Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rifle :)

Options
  • 27-01-2015 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Well finally paid off the new fox killer
    Any tips for sighting it in ? Will I leave it at 100yards?
    Also it has no bipod but it's ok to hold steady so will I make sticks for it
    Pics to follow and full info on gun.
    It's the savage axis .223

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Everything is camo. Rifle, stock, bolt even the scope covers ;)
    image_zps1nu1duyz.jpg

image_zpsgu7jsk5e.jpg
    image_zpsj82cly2p.jpg
    Il give details of the spec tomoro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Mind you dont put it down on the ground...you will never find it lol 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tprp226

Well finally paid off the new fox killer
    Any tips for sighting it in ? Will I leave it at 100yards?
    Also it has no bipod but it's ok to hold steady so will I make sticks for it
    Pics to follow and full info on gun.
    It's the savage axis .223[/quote so when are we going out again I bring the targets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Or on the bed spread :-)

Well ware.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

Best of luck with it ! Lovely gun ! I'd zero 1.5" high at 100 and thatll leave you fairly bang on out to 300 for foxes ! Depending on ammo of course !

• Advertisement

Snakezilla wrote: »
    Best of luck with it ! Lovely gun ! I'd zero 1.5" high at 100 and thatll leave you fairly bang on out to 300 for foxes ! Depending on ammo of course !

So if I'm shooting foxes over let's say 150 and rifle is sighted for 100 aim just above his head?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭clivej

So if I'm shooting foxes over let's say 150 and rifle is sighted for 100 aim just above his head?

Zero for what's known as 'Point Blank Range'

It means if the kill zone on your target is say a 3" circle, like on a fox. Then just say 1 1/2" at 100y will give you a kill out to 250y.
    So you just aim at the centre of the kill zone all the time, because you will never be lower or higher than 3/4" out to 250y.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Wouldn't aim for the head at all - far easier shot into the chest - and that round has a 4"MPBR out to a little over 200yards, so when zero'd as prescribed there's no hold at all out to that range, just aim square. ;)

*edit: what clive said whilst I was typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Engine room all the way.

If you zero your rifle 1 inch high at 100yards you should be good out to 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Heard somewhere lately (radio?) About an 1890's Winchester found leaning against a tree in the Pacific Northwest. Apparently there many decades :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Shaner82

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

Have to say (and pardon the pun) that it looks savage.

And well hidden on the bed!! From rrm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Custom made? Very nice piece of kit. Irish bought or imported?

Have to say (and pardon the pun) that it looks savage.

And well hidden on the bed!! From rrm?
    Yep I know shay a while. He seen me out a few times hunting and invited me to the shop for chat and food.
    Showed me guns for foxing and instantly wanted this one.
    Great blokes to deal with up there.

jungleman wrote: »
    Custom made? Very nice piece of kit. Irish bought or imported?

Not sure if it's imported but yes custom made. Good bit out into it. Camo job is serious on it and it's quite light. Not sure of full specs on it . Floating barrel etc

Ive been in there a few times too. Great fella to deal with. And full of chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

sight it in where you usually find em, if they're at 150 no point in being zero'd for 100, set up on paper during the day mark your dial ups and downs and then enjoy yourself.

MMmm nice camo (always fancyed a camo set up like that myself) , enjoy, wear safe and wear well.

Myself and the father went out today to sight her in. Took a while as it was a good bit off. But we got there.
    Now all I need is to get a sling for it as there is a bit if weight in it ad get up tomoro morning and try for morning fox

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cork shooter

Snakezilla wrote: »
    The above figures would not get you bang on at 300yards .A 300 yard zero which would be rare would require 3.5 inches high at 100 yards for one of the most popular rounds out there, 55gr v max.
    I would be with Clive on this as he is giving solid advice for a beginner.All i would add is not to rush. learn to shoot your rifle first. A Clean kill on a fox at 300 takes a learned skill.
    forget about head shots as these are best left to the"high stool crack shots".start at sensible ranges and work out from there.
    Best of luck and safe shooting.

Uh where do I begin on this one.
    Got up this morning for early fox.
    I have rifle zero at 100 yards give or take.
    Came across a rabbit at 75 yards and missed him.
    Went over to flat ground and put target onto tree with good backstop.
    Hit that at 75 no problems.
    But here's the thing I carried on and came across a fox asleep!!!
    Not a bother on him. And he never seen me. He was 50 yards out and yes I fcukin missed him!!
    What did I do wrong there.
    Any advice is welcome.

