Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZyXEL NSA310 1-Bay NAS Media Server (With 500GB HDD) - €90.37 delivered [Dabs.ie]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

cgc5483 wrote: »
    The USB slot allows you to connect a drive and copy directly from USB to NAS and vice versa

It's much faster if you ssh/telnet into it and copy from there than the clicky interface

(this might be fixed in the newer ones )

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

Just placed an order for the 320s. But have now noticed that original 320 was 1.2ghz/512 mb versus 320s with 1.0 ghz/256mb.

Should I be cancelling order and be looking to pick up 320?

Also, how do these compare to the Seagate Central deal on here today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I've got NSA310S recently and after long battle I finally managed to run PLEX server on in. I found only mp4 videos working (native Plex format) all other stuff gets some compatibility error (trancoding not working?).

I am checking power consumption for this NAS and so far it shows 8W in idle and 10-11W during heavy disk operation. For some reason I cant push any increase from CPU operation and that is what makes me wonder - very low CPU usage level on NSA310S. Even if I play 720P videos it never goes above 6% (actually it plays 4233kbps bitrate video but not 4600kbps). Is it normal CPU usage level? As I said - I cant play anything "heavier" to push CPU usage any higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

walshy123 wrote: »
    Just placed an order for the 320s. But have now noticed that original 320 was 1.2ghz/512 mb versus 320s with 1.0 ghz/256mb.

Should I be cancelling order and be looking to pick up 320?

Also, how do these compare to the Seagate Central deal on here today?

Which did you buy in the end? I'm looking at the 325 but working out good bit more expensive. What to do, what to do...
    Do I really need raid ability? As I could just backup to an external USB drive every few weeks..

If I don't really need 2 drives, what's best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Ive a feeling my 310 might be on the way out. It takes forever to load the login and any page when logged in via web browser & adding downloads takes an age waiting for it to refresh. Duno if it was the latest firmware but I must've restarted it bout 10 times in the last two weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Ive a feeling my 310 might be on the way out. It takes forever to load the login and any page when logged in via web browser & adding downloads takes an age waiting for it to refresh. Duno if it was the latest firmware but I must've restarted it bout 10 times in the last two weeks

Isn't it drive related?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Right, so I updated the firmware, and now my nsa310 is not visible as a dlna server. Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

TheChevron wrote: »
    Right, so I updated the firmware, and now my nsa310 is not visible as a dlna server. Anyone have any ideas?

Ste- wrote: »
    I have logged in. Im still using the NAs. Downloading torrents etc. It's just It's not showing up.

What settings am I looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I have logged in. Im still using the NAs. Downloading torrents etc. It's just It's not showing up.

What settings am I looking for?

I would guess Media Server

Try connect to port 9001 on the NAS and see if it brings up Twonky

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I would guess Media Server

Try connect to port 9001 on the NAS and see if it brings up Twonky
    Excuse my ignorance, by connect, what do you mean?

From my laptop?

In internet explorer or windows explorer can't remember which or both.
    Type in the address of the server so for example 192.168.0.10 or whichever i.p. address it's on.
    See if it connects then.

Twonky will be like this, 192.168.0.10:9001

Ste- wrote: »
    In internet explorer or windows explorer can't remember which or both.
    Type in the address of the server so for example 192.168.0.10 or whichever i.p. address it's on.
    See if it connects then.

Twonky will be like this, 192.168.0.10:9001
    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.9:9001

As I said, I can still access the admin panel, but the NAS has disappeared from my xbox and other linux box and I can watch movies from it any more around the house.

What should I do now?

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.9:9001

As I said, I can still access the admin panel, but the NAS has disappeared from my xbox and other linux box and I can watch movies from it any more around the house.

What should I do now?

In the admin panel check the shares under the sharing list. Can you attach a screenshot so we can have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

My Box has stopped working, seems to be stuck in a boot loop, was perfect for last 6 months and all of a sudden now its arsed.
    power on, boots then resets , continues every 20 seconds. with or without hdd's connected.

Gutted is an understatement! hope my hdd's are ok, have no way to check them,

had 2 x 2TB in raid 1 setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

phobia2011 wrote: »
    My Box has stopped working, seems to be stuck in a boot loop, was perfect for last 6 months and all of a sudden now its arsed.
    power on, boots then resets , continues every 20 seconds. with or without hdd's connected.

Gutted is an understatement! hope my hdd's are ok, have no way to check them,

had 2 x 2TB in raid 1 setup.

Have you tried a factory reset using the recessed button at the back? This won't affect your HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

Can anyone point me to where there are good instructions on how to change a hard drive in one of these (in my case the 310). It seems to be very complex. Thanks!

bromley52 wrote: »
    Have you tried a factory reset using the recessed button at the back? This won't affect your HD.

Factory reset does not seem to be responding!:confused::(

held button in but heard no beeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

johnwd wrote: »
    Can anyone point me to where there are good instructions on how to change a hard drive in one of these (in my case the 310). It seems to be very complex. Thanks!

