Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panasonic TG4/TV3 Sound?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

maxg wrote: »
    No, you don't need the dvb-s2 tuner for the channel scan. Without a factory reset you get only dvb-t and analogue in GW10 mode but you need only dvb-t for the saorview scan. The idea is to get the dvb-t channel list in GW10 mode and convert back to a G10B without resetting anything.

Did you do this? Does it work?

Just did it and it worked - great job!
    BTW it's a Panny TX-P50G10B

For all the lazy B@$tards I will post the hotel file for the Cairn Hill Area if you guys want it.:D

Back up your current tuning to an SD card just incase.

To do this:

1. Format an SD card on a PC.

Insert SD card into PC. Right-click on SD card in MyComputer, then select FORMAT and press OK.

2. Set up hotel.pwd file on SD card.

Open MyComputer and double click on SD card (Removeable Disk). Go to Tools, Folder Options and select the VIEW tab. Then unclick the "Hide extensions for known file types" option and apply the change. Right click and select New and Text Document to create an empty text file. Name it "hotel.pwd" ( Note that there is no .txt file extension added because of option selected above). Remove SD card.

3. Copy all channels from TV1 to SD card.

Turn on TV. Insert SD card. The process starts automatically. Enter the code 4850 when requested. The copy is made to the SD card. Remove the SD card.

4. Copy channels from SD card to TV2.

Turn on TV. Insert SD card. The process starts automatically. Enter the code 4851 when requested. The copy is made to the TV.
    Turn off the TV and then turn it on again. The channels are copied! There's no EPG info for the TV channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cillo2000

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxg
    No, you don't need the dvb-s2 tuner for the channel scan. Without a factory reset you get only dvb-t and analogue in GW10 mode but you need only dvb-t for the saorview scan. The idea is to get the dvb-t channel list in GW10 mode and convert back to a G10B without resetting anything.

damienirel wrote: »
    Just did it and it worked - great job!
    BTW it's a Panny TX-P50G10B

For all the lazy B@$tards I will post the hotel file for the Cairn Hill Area if you guys want it.:D

Can you post the steps you followed for this damienirel for those of us that don't live in the Cairn Hill area?

Follow the previous posts(i.e. join the dots - if you can't then this is not for you) not gonna advise anybody to do this as you could brick ur TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

cillo2000 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxg

Can you post the steps you followed for this damienirel for those of us that don't live in the Cairn Hill area?

Following on from a very informative PM from damien (Thanks btw! :)) I took the plunge and did this to my TV and it works perfectly!! And I have got the 7 Saorview channels back, my Freesat is as normal and despite RTENL broadcasting that flag I am now able to tune in any future channels they may launch.

It is a tedious operation and not for the technically illiterate but if you follow the Hex edit instructions and the steps in my guide then you will be able to get the channels back. The same problem still exists with the Sound Audio option on TV3, 3e & TG4 and pressing "I" will still not give you the information banner except on RTE News Now, EPG Data is there just no programme info, but this problem was there before RTE ever changed the broadcast flag and when the TV was in GW10 mode all EPG info was lost.

Do this at your own risk and I nor boards.ie accept no responsibility for bricked TV sets or voided TV warranties.

Print out the instructions and read them before doing it to make sure you know what you're doing. This workaround only works for Panasonic G10B models (screen size is irrelevant) and will not work with any other models that I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Stinicker, This is the hack I posted earlier in this thread. So fair whack for trying it (and damien - no guts no glory!)! Glad it works. Your second pdf is helpful and lays it out step by step. It just goes to show that the full service flags are defined in the TVs but turned off for UK in the software settings !

Now that you know that this works, what about the audio problems. Can you pull up detailed info on the audio PIDs being displayed by default on the problem channel? Four digit number labelled APID.

I wonder as an aside if anyone who has an earlier combo (LZD81 or PZ81) can even pull up the menu (ONLY GOING AS FAR AS STEP 2 then exiting) in the Hex edit instructions. If that HEx edit is in the previous models then it is only a matter of identifying the line - and getting that info would be the next step.

Stinicker - Thanks for the info. I was going to try the hex edit and I had assumed most of the steps in the second doc - but its comforting to see someone elses notes.

