Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've just watched 3 episodes of True Blood back to back and if I now try to picture Lance Armstrong all that comes to mind is the face of Bill Compton. There are a number of similarities, not least of which is a mutual unhealthy interest in blood. And a bit of a god complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

doozerie wrote: »
    I've just watched 3 episodes of True Blood back to back and if I now try to picture Lance Armstrong all that comes to mind is the face of Bill Compton. There are a number of similarities, not least of which is a mutual unhealthy interest in blood. And a bit of a god complex.

Is it good? I'm trying to find a new addiction to replace Breaking Bad. I've also been recommended Sons of Anarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Is it good? I'm trying to find a new addiction to replace Breaking Bad. I've also been recommended Sons of Anarchy.

Definitely watch Dexter.

Zyzz wrote: »
    Definitely watch Dexter.

Seen it! Watched it til it got a bit dull. Heard about the finale and glad I gave it up!

Seen it! Watched it til it got a bit dull. Heard about the finale and glad I gave it up!

Yeh up to season 4 was insane..then dropped :(

Have you seen The Mentalist?

Yeh up to season 4 was insane..then dropped :(

Have you seen The Mentalist?

No! That's another on the list. Might take a break from crime/police series and start something like House of Cards. I've pretty much just watched The Wire, The Sopranos, Dexter, The Shield, Oz, and Breaking Bad all in a row :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I liked it, mostly, but Season 6 I found to be a bit of a dog's dinner (though with some good stuff along the way too). I can't imagine it'd be to everyone's taste though, Season 6 had some scenes which shocked me a bit, which is an achievement in a program based around people who like to drink blood and lots of it. Mind you, I watched all of Season 6 across one week, so maybe I just overdosed.

...dog's dinner, taste, overdosed, all of those phrases throw up disturbing images following this week's TV viewing!

In short it is full of gore, violence, sex, humour, and of course, Lance Armstrong. Not necessarily in that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I really should go to bed.... I've been playing GTA V for the last 4 hours!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Definitely watch Dexter.

The most hit and miss show in history, when it's good it is the best but when it's bad you question why you ever watch television IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

CramCycle wrote: »
    The most hit and miss show in history, when it's good it is the best but when it's bad you question why you ever watch television IMO

I stopped watching at the Season 4 finale. It was a massive downer but it was a perfect end of arc for the protagonist and I didn't really want to follow his life after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Following on from the above discussion on boxed sets, I find it very difficult to ever get beyond season 4.
    Any of the programmes that I have watched have always seen me burn out and lose interest after a while.
    The final episode ofnthe Sopranos redeemed itself but the final series was boring. Ditto with the Wire.
    I used to live MadMen but just can't be interested any longer.

Hopefully they kill off everyone in LoveHate series 4.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Following on from the above discussion on boxed sets, I find it very difficult to ever get beyond season 4.
    Any of the programmes that I have watched have always seen me burn out and lose interest after a while.
    The final episode ofnthe Sopranos redeemed itself but the final series was boring. Ditto with the Wire.
    I used to live MadMen but just can't be interested any longer.

Hopefully they kill off everyone in LoveHate series 4.

I think looking back at The Wire makes it seem better than it really was. Season 2 and 5 were really not all that good IMO. A lot more inconsistent than Breaking Bad was. I guess that's a result of them so radically changing the focus of the show in each series. Season 4 of The Wire definitely the best I think.

From YLYL

attachment.php?attachmentid=50916&d=1327695696

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I think looking back at The Wire makes it seem better than it really was. Season 2 and 5 were really not all that good IMO. A lot more inconsistent than Breaking Bad was. I guess that's a result of them so radically changing the focus of the show in each series. Season 4 of The Wire definitely the best I think.

I've only watched season one of the Wire, but I think Rok On is on to something with diminishing returns after a number of seasons. Dexter and 24 both peaked at 4. Breaking Bad couldn't have gone on any longer and was all the better for it.

Deadwood also, a brilliant show that lasted only 3 seasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Not sure if want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Whats the story with the stars under our username and why does our new overlord have none and I have loads?

I know the obvious answer is that I am much better then him (ban impending....) but is there another answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bcmf wrote: »
    Whats the story with the stars under our username and why does our new overlord have none and I have loads?

I know the obvious answer is that I am much better then him (ban impending....) but is there another answer?

New overlord has 4, they're just white. Something to do with post count I think.

Ah right. I see the white stars now.
    (I am still better then him though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

This post is #9870 but in the thread overview it says 9,990 posts.

Why's that?

• Advertisement

An alternate universe or a tiny tear in the space time continue-um.

el tel wrote: »
    This post is #9870 but in the thread overview it says 9,990 posts.

Why's that?

Posts that have been merged/deleted are still counted in the overview count me thinkses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Posts that have been merged/deleted are still counted in the overview count me thinkses.
    I doubt that as loads of posts here are moved to either a new thread or an existing thread which the poster may not have realised was there. It wouldn't account for 30 posts of a difference in a thread of almost 10,000.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,496 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just over 30 posts deleted, so I'm guessing the rest are posts that were originally posted here but have been moved elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Is a colnago aluminium frame and carbon forks worth a punt for 200€ ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

CptMackey wrote: »

God yes

• Advertisement

CptMackey wrote: »

If you don't take it, pass the info on to me and I will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

From YLYL

attachment.php?attachmentid=50916&d=1327695696

576px-SheldonBrown.jpeg

New overlord has 4, they're just white. Something to do with post count I think.

