Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How articulate are you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Quite indubitably.

*adjusts monocle*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Very.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

I'm making a conscious effort to become more eloquent. Hearing someone speak with good grammar, concisely and expressively and with nice pauses instead of filler words such as ummm, uhh, ya know is a melody to behold. Contrast that with say Bertie Ahern who literally gives me a headache to listen to.

I think the goal should be to speak concisely as possible while expressing your thoughts as accurately as possible.

I realised recently I've a terrible habit of saying "get here" instead of arrive for example. I think arrive sounds so much better.

There can be problems with speaking clearly to the point. It often requires the use of words which are not in everyone's lexicon.

Some of the words I got "stop trying to sound smart" type resonses to:

"Tautology". I was badly mistaken in the assumption that most adults would know the meaning of this word. It offended someone I wasn't even speaking to so much they felt the need to interject.

"Vice". As in "X is a vice I allow myself". I was quite surprised that an adult could have made it all the way into their 30s and managed to avoid picking this one up.

"Nomenclature". This one was quite ironic. I was called up on this one when pointing out that experts shouldn't deploy too many discipline-specific terms when decribing what their work to lay audiences. I may have been guilty of a similar charge here :)

If it sounds like I am some kind of vocabulary snob, I assure you, this is not the case. Given the very large number of words in the english language it is not surprising in the least to encounter ones you haven't heard before. I never think less of a person for not knowing what a particular word means, even relatively common words, but I can't help but think a little less of someone who sneers at someone who happens to know a word they don't.
    I have had to ask the meaning of words many times in the past and expect I shall have to do so again in the future.

Vocabulary is to some extent the key to articulation. Most words describe something really specific and while other words can be employed in their place, they don't capture quite as precicely your true intent.

As is probably obvious from this post, I do better speaking words than writing them (though I wouldn't rate myself articulate). Grammar is completely mysterious to me and I can't spell to save my life. Spell check is pretty much the only reason that anyone who works with me isn't convinced I'm a little slow. They have many other reasons for suspicion but that's a whole other conversation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I think they were joking.

As for me, I'm really really really really really articulate. So I am.

I don't get the joke though. :confused:

Anyway, people often tell me I'm articulate. I suppose I find it quite easy to verbalise my thoughts and I don't do a lot of 'errr', 'ammm', 'y'know'. I do overuse 'like', but it's a bad habit I'm trying to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I don't get the joke though. :confused:

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was along the lines of deliberately correcting someone's misuse of a word incorrectly to show that they're not very eloquent at all.

I dunno shure, I don't like big werds at all at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

I don't see a huge difference between how you described articulate and expressive.

I think the difference he/she is getting at would be:

Articulate: Use of words that are highly descriptively accurate.

Expressive: Use of words, tone etc. that have an emotional content. Sounding really amazed or interested might be examples. A mode of speech that conveys how the speaker feels about the topic.
    It would be hard to be considered eloquent while at the same time not being articulate and expressive.

That's probably true. You can be articulate without being eloquent but it would be a challenge to be the inverse*.

* Ok, fess up now, were you wondering if inverse means what I was trying to say there? :) .......dammit, now I'm not sure myself. - frecken language!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I suppose I'd have to backtrack a little and agree with some of what Procrastinator has said in that it is certainly a useful exercise to attempt to broaden one's breadth of language across all 4 areas.
    I originally only meant to highlight that you will not necessarily improve in all those areas at once, there are different methods and indeed thought processes required for each area, some more than others admittedly

When I read the thread title which only mentioned the word articulate and then read the OP which mentioned improving language skills in many different areas, I felt the need to interject with a (I thought so at least) whimsical observation on the difficult task of improving so many areas simultaneously.

The eternal pedant in me really needs to shut up once in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My mother was told at various parent-teacher meetings that I had an extremely advanced vocabulary for my age- at the time they put it down to my being an avid reader (constantly had my head in a book as a kid).

It's something I'd certainly strive to instill in my own children when I have some- reading the facebook messages on my 16 year old brother's page is incredibly depressing. Although maybe it's like when txt spk came out and we all used it, but eventually grew out of it? Perhaps in 10 years' time all those inarticulate morans will be able to string a coherent sentence together..?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

To strive to be more articulate is something to be admired, I reckon. It shows you have standards and that 'it'll do' is not the way you live your life. Our language is one of our greatest tools and assets and I don't think it's right to take it for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Something I find to be a bothersome quandary is how many posters on After Hours adopt the style of a BBC continuity announcer circa 1954. In the real world, I can say with some assurity that I rarely if ever hear Irish people speak or see them write with such affected panache, unless they happen to have the letters "SC" after their name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm making a conscious effort to become more eloquent. Hearing someone speak with good grammar, concisely and expressively and with nice pauses instead of filler words such as ummm, uhh, ya know is a melody to behold. Contrast that with say Bertie Ahern who literally gives me a headache to listen to.

I think the goal should be to speak concisely as possible while expressing your thoughts as accurately as possible.

I realised recently I've a terrible habit of saying "get here" instead of arrive for example. I think arrive sounds so much better.

Only synesthetes behold melodies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Username567

Agricola wrote: »
    Something I find to be a bothersome quandary is how many posters on After Hours adopt the style of a BBC continuity announcer circa 1954. In the real world, I can say with some assurity that I rarely if ever hear Irish people speak or see them write with such affected panache, unless they happen to have the letters "SC" after their name.

I've heard a few who speak lucidly, I think it's a breath of fresh air, I plan on doing so myself. I won't say a ridiculously obscure word when their is a simple alternative everyone understands, however if I feel a relatively unspoken word is more accurate I'll say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Perhaps in 10 years' time all those inarticulate morans will be able to string a coherent sentence together..?
    I wouldn't bank on it..

My friends sister has been posting that kind of shït talk for years, and to see her write anything or hear her speak would make your arse twitch.

Much like yourself Lollipops I always had my head in a book as a child. My parents were also told I was very verbally articulate for my age too, so there is a direct link there between reading at a young age and being able to speak articulately I think.

I've been asked by people to make calls or write letters because I'm told 'oh you know what to say', because they're afraid they won't word what they want to say correctly. I don't mind at all, but I think some people should pick up a book every once in a while.

I recall being accused by an ex that I made the word 'audacity' up. Moron.

Abi wrote: »

My friends sister has been posting that kind of shït talk for years, and to see her write anything or hear her speak would make your arse twitch.
    LOL! :D Even when we have a decent vocabulary and are articulate, it's those types of phrases that make me giggle!

Abi wrote: »
    I recall being accused by an ex that I made the word 'audacity' up. Moron.

:eek: I think I would have had to hit him over the head with a dictionary, before force-feeding it to him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

LOL! :D Even when we have a decent vocabulary and are articulate, it's those types of phrases that make me giggle!
    Verbally articulate does not mean stiff and humourless :);)
    :eek: I think I would have had to hit him over the head with a dictionary, before force-feeding it to him...
    If the word had more than four letters in it I MUST have made it up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The goal should be effective communication - t hatthe people you are speaking to will understand what you're saying. Keep it simple - Plain English all the way;

http://www.simplyput.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd say I'm a tad bit more than the average person anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Eschew obfuscation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

bluewolf wrote: »
    Eschew obfuscation

Espouse elucidation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

bluewolf wrote: »
    Eschew obfuscation

Communicating effectively is entirely subjective. There are parts of Ireland where the accent used and local idioms leave me baffled. So, I suppose whether or not you are articulate depends on your audience.

Its a bit like accents, most people pick up and adopt the accents around them. The use of language has to be equally flexible. Just because you are able to use big words like 'marmalade' :) in every second sentence doesn't mean you should.

If your language alienates people, what's the point?

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Very .I was an avid reader as a young child and I would make a point of finding out what a particular word meant and file it away in my head .

I love how one word like ' Absolutely ' can be used to express agreement with somebody without going into the detail of why you agree with them 100% . ( annoying if they want you to elaborate :pac: ) I do however cringe when I see how a niece of mine articulates herself on social network ...not very well at all :o

Lamarr: “My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.”

Taggart: “Gal-darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a 20-dollar whore.
    from one extreme to another ...:pac: love that movie to .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Language should not be used to belittle or demean others for their perceived lack of knowledge or intelligence. But neither should a person be mocked or abused for their use of words.

Language is fabulously diverse and we should all be able use it the way we see fit and should allow others to do the same.

On the remark about the difficulty of being concise and to the point, I have always loved this Twain quote:
    “I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Username567

RainyDay wrote: »

The goal should be effective communication - t hatthe people you are speaking to will understand what you're saying. Keep it simple - Plain English all the way;

http://www.simplyput.ie/

Yes of course, but often times effective communication requires you to use language which isn't simple. Say for example you want to convey accurately your sense perceptions and emotions during a trek through the amazon rainforest. That becomes difficult with "simple" language.To convey your exact thoughts, emotions, smells, sounds, feelings, imagery etc is very difficult. I agree simple language should be used if it suffices, however there are times it doesn't suffice.

To be honest, blatant mispronunciation of words annoys me more than a lack of diverse vocabulary.

I was in a cafe yesterday and in the queue in front of me was a lady who was clearly up from the country (she said so herself in conversation with her friend). She was ordering a "sangwhich"- she used that pronunciation several times. She seemed perfectly normal other than that, but her fairly heavy accent coupled with her inability to order correctly had the poor Polish deli worker terribly confused....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Holsten wrote: »
    I'd say I'm a tad bit more than the average person anyway.

Tad = a small bit. It's a lovely, concise word that people insist on rendering useless through pleonasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Yes of course, but often times effective communication requires you to use language which isn't simple. Say for example you want to convey accurately your sense perceptions and emotions during a trek through the amazon rainforest. That becomes difficult with "simple" language.To convey your exact thoughts, emotions, smells, sounds, feelings, imagery etc is very difficult. I agree simple language should be used if it suffices, however there are times it doesn't suffice.

Yes the use of simple English may not adequately convey all of those things. However, language that is unnecessarily convoluted may act as a barrier to the expression of those very ideas you are trying to convey.

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Would you like to give me a specific example of a passage or text that can't be put into simple language?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I do sometimes get inebriated by the exuberance of my own verbosity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I also fall into the 'read loads of books as a child' category, and I distinctly remember being told by one of my class-mates in primary school at the age of 6 or 7 that I used to "talk posh" (sic). It was probably as much to do with me having had a very neutral accent due to moving house a lot as a child, as the words I used; I was pretty reserved and didn't say much back then.

I value the use of language, and I notice (and mentally approve) when I meet someone who speaks well, although I have plenty of friends who don't, and I wouldn't hold it against them.

If I notice that I've messed up the syntax of a sentence when speaking, or have used the wrong word, I usually get pretty pissed off with myself and replay the sentence in my head the correct way... Does anyone else do this?

I think it shows that my speaking ability isn't as good as my vocabulary.

Advertisement