Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new cafe beside the dart station ?

Options
  • 24-08-2013 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm just looking for some some information, like, whats it called ? , when it's open ? who is the owner ? and any other information on it would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,820 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's called Gray's Cafe
    According to local media in April Caroline Gray is the owner

No idea when it opens

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Café Gray

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Daniel.otoole

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Café Gray

Do you know when it opens ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

They will have to be very good to survive.
    There is no shortage of coffee shops or places that you can sit down and have a coffee in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

2011 wrote: »
    They will have to be very good to survive.
    There is no shortage of coffee shops or places that you can sit down and have a coffee in Greystones.

Another coffee/cafe. Bl**dy heck. Given the number of shops in the village could we be looking at some kind of record for % that are eateries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

FirstIn wrote: »
    Another coffee/cafe. Bl**dy heck. Given the number of shops in the village could we be looking at some kind of record for % that are eateries.

That makes 8 in or around Church road by my reckoning (including Costa in the Meridian). If i were a business manager in the bank, one of the first questions would be whats your competition like? I would then wrap up the conversation and ask them to think again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The one in Charlesland is re opening shortly

trad wrote: »
    The one in Charlesland is re opening shortly

They said that before and it never happened.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I'd love to have one in charlesland again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

FirstIn wrote: »

I think this is a positive development for Greystones. We will soon become the Cafe capital of the country. It will promote tourism, good food and competition. In my opinion, this is much better than Pound/Euro shops on our main street.
    Looking around the country most towns are suffering badly with retail business closures so we should be encouraged by openings in our town.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I was talking to some one from the Centre management company. Just waiting for the BER and the paperwork is finalized. Should be open soon according to my info.

trad wrote: »
    I was talking to some one from the Centre management company. Just waiting for the BER and the paperwork is finalized. Should be open soon according to my info.

Fair enough. I won't be shocked if it doesn't happen though.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

A coffee shop beside our new Supervalu in Charlesland would be a nice focal point. Now, coming up to 10 years built and still nobody has taken a lease on The Tumbleweed.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

astrofluff wrote: »
    A coffee shop beside our new Supervalu in Charlesland would be a nice focal point. Now, coming up to 10 years built and still nobody has taken a lease on The Tumbleweed.

We're still waiting for you to add "Landlord" to your CV ;)

You know you want to! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

JanneG wrote: »
    We're still waiting for you to add "Landlord" to your CV ;)

You know you want to! :p

Actually... Forget the whole "Charlesland off the grid" lark... let's get together and open a community pub eh? I'm sure there's enough carpenters, electricians and plumbers etc in Charlesland to get the inside done up nicely.
    I'm sure there's all sorts of people with other connections to make it viable... :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Most people are in business for profit, not to make a loss. The Tumbleweed is never going to be viable when the rent is too high.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cerco wrote: »
    I think this is a positive development for Greystones. We will soon become the Cafe capital of the country.

Assuming that there is enough business for all of these coffee shops to stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

2011 wrote: »
    Assuming that there is enough business for all of these coffee shops to stay open.

Which there would appear to be.

The number of non-gstones people milling around the village over the last number of years has definitely increased and as the village becomes more renowned for the cafes and eateries, it can only be good for all local business.

Look forward to trying the coffee next weekend, if they have opened

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I'm predicting it's not a coffee shop, but rather a cafe with a focus on the food. More Summervilles or A Caviston than Insomnia or Costa Coffee.

luapenak wrote: »
    Which there would appear to be.

Hopefully you are correct, but there is a limit to the number of successful coffee shops that Greystones can have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I was thinking a coffee dock in the station might work but is this going into the bookies? Jaysus another cafe! It's the oddest little town with the abundance of cafes, barbers and florists and disproportionate number of supermarkets.

Off topic but I noticed the barber's Champs has gone.

Actually thinking this through , as Cerco pointed out, it is a good thing.

Much much worse to have cash for gold, pound shops or empty shops on the Main Street. (You don't have to go too far to see what a shambles a Main Street can become)

I just can't help thinking though that come the rainy season and folk are confined to drinking their hot beverages indoors (i.e not seen by the passersby) that it will be tough for all of these places to survive as numbers dwindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

I'm predicting it's not a coffee shop, but rather a cafe with a focus on the food. More Summervilles or A Caviston than Insomnia or Costa Coffee.

They are not putting in the equipment needed for a restaurant .Think it will be a coffee shop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Latest info on Café Gray
    John I meant to mention that we are hoping to do something special and real in Cafe Gray . All of team are very enthusiastic and committed to excellent customer service . And I don't mean the plastic corporate manual ' have a nice day ' type . We will be baking our own cakes on premises and no chilled stuff coming on hugh trucks from god knows where .gourmet sandwiches will also be made in cafe and we hope to serve nice organic wine . Our coffee is from a really wonderful artisan roaster based in Wicklow . We will also sell a limited retail range of great products all from local Wicklow producers . The design of the cafe is by a very talented Irish lady Grainne Weber who has done great projects in London and else where so we hope people like it . We will do our very best to make this work and we are hoping it will be viable and we are working long hours to try and achieve this . We are hoping it is the type of coffee shop we would like to go to ourselves . Take care and thanks again for your interest . Caroline Gray ( owner Cafe Gray)
    Opening within the next 2 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 myoreflex

Think it sounds fantastic- also having more eateries and coffee shops ultimately brings more visitors to the town- also really looking forward to seeing Grainnes work- she's a great talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

Such a waste seeing the pub/restaurant at front that nobody has taken up. Pity but a pub needs a lunchtime trade a lot of the time to survive. Pubs in city centre and near offices do well in this regard as people go in on lunch break for carvery etc but the location for a pub is still isolated. Granted it would do good business at a weekend, would be great being able to go for a few only a 5 minute walk away but I hear the rent price is sky high.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Great to see, and I wish them the very best.
    As an avid eater ( food lover to be precise) I have been disappointed in Greystones eateries over the last little while.

I would love to see them open early and closed a little later in the evening, just from a selfish point of view .. I love to walk after work and would enjoy nothing more than a local coffee to sip while pondering the world:rolleyes: but Greystones closes at 6pm.

Anyway, great to see a new business in these times, and agreed on what the shop "could" have been

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Have you seen the marketing posters in the windows? Looks great but they are definitely going after the Avoca/Romany Stone type crowd. From the looks of it I forecast it will do well.

Not my cup of tea (excuse the pun) but all the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

An over priced coffee shop.... Hmmm just what we need...

• Advertisement

An over priced coffee shop.... Hmmm just what we need...

That's what I thought I initially. However what would you rather see?

Advertisement