Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

adonai wrote: »
    anyone got update on this?

No problems here.Got the all clear in August.Everything physically feels exactly the way it was before.Actually it's better as we no longer have to worry about other forms of protection.

But no pain bar the few days after the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adonai

ok cheers dude, so nothing like accumulation of sperm in the scrotum etc?

1. I was wondering whether the 'blue balls' syndrome when you don't ejaculate is in fact being caused by the ejaculate liquid or by the sperm liquid in itself (which is being added later to the mentioned ejaculate liquid).

2. how long you needed to wait before you could resume physical excercises? (I'm doing slight weightlifting that's why I wonder)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

this thread is great , saved me writing one myself.
    Gonna book myself in shortly - I've a break around Christmas from work and sports so could be a good time.

Only concern is the mental aspect of being less virile therefore not desiring sex as much. I've no evidence of this really I just thought of this concern myself.

this thread is great , saved me writing one myself.
    Gonna book myself in shortly - I've a break around Christmas from work and sports so could be a good time.

Only concern is the mental aspect of being less virile therefore not desiring sex as much. I've no evidence of this really I just thought of this concern myself.

I don't really think this is a problem as vas don't affect levels of testosterone.. I believe it might be an 'psychological' issue for some lads who maybe believe that being able to impregnate a woman means being a 'bigger' man.. So when they no longer can do it, they feel 'less' capable and lower libido kicks in?

..what a nonsense :)

idk but how many guys do you know that *really* dream about being a father? How many told you that they need to have a child because otherwise their life has no meaning to them? As for me - zero.

This is more of a woman issue. Going even further I'd say I would never leave such important and life-changing decision to anybody else than myself. Heard waaay too many stories about 'forgotten pills', 'condoms breaking' , 'magical pregnancies' and so on...

www. glowm.com/section_view/heading/Long-Term%20Risks%20of%20Vasectomy/item/408#15501 here's a great summary (hence to cut the space after www. ;) data is from 2008)

the only thing that worries me is the chronic pain syndrome, if one is sensitive or produce a lot of semen or had issues of pain in the past- this all needs to be researched and I plan to check with 2 independent doctors just to be sure.

EFFECTS ON SEXUALITY AND SEXUAL FUNCTION

After vasectomy, male sexual and reproductive physiology remains unaffected, aside from the desired change in fertility. The nerves involved in erectile function and ejaculation are not affected, and vasectomy does not lead to impotence or other sexual difficulties. In a large cohort study,11, 12 incidence of impotence was 1.9/1000 man-years (MY) of observation in men with vasectomy and 1.7/1000 MY in men without vasectomy, a difference that was not statistically significant.

As with female sterilization, vasectomy has sometimes been reported to have a positive effect on sexuality, possibly because the chance of unintended pregnancy has been reduced.13, 14, 15 In one large study, the number of men reporting loss of sexual interest was identical in vasectomized versus nonvasectomized men.16

Production of seminal fluid, the major component of semen, by the accessory sex glands is unaffected by vasectomy. Thus, the client will not notice any reduction in the amount of semen ejaculated after vasectomy has been performed. Sperm production continues, even though the sperm's passage through the reproductive tract has been blocked, and sperm are broken down by macrophages in the lumen of the epididymal tubule.4, 17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I had it done a month ago. No loss in sexual desire. Was back cycling to work after a week (on the cautious advice of the doctor). The most annoying thing is the wait for the all clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

ADONI - If you have any worries or concerns, talk to your surgeon and if after the talk if you are still concerned, walk away and don't go through with it.

Life is hard enough without worrying.

wise words my friend, however you can choose between fear of endless pain after something will go wrong - or endless worrying that you will get somebody pregnant (or somebody will take this decision on your behalf, lol) - as I'am 100% that I don't want kids (various reasons)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Has anyone had a 12 month sample Check up.
    My wife's gynie recommended annual checks to make sure the process hadn't reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

Just saw this thread and decided to chime in.

