Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

dodzy wrote: »
    Opening hours anyone ?

I saw they where open from 8am for breakfast, but no pints till 10.30 as per the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

quickbeam wrote: »

Oh I was expecting a boards one :) cheers for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Murt10 wrote: »
    He said that they had made a mistake in their pricing in Blackrock and would be soon putting up their prices in line with Blanch.
    Made a mistake?! like a typo? smells like BS

https://www.facebook.com/thefortyfoot
    The Forty Foot
    March 30 ·
    Take a look at that thing of beauty. There's nothing like a decent pint of Beamish. And at €2.50 a pint, there's no wonder that it's a firm favourite with our customers.
    11051944_628766797254766_5061158515887770069_n.jpg?oh=9fb2e0b85555c768ba8769f71bbaf14f&oe=5630E86C

sounds like a real oversight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I'd love to be a fly on the wall there today. Interested to see what 'types' attempt to gain entry.

I can only imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I love the fact that people are already complaining about the clientèle, in an establishment that has yet to open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I love the fact that people are already complaining about the clientèle, in an establishment that has yet to open.

Did you ever drink in the Budda Bar?

I'm just going to give the place a chance before jumping to conclusions of the clientele.

Well its a few feet up from said bar, so wouldn't get my hopes up.

Only thing we can hope for is they done their research(not hard to with it all over national press a few times) and have tight security measures

I'd love to be a fly on the wall there today. Interested to see what 'types' attempt to gain entry.

I can only imagine.

Having been to the one in both Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire (multiple times) as well to the one in Belfast and in one of the London airports I can tell you that despite the cheap drinks they DO NOT attract a rough crowd!

These pubs are the same as any other with the exception that the food/drinks are exceptionally cheap and they have no tv/music.

Also there are always bouncers present and regular ID checks.

jeffk wrote: »
    Did you ever drink in the Budda Bar?

In fairness we should give Blanchy spoons a chance first before condemning it. I felt the Budda bar door staff where part of its problems too

Budda bar was a primary a drinking venue, spoons are targeting the lunch and cafe crowed too. I felt the Budda bar door staff where part of the problem too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

How long has the budda bar been closed down now? I reckon the clientèle have found another regular don't worry.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ah lads the Budda bar closed down about ten years ago so the clientele will not be the same at all. Or if it is they should be older and wiser by now :D I used to drink in the Budda bar until West opened up, then we started going there. The fact Wetherspoons has no music will probably put off a lot of younger people, they might do a bit of cheap early drinking there but they won't stay for the night (I'm guessing). I'm looking forward to trying it out anyway.

January wrote: »
    How long has the budda bar been closed down now? I reckon the clientèle have found another regular don't worry.

The Mountjoy canteen for starters.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A comparison of the menus between Blackrock and Blanch was posted on the Beer/Wine/Spirits forum. Links here and here. Significant price changes from Blackrock, although as Murt10 already posted, presumably the Blackrock prices will be brought in line with the Blanch ones. Can't see the regulars there being happy with hikes like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/TheGreatWood2015.pdf

Menu.

Some prices up 33% from current JDW prices in Ireland.

Beamish up from 2.50 to 3.50, as mentioned here earlier.

Geuze wrote: »
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/TheGreatWood2015.pdf

Menu.

Some prices up 33% from current JDW prices in Ireland.

Beamish up from 2.50 to 3.50, as mentioned here earlier.

Most of the real ale has been kept at 2.50, I suppose that Tim martin soft spot

Apart from some of the ales, the prices aren't as attractive as they were any more.

Apart from some of the ales, the prices aren't as attractive as they were any more.

Agreed, as a regular in the Blackrock the price increase definitely makes the bar lose some of its appeal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I've noticed they have taken the online menus down. I was only looking at the Dun Laoighaire one yesterday to see what prices were like.

I presume they have upped the drink price to pay for the building which is rather nice.

• Advertisement

Check out the links above, increases of up to a Euro.

I’m hoping it does well; just the last two (excluding west name changes) new shiny pubs that opened in the centre didn’t fare well in the end. Plus the centre needs a decent normal food place and then to have a drink with it is a bonus,

I think the late bar/music route is more than covered in the area. Be heading to “west” before going to a local late bar, it’s the reverse of what I and most people used to do

Had lunch in there earlier. Not bad. The place is lovely but it is huge and on two floors. I can see them eventually not using the upstairs.

They will require bouncers at night as it may attract some of the more dodgy characters.

The increase in drink prices is very disappointing. I think they have shot themselves in the foot there as the regulars from the surrounding pubs prob won't bother with it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm not a Wetherspoons fan. The two I've been to were totally different from each other but equally awful. I was willing to give the one in Blanch a go though, particularly having seen the prices on the menus of the other ones in Dublin. I'm not so keen now that they've put the prices up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Have the priced been raised in the two current bars do we know?

Edit: Menu comparison from the Beer forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96065339&postcount=2323

• Advertisement

Looks like its gone from oh look cheap drink to normal priced but having a normal food option in the centre

Looks like its gone from oh look cheap drink to normal priced but having a normal food option in the centre

Are there many place in the blanch area that you can get a bemish for 3.50?

oblivious wrote: »
    Are there many place in the blanch area that you can get a bemish for 3.50?

Are there many places in Blanch you'd want to drink bemish?

I drank it when I was 18 and it was £2, id rather do without than drink it now cause its cheaper than Guinness

Are there many places in Blanch you'd want to drink bemish?