I have a G10B and I understand the risks. I'll post my results when I get home in 2 weeks. I'll also post my backup for others.

STB wrote: »
    Stinicker, This is the hack i posted earlier in this thread. So fair whack for trying it (and damien - no guts no glory!)! Your second pdf is helpful and lays it out step by step.

Now that you know that this works, what about the audio problems. Can you pull up detailed info on the audio PIDs being displayed by default on the problem channel? Four digit number labelled APID.

I wonder as an aside if anyone who has an earlier combo (LZD81 or PZ81) can even pull up the menu (ONLY GOING AS FAR AS STEP 2 then exiting) in the Hex edit instructions. If that HEx edit is in the previous models then it is only a matter of identifying the line - and getting that info would be the next step.

Yeah, its the same hack alright STB and Damien was the first to try it. I just made the instructions a little bit easier for the user as there was one spelling mistake saying "the" instead of "then" that had me confused for a little bit!! I also used France as the country instead of Germany as that indicated!

I can't get the APID from the Panasonic however I got them from my Technomate TM 6900HD combo box instead and am receiving it from Mullaghanish.

RTÉ One = 1201
    RTÉ Two - 1202
    TV3 = 1203
    TG4 = 1204
    RTÉ News Now = 1205
    3e = 1206
    RTENL HD = 1207

TV3 and 3e have the sound problem all the time and TG4 seems fine now and it appears to be programme specific on TG4.

I'm sure a quick trawl through AV Forums would give the Hex Edit instructions for the earlier models as it was used by the AV pureists to allow them to unlock the gamma control which you can't change in G10B mode so it might be the same for the earlier models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

There is no hack possible for earlier models because there was no corresponding range for central europe on the market in 2008.
    The hack for the G10B plasma simply change the product-id (hardwareID). The numbers 03 mean G10B and 20 mean GW10 plasma. The TV software check that ID and start than the software part which is defined for that model group.
    Btw the hack was only tested for the G10B plasma range. Nobody checked the product-id's for the lcd range. Its maybe not so a good idea to try 20 at G10B lcd.
    A wrong/not defined product-id kill the TV after leaving the service menu.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Can this be done for the LxxG10B model?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Can you enter the special Menu and Exit the menu without changing anything or saving anything ??

There is no hack possible for earlier models because there was no corresponding range for central europe on the market in 2008.
    The hack for the G10B plasma simply change the product-id (hardwareID). The numbers 03 mean G10B and 20 mean GW10 plasma. The TV software check that ID and start than the software part which is defined for that model group.
    Btw the hack was only tested for the G10B plasma range. Nobody checked the product-id's for the lcd range. Its maybe not so a good idea to try 20 at G10B lcd.
    A wrong/not defined product-id kill the TV after leaving the service menu.

The G15 is also in that model group. And apparently it does work but you need to change the value to 0F (zeroF) instead of 20. That area obviously being the model identifier.

One of the guys on hackaday has and it didnt brick his TV (it was a 37").

You are only doing this temporarily to tune in the stations and then reverting back to original settings.

But as maxg says - be careful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@STB
    Thanks for that. It's not my telly but my neighbours, so I'm not sure whether to recomend this as if it goes wrong, ..............

He might be prepared to try, but he is not technical.

@STB
    Thanks for that. It's not my telly but my neighbours, so I'm not sure whether to recomend this as if it goes wrong, ..............

He might be prepared to try, but he is not technical.

Hmm best not to fall out with the neighbours!

Hmm best not to fall out with the neighbours!

That is why I need the Hotel file for ch 54 3Rock/Kippure.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

Hi Guys,

Just noticed that the sound is back working again (without option etc...) on TG4 ...
    Now only TV3 and 3E with no sound ...
    They must be making some other changes along with RTE2 in HD ..

This is on a 50v10 freesat model ..

Anyone else with Panasonics notice this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I'm still somewhat perplexed as to why the Panasonic is preferring narrative stream over the regular language stream, but only on some channels.

On analysis, TG4 has one audio PID (1204) which is marked "iri" as the language.

