Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice With Diet/Eating Schedule For Weight Loss

Options
  • 23-11-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've recently started back doing the Insanity workout programme that I had success with a couple of years ago, but I know that diet also obviously has a hell of a lot to do with getting results too so I'm looking for some advice from those much more knowledgeable than myself. It was a bit easier for myself a couple of years but my circumstances have (fortunately) changed now and I'm out and about working during the day as opposed to being able to knock up anything at home, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below I've posted variations of what I would typically eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner across a given week.

Breakfast:
    This is typically always 2 weetabix (low fat milk) and a banana plus a cup of tea with a tiny bit of sugar in it. Sometimes I'd just grab a banana on the way out the door for my commute.

Lunch:
    Lunch varies from:

- 2 rounds of sandwiches (brown bread) usually containing either tuna, mayo and sweetcorn; roast ham and ballymaloe relish; pork steak, stuffing and mayo; or chicken, stuffing and mayo.
    - The odd time a large brown baguette roll from the local deli with ham and cheese; sausages and ketchup; or chicken fillet.
    - Soup and a small bread roll

Dinner:
    Dinner varies from:

- Roast chicken, 2 scoops of potato, stuffing, a portion of carrots and peas.
    - Roast beef, 2 scoops of potato, a portion of carrots and peas.
    - Pork steak, 2 scoops of potato, a portion of carrots and peas.
    - Steak, 2 scoops of potato, a portion of carrots and peas.
    - Chicken breast, curry/sweet and sour sauce, pasta/noodles, a couple of poppadoms/portion of naan bread.
    - Spaghetti bolognaise or lasagne with a portion of focaccia bread.
    - Once a week then it'd be something pretty crap (or should I say even more crap :pac:?) like oven chips.

Now I know I need to cop on with regards to lunch especially and focus on preparation and organisation of better food, but baring in mind I don't like veg/salad so would love to hear of some ideas to improve my lunches. I struggle with it as I get lunch around 12:30pm-1pm and then don't get home until 7pm, by which time I have to exercise before eating my dinner, so often I've gone 8 hours or so without eating and I am starving. I know this needs to change and I need to come up with a better eating schedule for want of a better phrase where I eat better and more spaced out throughout the day, hence the eating schedule part of my thread title, so what way would you lads suggest going about it?

I appreciate any advice/help, thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Add you the caloric content of that list you provided. Estimate your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) using a google search. It is important that you are honest with both parts. If you want to lose weight your TDEE will have to be higher than caloric intake, if it isn't you're either going to have to either eat less or exercise me to get it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I'm no expert here but from your list of foods here is that helping you at all? I'm currently 133lbs at 40 years of age. I dropped my weight over a length of time not some crash course diet. I wasn't in anyway overweight according to the BMI calculator i was still in a good area for my age/height/weight but felt like shedding a few stone. Your diet seems crazy to me unhealthy food and no idea of the most important part your portion size? You can still be full but researching foods for nutritional benefits is a must. I wouldn't go into detail because i'd be typing all day. And if all these meals are ready prepared then i'm really dubious.I actually work 5 days a week but ditched the car for my feet a 20 minute walk to work and up early on my excercise bike for 20 minutes 7 days a week (and yes probably excessive). Even looking at your breakfast you have Weetabix you could replace that with Organic Oats at a big saving? Sorry those sandwich fillers are vile and you say you use brown bread to ease your consequence. This one site alone lists all the foods and healthy alternatives you can incorporate into your diet.http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
    I'm only giving advice here and sorry to say oven chips are the devils food...

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    I'm no expert here but from your list of foods here is that helping you at all? I'm currently 133lbs at 40 years of age. I dropped my weight over a length of time not some crash course diet. I wasn't in anyway overweight according to the BMI calculator i was still in a good area for my age/height/weight but felt like shedding a few stone. Your diet seems crazy to me unhealthy food and no idea of the most important part your portion size? You can still be full but researching foods for nutritional benefits is a must. I wouldn't go into detail because i'd be typing all day. And if all these meals are ready prepared then i'm really dubious.I actually work 5 days a week but ditched the car for my feet a 20 minute walk to work and up early on my excercise bike for 20 minutes 7 days a week (and yes probably excessive). Even looking at your breakfast you have Weetabix you could replace that with Organic Oats at a big saving? Sorry those sandwich fillers are vile and you say you use brown bread to ease your consequence. This one site alone lists all the foods and healthy alternatives you can incorporate into your diet.http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
    I'm only giving advice here and sorry to say oven chips are the devils food...

