Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Protein Powder Nausea

Options
  • 11-07-2014 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

I got some Phd Diet Whey in Tesco few days ago for 9.99 it was down from 49 due to being out of date end of september, I usually use ON or Kinetica, and have never experienced any side effects at all from those brands, but this nausea after with this Phd stuff is vile i seem too keep getting nauseous after it, which lasts a few hours!

Unfortunately, the same day I also purchased a big 2kg tub of Phd pharma whey in Tesco down to 35 from 65, which expires in November its the most disgusting protein I've ever had, it doesn't mix and leaves big dry globules if not drank straight away, I've never seen anything like it! like drinking mud! and i get the nauseous feeling from it as well, I've only had them for a few days, could hardly be a bad batch of both? Would i be entitled to a refund?

If not has anyone any tips on how to stomach this stuff and to stop the nausea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It could just be your digestive system not loving some of the ingredients of the powder and you're getting nausea as a result.

It's likely there's no issue with the powder, per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Yeh, I'd agree with Alf. I'd imagine it is something in the ingredient list, rather than there being an issue with the protein.

I switched brands of protein a few months ago and was getting nauseous the whole time. Couldnt figure out what was causing it, ended up eliminating coffee, almonds and eggs outta my diet at different stages and it was only when I eliminated the protein powder that I stopped getting nauseous.

Started back with an old brand of protein and I've had no issues with it at all. It must have been something in the ingredients that I was intolerant too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

smyths wrote: »
    it doesn't mix and leaves big dry globules if not drank straight away,

I watched a youtube video recently from a very experienced competitive body builder. He described the above as the perfect example of something that isn't a whey protein but is advertised as.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

So do I have no grounds to return it for a refund from Tesco?

You could try. But it only has to contain some whey protein to be advertised as. I'd learn your lesson, bin the junk and continue buying from reputable sources.

• Advertisement

I doubt it.

You don't really have any grounds for a refund. They might give you one but I'd be surprised if they did.

You'll get better quality and value online in future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Cuddles do you have a link to that video?

Brands vary - personally I do not like super sweet whey/protein shakes or ones that mix thick but some do.

Light and clean for me every time but taste is subjective etc as some will say BUT a whey shake should be light and clean and if it is not well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I watched a youtube video recently from a very experienced competitive body builder. He described the above as the perfect example of something that isn't a whey protein but is advertised as.

Yup Casein clumps like crazy, and personally it wrecks my stomach.

Sometimes the additives take an age to digest and stick around in the gut longer and that causes gas.

One possible reason.

I meant to add that you should check for frucro-oligosaccherides on the list of ingredients.

• Advertisement

Alf - FOS being good or bad?

FOS's can be a source of dietary fibre which imo is a good thing. :)

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Alf - FOS being good or bad?

FOS's can be a source of dietary fibre which imo is a good thing. :)

Not bad, per se, but it's not all that easily digested and in some people it can end up causing a build up of gas in the small intestine. A lack of food would compound matters.

But it's just one of things that some people don't always react well to and a switch in whey would likely sort out the nausea.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Cuddles do you have a link to that video

Took me a while to find it.

Thanks Cuddles!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Took me a while to find it.

His comments on soy are idiotic. Soy protein has been shown to be very good, only a shade below whey.

It's gross though in a milkshake.

Zillah wrote: »
    His comments on soy are idiotic. Soy protein has been shown to be very good, only a shade below whey.

It's gross though in a milkshake.

Like most things on the internet you take what he says with a pinch of salt. And for a competitive bodybuilder, why take the second best protein when you can take the best.

I just thought it was interesting because my own experiences have been pretty much the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Did you also need a license to say crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Just an update. Emailed phd batch numbers and they are arranging collection and sending me new products. They were concerned due to it causing nausea. So hopefully new products will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Like most things on the internet you take what he says with a pinch of salt. And for a competitive bodybuilder, why take the second best protein when you can take the best.

I just thought it was interesting because my own experiences have been pretty much the same.

Yep nothing worse than the runs from protein, 2nd worse is that lumpy muck sold by a certain kiosk supplement supplier owned by a mind guru.

I'm not disagreeing with anything else he says, but that is a particularly nasty and baseless myth that's been going around online for years. A bodybuilder might want to go with soy because they are vegan or lactose intolerant, for example.

• Advertisement

I'm not disagreeing with anything else he says, but that is a particularly nasty and baseless myth that's been going around online for years. A bodybuilder might want to go with soy because they are vegan or lactose intolerant, for example.

I'm lactose intolerant and I use whey isolate. The lactose content within whey isolate is negligible to all but the very extreme of the intolerant. Outside of that or Vegan, I can't see a reason to use Soy and I see his point as valid.

The point where he makes false, half-baked comments about soy acting like estrogen and lowering a man's testosterone? You agree with those points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Or the scare at the end. 'I have heard...'

Oestrogen IS related to female pattern hair loss. As is testosterone. BUT it's the decrease in oestrogen.

And an increase in test.

The point where he makes false, half-baked comments about soy acting like estrogen and lowering a man's testosterone? You agree with those points?

Nope, just that proper whey protein mixes well, doesn't stick, is better then soy and bad protein mixes can give you the serious ****s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Well done to everyone that watched that garbage all the way through. I switched before he made any claims but I will just go ahead and assume he is full of sh1te.

Advertisement