I had my vasectomy done when I was 23 years old (32 now). By far, it's the best decision I've ever made and would do it again immediately. I had the no-scapel (aka punch and cauterize) method (Performed in USA). It takes about 20mins and is an out-patient procedure. Take some mild pain killers if you have pain, but, in general, all it takes is a weekend and you'll probably be fine. I didn't even have any prescription pain killers prescribed.

I've had no pain, averse sexual dysfunction or any accidental reversals. My DR. recommended I get my sperm count checked 6-8 weeks after healing and then again in 6mo and 1yr just to be sure. I did all those things and I'm still shooting' blanks. Couldn't be happier. It's definitely an added bonus on my sexual CV and I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Killser

Hi all
    Huge thanks for all the posts here - I wasnt really worried about the snip, but reading the positive comments here has been fantastic. Heading to Coole for the procedure next week and had a couple of questions for everyone;

Shaving - everything goes, the night before, or the morning of?
    Running/Swimming - back at it after 7 days or more?

Cheers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Killser wrote: »
    Hi all
    Huge thanks for all the posts here - I wasnt really worried about the snip, but reading the positive comments here has been fantastic. Heading to Coole for the procedure next week and had a couple of questions for everyone;

Shaving - everything goes, the night before, or the morning of?
    Running/Swimming - back at it after 7 days or more?

Cheers!!

Best of luck,

Shaving - Just nice and tidy should do the trick. Night before I suppose
    Running / Swimming - 7 days may be ok. Ease your self back gently. The first couple of days just take it very easy. After a week you may still have slight swelling. You wll know yourself if you feel up to a run/swim.

Glebee wrote: »
    Best of luck,

Shaving - Just nice and tidy should do the trick. Night before I suppose
    Running / Swimming - 7 days may be ok. Ease your self back gently. The first couple of days just take it very easy. After a week you may still have slight swelling. You wll know yourself if you feel up to a run/swim.

Shaving depends on your procedure. I only had to shave a small portion of my scrotum. I had the no scalpel method (sometimes called the punch method). Running and swimming, probably a few days unless you have a lot of swelling (depending on procedure). Ask your doctor to be sure.

Thanks Gleebee, dublincheese

Big day is Friday, will let you know how it went!

Thanks Gleebee, dublinercheese

all went ok?

did doctors ever saying about post vasectomy chronic pain syndrome ? somebody asked them about it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Killser wrote: »
    Thanks Gleebee, dublinercheese

Good luck tomorrow.Just make sure to have plenty of frozen peas and neurofen plus on hand.It's great fun going into the pharmacy and after 20 questions telling them you had a vasectomy..More than willing to hand it over then!!!

Another great thing is depending on whos doing it is the aftercare sheet.On mine it had "frequent ejaculations " are necessary for proper aftercare.Had my wife pestered and had the excuse that it was doctors orders!!!

Also dont forget feet up on the couch until Monday at least, Tuesday if you can milk it.....;)

Sittin on me arse now after the job - cant get over how simple it was, and I ve virtually no pain at all. Had physio during the week and had some dry needling done, that was far more sore than anything in the snip!

Wasn't all that bothered sittin round, difficult with a 3.5 year old and a 10-month old.

Gotta say though, the sedation was mental fun, I don't remember a single thing about the procedure, haven't had a beer buzz like it for ages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

adonai wrote: »
    all went ok?

did doctors ever saying about post vasectomy chronic pain syndrome ? somebody asked them about it?

Adonai,

Given your postings over the past six months, have you a SPECIFIC worry? If so, talk to your doctor. You will not get consolation and the answer you want here, as you cannot seek specific medical advice from members.

If you have a worry about the procedure, then either talk to your doctor or forget about it.

You seem to be infatuated with 'post vasectomy pain syndrome'. Have you met someone who has/had it, or is it a theoretical worry, or would you simply rather that you OH took all responsibility for contraception?

if it is this, have your spoken with OH?

