Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alleged Homophobic Attack in Spar Dame Street, Reaction!

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

My reaction would be to attack them back

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

orestes wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with you, I just think your position and the way you have gone about trying to make your point are ill-informed hysterical nonsense. Nothing personal about it, it's simply discussion of the subject at hand.

Ok, a gay couple were apparently abused by a security guard. You used this isolated incident to accuse the entire population of Ireland of being homophobic or complicit in homophobic discrimination, even going so far as to call for violence in a quest for equality. When other people made reasonable observations about your position you started posting tabloid-style hysterics about gay people not being able to show each other affection in public without getting abused.

I changed the word gay to goth to illustrate the point that people who are different are going to get shit, that an entire population shouldn't be judged on the basis of a small minority of fukkwits. Or do you not think goths should get equal rights too?

The reason I think it's been personal is I have at least twice apologised for inciting violence! Also this isolated incident is just one of many "isolated incidents" and anyone claiming otherwise is plain simply wrong!

Also if you had read my posts which I don't think you have is that I have repeatedly said that I personally have intervened! So I'm for equal rights for everyone but you just seem to be content to ignore that and claim that I'm just being hysterical!

Go for it man, anymore inaccurate claims about me you wanna throw my way?

Unfortunately the only evidence I have is anecdotal from friends that I'm sure you'll understand I won't name on this as they have already been through enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

After reading this thread, I am convinced that the op must have been one of
    the two guys in spar that night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

rochey84 wrote: »
    Apolgies but it's kinda funny that boards even see it as an offensive word!!

The word I was saying is "fággotts"

Ah, should be with one T.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

0066ad wrote: »
    After reading this thread, I am convinced that the op must have been one of
    the two guys in spar that night ;)

Amazing! This post proves that you shouldn't jump to conclusions! I was not one of the 2 lads but if I had of been I would not have stood for the language or physical attack either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Ah, should be with one T.

And a big ''A''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Amazing! This post proves that you shouldn't jump to conclusions! I was not one of the 2 lads but if I had of been I would not have stood for the language or physical attack either!

Right back at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Regardless of the motivation behind the attack, people will not get involved because they fear for there own safety.

The ****tards who attacked these guys used their sexual orientation as an excuse to justify to themselves why they should attack in the first place. I have no doubt the same scum would just as easily attack you for being of a different race, because you have red hair, because they don't like the way you have your hair styled etc etc.....

I say once they are caught, bring them out and publicly flog them. I'm sick of hearing stories like this, these filth need to be made an example if.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Blay wrote: »
    Unless I was 100% certain I was going to come out of it in one piece I wouldn't get involved in any violent situation out on the streets.

I know people that have stepped in and in one case one of the attackers produced a knife..so it may look like you're stepping into a fistfight you could win but would you win against a knife? That's what you have to be thinking.

them spar security guards are crafty bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I have no doubt the same scum would just as easily attack you for being of a different race, because you have red hair, because they don't like the way you have your hair styled etc etc.....

Finally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Can't say the incident at the Spar shop is any big surprise, Dubliners think they're Billy Big Timers up there with Londoners, New Yorkers and Parisians, truth is it's a village with a village mentality and you can walk from Parnell St down to Wexford St which pretty much comprises the city centre north to south in about 15 minutes.

The fact that there's only a handful of LGBT venues confirms this, they'd be far better off in London or Berlin in terms of nightlife and community, which is not to say they shouldn't be catered for and feel comfortable in Ireland.

I've had Homophobic grief in Dublin and I don't even know any gay people !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The reason I think it's been personal is I have at least twice apologised for inciting violence! Also this isolated incident is just one of many "isolated incidents" and anyone claiming otherwise is plain simply wrong!

Also if you had read my posts which I don't think you have is that I have repeatedly said that I personally have intervened!

So I'm for equal rights for everyone but you just seem to be content to ignore that and claim that I'm just being hysterical!

Go for it man, anymore inaccurate claims about me you wanna throw my way?

Unfortunately the only evidence I have is anecdotal from friends that I'm sure you'll understand I won't name on this as they have already been through enough!

Ok, rational isn't working, let's play it your way then.

You're basing all of this on anecdotal evidence and a single incident that we know almost nothing about, and extrapolating a widespread epidemic of violent assaults against gay people due to a homophobic mindset of the entire Irish population.

Quick question, have you ever heard of a young lady called Sophie Lancaster? She was a teenager who was beaten to death (after spending 13 days in a coma) in a public park in Britain a few years ago by a gang of 5 guys for being a goth. Her boyfriend ended up in intensive care after the same attack.

So, a couple were beaten so severely that one of them died and the other ended up spending time in intensive care because of a bunch of hate-filled monsters, for being different. The case was widely reported in international media and sparked several interest groups and foundations dedicated to stamping out intolerance and hatred towards people who are considered to be "different", not just goths, but anybody who might be persecuted or abused because of who they are.

A gay couple got some grief off a security guard in a shop after a night out for kissing and you attacked the entire Irish population for being implicit in discrimination and gay people being physically assaulted, backing it up with nothing other than personal opinion, references to a facebook page, anecdotal evidence and your own sense of being persecuted.

Get off your cross.

