Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weights and cycling

• 15-07-2014 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

I've been doing stronglifts now for the last 7 months and made good strength gains. My original goal was just to get big, and I did, but I never got rid of the small belly I have. As I was bulking this never really bothered me as I was making good strength gains.

I now have to cycle to work from now on. I'm talking 9 miles each way. There's no way I'll be able to cycle 18 miles a day five days a week and then do heavy squats and deadlifts when I get home (I've tried, my legs are just to tired after the cycle).

As I said at first my aim was to get big. Now I would like to lose the fat on my body and get ripped while keeping the muscles I've built.

Should I keep doing weights with my upper body and leave the legs for cycling only?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

If the gym is open early in the morning ,go to it on leg days before you cycle to work or train your legs on the days you dont cycle.
    Or if that's not still possible ,use the leg extension machine,leg curl machine ,add some lunges and calf raises.
    That's what i'd do.
    After a few weeks your legs will start to adapt to the cycling and they wont be as tierd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

don't cycle as fast as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

i am doing german body comp program and hit the gym early in the morning before work. cycle to and from work (about 10km in total a day) and throw a run in after the evening cycle too or 40mins on a stepper.

had a similar problem to you, but now with the right diet, i am adding and keeping some decent muscle but attaining some leanness in the areas i want, e.g. belly!

I must stress I have really taken my diet seriously for the first time since i started training 6 years ago and think it plays a massive part in these results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I don't actually go the gym, I do all my weight work at home. I've to be in work for 8am and cant get up earlier to do weights.

I'll have to adjust my diet as well as my plan will be different now, but I want to figure out what I should do first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

One option is that you could switch to a program that only has you squatting once a week.

A second is that you could take a week or two to work on squatting with really good form and not worry about going heavy. By then you might be more used to the cycling and it won't affect your training so much.

It could also be that it's just time for you to move on from starting strength.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I would also eat the cals you are "spending" on cycling. It could just mean an extra glass of milk / bowl of oats on weekdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Im going to cycle and then concentrate on upper body only when I'm home. After a few weeks when my legs have adapted Ill try do the full starting strength again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

don't cycle as fast as you can.

Can we restrict ourselves to making realistic recommendations, please?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

LG1234 wrote: »
    I now have to cycle to work from now on. I'm talking 9 miles each way. There's no way I'll be able to cycle 18 miles a day five days a week

If 18 miles a day takes you 1.5 hours in total and you're 95KG you'll be burning 1140 calories a day which will help with losing the belly!!

Check out http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/cycling-calories-burned-calculator

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

BenThere wrote: »
    If 18 miles a day takes you 1.5 hours in total and you're 95KG you'll be burning 1140 calories a day which will help with losing the belly!!

Check out http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/cycling-calories-burned-calculator

Ben

don't you plateau though? as in you get so used to cycling that it is not as effective due to muscle memory etc? so you wouldnt burn that many calories every day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

guile4582 wrote: »
    don't you plateau though? as in you get so used to cycling that it is not as effective due to muscle memory etc? so you wouldnt burn that many calories every day?

Plateu'ing is beyond my pay grade I'm afraid. You may get fitter and feel like it takes less effort to go from A to B but ultimately it still takes X amount of energy to move 95KG 18 miles and you're the only engine so whether you are feeling the strain or not you're still producing that much energy and (if my amateur theory holds water) still burning that many calories.* The only reduction in calorie burn I'd anticipate would be if as a result of getting fitter you lose some weight then you are transporting (for example) 90KG the 18 miles in which case you'd only burn 1,080 calories.

* The above could be a complete load of tosh though!!

Ben

Advertisement