Some of them depend on post count, but they change then when you get mod or admin status. Would look it up now but on mobile, it's out there somewhere though.

End of an era guys, who wants the ten thousandth post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

If you don't take it, pass the info on to me and I will!

Think I'll take it so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Can some techno geek or anyone please tell me or copy link to how to put a photo from I phone onto boards thread. Do you have to use PC? I have photobucket account and can do this on pc no problem.

• Advertisement

detones wrote: »
    Can some techno geek or anyone please tell me or copy link to how to put a photo from I phone onto boards thread. Do you have to use PC? I have photobucket account and can do this on pc no problem.

Download the photobucket app, upload the photo to your photobucket account. Then click the 'i' button under the photo in the app, and just click on the IMG link. It'll copy that to your clipboard, then you just simply press paste in your post.

Don't know if I should have given him the answer considering the fact he used the phrase "techno geek" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Download the photobucket app, upload the photo to your photobucket account. Then click the 'i' button under the photo in the app, and just click on the IMG link. It'll copy that to your clipboard, then you just simply press paste in your post.

Don't know if I should have given him the answer considering the fact he used the phrase "techno geek" :pac:

Thanks. Will give that a go. Looks easy enough. Sorry about the techno geek .........would you prefer computer nerd ;-)

Techno computer nerd geek sounds better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

bcmf wrote: »
    Techno computer nerd geek sounds better

I think "whizz kid" is the usual description.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I think "whizz kid" is the usual description.

W*nker is one I've heard too.....

...have a read of this.
    I am starting to become seriously impressed by it.
    Big marked improvements in the way the engine is behaving.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057033210

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

NRA approved cycle

BV14by6IAAA_TyC.jpg:large

The awkward moment when you get more happy birthdays from websites you signed up to than your actual mates.. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The awkward moment when you get more happy birthdays from websites you signed up to than your actual mates.. :pac:
    It's even worse when some of your mates say happy birthday on the 1st of January because a website told them that was your birthday, not the same day every year that they attended your house for birthday parties throughout your childhood.

CramCycle wrote: »
    It's even worse when some of your mates say happy birthday on the 1st of January because a website told them that was your birthday, not the same day every year that they attended your house for birthday parties throughout your childhood.

The exact same people that looked forward to your bday party months in advance.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

This question probably doesn't warrant its own thread, so I'll throw it in here. Dont know what the boards protocol is.
    Got talking to a German tourist last week. He said he has seen a huge number of cyclists in Ireland on his travels. Not people cruising along on hybrids, but guys/groups bent down on road bikes and going for it. Reckons there's way more cyclists here than in Germany, from what he has seen. He asked me how many professionals or top-level amateurs are Irish, and how this number compares per capita to other European countries. I said I hadn't a clue.
    Does anybody have any idea? You'd think that, with the sh1te weather, dark winter days and crappy roads, the number per capita would be low here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If I want to upgrade to an 11 speed cassette but my wheels only accommodate 8/9/10..is all lost? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

If I want to upgrade to an 11 speed cassette but my wheels only accommodate 8/9/10..is all lost? :pac:

Not at all. Just buy a new bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

If you want to upgrade to 11 speed at least do the most sensible thing and get Campag.

Not at all. Just buy a new bike!

funny gif would have been inserted here but Beasty has banned me from using them so this will have to do.gif

:pac:
    AstraMonti wrote: »
    If you want to upgrade to 11 speed at least do the most sensible thing and get Campag.

Ive been given a decent offer for Di2, but my wheels wont work with 11 speed then thats a bit of a kick in the testicles..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

The older Di2 is 10sp, are you being offered the brand new one?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    The older Di2 is 10sp, are you being offered the brand new one?

Just for the derailleurs, as the rest of the ultegra works with it (shifters, cables etc) If I do upgrade Ill have to get a new cassette, chain and possibly a new crank as the one I currently have is a bit shoddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Just for the derailleurs, as the rest of the ultegra works with it (shifters, cables etc) If I do upgrade Ill have to get a new cassette, chain and possibly a new crank as the one I currently have is a bit shoddy!

Just the rear mech actually. AFAIK, the 10-speed 6770 front mech works fine with an 11-speed rear setup.

TBH, there should be no reason why the 10-speed rear mech wouldn't work with 11-speed as it should be just a software issue.

• Advertisement

Just the rear mech actually. AFAIK, the 10-speed 6770 front mech works fine with an 11-speed rear setup.

TBH, there should be no reason why the 10-speed rear mech wouldn't work with 11-speed as it should be just a software issue.

I had thought that aswel, but I saw a few posts on other forums saying one just needed to upgrade the RD and FD and it'll run grand!

The ultegra RD wont do 11 speed as the springs (I think) dont reach that far, its strictly 10 speed

As for the 10 speed cassette with 9070, again many people were saying no it wouldnt work..but..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement