Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21st Century Railway - RTÉ 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

shamwari wrote: »
    Is it / will it be available on RTE Player?
    Possibly not? that other good program Ar an Oileán is on the list already. The production company has possibly not allowed it to be on the rte player or rte thought there might not be enough interest to include it?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

Does anybody know where the music from the ad was taken from? It's really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

It wasn't on the RTE player when I looked last night. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Gone again...'....not available in your region'.

Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Gone again...'....not available in your region'.

Hmm.
    You must have a non Irish IP address.

Nope, I'm playing another RTE player prog just now and it's fine.
    21st Cent Rly doesn't pop up when I search for it on the site.

Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

You missed nothing, a typical lazy RTE production - all railways in Ireland consist of is DART commuters, the DART inspired CIE management....blah, blah...no CIE management interviewed, a rather disturbing close up of Todd Andrews face and the only thing missing was Craig Doyle! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a rather disturbing close up of Todd the machete Andrews face
    and they only gave him one mention, and that was in relation to the most stupid short sighted closure in irelands history for which he should have been sacked for, and even they didn't discuss that much, still theirs next week i suppose.
    Craig Doyle!
    oh god please no, i can't take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

a rather disturbing close up of Todd Andrews face

Yeah, I think I'll pass on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

I watched it last night on the RTE player. Not too impressive to be honest, as a first episode I'd expect it to hook me in but it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

Disappointingly poor, but that was no surprise. A three-part series about 21st Century Railways, and it takes an entire episode to set the scene? I watched the programme with non-railway folk, and they found it bland and uninformative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

and the only thing missing was Craig Doyle! :D

Ah FFS! No way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

I did not bother, but one question which I needed to know the answer. What was the pontificating tweed jacket to modern rolling stock close-up shot ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

I did not bother, but one question which I needed to know the answer. What was the pontificating tweed jacket to modern rolling stock close-up shot ratio?
    Naw, they seem to have forgo the tweed jacket for this latest hash on Irish railways, instead ''the expert'' seem to have chosen an antique armchair instead with a nice set of bound books as a backdrop, possibly bound in leather lol, now what message the armchair was sending out, Im not sure.
    Look this series is a waste of time, if you want to get a real clear message of whats going on inside the CIE group, just have a glance at todays Indo, I know, O'Reilly's rag, but according to this article by Paul Melia, CIE is close to going into receivership, its very very serious, there is no money, its bankrupt, you can make all the TV programs you like, with romantic historians sitting in armchairs with the trainset going around in circles in the next room, but the reality is, they have to wake up and smell the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Would it , could it be allowed go into administration/recivership .... And would it save anything by going bust .... ( excess staff , staff pensions ? )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

It worked for GM but our company law is probably significantly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

No way I'd say. Every other semi-state's workforce would know their pension would be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

it just felt like a cheap filler for 30minutes, obviously a result of rte cutbacks, no mention of freight and the decline plus benefits of it which is surprising, very vague in the history of the railway too

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

davidlacey wrote: »
    no mention of freight and the decline plus benefits of it which is surprising,
    They are not really interested, too bothersome for them, shipping company I work for now have work with BNSF, there are railroad companies who do embrace railfreight, Irish Rail is not 1 of them, that is not surprising, but it could be their salvation, the antique armchairs are full of woodworm and sadly nobody can see it, but look closely and you can spot it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

Sell the whole shooting match to DB or SNCF for a euro and give them a free hand.

That's the only logical solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Who says DB and SNCF want it, even for a euro? An organisation which is subject to political interference where every jumped out councillor and fantasist gets space in the papers to demand this or that, with significant industrial relations challenges, a continuing capital requirement and huge pension funding requirements?

But let's do the boards.ie thing and pretend all that can be wished away if you scrunch your eyes and think really hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Sell the whole shooting match to DB or SNCF for a euro and give them a free hand.

That's the only logical solution
    So the Third Amendment wasn't enough (which put European law above Irish law), but we have to hand over railway infrastructure to state railways of other countries in earnest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Watched the second episode tonight with some friends who would in fairness know little about railways outside of All Ireland finals.
    Even they were gobsmacked at the nonsense being trotted out. "The railways saved thousands from starvation during the Famine" to the East vs West, Western Rail Corridor to Sligo and so on. In an ideal fantasy world maybe but here and now?

Should have been shown on some sort of sci-fi/fantasy channel. All pie in the sky stuff unless we discover oil, gold and more in every corner of the country.

Must be the most "mis-named" programme on RTE for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

Watched the second episode of this last night, again with non-railway folk. The non-railway folk may not have a great knowledge of railway history, but they do know general Irish history, which is more than can be said about the programme makers. The non-railway folk also know how to construct sentences, which appears beyond the script writer of the programme. The second episode was worse than the first, which is some going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Has there been anything about the 21st century yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Temp101 wrote: »
    Watched the second episode of this last night, again with non-railway folk. The non-railway folk may not have a great knowledge of railway history, but they do know general Irish history, which is more than can be said about the programme makers. The non-railway folk also know how to construct sentences, which appears beyond the script writer of the programme. The second episode was worse than the first, which is some going.

I'd be a non-railway person and was looking forward to this show, however last night there was so much rehashed stuff I thought I was actually watching a repeat of episode 1. There was one clip where they showed a train going parallel to a canal (not sure where in country that was) and they must have showed that clip about 8 times between the 2 shows so far.

The verdict from me: Not great. Actually wondering what the point of this show is at all? Much preferred the Boithre Iarainn shows on TG4 over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Actually wondering what the point of this show is at all? Much preferred the Boithre Iarainn shows on TG4 over the last few years.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

are those tg4 shows still avsilable to watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

davidlacey wrote: »
    are those tg4 shows still avsilable to watch?

On their website no I don't think so, but there might be an episode or 2 up on youtube. I missed a few of those shows so maybe I'll try to track down a DVD boxset if such a thing exists.

Advertisement