Leinster can beat any other team in the HEC in the Aviva. No matter who. The harder it is the better since that means that the harder teams won't be around for the semis or finals that could be away or in a neutral venue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Without sounding silly we have to play someone. I just want to avoid Toulouse though.

We have a very good record against a lot of teams in the mix for the quarters, it won't make the game easier just possibly make us sleep at night a bit better!

Clermont - we've beaten 2 out of the last three games we've played (home advantage is crucial in this game).
    Saracens - we beat home and away last season.
    Munster - well you know this yourself!
    Edinburgh - over the last few years we've eliminated their bogey team status.
    Cardiff - we've beaten them 5 out of the last 6 times we've played.
    Ulster - they haven't beaten us in a fair while.
    Quins - the away QF in 09 is the last time we played em.
    Toulouse - beat em last year, they beat us the year before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

When is the seni-final draw. I'm pretty sure its before the quarter final games, but does anyone have the date?

When is the seni-final draw. I'm pretty sure its before the quarter final games, but does anyone have the date?

Sunday night, when the QF line-up is finalised. At least, that's what happened last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Quins don't have a great scrum or lineout compared to Leinster. I'd back Leinster quite comfortably. Quins did a lot of winning during the RWC when they were minimally affected by England call-ups. They have done well and play good rugby but Connacht could have beaten them in the first game.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Quins don't have a great scrum or lineout compared to Leinster. I'd back Leinster quite comfortably. Quins did a lot of winning during the RWC when they were minimally affected by England call-ups. They have done well and play good rugby but Connacht could have beaten them in the first game.

^^^^This

Quite honestly, what Quins players do you think would make a full strength Leinster match day squad?
    Evans definitely. Kohn probably. Robshaw probably. Care, Maybe. Ditto for Turner-Hall and Monye. Maybe a few 'possibly' like Marler.

Sunday night, when the QF line-up is finalised. At least, that's what happened last year.

Today's Irish Times say 5.25 pm on Sunday, live on Sky and on ERC website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm confident that Leinster can beat any other team in the HEC in the Aviva. No matter who. The harder it is the better since that means that the harder teams won't be around for the semis or finals that could be away or in a neutral venue.

I'm always nervous about knock out games, no matter what, as anything can happen. Sometimes it's unbearable, but I agree that I'd rather take on the tougher teams in the quarters / semis at home if possible, rather than meet them in a neutral venue final or away even!

The thoughts of Tolouse or Munster in Lansdowne in the Heineken Cup puts knotts in my stomach, Tolouse because we need to play better than the quality almost any international team in the world can produce to beat them (arguably as good as, some may even say better, than the French national team, in terms of their quality of performance), and Munster because they raise their game x 100 against us and the thoughts of losing to them in the Heineken is not worth thinking about.

Funnily enough, I'm more nervous about the semi final draw than I am of the game vs Montpellier.

I'd give anything for a home semi. Please God let us get a home semi to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

DeDoc wrote: »
    ^^^^This

Quite honestly, what Quins players do you think would make a full strength Leinster match day squad?
    Evans definitely. Kohn probably. Robshaw probably. Care, Maybe. Ditto for Turner-Hall and Monye. Maybe a few 'possibly' like Marler.

In what position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Tox56 wrote: »
    In what position?

He said in the squad. Evans would be back-up to Sexton. I don't think he's good enough in any other position to start him.

I also don't think Monye would get in a Leinster squad. Care, on the other hand, is more talented than either Boss or Reddan. But he's more than slightly dodgy.

Tox56 wrote: »
    In what position?

Evans as back up number 10. I'm not convinced I'd have any of their side in my starting 15. Kohn would probably be the closest, and Robshaw wouldn't be miles away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

DeDoc wrote: »
    Evans as back up number 10. I'm not convinced I'd have any of their side in my starting 15. Kohn would probably be the closest, and Robshaw wouldn't be miles away.

Oh ok, I thought you meant 15.

Yeah I don't think there would be a single player I would take in the 15, with the exception of maybe Robshaw, but with the depth of our backrow we could live without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

A bit late I know but despite not being able to see the game, delighted of the Montpellier victory over Bath last Saturday :).

Unbeaten at home & we managed to take points on every game we played. For a first ever appearance in the competition I am very pleased with that record. Only problem is to achieve our "very humble Grand Slam" of taking points in the 6 group phase games we need to come back from Dublin with something ... and I just can't see that happening. The best I can imagine is Leinster being far far ahead and playing it smooth in the last 15 min so that we could take advantage of it to score tries to reach the famous 4 try BP... Well... we'll see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

For large parts of the match against Gloucester, Quins didn't impress. I had a sneaky feeling that Robshaw would be the next captain of England but on the evidence of the weekends match, it won't be him; he turned down a sure 3 points from 5m when 1 behind and opted for another scrum (Easter even ran back to halfway line expecting to receive the restart!). Quins eventually took the lead with a fortunate try in the end but it didn't come from the 5m scrums despite having a man advantage and Tindall going to 8.