TV3 has two audio PIDs - 1203 marked "eng" and 1213 marked "nar". These are consistent with RTE One which has 1201/1211 marked "eng"/"nar" and RTE Two which has 1202/1212, similarly marked "eng"/"nar" resectively.

So why is the Panasonic working ok for RTE1 and 2, but doing something different for TV3? What about 3E which has audio PIDs 1206/1216?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 John1000

I got the channels back on a G15B LCD. The channels are a bit slower to change now but at least they work. Thanks maxg for that hack.

• Advertisement

fat-tony wrote: »
    I'm still somewhat perplexed as to why the Panasonic is preferring narrative stream over the regular language stream, but only on some channels.

On analysis, TG4 has one audio PID (1204) which is marked "iri" as the language.

TV3 has two audio PIDs - 1203 marked "eng" and 1213 marked "nar". These are consistent with RTE One which has 1201/1211 marked "eng"/"nar" and RTE Two which has 1202/1212, similarly marked "eng"/"nar" resectively.

So why is the Panasonic working ok for RTE1 and 2, but doing something different for TV3? What about 3E which has audio PIDs 1206/1216?

3E and TV3 are the only 2 channels that do not have sound working, without changing via the option button .. All others are now working , TG4 was not working on my TV until today, so something must have changed recently ..

If you switch to TV3 first which options do you get for "Preferred Multi Audio" in the audio menu.

I don't have a preferred multi-audio option.
    I have a Multi-Audio option which shows the 2 channels nar and eng, but for some reason it defaults to nar on TV3 and 3e, but defaults to eng on most of the other channels .
    Just noticed that TG4 now only has one channel "iri", Previously this had 2 channels "iri" and "nar" and it used to default to "nar".

Unfortunately each time you change channel, it doesn't remember the previous preferred option ..

Setup -> Audio menu.
    There should be Preferred Multi Audio. Maybe you have to page down to the second page at a V10.

I would have thought that the default option (language or narr) would have applied to all channels, too. bob11's experience is that it's working ok for RTE 1 and 2 but not for TV3 or 3E.
    I don't have that TV model, so I cannot confirm, but it does seem strange. The TG4 channel is now working apparently because the TV has only one audio stream to choose from!
    I published the audio PIDs earlier in the thread and TV3 / E3 follow the same pattern as RTE 1 and 2 with the "eng" stream first, followed by the "nar" stream (which is silent in both cases). The "nar" stream would be used for Audio Description or alternate language presentation if available on the programme. The BBC do a lot of audio description and ITV less so. RTE, so far, have just played around with carrying alternate radio streams alongside the HD loop when it was being broadcast on the RTENL channel.

John1000 wrote: »
    I got the channels back on a G15B LCD. The channels are a bit slower to change now but at least they work. Thanks maxg for that hack.

For others it would be useful to know whether you inputted 0F (zeroF) instead of 20 ?
    Setup -> Audio menu.
    There should be Preferred Multi Audio. Maybe you have to page down to the second page at a V10.

Is this on a G10 maxg ? This problem also exists on the LZD81/Pz81 range whereby narrative is the default and there does not seem to be a set default option. And you cant edit the APID.

• Advertisement

I eventually found the preferred multi-audio menu .. I decided to RTFM :-)
    It was on the Menu button rather than the Option one ..
    Anyway is was set to English. The 3 options available were Welsh, English and Gaelic ... It doesn't make any difference which of these 3 that I selected.
    On TV3 and 3E, it still selects the "nar" audio channel .. It's a very strange fault ..

John1000 wrote: »

Right 2 problems with your post John:

"The channels are a bit slower to change now but at least they work"
    - Right you went from having no dt channels - zero dt channels -
    to receiving all of them and now they are slightly slower to change.
    Never happy are you John?

"Thanks maxg"
    - I had seen this hack on avfurums way before maxg mentioned it! I asked him if he tried it but didn't get a response - so I did it myself - took the risk of bricking my €1200 TV. Bit like thanking Bertie for the celtic tiger.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digital vs Analogue I think, not Digital vs none.

Digital channel changing is WAY slower than analogue as you have to fill the buffer and get key frame to even begin to decode. If the signal quality is poor it may take longer.

