Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B*yl*sports not honouring Euro Golden Boot bets?

Options
  • 02-07-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Went to cash a bet just shy of 4 figures this morning in BS (Torres Golden Boot + Spain to win @ pre-tournament odds of 25/1) only to be told it would be settled on 1/6th of original odds - as Torres finished level on goals scored with other players...

Anyone experienced anything like this before?

'Took the guy 20 minutes on the phone to head office to sort it out only to come back with that...

Bad form.

BS by name. BS by nature.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

wynters wrote: »
    Went to cash a bet just shy of 4 figures this morning in BS (Torres Golden Boot + Spain to win @ pre-tournament odds of 25/1) only to be told it would be settled on 1/6th of original odds - as Torres finished level on goals scored with other players...

'Took the guy 20 minutes on the phone to head office to sort it out only to come back with that...

Bad form.

Most bookies are doing this, the 1/6th of odds.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What exactly does it say on your docket - "golden boot" or "top scorer" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

gavredking wrote: »
    wynters wrote: »

Bad form.

Every bookie is doing this, the 1/6th of odds.

Its 1/6th of the stake not the odds!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

They paid you the right amount! It was a 6 way tie on top scorer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

To think one instant of good sportmanship on his last chance on goal cost the guts of 800 (I assume) must be sick tbh!

Gavred- every bookie? Without checking, tbh Paddy Power are normaly (I guess being so rich anyway and can afford it) the types tofully pay out or part refund in this type of scenario. With so many results going completely against the expected (Holland early exit, Portugal and Ronaldo doing well, the amount of long odd bets people would have bet on Ireland out of hope) the Irish bookies must have made an utter killing on this tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Torres won the golden boot but was only joint top scorer. Hard luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the golden boot is a specfic prize
    (http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2012/golden-boot/award/index.html)
    and is different than "top scorer" and is awarded when multiple player have the same nr of goals to he who has a) highest number of assists b) fewest minutes played.

If you have written confirmation that it was "golden boot" then you should take boyle sports to the small claims court and the judge will laugh at them and award you your winnings I would think.

Rekop dog wrote: »

I jsut said 1/6th odds as the OP said he got 1/6th of the odds, I was assuming it would be of the stake and not the odds, cheers for the heads up. :o

To think one instant of good sportmanship on his last chance on goal cost the guts of 800 (I assume) must be sick tbh!

Gavred- every bookie? Without checking, tbh Paddy Power are normaly (I guess being so rich anyway and can afford it) the types tofully pay out or part refund in this type of scenario.

I've a buddy who went to ladbrokes and found himself in a similar situation as the OP, had Torres as outright top scorer and the paid out 1/6th.

Seen another guy on FB, not really a good friend though, mention PP giving the same 1/6th on his top scorer bet, but he had Gomez so hes not to pushed.

Maybe all was a sweeping statement, I'll change it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

Rekop dog wrote: »

Is it not the same thing ???

• Advertisement

Gavred- every bookie? Without checking, tbh Paddy Power are normaly (I guess being so rich anyway and can afford it) the types tofully pay out or part refund in this type of scenario. With so many results going completely against the expected (Holland early exit, Portugal and Ronaldo doing well, the amount of long odd bets people would have bet on Ireland out of hope) the Irish bookies must have made an utter killing on this tournament.

They only paid me 1/4 of my stake for David Villa in the World Cup and I am pretty sure I'll only get 1/6 of my Gomez stake whenever I can be arsed to collect my pittance!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've seen this said so many times but Buffon had the angle well closed down and the pass was the obvious percentage play there. Nothing unselfish about it and youse should be glad he did pass or youse would have won zilch.

doney84 wrote: »
    Is it not the same thing ???

Nope, think about having a €6 on at 12/1

1/6 of your stake means €1 on at 12/1 which means a return of €13 (€12 win plus €1 stake returned)

1/6 of odds would mean it's €6 on at 2/1 which means a return of €18 (€12 win plus €6 stake returned)

Moved to Gambling -> Football Betting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

So do people expect the bookies to pay out on all 6 players at full stakes who finished top scorer?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

Torres did win the Golden Boot award

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2012/golden-boot/winner/index.html

wasn't that the bet???

"Torres Golden Boot + Spain to win @ pre-tournament odds of 25/1"

amiable wrote: »
    So do people expect the bookies to pay out on all 6 players who finished top scorer?

They will do, it's a dead heat and there are rules for this!

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2012/golden-boot/winner/index.html[/QUOTE]

Not sure the bookies had a market on the Golden Boot winner, just the top goalscorer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I've seen this said so many times but Buffon had the angle well closed down and the pass was the obvious percentage play there. Nothing unselfish about it and youse should be glad he did pass or youse would have won zilch.

He still would have been on the same goals whether he passed or not. So they still would have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

Correct

Top Goalscorer - Dead Heat rules apply

Golden Boot - 1 winner

kfallon wrote: »
    They will do, it's a dead heat and there are rules for this!