Wise words mate, but my thinking goes like that

-doctors doing it are often also the ones earning a lot of money from it
    -doctors not doing it (GP's and all) are often not having enough information on the subject
    -by asking people that have done it in random places, such as on forums like boards.ie I can see how many people approx. reported any kind of problems

ofc I am happy that this seems much lower than I suspected and I will be doing my booking soon :)

• Advertisement

Has anybody on here ever had any issue? I dont think so but I stand to be corrected. Ive had no issues or anybody ive spoken to who had it done never had any problems.

The internet is full of medical horror stories ready to scare..

I could not recommend the procedure highly enough once you and your wife / partner have decided that no more kids planned. As for getting it done as a yong age (early to late twenties) jusy because you done like children, not so sure of the reason..

Compared to the female procedure is a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I got it done in November. I am now nearing 2 months in and I am still in pain. I have been to the doc a couple of times but all i hear is "give it time".

I have a dull ache in my left testicle. I have pains in my hips. It seems to come and go. I have had a couple of good weeks and then the pain gradually came back. Perhaps I am over doing things. But the doc doesnt seem to have much answers - just wait and see.

I would highly reccommend against it. Its severly affecting my life and I cannot stop thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thinking of getting this done next month and have been checking out the options.

After reading the thread here and the links posted on the previous page, and being based in Dublin myself I'm thinking of vasectomyireland.ie - has anyone had it done there? Much of a waiting list?

I know this is subjective, but as someone who almost never sets foot inside a doctor's surgery this "no needle, no scalpel" almost painless procedure sounds ideal.. or is it just marketing spin. IS it the most effective/best procedure to have at this point? It says as well you can drive yourself home after which would be a plus as I'd be going in on my own

Thanks for any feedback guys :)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Thinking of getting this done next month and have been checking out the options.

After reading the thread here and the links posted on the previous page, and being based in Dublin myself I'm thinking of vasectomyireland.ie - has anyone had it done there? Much of a waiting list?

I know this is subjective, but as someone who almost never sets foot inside a doctor's surgery this "no needle, no scalpel" almost painless procedure sounds ideal.. or is it just marketing spin. IS it the most effective/best procedure to have at this point? It says as well you can drive yourself home after which would be a plus as I'd be going in on my own

I had the no scalpel method. See my previous reply in this thread on page 13 (can't post links).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

vasectomyireland.ie operate out of Molesworth clinic..a DENTAL clinic....eh no thanks

Zipppy wrote: »
    vasectomyireland.ie operate out of Molesworth clinic..a DENTAL clinic....eh no thanks

That's an added bonus--get your teeth sorted at the same time as your snip.

Maybe they should do a groupon special of 2(procedures) for the price of one!!!

I had the old tried and trusted method.2 small incisions.Absolutely painless and was able to drive home.
    The anaesthetic that you get they could have cut it off and I wouldn't have known it was that easy.
    Im like yourself--complete phobia of needles (except tattoo ones) I cant even go to the dentist without sedation(seriously Valium FTW) but I found the procedure so easy that Id highly recommend it.

well I read the post by 'guest101help
    Guest' and didn't panic, so no worries ;D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Vasectomy sounds like a bad idea. Post vasectomy pain syndrome is very common due to the pressure building up in the blanked of vas deferens. An alternative method is to leave the proximal end of the tube open to relieve the pressure. The downside of this is that it allows sperm out into the scrotum which then turn into granulomous cysts due to the immune system trying to destroy them. Harmless, but not pleasant I would imagine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-vasectomy_pain_syndrome

The sooner RISUG / Vasalgel becomes available here the better. It would be far better - just as effective and, importantly, reversible too. Also there is no cutting of the tubes or anything that would cause backpressure. The sperm can still pass through as normal but the gel coating on the tube deactivates the sperm so they can't fertilise an egg. It's a brilliant idea. Invented in India.

• Advertisement

True that but they just started to test it... if we are lucky might get live in several years.. if only!

Too uncertain and all for me to wait that long.

ofc we are talking about open-end only.

re granulomous cysts I didnt heard this happening that often either. If you look to the sources on wiki article you can see they use citations from as far as 1996...

Advertisement