You might want to back up what's on the drive first to any spare drive space over the network

1. Turn over the NAS and remove the screw from the base at the front.

2. Turn rightside up and the front face should slide off pulling gently from the top (take care as the front USB protrudes through the plastic). The drive is held in place by a retaining screw inside the casing so don't pull it at this stage.

3. Remove the four screws one in each corner on the bared front plate and slowly pull it forward half way out of the housing - the drive will follow. Remove that chrome retaining screw securing the top edge of the drive to the housing and the drive can be pulled out of enclosure.

4. Insert the new drive the right way up to ensure the power and data connection coincide.

5. Screw back the chrome screw and settle the drive back on its connections in the base with the front plate flush again. Add back the four screws, the front face clips back from bottom to top and put the black screw in the base.

6. Reattach power and ethernet. Turn on - restart the NAS Starter Utility and click 'Nas Discovery' on the bottom left front screen which should allow you click the 'Run Initialization Wizard' link to format the drive. If there's any data on this drive already it will be lost.

styron wrote: »
    You might want to back up what's on the drive first to any spare drive space over the network

1. Turn over the NAS and remove the screw from the base at the front.

2. Turn rightside up and the front face should slide off pulling gently from the top (take care as the front USB protrudes through the plastic). The drive is held in place by a retaining screw inside the casing so don't pull it at this stage.

3. Remove the four screws one in each corner on the bared front plate and slowly pull it forward half way out of the housing - the drive will follow. Remove that chrome retaining screw securing the top edge of the drive to the housing and the drive can be pulled out of enclosure.

4. Insert the new drive the right way up to ensure the power and data connection coincide.

5. Screw back the chrome screw and settle the drive back on its connections in the base with the front plate flush again. Add back the four screws, the front face clips back from bottom to top and put the black screw in the base.

6. Reattach power and ethernet. Turn on - restart the NAS Starter Utility and click 'Nas Discovery' on the bottom left front screen which should allow you click the 'Run Initialization Wizard' link to format the drive. If there's any data on this drive already it will be lost.

Really appreciate your taking the time to reply, however I screwed up and should have said Anyone any idea about how to shift the setup on an existing drive onto a new drive prior to installing it ... I don't want to lose my setups on the existing drive and I don't have the space to copy it off onto anything but the new drive ... which will be formatted the minute I insert it into the NAS... hope this makes sense and someone can help.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Considering this thread started in 2012 are these still worth getting? I'm currently using a RPi as a NAS but wouldn't mind something a bit more professional. The main reason is because it's so small but this looks fairly tidy too.

Considering this thread started in 2012 are these still worth getting? I'm currently using a RPi as a NAS but wouldn't mind something a bit more professional. The main reason is because it's so small but this looks fairly tidy too.

I'm currently having an issue with mine,
    Before yesterday I couldn't recommend highly enough. But until I can resolve my issue the jury is out. At least I'm still under guarantee!!!!

I got mine a while back adn still going strong.
    Only issing being I've 1.7TB left free so might have to upgrade next year or so.
    Very handy but no transcoding support for plex and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Really appreciate your taking the time to reply, however I screwed up and should have said Anyone any idea about how to shift the setup on an existing drive onto a new drive prior to installing it ... I don't want to lose my setups on the existing drive and I don't have the space to copy it off onto anything but the new drive ... which will be formatted the minute I insert it into the NAS... hope this makes sense and someone can help.
    Thanks again.

You could maybe get two cheap external HDD caddy's and put the hdd from the Zyel in one and a new empty HDD in the other and look for some cloning software to clone one drive to the other.

May take ages, but might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Thanks again.

Thanks for the clarification - I'd assumed you'd meant the hardware mainly because when you RTFM there's nothing about changing drives and as you can't copy/sync the original into a new one - enlarging the drive and migrating data back on to the 310 isn't a consideration for zyxel - pretty sure they see it as a baby/starter NAS.

You can't migrate anything to the new drive without initializing & formatting the new drive first as per the wizard. You can still transfer data from the old to new drive directly after that but if you've a laptop you'll need one usb enclosure or access to a windows desktop with two sata drive bays is even better.

Your existing configuration settings can be backed up locally to your PC first -
    From the Admin login click Maintenance => Configuration and you'll see a 'Backup Configuration Settings' to a .rom file. Restoring it is pretty straightforward too.

(One caveat - it is volume dependant in that when restoring your configuration it checks volume info stored in the configuration file against the volume it finds. I don't know if it will be strict and not accept the larger volume. If not you might be able to temporarily reduce the new volume size, restore you saved configuration settings and upsize the drive after. I'd take a number of .rom snapshots of the old drive for added insurance also.)