It's a myth that Digital is either there or gone. It's just a smaller range of signal between "perfect" and "nothing".

FM vs AM is a little similar. AM you hear gradual increase in noise.
    FM has two points as signal quality is poorer.
    Sounds OK, then suddenly quite noisy, then there is a sudden point where it's highly distorted and unintelligible.

With a very good quality signal, digital can change channel a bit faster than with a marginal quality signal. Channel change is always a good lot slower than Analogue. Especially when you change multiplex!

Just sorted out my G10B :D - Thanks guys. I seem to have an EPG too... It stated in the docs provided by Maxg "Saorview Radio Channels, Freesat Channels and Analogue all on the same integrated set". This doesn't seem to be the case, freesat in on freesat and saorview in on DVB. Has anyone got the integarted set-up as a result og this procedure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 John1000

For others it would be useful to know whether you inputted 0F (zeroF) instead of 20 ?
    I changed the value from 02 to 0F
    Right 2 problems with your post John:

"The channels are a bit slower to change now but at least they work"
    - Right you went from having no dt channels - zero dt channels -
    to receiving all of them and now they are slightly slower to change.
    Never happy are you John?

I went from having the channels to not having the channel and back to
    having the channels again. Now that they a back they are changing slower.
    What's you problem with that?

"Thanks maxg"
    - I had seen this hack on avfurums way before maxg mentioned it! I asked him if he tried it but didn't get a response - so I did it myself - took the risk of bricking my €1200 TV. Bit like thanking Bertie for the celtic tiger.:p

Maxg was was the guy who came up with the idea to get the channels back. Don't you think he deserves a little credit? It seems to me that you got the hump because he didn't respond to your post.

• Advertisement

cillo2000 wrote: »
    Just sorted out my G10B :D - Thanks guys. I seem to have an EPG too... It stated in the docs provided by Maxg "Saorview Radio Channels, Freesat Channels and Analogue all on the same integrated set". This doesn't seem to be the case, freesat in on freesat and saorview in on DVB. Has anyone got the integarted set-up as a result og this procedure?

Look I posted the link to the file that was uploaded on a hackaday. It was discovered and written by Mark Hodgkinson on Avforums in the UK back at the start of the year. They are calibration nuts who were using the hack to get into gamma settings available on the european models. Nobody has used this for the "Irish problem" ie UK Dbook settings in DVB-T tuner not seeing hardware capability ie MPEG4 processor. I dont know what all the sniping is about. Nobody put 2 and 2 together as it being a possible solution to the tuning issue until it was discussed in this thread 2 pages in between myself and maxg as a possible workaround.

Integrated ? If you leave the TV in European mode you lose the epg so you have to revert to Freesat (ie B) mode in order to have same.

But it does work so everyone should be happy!

The LXD81 range (with dvb- mpeg4) was released at the same time as the LZD81 Freesat Combo range.

Also there was a PZ81E released at the same time as the PZ81B.

I am of the opinion that Panasonic were lazy and its a similar software change in the Unit that separates country release.

If you can get your hands on the system information data of a LXD81FV and a PZ81E we could analyse the data.
    Menu button -> Setup -> System Menu -> System information.

If you can get your hands on the system information data of a LXD81FV and a PZ81E we could analyse the data.
    Menu button -> Setup -> System Menu -> System information.

I have a 37LZD81 freesat tele...

My system Info is:

SW Version 2601 -10100
    Status 1 0031-0003-1000-0000
    Status 2 0000-0002-0000-0000
    HDAVI 3

Could working. Converting to a LZD81F and back to a LZD81B should be possible. The product-id's are different compared to the other panas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

That fixed the problem for me. The issue is due to some channels broadcasting an empty audio description stream. If you've set Audio Description to Auto (or On) it defaults to that (empty) stream. Or so it would seem.

extopia wrote: »
    That fixed the problem for me. The issue is due to some channels broadcasting an empty audio description stream. If you've set Audio Description to Auto (or On) it defaults to that (empty) stream. Or so it would seem.

Fixed On ALL channels ? G10 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Yes, audio is good on all channels. V20B.