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2012/golden-boot/winner/index.html[/QUOTE]

Not sure the bookies had a market on the Golden Boot winner, just the top goalscorer!
    Apologies. I should have posted do people expect bookies to pay out on fulll stakes on all 6 top scorers. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

kfallon wrote: »
    They paid you the right amount! It was a 6 way tie on top scorer!
    recyclebin wrote: »
    Torres won the golden boot but was only joint top scorer. Hard luck!
    the golden boot is a specfic prize
    (http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2012/golden-boot/award/index.html)
    and is different than "top scorer" and is awarded when multiple player have the same nr of goals to he who has a) highest number of assists b) fewest minutes played.

If you have written confirmation that it was "golden boot" then you should take boyle sports to the small claims court and the judge will laugh at them and award you your winnings I would think.

specific prize awarded to the top scorer, there's no differences in these two terms in that competition.
    golden boot = top scorer & top scorer = golden boot

it's bullshít from bookies in a competition like this where there is rules in place to decide who's top scorer, therefore winning the golden boot.
    unlike the PL where it shared between players if they're level

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it's bullshít from bookies in a competition like this where there is rules in place to decide who's top scorer, therefore winning the golden boot.

But bookies don't take bets on the Golden Boot competition.
    They do their own Top Scorer market with standard rules.

specific prize awarded to the top scorer, there's no differences in these two terms in that competition.
    golden boot = top scorer & top scorer = golden boot

Once they're paying out on all 6 I don't see an issue.

But bookies don't take bets on the Golden Boot competition.
    They do their own Top Scorer market with standard rules.

but the golden boot winner is the top scorer you can't obtain that award any other way than being the top scorer(official) at that tournament

their own standard rules or do you mean like the PL do and share it?

say if it's their own could bookies just say if there's a tie were not paying out on any of them? can they put whatever they want in them rules?
    Once they're paying out on all 6 I don't see an issue.

what if you've backed torres & get paid on 1/6 of your stake

that guy in the OP said he though he was going to get near a 4 figure sum because he backed it @ 25/1
    so for arguments sake we'll say he put on €40 - return €1040
    now return is something like €173.33 - if i've done that right, dunno how they'll do the odds on these bets, still divide by 6?

Bookies can make up their rules as long as the rules are in place before the bet is placed.
    If the bookies rule is specifically top scorer then that's up to the bookie.
    The bookies aren't getting away with anything though as some seem to think as they will still be paying out on 6 players.
    The liability might not be exactly the same but I don't think they set out to catch people on it.
    I personally don't think goalscorer markets are good markets to bet on normally.(some exceptions)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Here's the long and short of it...

If the bet was on the Torres "Golden Boot" and Spain to win, it should be paid at full stake, at the odds quoted. I doubt it was, but I stand to be corrected on that. If the bet was on Torres "Top Scorer" and Spain to win, it should be paid at 1/6th of the stake, at full odds.

There's no other way around it really, all the bookies have this well covered and it's fairly common practice. If there had been 50 players tied on 2 goals, you'd hardly expect them to pay out on all of them, so why would they on 6 players?

I'd just really expect them to pay out full on Torres as he is the top scorer i couldn't care about the other 5 & don't think they should pay on them.

wonder are they all doing the 1/6

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

but the golden boot winner is the top scorer you can't obtain that award any other way than being the top scorer(official) at that tournament
    Incorrect. The Golden Boot is decided by the person who has scored the most goals, followed by the most assists, followed by the least minutes on the pitch.

It's the difference between betting on who won the Premiership and who got the most points. If you bet on the premiership winners, the bookie pays out on Manchester City. If you bet on the most points, it's split between City and United.

Top scorer does not equal Golden Boot winner

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

their own standard rules or do you mean like the PL do and share it?

say if it's their own could bookies just say if there's a tie were not paying out on any of them? can they put whatever they want in them rules?

what if you've backed torres & get paid on 1/6 of your stake

that guy in the OP said he though he was going to get near a 4 figure sum because he backed it @ 25/1
    so for arguments sake we'll say he put on €40 - return €1040
    now return is something like €173.33 - if i've done that right, dunno how they'll do the odds on these bets, still divide by 6?

'Standard rules' means how they'd do it in any top goal scorer (or try scorer or touchdown scorer etc) competition. With only actual scores counting and no fancy tie break splitters. (Which is coincidentally how the EPL does it). And dead heat rules applying for any ties.

Your maths example is correct by the way.
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Here's the long and short of it...

If the bet was on the Torres "Golden Boot" and Spain to win, it should be paid at full stake, at the odds quoted. I doubt it was, but I stand to be corrected on that. If the bet was on Torres "Top Scorer" and Spain to win, it should be paid at 1/6th of the stake, at full odds.

This may not be true - even if the OP wrote Golden Boot, its very likely the bookie had a rule that all such bets went on the Top Scorer market (the bookies one, not UEFAs)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'd just really expect them to pay out full on Torres as he is the top scorer i couldn't care about the other 5 & don't think they should pay on them.

wonder are they all doing the 1/6

All the main ones. Some indep bookies might pay out in full but not if they've taken much money on the players involved in the tie.

Advertisement