Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paleo diet

Options
  • 23-11-2014 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi hope ye are all well this evening

Ok so after Xmas in the new year I'm hoping to start following the paleo diet has anyone followed this?
    I've both pat divillys book seems ok
    Any advice etc be great fully helpful
    My biggest things is it expensive? Where to buy can I buy mostly in lidl or Aldi thanks
    Also should I do a detox like clean 9 first thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You don't need to do a detox. They're nonsense. Your body is more than capable of filtering out and removing toxins.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

You don't need to do a detox. They're nonsense. Your body is more than capable of filtering out and removing toxins.

Would the detox not help get rid of the sugar cravings? I'm only asking because every time I fall off the wagon I'm advised to go on detox for that reason and i'd love not to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

Would the detox not help get rid of the sugar cravings? I'm only asking because every time I fall off the wagon I'm advised to go on detox for that reason and i'd love not to :)

The only thing that will get rid of sugar cravings is time and will power.

As you start any low carbohydrate diet, like the Paleo Diet, your body will crave the carbohydrates that you have reduced/removed. After the first 5 to 7 days it will become easier as your body starts to use fat for energy instead of the carbohydrates that it has become used to using.

Woodbrook80, there's nothing expensive about going Paleo. It's just meat and veg that you can get anywhere, unless you start making the fancy stuff that they show off to sell their fancy books

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If someone tells you to detox, they're a spoofer. You don't need to do a diet to detox. That's what your organs are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

BTW paleo doesn't have to be low carb. You can eat plenty of sweet potato

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hi Woodbrook80. What do you plan on eating for brekkie, lunch and dinner (or whichever meal plan you use)? That would better help to inform where you'll probably need to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Read everything you can from the following: Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf, Tim Noakes, Gary Taubes. If you view it as a diet it will be very hard to stick to. You must view it as a lifestyle. Detox is bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bruno do you have to drag every thread off topic going on about Taubes, Wolf and the boys......oh right..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Mellor wrote: »
    Bruno do you have to drag every thread off topic going on about Taubes, Wolf and the boys......oh right..... ;)

A very ironic and predictable post. You've actually gone off topic. Was your post more helpful to op than mine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

OP Paleo means a lot of different things to a lot of people.

The idea that we should eat like our ancient ancestors is all well and good but the food has changed somewhat over the last 100000 years or so!

Having spent time with huntet gather tribe in Africa and also Native Indians in northern Alaska the one thing they have in common was they moved a lot and food was often hard to come by. Natural, additive free etc etc but very scarce at time.

In your modern supermarket choose from meat, eggs, veg, dairy ( if it suits you), nuts, seeds, fruit and the more active you are add extra carbs (potato, rice etc). If bread/wheat doesn't cause you issue eat in moderation. Cut it out for a month or so will force you to diversify from our tunnel vision with sandwiches as only meal type and it'll help keep diet interesting/more sustainable. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Ok so after Xmas in the new year I'm hoping to start following the paleo diet has anyone followed this?
    My biggest things is it expensive? Where to buy can I buy mostly in lidl or Aldi thanks

The average paleo diet would be expensive but I'm sure you'll be able to get sample menus that aren't as expensive.

Outside of the realms of poisoning treatment and some drug addictions (not sugar) detox is a meaningless word. Every time you use the toilet you 'detox'.

You have to ask yourself why you chose the paleo diet.

Is it to lose weight? Because there are easier and better ways to do it.

Is it to eat like people did in palaeolithic times? Because foods that were around then have been bred beyond recognition through artificial selection.

Is it because people in the palaeolithic didn't have many of the 'diseases of civilisation' that are around today? Because they never contracted these disease by dying too young.

Is it because we are not 'designed' to eat modern day foods? Because we are able to digest these foods perfectly fine. The Irish has one of the lowest incidences of lactose intolerance in the world. Humans became top of the food chain because we can adapt more than any other creature.

Is it because you wanna be part of an elitist sub-culture, privy to information the general populace cannot grasp? Because then it's the perfect diet.

Perhaps give your ultimate goal and see if the paleo diet is your best option for getting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It's not a diet!It is a lifestyle. If you approach it like a diet I don't think it will be successful tbh.