It makes no difference on my G10B, TV3 and 3e still mute on default.

That is because their should not be any problems with a V20B because it has a dvb-t2 or Freeview HD tuner. Nowhere for Panasonic to hide there! If they couldnt get basics right on that they would have a 66 million population to deal with!

The G10B has a dvb-t tuner with the same crippling of firmware to ensure only decoding of MPEG2 services despite the onboard MPEG4 H264 L4 processor!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The worst thing about Panasonic is not their crippling of their firmware but their utter unwillingness to sort their own mess out with new firmware. The basically never release any :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Could someone whos done the hack on a PxxgG10B post their sd card file for three rock ?

Look I posted the link to the file that was uploaded on a hackaday. It was discovered and written by Mark Hodgkinson on Avforums in the UK back at the start of the year. They are calibration nuts who were using the hack to get into gamma settings available on the european models. Nobody has used this for the "Irish problem" ie UK Dbook settings in DVB-T tuner not seeing hardware capability ie MPEG4 processor. I dont know what all the sniping is about. Nobody put 2 and 2 together as it being a possible solution to the tuning issue until it was discussed in this thread 2 pages in between myself and maxg as a possible workaround.

Integrated ? If you leave the TV in European mode you lose the epg so you have to revert to Freesat (ie B) mode in order to have same.

But it does work so everyone should be happy!

Sorry STB but this was all on AVFORUMS not just for the gamma thing but also for people who bought a set in the UK and were using it in mainland europe and wanted the uk freesat as well as the local digital. - you and maxg are by no means unique in coming up with a fix
    and lets not forget that neither of ye even tried the fix that ye discussed so much.
    Credit where credit is due - avforums people are the people to thank!

Sorry STB but this was all on AVFORUMS not just for the gamma thing but also for people who bought a set in the UK and were using it in mainland europe and wanted the uk freesat as well as the local digital. - you and maxg are by no means unique in coming up with a fix
    and lets not forget that neither of ye even tried the fix that ye discussed so much.

Well why didnt you try it prior to this ?

I didnt try it because I own neither of the model ranges. Me ? I am trying to help fix other peoples problems. The hack I read I picked up initially on hackaday, not avforums. I posted the link to that discussion. It was about UK use of the European model for Gamma settings.

I have only now seen the discussions on hifi germany.

I have recently posted on avforums asking about similar backdoor routes but to no avail. As i understand from Ian over there, its not a discussion that people want to have.

And you, what are you bringing to the party ? Have you something to contribute ? Enough.

You missed the point. The whole hack wasn't developed in the UK. The Uk tutorial is more or less only a copy in english. The idea to use the hack for the irish problem was mentioned the first time in this thread and not in the UK or Germany.
    Beside that is not so much a risk to follow a cooking recipe to the letter. It was 100 times confirmed that 20 is working for a G10B plasma.

bob11 wrote: »
    I don't have a preferred multi-audio option.
    I have a Multi-Audio option which shows the 2 channels nar and eng, but for some reason it defaults to nar on TV3 and 3e, but defaults to eng on most of the other channels .
    Just noticed that TG4 now only has one channel "iri", Previously this had 2 channels "iri" and "nar" and it used to default to "nar".

Unfortunately each time you change channel, it doesn't remember the previous preferred option ..
    Is your problem on TG4 back again? I just noticed that TG4 has two audio streams again "iri" (audio PID 1204) and "nar" (PID 1214).

fat-tony wrote: »
    Is your problem on TG4 back again? I just noticed that TG4 has two audio streams again "iri" (audio PID 1204) and "nar" (PID 1214).

Yes TG4 is now mute on default and I have to change it from "nar" to "iri" to get sound! :mad:

Normally a receiver take the first audio stream if the audio default setting doesn't match a stream.

Yes I have posted that same view several times. Any normal set would take the first stream if it couldn't find a match. I can't fathom why these Panasonics are working ok for RTE One but not for TV3 / TG4 which have similar audio setups - "eng" first stream and "narr" second stream.

• Advertisement

Did you check in which sequence the audio channels are definded in the SDT.

Advertisement