Why organic oats? and whats wrong with oven chips?

Why organic oats? and whats wrong with oven chips?
    Well for under €2 i think http://www.flahavans.ie/index.php/site-structure/main-menu/our-products/porridge-oats/organic/flahavans-irish-organic-porridge-oats-1kg/160
    Weetabix are nearly €3 for the smallest pack. And you really need to ask whats wrong with Oven chips? I'm being sincere here Google + Frozen Oven Chips there's a nights reading.

The Oats are €2.65 actually.

• Advertisement

Well for under €2 i think http://www.flahavans.ie/index.php/site-structure/main-menu/our-products/porridge-oats/organic/flahavans-irish-organic-porridge-oats-1kg/160
    Weetabix are nearly €3 for the smallest pack. And you really need to ask whats wrong with Oven chips? I'm being sincere here Google + Frozen Oven Chips there's a nights reading.

Sorry, I thought you were implying that organic was healthier. I searched for frozen oven chips and came across a newsper article titled "Frozen chips 'are a cause of cancer'", the sensationalist click bait was reeled in with the subheading 'Frozen chips could be a cause of cancer, according to new claims."

This piece of typical 'scientific' journalism was based on quite a few assumptions. They're basing their claims on the assumption that acrylamide is carcinogenic. This was based on a mouse study, where acrylamide was found to increase risk of cancer once levels of ingestion reached 900 times the levels that people are typically exposed to. They also based the amount of acrylamide formed in chips on complex mathematical models (predictions) rather than measurements. Neither the FDA or WHO have called for any changes to manufacturing or processing due to acrylamide.

Sorry, I thought you were implying that organic was healthier. I searched for frozen oven chips and came across a newsper article titled "Frozen chips 'are a cause of cancer'", the sensationalist click bait was reeled in with the subheading 'Frozen chips could be a cause of cancer, according to new claims."

This piece of typical 'scientific' journalism was based on quite a few assumptions. They're basing their claims on the assumption that acrylamide is carcinogenic. This was based on a mouse study, where acrylamide was found to increase risk of cancer once levels of ingestion reached 900 times the levels that people are typically exposed to. They also based the amount of acrylamide formed in chips on complex mathematical models (predictions) rather than measurements. Neither the FDA or WHO have called for any changes to manufacturing or processing due to acrylamide.

We all have our opinion on foodstuffs. My diet is actually robust not a grape and a leaf of lettuce but i believe in boxing clever with your diet. The poster has no fish in there diet and i don't count canned tuna a weekly intake of it. My main point being that the whole diet is still a calorific train crash really and the foods in it are pretty poor nutritionally. Research and more research can lead to better weight loss. Nuts are a godsend for a quick snack or nibble i could go on for hours actually. Seeing sausages/cheese/mayo in your diet all foods that add to a waist line not decrease it.

We all have our opinion on foodstuffs. My diet is actually robust not a grape and a leaf of lettuce but i believe in boxing clever with your diet. The poster has no fish in there diet and i don't count canned tuna a weekly intake of it. My main point being that the whole diet is still a calorific train crash really and the foods in it are pretty poor nutritionally. Research and more research can lead to better weight loss. Nuts are a godsend for a quick snack or nibble i could go on for hours actually. Seeing sausages/cheese/mayo in your diet all foods that add to a waist line not decrease it.

OK.

I just wanted to clarify for OP that there is nothing healthier about eating organic foods and that oven chips aren't the devil's food. Just trying to reduce confusion for OP, nothing else.

OK.

I just wanted to clarify for OP that there is nothing healthier about eating organic foods and that oven chips aren't the devil's food. Just trying to reduce confusion for OP, nothing else.

Actually the main benefit from Organic food is the reduction of pesticides and such for grown and reared products and animals. It may not add anything nutritionally but it has advantages. An example the difference between Organic Salmon and that godawful farmed is like night and day.

Actually the main benefit from Organic food is the reduction of pesticides and such for grown and reared products and animals. It may not add anything nutritionally but it has advantages. An example the difference between Organic Salmon and that godawful farmed is like night and day.

But those pesticides are perfectly healthy. Organic foods often have far more dangerous chemicals used to kill pests. If it doesn't add anything nutritionally what are the advantages you talk about?

And I thought you were suggesting organic oats for the price? Organic foods are ridiculously expensive for no added benefit to the consumer and they are often worse for the environment.