I think Pat Divilly recipes are a good start. Derval O'Rourke's new cookery book is excellent as well. I also use http://www.irishpaleogirl.ie/ and http://deliciouslyella.com/ for recipes.

The key to cutting sugar out and leading a healthy lifestyle is preparation, not detoxing. I do a big shop every Sunday, and spend about two hours on a Sunday preparing my lunch for the week. I bake healthy bread which I cut up and freeze in slices. I make soup and freeze that for my lunches. I make some healthy granola bars and other nutty, yummy snacks to eat during the week. The deliciously ella raw cacao coconut balls being my fave. If you have delicious, satiating food then you will not crave sugar and will feel,full and healthy.

I save money because I bring my lunch with me every day and am never tempted to buy snacks etc. The only things in my shopping basket are vegetables, fruit (I don't need to lose weight so I add them in), nuts, meat and herbs. There are no expensive sauces and other supermarket crap.

I meant to add the only thing that maybe expensive about paleo diet is kitchen equipment. Last year I invested in a decent food processor and blender. I can honestly say though they have completely changed my eating habits. It is so easy to make quick, natural, healthy sauces when you have a decent food processor. Well worth the investment, and you can buy cheap ones in Argos and Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Gosh thanks for the replies
    Just want to ask should I give up dairy or not?
    The main reason for going paleo really is I'm hoping to get pregnant! I'd like to eat/drink as unprocessed food as possible but want to keep up dairy like natural yoghurt etc thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

I would definitely talk to a GP before adopting something like paleo if you intend to get pregnant. Fat loss might not be desirable, and nor might high protein low carb be a good idea. It would be better to seek professional advice.

The main reason for going paleo really is I'm hoping to get pregnant! I'd like to eat/drink as unprocessed food as possible but want to keep up dairy like natural yoghurt etc thanks

Paleo diets don't make room for dairy, if someone tells you you can have dairy on a paleo diet, it's not paleo despite what they say.

Sounds like you have your diet sorted? Eat and drink as little unprocessed food as possible, unless you are lactose intolerant there is no reason in the wide world why you wouldn't maintain dairy in your diet.

A healthy diet doesn't need a label, just eat healthy. Keep the calories in check and you'll be fine. 'Diets' work by creating a situation where it is difficult to over consume calories (don't eat after 6, low carb, liquid diets etc.), the main thing is to keep calories at a respectable level. High fat diets have been known to cause people to eat 50% less when not counting calories, nothing magic about the 'diet' it's just a way to keep calories low without counting them.

You should probably do some research on the effects of low carb and/low calorie diets during pregnancy. I wouldn't like to advise undertaking either...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Thanks for all the advice I'm going to try with and without dairy thanks :)
    See how it goes

Thanks for all the advice I'm going to try with and without dairy thanks :)
    See how it goes

As others have said on here I would strongly, strongly recommend talking to your gp before cutting dairy out of your diet. Women need to increase their levels of calcium if pregnant or trying to get pregnant.

panda100 wrote: »
    As others have said on here I would strongly, strongly recommend talking to your gp before cutting dairy out of your diet. Women need to increase their levels of calcium if pregnant or trying to get pregnant.

Calorie for calorie high fat/low carb diets are worse for health markers too. A lot of people don't like to hear that but it's worth pointing out, seeing as there is more than one person going to be directly effected by your dietary choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

panda100 wrote: »

Thankfully someone mentioned calcium intake here

This is something often overlooked in many Paleo diets. Don't just look at the macro's you also need to look at what changes are made at a micronutrient level when making these changes.

Don't just look at the focus variable you are changing but look at the knock on effect that has on other aspects of diet.

If you are going down the non-dairy route aim to get calcium from other sources or supplementation if needs be. Calcium plays a major role in muscle contractions within the body so deficiencies can have major impact on quality of life.

Consult a professional before making dramatic changes especially when pregnant or have any other medical factors to take into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Calorie for calorie high fat/low carb diets are worse for health markers too. A lot of people don't like to hear that but it's worth pointing out, seeing as there is more than one person going to be directly effected by your dietary choices.

Thats simply not true in my experience. Since swapping a low fat high carb diet for a high fat low carb diet my triglycerides have halfed and my HDL doubled. Lost weight, more energy, no headaches, blood pressure is great.