• Advertisement

Is there a slight possibility of snatching at the trigger with the live targets?
    Considering you hit the paper at the same range.
    Its a possibility, whether a fella realises or not, with the excitement or such to get the first kill with the rifle. I know i did miss a few sitters before and was convinced the scope was off but it was fine when checked.

I not sure at all. I know I was rapidly breathing and had to stop about 3 times to control my breathing.
    It probably was excitement and I pulled the shot.
    Any way to just knock that on the head. I'm sure some lads still get excited when out no matter how long they've shot

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ghost.

If you had the gun zeroed at 100 yards and were able to hit the target at 75 yards that fox should have been gone to the chicken coop in the sky.

Were you shooting of a steady rest or were you firing off hand from a standing position when you took the shot on the fox?

If you were firing from a standing position you probably just pulled the shot.

Ghost. wrote: »
    If you had the gun zeroed at 100 yards and were able to hit the target at 75 yards that fox should have been gone to the chicken coop in the sky.

Were you shooting of a steady rest or were you firing off hand from a standing position when you took the shot on the fox?

If you were firing from a standing position you probably just pulled the shot.

I was kneeling. He was asleep and I didn't want to move in case I woke him.
    I felt steady enough shooting on my knee.
    I probably should've lay down. But I did take the shot at the paper from same type of position and hit it no problem.
    I'd say I pulled the shot.
    It's gas because if I had the shotgun he would've of been in pieces in the big coop in the sky. :)
    It's my first rifle so I've alot to learn but I'd say I pulled the shot. I did do it a few times when first sighting it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Congratulations on new gun.

Get some target time in various shooting postions and see how your grouping and point of impact can change. Plenty of good u tube vids showing proper techniques for various postions. Invest in sticks and or bipod aswell as a good sling as all will aid in a better shot. Use all available surroundings both natural and man made for the steadiest rest.
    I've missed the 'surest' shots due to poor postions and rushing the shot. You'll have longer than you think.
    Best of luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

What did I do wrong there.
    Is there a slight possibility of snatching at the trigger with the live targets?
    I've missed the 'surest' shots due to poor postions and rushing the shot. You'll have longer than you think.

At those distances with that rifle, there's no question but that it's a combination of the above. It's very easy to relax when you're not anticipating your target moving - as soon as you start to anticipate movement everything goes to hell.

Take as long as you need to take the shot - if the target moves, it moves. There's nothing you can do about it and there's absolutely no reward to be had for trying to shoot faster than you're able to.

You're only fresh at it so it will take a while to get your head together when you see your quarry - couple that with your respiration rate from walking around to begin with and it's the easiest thing in the world to fluff the shot.

You'll get there. ;)

Thanks for the advice lads. As for breathing I've read a good bit on the internet about how to control it and at what point I should squeeze the trigger.
    But all that nearly seems to go out the window when there's live quarry in front of me. As I said I had to stop and breath 3 times to calm down.
    I should invest in a bipod I know but I find over the years of taking shots with rifles that I am better freehand

More pics if rifle and detail of camo
    image_zps55sbwxhr.jpg
    image_zpsoum88soh.jpg
    image_zpshpqepxew.jpg
    image_zpsk6iimfbg.jpg
    image_zpsdootsyzg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Thanks for the advice lads. As for breathing I've read a good bit on the internet about how to control it and at what point I should squeeze the trigger.
    But all that nearly seems to go out the window when there's live quarry in front of me. As I said I had to stop and breath 3 times to calm down.
    I should invest in a bipod I know but I find over the years of taking shots with rifles that I am better freehand
    Obviously your not by what you have just wrote ,you need either sticks or bi pod and a lot of practice ,If your pulling shots on paper ,then im sorry but you should not be firing at quarry without being confident of a clean kill

• Advertisement

Obviously your not by what you have just wrote ,you need either sticks or bi pod and a lot of practice ,If your pulling shots on paper ,then im sorry but you should not be firing at quarry without being confident of a clean kill

Lesson learned over not shooting unless I'm confident.
    I know I should spend hour or two just firing at a target from different positions and get used to it. After that no excuses for missing anything.

Advertisement