I'm pretty sure organic salmon is farmed salmon so I don't get your last point?

• Advertisement

But those pesticides are perfectly healthy. Organic foods often have far more dangerous chemicals used to kill pests. If it doesn't add anything nutritionally what are the advantages you talk about?

And I thought you were suggesting organic oats for the price? Organic foods are ridiculously expensive for no added benefit to the consumer and they are often worse for the environment.

I'm pretty sure organic salmon is farmed salmon so I don't get your last point?
    Again we are locking horns here. Yes more expensive but "and they are often worse for the environment" there's hardly any evidence to back that up. Maybe Organic farming needs more land for less production but saying its worse for the earth is wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YD9KDE92J8 this is farmed salmon and your claiming Organic is far more dangerous and yes its farmed v wild not Organic i know but i use it as an example of intensively produced food. I'm not replying any more to this thread because i'll hit someone at work today i'm getting so mad:o To the original poster good luck with your diet hope you loose the weight.One final note please don't say Organic food is ridiculously overpriced check even supermarkets for prices you may be surprised. http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=organic I shop mainly at this retailer can't speak for others but its not ridiculous really.

Again we are locking horns here. Yes more expensive but "and they are often worse for the environment" there's hardly any evidence to back that up. Maybe Organic farming needs more land for less production but saying its worse for the earth is wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YD9KDE92J8 this is farmed salmon and your claiming Organic is far more dangerous and yes its farmed v wild not Organic i know but i use it as an example of intensively produced food. I'm not replying any more to this thread because i'll hit someone at work today i'm getting so mad:o To the original poster good luck with your diet hope you loose the weight.One final note please don't say Organic food is ridiculously overpriced check even supermarkets for prices you may be surprised. http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=organic I shop mainly at this retailer can't speak for others but its not ridiculous really.

Jesus, no need to get mad! It's just a conversation. The fact that it needs more land is worse for the earth. Organic farming needs more water per unit produced and I have ethical issues with not allowing the treatment of sick animals with antibiotics, but maybe you don't. I never said organic salmon was dangerous, I just said that it can't be 'better' than farmed salmon as it is farmed.

Organically produced milk, cereals, and pork have higher GHG emissions per unit and organically produced foods in general will lend themselves more to nitrogen leaching, NO2 and NH3 emissions, and eutrophication and acidification potential. Claims of better taste and nutrition have been tested
    and never proven too. So you may be the statistical outlier who notices a difference in tste but it's irresponsible to advise someone else to eat organic when it's often worse for the environment (at the very least land and water use), cruel for animals, more expensive and of no benefit in taste or nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've lost a couple of stone at this stage, but not claiming to be an expert, just going to say what's worked for me so far...

I used the sticky's at the top to work out my calorie requirements, and then deducted from that to give my target (I went for a 500 calorie deficit).

Track your actual calorie in take. Be honest, and weigh everything rather than guess the portions. I use My Fitness Pal (in android, you can overwrite their (ridiculously low) target calories with your own) to track. After that, you'll see you get much more food for equivalent calories by going less processed!

I find honesty about portion size and calories actually helps me make healthier choices. And making your own lunches and dinners allows you to do that and have control.

My diet definitely still needs work - I still eat far too much sugar and the whole not all calories being equal is playing on my mind. However, I'm not sure I completely see the need to go to the extremes that some on here suggest. I mean no offence by that, I'm sure they are right and I feel I've learned a lot lurking on here, but there's a danger of scaring people off from healthier choices by always focusing on the healthiest choice.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've lost a couple of stone at this stage, but not claiming to be an expert, just going to say what's worked for me so far...

I used the sticky's at the top to work out my calorie requirements, and then deducted from that to give my target (I went for a 500 calorie deficit).

Track your actual calorie in take. Be honest, and weigh everything rather than guess the portions. I use My Fitness Pal (in android, you can overwrite their (ridiculously low) target calories with your own) to track. After that, you'll see you get much more food for equivalent calories by going less processed!

I find honesty about portion size and calories actually helps me make healthier choices. And making your own lunches and dinners allows you to do that and have control.