After initialising the new drive in the NAS put the old drive into the USB enclosure attached to your system or into the second sata drive bay of the desktop. In order for your system to be able to read and transfer the old drive's Ext3 formatted data to the NAS you need to install an ext file driver and manager: EXt2fsd

Install the .exe -enable write support for ext2 & forced writing support for ext3. Once started the old drive is recognised and useable in Computer - I drag and drop to the zPilot (can't get the faster file browser option to work) which copies to the NAS for me at 8 MBps. (It sometimes takes a couple of minutes to kick off - with the zpilot flatlining at 0MBps in the meantime.)

Another alternative for the desktop - is to take out the OS drive and put both NAS drives into the system - load opensource partedmagic (default 32) into ram using the bootdisk, mount both drives (ie. 'Model:Linux Raid ... ext4' for both drives) and copy and paste files from old disk to the (pre-formatted) new one before placing it back in the NAS. Files copied over at 45-55 MBps(!) for me.

edit - unaware partedmagic is now shareware - one of the last freeware versions: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic.html

Whichever route you go - hold on to the old hard drive for some time before wiping in case there are any glitches ie. test thoroughly files on the new drive first.

styron wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification - I'd assumed you'd meant the hardware mainly because when you RTFM there's nothing about changing drives and as you can't copy/sync the original into a new one - enlarging the drive and migrating data back on to the 310 isn't a consideration for zyxel - pretty sure they see it as a baby/starter NAS.

You can't migrate anything to the new drive without initializing & formatting the new drive first as per the wizard. You can still transfer data from the old to new drive directly after that but if you've a laptop you'll need one usb enclosure or access to a windows desktop with two sata drive bays is even better.

Your existing configuration settings can be backed up locally to your PC first -
    From the Admin login click Maintenance => Configuration and you'll see a 'Backup Configuration Settings' to a .rom file. Restoring it is pretty straightforward too.

(One caveat - it is volume dependant in that when restoring your configuration it checks volume info stored in the configuration file against the volume it finds. I don't know if it will be strict and not accept the larger volume. If not you might be able to temporarily reduce the new volume size, restore you saved configuration settings and upsize the drive after. I'd take a number of .rom snapshots of the old drive for added insurance also.)

After initialising the new drive in the NAS put the old drive into the USB enclosure attached to your system or into the second sata drive bay of the desktop. In order for your system to be able to read and transfer the old drive's Ext3 formatted data to the NAS you need to install an ext file driver and manager: EXt2fsd

Install the .exe -enable write support for ext2 & forced writing support for ext3. Once started the old drive is recognised and useable in Computer - I drag and drop to the zPilot (can't get the faster file browser option to work) which copies to the NAS for me at 8 MBps. (It sometimes takes a couple of minutes to kick off - with the zpilot flatlining at 0MBps in the meantime.)

Another alternative for the desktop - is to take out the OS drive and put both NAS drives into the system - load opensource partedmagic (default 32) into ram using the bootdisk, mount both drives (ie. 'Model:Linux Raid ... ext4' for both drives) and copy and paste files from old disk to the (pre-formatted) new one before placing it back in the NAS. Files copied over at 45-55 MBps(!) for me.

edit - unaware partedmagic is now shareware - one of the last freeware versions: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic.html

Whichever route you go - hold on to the old hard drive for some time before wiping in case there are any glitches ie. test thoroughly files on the new drive first.
    Hey thanks for taking the time to write this up - you've given me a couple of options to think about. Looks like there's no real easy way to do this, which is a pity - the zyxel has been good to me but I pulled the trigger and ordered a HP microserver N54L this evening from Dabs. I've a couple of 1TB, a 2TB (in the NSA310) and a 4tb that I was planning on moving to the NSA310, I've managed to convince myself that I'll be saving money in the future by being able to reuse the 2TB drive in the new box as well as sticking the 1TB drives in other cages and being able to share them out too ... I might be even able to do some backups with all the storage I'll hopefully have. What I'll defo do is take your advice and hold off on doing anything with the 2tb drive until I know the new setup is working! Thanks again - you're the kind of person who makes boards great.

I have the NSA310S and I'm trying to install FFP. I copied the web_prefix file into the admin/zy-pkgs folder but alas it doesn't show up in the package management. I even got the ffp zpkg file but that didn't work either.

To be honest I'm not even sure whether I need it since I have already enabled PyLoad, Transmission and nzbGet.

:edit: Never mind I got it installed through Media Repository! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭billyfromdublin

I have the NSA310S and I'm trying to install FFP. I copied the web_prefix file into the admin/zy-pkgs folder but alas it doesn't show up in the package management. I even got the ffp zpkg file but that didn't work either.

To be honest I'm not even sure whether I need it since I have already enabled PyLoad, Transmission and nzbGet.

:edit: Never mind I got it installed through Media Repository! :)

hi m8 can I please ask how you did it as I have the same probs as you had

cheers

Sure thing...I just used something called Media Repository:

http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/3rd_party_zypkgs#MetaRepository

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭billyfromdublin

Sure thing...I just used something called Media Repository:

http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/3rd_party_zypkgs#MetaRepository

thanks tried that just cant get it to show up

Advertisement