Another thing is how weak they looked in the lineouts, they had no answer to Jim Hamilton and couldn't compete with him all game, Robson's enforced absence in the set pieces and the loose was noticeable. They didn't utilise a lot of players from the bench in this match and I wonder what the squad depth is like. Without Marler in the side, they've only a couple of quality ball carriers who can be targeted and stopped behind the gain line but with him they've a weak scrum. Finally, Evans missed a couple of penalties a player of his quality shouldn't miss. Hopper, Turner-Hall, Brown and Care did look dangerous throughout. Hopper in particular looked dangerous whenever he got the ball.

You could say that like many a great side they won despite playing poorly but I think they've lost some of their pre-Christmas confidence and teams have learned to deal with them. A more physical or experienced side would be favourites even away from home. The option not to take the certain kick by Robshaw just perhaps showed that they aren't quite streetwise and pragmatic enough to thrive in knock out rugby. As a Leinster fan, I'd respect them but not fear them as a side unlike Toulouse or Clermont.

No fear of Toulouse sending a weakened team anyway, I think Ulster will have to look elsewhere for the miracle they need to qualify.

2.gif15. Jonny May, 14. Charlie Sharples, 13. Mike Tindall, 12. Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu, 11. James Simpson-Daniel, 10. Freddie Burns, 9. Rory Lawson, 1. Nick Wood, 2. Scott Lawson, 3. Rupert Harden, 4. Jim Hamilton, 5. Alex Brown, 6. Alasdair Strokosch, 7. Akapusi Qera, 8. Luke Narraway,
    16. Darren Dawiduik, 17. Dan Murphy, 18. Shaun Knight, 19. Will James, 20. Matt Cox, 21. Dave Lewis, 22. Ryan Mills, 23. Henry Trinder

86.gif15. Maxime Medard, 14. Timoci Matanavou, 13. Yannick Jauzion, 12. Clément Poitrenaud, 11. Yves Donguy, 10. Lionel Beauxis, 9. Luke Burgess, 1. Gurthro Steenkamp, 2. William Servat, 3. Census Johnston, 4. Yoann Maestri, 5. Patricio Albacete, 6. Yannick Nyanga, 7. Thierry Dusautoir (capt), 8. Louis Picamoles ,
    16. Christopher Tolofua, 17. Daan Human, 18. Jean-Baptiste Poux, 19. Grégory Lamboley, 20. Jean-Marc Doussain, 21. Jean Bouilhou, 22. Vincent Clerc, 23. Shaun Sowerby,

This has the potential to be a cracking game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Gloucester are a tough nut to crack but I can't see then losing.

I think Ulster eyes should be directed towards Galway tomorrow night. Cmon Connacht!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

yimrsg wrote: »
    For large parts of the match against Gloucester, Quins didn't impress. I had a sneaky feeling that Robshaw would be the next captain of England but on the evidence of the weekends match, it won't be him; he turned down a sure 3 points from 5m when 1 behind and opted for another scrum (Easter even ran back to halfway line expecting to receive the restart!). Quins eventually took the lead with a fortunate try in the end but it didn't come from the 5m scrums despite having a man advantage and Tindall going to 8.

Another thing is how weak they looked in the lineouts, they had no answer to Jim Hamilton and couldn't compete with him all game, Robson's enforced absence in the set pieces and the loose was noticeable. They didn't utilise a lot of players from the bench in this match and I wonder what the squad depth is like. Without Marler in the side, they've only a couple of quality ball carriers who can be targeted and stopped behind the gain line but with him they've a weak scrum. Finally, Evans missed a couple of penalties a player of his quality shouldn't miss. Hopper, Turner-Hall, Brown and Care did look dangerous throughout. Hopper in particular looked dangerous whenever he got the ball.

You could say that like many a great side they won despite playing poorly but I think they've lost some of their pre-Christmas confidence and teams have learned to deal with them. A more physical or experienced side would be favourites even away from home. The option not to take the certain kick by Robshaw just perhaps showed that they aren't quite streetwise and pragmatic enough to thrive in knock out rugby. As a Leinster fan, I'd respect them but not fear them as a side unlike Toulouse or Clermont.

+1.

I thought Gloucester were a bit unlucky against Quins (one horrible bounce of the ball in particular!). I don't know if Quins are just tiring at this stage. They don't have huge strength in depth and competing at the level they have been this season across both competitions seems to be taking it out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Toulouse had worrying start to their Heineken Cup trip to England when the emergency door on their low-cost flight came loose, their players said.

The French side were on their way to Gloucester at around midday on Thursday when players and staff became increasingly nervous about their Danube Wing Airlines craft.

"Leaving for Gloucester on a Slovakian company's plane, not very reassuring. Wish me luck," back-row forward Yannick Nyanga tweeted.

Some minutes later, the flanker added: "The emergency door opens with just a single touch."

France international winger Vincent Clerc added his own version of events on the plane.

"We are losing the door of the plane...I think we'll have to change the company," he said.

They eventually left France around four hours later on an Airbus supplied by their sponsor.

They're rattled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Toulouse 17-7 up at Gloucester.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

17-14 at HT. Nip and tuck..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

14-17 at half time.

Advertisement