My diet definitely still needs work - I still eat far too much sugar and the whole not all calories being equal is playing on my mind. However, I'm not sure I completely see the need to go to the extremes that some on here suggest. I mean no offence by that, I'm sure they are right and I feel I've learned a lot lurking on here, but there's a danger of scaring people off from healthier choices by always focusing on the healthiest choice.
    Well said (I lied my last post now). Like you said keeping track of your diet is a must know your calorie intake and more importantly know with your every day lifestyle what you can consume each day. If your active your can up your calorie intake each day i think i'm around 2500 but read above for my daily routine. There's sites and even phone apps to help you along the way. If sugar is a problem maybe honey or maple syrup for an alternative not those sweetener thingies. I don't eat any sugary food now by that i mean zero cakes/chocolates and such. Again maybe high cocoa solid chocolate is ok in moderation. Actually there's a sweetener from plant in South America that's good saw it on TV. Anyways gl.

Macy0161 wrote: »

Perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Perfection

Hardly. The poster just said they eat too much sugar. There is no perfection when it comes to diet. They count calories and weigh food so it's perfect! It works for them - that's great but it's not perfect. Will they stick to it? What will happen when they stop counting and weighing? There should be no need to weigh food if you are eating the right foods. The brain (appestat) will control how much you eat.

OP if you have time at weekend you could make a big pot of curry. It could do for lunches during the week. Veg is a lot nicer with butter and some spices like nutmeg etc. Salad is a lot nicer with for example cold chicken and a nice dressing but make sure it's healthy / homemade. A good cookbook would be handy. The best and handiest breakfast would be something including eggs (bacon) or Greek yogurt with berries and cinnamon. Perhaps add in a coffee with cream / butter and coconut oil. This breakfast should keep the hunger away until at least lunchtime.

Bruno26 wrote: »
    OP if you have time at weekend you could make a big pot of curry. It could do for lunches during the week. Veg is a lot nicer with butter and some spices like nutmeg etc. Salad is a lot nicer with for example cold chicken and a nice dressing but make sure it's healthy / homemade. A good cookbook would be handy. The best and handiest breakfast would be something including eggs (bacon) or Greek yogurt with berries and cinnamon. Perhaps add in a coffee with cream / butter and coconut oil. This breakfast should keep the hunger away until at least lunchtime.

My breakfast 7 days a week no acceptations is Porridge/Chia Seeds soaked over night together. 1 banana/1 apple/blueberries/red-grapes/strawberries/1 orange/and either a mango or pineapple both of which will last for 2 mornings. Toppings are homemade apple stew with no added sugar if its tart i don't care with plenty of cinnamon and gloves whole and ground so simple to make will last up to a week in the fridge plus fage greek yogurt amazing stuff.You say eggs that's fine but how there cooked matters and as far as bacon i'd pass on it for breakfast.Cream/butter thing i don't understand that at all.

My breakfast 7 days a week no acceptations is Porridge/Chia Seeds soaked over night together. 1 banana/1 apple/blueberries/red-grapes/strawberries/1 orange/and either a mango or pineapple both of which will last for 2 mornings. Toppings are homemade apple stew with no added sugar if its tart i don't care with plenty of cinnamon and gloves whole and ground so simple to make will last up to a week in the fridge plus fage greek yogurt amazing stuff.You say eggs that's fine but how there cooked matters and as far as bacon i'd pass on it for breakfast.Cream/butter thing i don't understand that at all.

I believe eggs (bacon occasionally) / Greek yogurt is one of the best breakfast choices- much better than porridge. It doesn't matter what way eggs are cooked. Omelette / hard boiled etc all great. Cream / butter in coffee helps with satiation. I used to eat porridge- always got hungry mid morning. Now rarely hungry before lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Bruno26 wrote: »
    I believe eggs (bacon occasionally) / Greek yogurt is one of the best breakfast choices- much better than porridge. It doesn't matter what way eggs are cooked. Omelette / hard boiled etc all great. Cream / butter in coffee helps with satiation. I used to eat porridge- always got hungry mid morning. Now rarely hungry before lunch.

Same situation myself - used to eat porridge and I was starving an hour later.. these days I have bacon and eggs most mornings and it keeps me full for 8 hours.. I tried the bulletproof coffee but stopped for two reasons, firstly I felt no benefits and secondly, I prefer the taste of regular coffee.

• Advertisement

Same situation myself - used to eat porridge and I was starving an hour later.. these days I have bacon and eggs most mornings and it keeps me full for 8 hours.. I tried the bulletproof coffee but stopped for two reasons, firstly I felt no benefits and secondly, I prefer the taste of regular coffee.

Ye same for me- usually take cream and coconut oil in the coffee as I prefer the taste.

Advertisement