I drank it when I was 18 and it was £2, id rather do without than drink it now cause its cheaper than Guinness

Not if there is a choice.

I just asking about your "cheap drink to normal priced" comment. Is 3.50 normal price in D15 for a bemish or is it still cheap than other pubs in the area?

Not if there is a choice.

I just asking about your "cheap drink to normal priced" comment. Is 3.50 normal price in D15 for a bemish or is it still cheap than other pubs in the area?

I'm not sure because I wouldn't drink it, usually Heineken/Carlsberg if on pints.

Talking to herself about captains and coke and agreed they are about average. Asking me price of shots, but cant see any on the menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I'm not sure because I wouldn't drink it, usually Heineken/Carlsberg if on pints.

Talking to herself about captains and coke and agreed they are about average. Asking me price of shots, but cant see any on the menu.

I thought I saw spirits were €3.95 with a free mixer - that's cheap

I’m hoping it does well; just the last two (excluding west name changes) new shiny pubs that opened in the centre didn’t fare well in the end. Plus the centre needs a decent normal food place and then to have a drink with it is a bonus,

Yeah, I agree that's what's needed. I've often been over there and fancied a bit of grub and a pint and you're not served particularly well (TGIs and Captain Americas aren't great).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah, I agree that's what's needed. I've often been over there and fancied a bit of grub and a pint and you're not served particularly well (TGIs and Captain Americas aren't great).

Wetherspoons food will not be better than either of those.

I'll see.

Staplor wrote: »
    I thought I saw spirits were €3.95 with a free mixer - that's cheap

They were mostly 3.95, now 4.75. Yes, free mixer, and double for 2 euro extra.

The prices are say a euro cheaper on some drinks, but the hype around it, had people(including me) expecting higher savings

Another advantage they have(if late opening), is there wont be the standard drinks going up over the course of the night to pay for DJ/Band

Before they increased prices this week, the "hype" was partly deserved.

They don't open late.

Geuze wrote: »
    Before they increased prices this week, the "hype" was partly deserved.

They don't open late.

Well the hype will die down so.

Ill look forward to another food option in the centre, plus wont be rip off prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Apologies all. I really want this to work, really. It'll be great for the area, no doubt and I am looking forward to frequenting it as I'm a big fan of their business model. All indications are that it'll be well policed as I'm sure they have done their homework. That said, light, heaven, Buddha bar. All in the same area. All failed. Door staff IMO Had a lot to answer for in all of those cases. Here's hoping they break the mould here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

Someone that has the guts of 1,000 pubs, some in the dodgiest areas of the UK, didn't enter the Irish market without a plan.

If he only wanted to enter here and run kips, I'm sure he could have spent a lot less, and own far more pubs than he currently does.

He knows what he's doing (I hope)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

beer garden was fairly busy when i drove past at about 6:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

€3.95 for a Birra Moretti, fairly certain I was paying €2.75 in Blackrock a couple of months back!

I popped in last night 2.50 for a pint of Adnams Ghost-ship in very good condition. There is a good selection of Irish craft beer from 8 degrees, Bru and McGraths. This is possibly one if the largest selection of Irish craft beer in the are, but why did it take an English pup chain for this to happen?

I popped in last night 2.50 for a pint of Adnams Ghost-ship in very good condition. There is a good selection of Irish craft beer from 8 degrees, Bru and McGraths. This is possibly one if the largest selection of Irish craft beer in the are, but why did it take an English pup chain for this to happen?

What was the crowd like last night? Was it packed?

py2006 wrote: »
    What was the crowd like last night? Was it packed?

The usual cross section you get in a few pubs around the area. If they put money in proper security it should keep any issue under control

Was it packed?
    Yeah it was busy, slowish at the bar.

The usual cross section you get in a few pubs around the area. If they put money in proper security it should keep any issue under control

Yeah it was busy, slowish at the bar.

Yea think I will avoid it at night time.

I was there yesterday morning, the staff were nice and understandably nervous. It will probably take a week or so for things to settle.

Yea think I will avoid it at night time..
    I am not sure if they are going for for a late licence.

€3.95 for a Birra Moretti, fairly certain I was paying €2.75 in Blackrock a couple of months back!

I am looking at an Oct 2014 menu from the 3T in Blackrock.

Birra Moretti was 2.45 for 33cl.

Many 33cl bottles were 2.45.

Now, in July 2015 in TGW menu, Birra Moretti is 3.95, BUT it's a 660ml bottle.

So it's actually cheaper!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Apologies all. I really want this to work, really. It'll be great for the area, no doubt and I am looking forward to frequenting it as I'm a big fan of their business model. All indications are that it'll be well policed as I'm sure they have done their homework. That said, light, heaven, Buddha bar. All in the same area. All failed. Door staff IMO Had a lot to answer for in all of those cases. Here's hoping they break the mould here.

I think comparing nightclubs that cater for the under 25s en masse with a family bar/restaurant is not a great analogy. I would be more likely to compare the new Wetherspoons with the bar at the Crowne Plaza hotel which also has a strong food offering. I've been there a few times and the clientele is always fine and the atmosphere welcoming and safe. Saying that, they always have a bouncer which probably keeps the undesirables out.

I would think younger folk would find Wetherspoons with it's lack of music and many dining around them a rather boring place to hang out for serious sessions/piss ups. I think it will attract a lot of shoppers at the centre at weekends particularly who will go there before or after their shopping.

• Advertisement

The undesirables may also keep the families away in late evenings etc. remains to be seen.

Advertisement