Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much protein?

Options
  • 09-12-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I weigh around 115lbs but I run a bit well every second day around 5k. Just noticed today my total protein is 93g and apparently I am 11g over my recommended intake. Is this bad or will it lead to weight gain? This doesn't happen every day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

From what I understand (and I'm not an expert by any means) you just won't get any benefit from the extra protein. Your body can only manage a certain amount and the rest is waste.

As far as weight gain goes, that depends on your diet as a whole - but ultimately if you're taking in more calories then you're expending you'll gain weight.
    Those calories can be protein, carbs or fats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 n554321

I'm under my calorie intake but protein is the only one above

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

n554321 wrote: »
    I'm under my calorie intake but protein is the only one above

Then there is no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

thejaguar wrote: »
    From what I understand (and I'm not an expert by any means) you just won't get any benefit from the extra protein. Your body can only manage a certain amount and the rest is waste..

I read that too. As a matter of interest, how much protein can your body utilize in one day? Assuming we're all the same for a moment - on average?

Different proteins are absorbed at different rates. The body doesn't just flush all the protein out of your system after an hour/day.

There are a lot of variables that will dictate how your body metabolises proteins, e.g. muscle, age, activity, etc. And the type of protein.

In any case, you're under your maintenance calories so you won't put on weight.

And your protein intake is fine even at 93g. Especially if you're active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does excess protein just come out the other end?

ryanf1 wrote: »

Mostly.

Mostly.

Makes you bunged up to doesn't it?

No.

Can't say I've ever found that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Makes you bunged up to doesn't it?

yep. I always drop back the protein when this happens.

• Advertisement

mickman wrote: »
    yep. I always drop back the protein when this happens.

I suffer with the bowels a bit and only recently discovered that I might be eating too much meat. I get quite irregular at times and then when I go its fairly hard and dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Mostly.

Its the excess amino acids, the calories are still used...now that's my understanding of it

Generally speaking the minimum for somebody training is bodyweight(KGS) in grand, so 100kg person 100 grand of protein, I'll post a link once I'm home, its on examine.com somewhere

Its the excess amino acids, the calories are still used...now that's my understanding of it

Generally speaking the minimum for somebody training is bodyweight(KGS) in grand, so 100kg person 100 grand of protein, I'll post a link once I'm home, its on examine.com somewhere

Very little is actually excess in any case. It adapts to the quantity of protein ingested and what can not be taken up by the body in the short term will spend some time in the gut before its time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

If you consume too much protein, the digested products of protein, ie amino acids, are then brought to the liver where the amino group (-NH2) is removed in a process called deamination.
    The amino group forms urea which combines with water in the kidneys to form urine.

The deaminated amino acid now resembles a type of fatty acid and can be used for energy or stored.
    In this way, a person can not "waste" the calories from protein.

OP, 93g of protein when you weigh 52.5kg is absolutely fine

If you consume too much protein, the digested products of protein, ie amino acids, are then brought to the liver where the amino group (-NH2) is removed in a process called deamination.
    The amino group forms urea which combines with water in the kidneys to form urine.

The deaminated amino acid now resembles a type of fatty acid and can be used for energy or stored.
    In this way, a person can not "waste" the calories from protein.

OP, 93g of protein when you weigh 52.5kg is absolutely fine

What causes you to become constipated by consuming too much protein?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

IF you are only eating meat, composed of proteins like actin and myosin, you are not consuming fibre (cellulose from plant cell walls and chitin from fungal cells walls, think mushrooms here), then you could becone constipated.

It's not really from eating too much protein, it's from eating too LITTLE fibre.

It's not really from eating too much protein, it's from eating too LITTLE fibre.

Thats where I fall down. I find it difficult to get adequate fibre into me. The result being incomplete emptying

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tightloop

Get more green veggies into ya! Will sort you out in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Excess protein over a long period can have adverse effect on your kidneys too. It takes a lot of energy for the kidney to process excess protein and can lead to kidney failure. Similarly, you need to remember to get enough fibre and carbohydrates into you if you eat too much protein. A lack of carbohydrates with excess protein can cause a build up of ketones, which also harm kidneys. In summary, if you consume a lot of protein, watch your kidneys. :p

sup_dude wrote: »
    Excess protein over a long period can have adverse effect on your kidneys too. It takes a lot of energy for the kidney to process excess protein and can lead to kidney failure. Similarly, you need to remember to get enough fibre and carbohydrates into you if you eat too much protein. A lack of carbohydrates with excess protein can cause a build up of ketones, which also harm kidneys. In summary, if you consume a lot of protein, watch your kidneys. :p

Quantify 'excess' though.

• Advertisement

Some bodybuilding websites I've seen have recommended 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. After a while eating that much protein it would surely upset your digestion and perhaps cause ketosis. I'm no expert though. But I've found eating .75 to 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight will maintain muscle mass even if cutting back on calories if your goal is to lose weight.

I should mention I'm a man so women may have different protein requirements.

I'm actually having problems with high levels of protein in my urine. But all the doctors I've seen never mentioned my protein intake as a possie cause

Can't you cut back if it's a problem? Everyone has a balance that can be thrown off with an improper diet. If you're eating loads of protein for training scale it back a little and see if it works. What's the problem?

tightloop wrote: »
    Can't you cut back if it's a problem? Everyone has a balance that can be thrown off with an improper diet. If you're eating loads of protein for training scale it back a little and see if it works. What's the problem?

I don't do it for bulking, that's just how I eat. I got seriously constipated a few months ago, as in threatened with being admitted to hospital. Were not allowed get into medical details so I need to be careful but basically I ended up with a nasty infection because the bowels and urinary systems are near each other so we think that's what's causing the protein

Sorry to hear it, that's rough. Again I'm no expert I guess it could be too much protein. I haven't suffered much had some stomach problems in the past but since I've been watching what I eat and tracking my caloric intake my stomach has been pretty ok.

I hope you get some relief, cut back on protein and eat plenty of veggies, there's a reason they come recommended, even if they're not very nice.

Have you been checked out for celiac disease? You could have an allergy to gluten which can also cause stomach and bowel problems.

No I wasn't checked for any digestive conditions, just given various laxatives to empty my bowels.
    That's 9 months ago and I'm still worried if a day goes by and I don't go to the toilet at least once. Then I'm not good for fruit & veg which I know would help

It's almost a new year, make it a resolution to include a couple pieces of fruit and veg in your diet every day and you'll see the difference. I hope you get relief mate, it sounds like a tough time.

I'll try! And I also need to increase my fibre intake. its been a while so im over the worst of it now, it was tough though. All I can say is I hope I never feel pain like that again.

Advertisement