Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Race, December 14th, Punchestown

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Man I've got a lovely bottom....(careful now that might offend some people).... of course all the cyclocrossers have lovely bottoms.

Worst start ever.... I miss cross

You back in the country for this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭rosscollins88

You back in the country for this one?

Nah should make the 2016 season though

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭25sean

Up on the Race Track yesterday, course laid out with a few tweaks and turns to be done..

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM 2012!!!!

Course will be a mixture of the following

1. rough lumpy terrain
    2. steep run ups
    3. shlippery descents
    4. steady climbing on sealed(ish) road
    5. more irregular climbs on softer ground
    6. mud to be powered through

You will need

.... A BIG ENGINE TO LAST THE FULL HOUR!!!!

Hot food, music, horses and maybe even a Christmas tree!

Perfect preparation for the Nationals!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I guess I ask here too: anybody could offer me a lift before the B race from Portobello area?

Ideally with my wife and kid, but not necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

Fair play to all involved for setting up the CX race at punchestown..
    Not an easy thing to do in a couple of weeks but much appreciated

Toughy - as Sean25 said one would need a big engine!!

P.s- best sausages ever at the end ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

+1 super course

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Looked like a great course. Couldn't race so took some pictures.

IMG_2085.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭golfirl

Really enjoyed the course today, well done to all involved

Nah, too easy. Not enough suffering.

Next time try harder with run-ups guys, we don't want to see this again:

331762.jpg

(photo: Darek Skrzypczyk)

On a serious note: great race, well balanced course, kudos for everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

golfirl wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the course today, well done to all involved

Was a good course alright, though I thought at first they were going to send us over some of the jumps like horses..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭25sean

Belated thanks to all who came out to Punchestown for a great days racing... Thanks also for bearing with us on course set up, start time etc.. a big learning curve...

We might look at putting on another race in later January.. would people be interested?

Its something I'd like to see in the Irish cross calendar, racing through to February as its done in other countries.. always think its a shame to be in good shape and gunning for the Nationals only to hang up the bike and watch your form wean...

The Irish calendar needs a good looking at before next season, it is full but its a shame to have to travel north when we have c200 racers down here up for it....

Anyway, thanks again to all who came, see you Sunday for Fixx final round!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

25sean wrote: »

We might look at putting on another race in later January.. would people be interested?

Yes! Sorry I missed Punchescross but circumstances dictated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Its something I'd like to see in the Irish cross calendar, racing through to February as its done in other countries.. always think its a shame to be in good shape and gunning for the Nationals only to hang up the bike and watch your form wean...
    The Irish calendar needs a good looking at before next season, it is full but its a shame to have to travel north when we have c200 racers down here up for it....

Not sure about January, I reckon after the nationals people may want to hang up the CX bike and get ready for the upcoming MTB, and also road seasons...
    The MTB biking blitz is on the 1st of February for example...

I don't think I have seen CX racing so popular as this year, with clubs new to CX running events, so i'm sure the calendar will look better next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I'd definitely be up for another race in January. I think anyone who keeps their form over Christmas in order to race the Nationals would be delighted to do another race. I'd love if you could race all the way up to start of the road season.

The calendar is nice and full now and there were hardly any clashes this year. I'm sorry I didn't get to do more races. A race on a Saturday in Dublin on weekends where there's a race in Connaught or Belfast on the Sunday might be popular, some people would do both.

would people be interested?

Defo.

If you ask me, you can organize races in June or August too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Would be good to see more races in the Dublin area - 8 last year and only 5 this year. I know the various councils aren't making it easy for people to organise races.

Real shame as the Ulster league seems to have no problem getting venues, they're setup is great with most venues having some sort of pavillion for changing, toilets and cooking facilities. They also have an army of volunteers, something we maybe need to look into. At the moment it is only really one club organising races here, a lot of work for a small group of people. I would like to help out more next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Just to add my thanks to those above - it was only my second CX race but I really enjoyed it. Any teething problems with the organisation were completely trivial IMO and the atmosphere, the course and the facilities at the venue were great. Well done to everyone involved in putting it together.

On that note I'd certainly sign up should another race in a similar vein be held. I'm a roadie dabbling in the shallow end of CX but I don't see the problem at all with racing CX in Jan or even Feb. Indeed, from a roadie's perspective, it might even make more sense than racing in Nov or Dec - a 45 minutes to an hour of intensity followed by an hour or two endurance is a great session trying to add a bit of speed to winter endurance.

nak wrote: »
    Would be good to see more races in the Dublin area - 8 last year and only 5 this year. I know the various councils aren't making it easy for people to organise races.Real shame as the Ulster league seems to have no problem getting venues, they're setup is great with most venues having some sort of pavillion for changing, toilets and cooking facilities. They also have an army of volunteers, something we maybe need to look into. At the moment it is only really one club organising races here, a lot of work for a small group of people. I would like to help out more next season.

I agree, in so far as in the Dublin area it's one small club organising races. Though great to see DCCX and Swords also getting involved.
    We also had guys in the West and South East of the country organising CX races also. And i'm sure for next year the new CX co-coordinator will be working closely with all the clubs...

I wouldn't say they have it all their own way in Ulster though, round 9 was cancelled because of a venue issue... And usually the races are massive, with full u/a, youths, seniors, Mountain bike races, as well as CX.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say they have it all their own way in Ulster though, round 9 was cancelled because of a venue issue... And usually the races are massive, with full u/a, youths, seniors, Mountain bike races, as well as CX.

They definitely don't have their own way, but they did manage to put on 8 races this year and the councils do seem to be more open to the idea.

Don't know if I agree with mountain bikes at races, it's a cyclocross race, plenty of chances to race mountain bikes earlier in the season. Fair enough for kids, but for adults, I wouldn't imagine a cross course would be much fun on a mountain bike.

• Advertisement

nak wrote: »
    They definitely don't have their own way, but they did manage to put on 8 races this year and the councils do seem to be more open to the idea.
    Don't know if I agree with mountain bikes at races, it's a cyclocross race, plenty of chances to race mountain bikes earlier in the season. Fair enough for kids, but for adults, I wouldn't imagine a cross course would be much fun on a mountain bike.

Maybe less NIMBY's up in N.I! :)

I totally agree with you regarding MTB's on a cross course, and especially seeing as 2 of the Fixx CX B races were won by guys on MTb's! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Belated thanks to all who came out to Punchestown for a great days racing... Thanks also for bearing with us on course set up, start time etc.. a big learning curve...

Anyway, thanks again to all who came, see you Sunday for Fixx final round!

Well done to Sean and team for a great race. It's great to have differing styles of courses with differing organisers so great to see differing organisers :)

Thanks again, great to see lads who get so much from a sport giving back, you get a real sense of community with CX racing in Ireland.
    Robin for example missed this race as he was working on the Kilternan course.

A race a week after the nationals would probably be well atended?

Peterx wrote: »
    A race a week after the nationals would probably be well atended?

There is one scheduled - the Muddy Cup in Tipperary. You would be surprised - a lot of people are ready for a rest by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭capnsantini

Thanks again for a great event on Sunday. You guys did a great job on all fronts. Any "issues" were non-noticable from a racers perspective, and were par for the course compared to the other CX events I've been to. Especially appreciated is the timely posting of results and lap times.

I know we as racers only see a tiny bit of the work that goes into planning and putting on a CX race, or any race for that matter, and I just want to let you know that all the hard work and sacrifices don't go unnoticed. There are so few races already that the guys who give up their own race so that we can race really deserve some extra kudos!

I'd be on for more racing in January for sure.

Advertisement