Not only that, but the scientific evidence agrees with my experience and is slowly changing the paradigm. Here is a link to some scientific examples - you should find direct links to the published studies through them....

http :// www .thefatemperor. com/blog/

http :// www. dietdoctor. com/saturated-fat-and-butter-from-enemy-to-friend

Thats simply not true in my experience. Since swapping a low fat high carb diet for a high fat low carb diet my triglycerides have halfed and my HDL doubled. Lost weight, more energy, no headaches, blood pressure is great.

Not only that, but the scientific evidence agrees with my experience and is slowly changing the paradigm. Here is a link to some scientific examples - you should find direct links to the published studies through them....

http :// www .thefatemperor. com/blog/

http :// www. dietdoctor. com/saturated-fat-and-butter-from-enemy-to-friend

I said calorie for calorie, if you lost weight the you obviously ingested less calories. So you consumed less calories, lost weight and your health markers improved, nothing to do with high fat, it's the lower calories.

I went to your first link and it was just reams of blogs so I wasn't going to search through it and guess the study you're talking about. Could you just provide the studies your talking about? Not doing so leaves it awkward for me and it suggests that you haven't read it yourself, even do you are attempting to use it to back up your claim. It's not really on to expect someone else to read it when you haven't bothered either...

Congrats on the weight loss and all the good stuff!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I'm not the biggest fan of paleo but you don't have to eat dairy to get calcium in your diet:

http://greatist.com/health/18-surprising-dairy-free-sources-calcium

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

I said calorie for calorie, if you lost weight the you obviously ingested less calories. So you consumed less calories, lost weight and your health markers improved, nothing to do with high fat, it's the lower calories.

I went to your first link and it was just reams of blogs so I wasn't going to search through it and guess the study you're talking about. Could you just provide the studies your talking about? Not doing so leaves it awkward for me and it suggests that you haven't read it yourself, even do you are attempting to use it to back up your claim. It's not really on to expect someone else to read it when you haven't bothered either...

Congrats on the weight loss and all the good stuff!

Hey generic2012, here is a more direct link to the articles: www . dietdoctor .com /science
    The top section lists scientific studies in relation to health markers and the second section in relation to weight loss. Interestingly enough, there is a study whereby a higher calorie higher fat diet was more successful for weightloss than a lower calorie lower fat diet (article number 1, Shai et al). Hope that helps explain my stance better.

To come back on topic - if the OP has an intolerance to dairy then by all means they should limit/eliminate it, but otherwise I see no reason why they should not consume it. I think high quality dairy could be an important and healthy component of a diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

Hi! Iv been following the paleo diet since October! Initially i thought it would be another diet i wouldn't stick to. Really you have to be doing it for the right reasons though. Paleo isnt a diet its a way of life. Iv never felt healthier or more energetic. Initially it is hard cutting out what ur body is used to like sugars and carbs, but my cravings wore off within 3-5 days.

As far as detoxing goes its not absolutely necessary. I got a nutri bullet at xmas because im very bad with my veg intake and this is a good way to get those nutrients. Id rather invest in something like that than fork out for on one of those Detox plans being sold. I done my own little detox purely to motivate myself and because i was feeling pretty bloated and worn our after all the xmas festivities! Now i have at least one juice a day usually with breakfast!

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

I started the Paleo diet about 3 weeks ago and I've more or less stuck to it...( the odd bottle of gluten free beer on a Saturday night and a few crisps) I've been quite surprised how well i've kept to it in the main. There a plenty of Paleo versions of almost every meal.
    I intend to keep it up. Pat Divilly's book is very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm on one of many paleo forums (only women on that one) and last year alone 4 of us had babies (myself included) or got pregnant :D that's out of 30 regular members. my advice is to take vitamin D. one of the couples on there tried to conceive for 6years, spent tons of money on fancy treatments until she was suggested to get vit. D levels tested on that forum it became clear she was very deficient, same with her husband. and bang! she had her baby daughter last november. I didn't plan to have a baby but my very healthy diet must have made me very susceptible to motherhood :D my 6 months son is sitting at the dinner table at the moment munching on the piece of steak and veg stir-fry :D

ps. paleo isn't low carb diet if you don't want it to be. and it's definitely NOT high protein diet - this drives me nuts everytime I see it.

Advertisement