From the one account posted on this thread I don't see why anyone would have called the Gardai, the person who was apparently physically attacked first apparently took care of the situation himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

dd972 wrote: »
    Can't say the incident at the Spar shop is any big surprise, Dubliners think they're Billy Big Timers up there with Londoners, New Yorkers and Parisians, truth is it's a village with a village mentality and you can walk from Parnell St down to Wexford St which pretty much comprises the city centre north to south in about 15 minutes.

The fact that there's only a handful of LGBT venues confirms this, they'd be far better off in London or Berlin in terms of nightlife and community, which is not to say they shouldn't be catered for and feel comfortable in Ireland.

I've had Homophobic grief in Dublin and I don't even know any gay people !

Crazy viewpoint. As a Dub, i think that I'm better than Londoners, New Yorkers and Parisians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

So...

What we have is one persons word against another. And suddenly, Ireland is a melting pot of hate.

I don't know what happened in that shop, OP, and neither do you. The 2 men claim it was because they were gay. It could also be possible that they were acting the príck, asked to leave, and suddenly it becomes, "Wot, is it cos I is black gay?!"

I really don't care who you sleep with.

I see a fight happening, between 2/3 people, unless someone is getting an absolute kicking, then no, I'm not getting in the way. I don't care if it's between a tranny and a member of the Yakuza, a lesbian and Tiger Woods, or a straight person and a gay person.

I also know of gay person that has had a few incidents, that each time he claims it's a homophobic attack. It has nothing to do with the fact that he's a mouthy little príck. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

There are posts on here (forgive me I don't know how to multi-quote) that are basically saying that in 2013 a gay couple have to be afraid to be affectionate in public, that is the point of this whole thread, while I know this to be fact, I wish it wasn't and that is the reasoning behind this thread!

I know that this thread is emotive and I know that I have used a lot of emotive words throughout my OP and my posts here in general and I'm not gonna apologise because I want the same status as my friends and family who can openly show their partners affection in public!

I ask anyone who disagrees with this to walk a mile in the shoes of a gay person!

You would be back on here giving out thats someone is homophobic for stealing their shoes.

All this talk of homophobia from the incident but not one word from the gay side about the physical assault and racism from the 2 lads towards the security chap .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Boombastic wrote: »
    You are also making the assumption that all the by-standers in the shop were 'straight'

This.

The last time I was in that place very late at night, between the LGBT crowd and the dancers from the club next door, it reminded me of being in Fulton Street, San Francisco on a wild night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Crazy viewpoint. As a Dub, i think that I'm better than Londoners, New Yorkers and Parisians.

Don't think it's such a crazy viewpoint, village idiots can't handle having a thriving LGBT scene in their town, not saying all Dubs are like this, but there's a hell of a lot more parochial dimwits here than Central London, Paris or Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Bystander effect

It has nothing to do with who the people are.

I will never get involved in a fight again. I saw one guy getting a "few smacks" outside an off licence years ago. I (Stupidly) decided to get involved and help him. I walked into the fraca, and grabbed him. I got him out and separated the scumbags that were hitting him. I hadn't realised that three of his friends were standing beside watching. As soon as i got him out of them, he ran without giving me the chance to get out, the last thing i remember was him, and his friends watching me getting kicked in the face. Broke my nose, two teeth, split my gums and ear. I also needed 42 stitches in the end.

There's more to that story, i couldn't be bothered going in to, the lads were young, there were other people there, it shouldn't have got out of hand, i shouldn't have gone in on my own ( I actually thought i was leading by example, that others would see them separate and walk in too..).

But there are plenty of reasons people wouldn't get involved in something they know nothing about. So husht the next time you say sh!t like this.
    2) Straight people who aren't homophobic but turn a blind eye to what allegedly happened in the Spar on Dame Street, you are just as culpable as the people who carry out these actions, all of us your Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender brothers and sisters, friends, cousins, sons, daughters
    And especially this
    we need your help to normalise this if that means you sometimes having to fight a fight that isn't your own, tough cause everytime you do nothing when something like this happens in front of you, you are agreeing with the homophobic little pricks who carry out the actions!

F*CK Off..

If i ever am stupid enough to get involved in something like that again, it will be if someone with a SEVERE disadvantage is getting a hiding. And i will be severely weighing up the situation even then. Not for a fit/in their prime/healthy couple of people getting in a scuffle in a shop.

On top of everything else, it adds fuel to the fire, and can seriously amplify an already irate situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

There is also a downside to calling the guards in inflammatory situations like this too as it actually takes a really long time to do. It isn't like in the movies when you dial, shout help into the phone and have squad cars instantly rolling up to the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

You know what pisses me off, on a personal level, more than anything else? Mother fuckers like you that make me out to be a bad guy for something I haven't had the chance to do yet. Feminists do the exact same shit, and I won't put up with that either. I'm not homophobic. I'm not sexist. I'm pretty sure I'm not a bigot in the slightest. So FUCK you and stop hating straight people, asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Apologies to anyone who doesn't know the original story I have edited the OP to include the following link:

http://www.thejournal.ie/spar-investigates-alleged-homophobic-incident-at-dame-street-store-773660-Jan2013/
    So verbal abuse is now an attack, and we should intervene how, exactly? Would "Tut, tut" or "Ah heyore" suffice?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement