Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did humans really evolve from fish?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Okay, why would I be lying about this, Sherlock? You do realise that not everybody had the same experiences as you, right? And again, for the hard of reading, I am not saying that I was taught intelligent design in school. I am saying that certain teachers, in primary school, had a fairly cack-handed approach to evolution, due in part to how it conflicted with what they were teaching us in religion.

I do know that I have met a decent number of people who fundamentally misunderstand evolution and really aren't sure of how it works in the slightest. And I'm not talking about anything in depth, just the basics.

Again, it wasn't an entirely well thought-out or serious post, I'm mostly just replying because your posting style is atrocious and ur mad bro.

Both Doc Ruby and yourself are correct in your assertions. The reasons a lot of Catholics have difficulty with evolution is because it wasn't accepted by Pope JP II till 1995 therefore many Catholics would have grown up accepting creationist bs. However in 1995 JP said the evidence was overwhelming so it became accepted. Many Irish Catholics whose knowledge of science and the day to day changes in church dogma would not be the strongest still perpetuated some of the older beliefs. Some Catholics accepted it but never bothered actually learning what it entailed. Therefore children never really had a chance of learning about it properly because those teaching them didn't really understand it.

Pope Benedict has made some statements recently which hinted that he didn't entirely accept evolution which will then continue to confuse some Catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well I provided a wiki link, that's what you wanted right?

Are you not aware of his stances on intelligent design?

Here, have a look.
    For pity's sake. The link you provided had zero evidence to support your point, none, not to mention being about a bishop on a different continent entirely, one known for being the mainstay of creationism. And you then link to LMGTFY as if, agh I give up.

Best of luck with that.

The church may be destined for hell, but it's not for creationism or being anti science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    What I'm saying is you'd have to be off your head to imagine this resembles reality in any way, shape or form. I'm also saying that you've never actually been to an Irish school. By the way I'm the queen of england, I just troll these forums to get a rise out of people, it lights my eighty six year old fires. Amazing what you can claim with anecdotal nonsense in semi anonymous discussions.

If it helps, I can back up this poster's claim that there are a lot of irish people who have no idea of how evolution works.

In fact, if you really wanted you could find a lot of posts on this very forum to confirm this.

But, for some reason, I don't think you're open to acknowledging this.

If you expect me to believe that you don't know people who don't understand evolution then you must be nuts.

I know people who think the Moon Landings were fake, who think 9/11 was a conspiracy, who thought the world was gonna end in Dec 2012, who think there is a man in the sky who watches them day and night........................ I don't have proof for any of this though. You'll just have to tell me i'm a liar as a default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Everyone knows we came from Chimpanzees.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Both Doc Ruby and yourself are correct in your assertions. The reasons a lot of Catholics have difficulty with evolution is because it wasn't accepted by Pope JP II till 1995 therefore many Catholics would have grown up accepting creationist bs. However in 1995 JP said the evidence was overwhelming so it became accepted
    Utter bollocks. I went to school well pre-1995 and nobody was talking about creationism. Creationism is largely an American protestant post-2000 thing, as far as education is concerned. And I have yet to see a single factual source claiming that any number of Irish people are in favour of creationism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Internet sarcasm, well that's my week wrecked.

This is what you're saying

What I'm saying is you'd have to be off your head to imagine this resembles reality in any way, shape or form. I'm also saying that you've never actually been to an Irish school. By the way I'm the queen of england, I just troll these forums to get a rise out of people, it lights my eighty six year old fires. Amazing what you can claim with anecdotal nonsense in semi anonymous discussions.

The backpedalling certainly is entertaining.

You've got me. I never went to school in Ireland, I actually went to school in Glen Oak California. My dad was a minister in the 7th day Adventist church and I had 6 brothers and sisters, one of whom I was slightly attracted to as it was actually Jessica Biel. We went through many things in the family, including teenage pregnancy, drug-abuse, bullying, racism, spousal abuse and intelligent design but in the end, it was okay because we were a family and we realised evolution was actually real.

Utter bollocks. I went to school well pre-1995 and nobody was talking about creationism. Creationism is largely an American protestant post-2000 thing, as far as education is concerned. And I have yet to see a single factual source claiming that any number of Irish people are in favour of creationism.

I'm sorry, but we'll need some evidence of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The Catholic position on evolution changed to one of acceptance in 1995. Have a look if you like.

Bleckmann, Charles A. "Evolution and Creationism in Science: 1880–2000." BioScience 52.2 (2006): 151-58.

You've got me. I never went to school in Ireland, I actually went to school in Glen Oak California. My dad was a minister in the 7th day Adventist church and I had 6 brothers and sisters, one of whom I was slightly attracted to as it was actually Jessica Biel. We went through many things in the family, including teenage pregnancy, drug-abuse, bullying, racism, spousal abuse and intelligent design but in the end, it was okay because we were a family and we realised evolution was actually real.
    Well your heritage amounts to more than a double wide, I want you to know this.
    I'm sorry, but we'll need some evidence of this.
    Facepalm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

We all came from the big bang in the long term.
    Well, most of us if you know what I mean ;)
    No, we were never fish, lol. We were similar however.

Facepalm.

You haven't backed yourself up at all here. Am I just supposed to believe you> That you actually learned different things to me in school?

You're crazy!

Has anyone here actually said that ANY Irish people accept Creationism? Pretty much everyone has said that everyone believes in evolution. Some people, including me, are suggesting that the way that we were taught in primary school was confusing as some teachers tried to marry the concepts of evolution and "God is in everything" religion. You've jumped the fence on this so many times, it's hilarious to watch.

We all came from the big bang in the long term.
    Well, most of us if you know what I mean ;)
    No, we were never fish, lol. We were similar however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I don't think there is anything scarier than crap people.
    I hid under the duvet clutching my testicles the first time I encountered them.

Has anyone here actually said that ANY Irish people accept Creationism? Pretty much everyone has said that everyone believes in evolution. Some people, including me, are suggesting that the way that we were taught in primary school was confusing as some teachers tried to marry the concepts of evolution and "God is in everything" religion. You've jumped the fence on this so many times, it's hilarious to watch.
    Not as hilarious as watching someone backpedal so fast that they risk turning their cheeks into flaps.

• Advertisement

You've jumped the fence on this so many times, it's hilarious to watch.
    Not as hilarious as watching someone backpedal so fast that they risk turning their cheeks into flaps.

Ugh, awkward. Stop trying so hard.

Ugh, awkward. Stop trying so hard.
    Trying hard is you paddling your keyboard. For me this is not the greatest challenge ever shall we charitably say.

Did your sister spurn your advances tonight, or something? You seem tense.

Did your sister spurn your advances tonight, or something? You seem tense.
    Hearkening back to the double wide I see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I don't believe we evolved from fish.

There's a really dumb song about dolphins being monkeys that didn't like the land, but I dont believe fish evolved from us either

Advertisement