Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emirates v Ethiad?

Options
  • 17-01-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

A guess the title explains it all.

Looking at booking a holiday and the best options price wise are emirates and ethiad.

Which of these offer best service/space in economy

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Etihad are a far superior service to Emirates from Dublin, I have flown with both airlines in the past two years and rate Etihad far ahead and am booked on Etihad for my travels this year instead.

Emirates fly their 3-4-3 Boeing 777 into Dublin and it is awfully cramped wheras Etihad fly the A330 which has more room and will be flying their 3-3-3 seating config Boeing 777 from this summer also.

Emirates fly to Dubai airport and it is a chaotic mess with too many passengers and very long queues and rude security. Etihad's Abu Dhabi hub is far more pleasant and relaxed with a lower volume of passengers. Etihad have recently introduced a 30Kg baggage allowance also which is the same as Emirates offer.

This was my opinion of Emirates from my flights taken with them in 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Im a gold member with Etihad and have flown with them 30+ times,they really are a great airline cant fault them anywhere.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    Emirates fly their 3-4-3 Boeing 777 into Dublin and it is awfully cramped wheras Etihad fly the A330 which has more room and will be flying their 3-3-3 seating config Boeing 777 from this summer also.

Etihad dont have any 777's in 3-3-3 seating,they are all 3-4-3.

https://www.etihadairways.com/sites/etihad/ie/en/experienceetihad/pages/ourfleet.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Flew Etihad Dublin - Abu Dhabi - Bangkok and return

Can't fault them. Excellent staff, comfortable plane with TV/Media Player, actually liked the food and unlimited booze! I was rattled getting off each flight :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Im a gold member with Etihad and have flown with them 30+ times,they really are a great airline cant fault them anywhere.

Etihad dont have any 777's in 3-3-3 seating,they are all 3-4-3.

https://www.etihadairways.com/sites/etihad/ie/en/experienceetihad/pages/ourfleet.aspx

They were 3-3-3 when I flew them in 2011 but your link is quite worrying, I will cancel my tickets and rebook because there is absolutely no way I will spend up to 18hrs in one of those boeing tincans in 10 a-breast seating after last years ordeal with Emirates.

Stinicker wrote: »
    They were 3-3-3 when I flew them in 2011 but your link is quite worrying, I will cancel my tickets and rebook because there is absolutely no way I will spend up to 18hrs in one of those boeing tincans in 10 a-breast seating after last years ordeal with Emirates.

I think when Etihad purchased their 777's they were 3-3-3 and in 2009 they started to upgrade them with the added seat so its possible when you flew with them in 2011 that plane didnt have the extra seat yet,but they all have 3-4-3 now.

Here is a link about it http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/dubai-09-etihad-makes-broad-750-million-investment-335025/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭dubmick

Ethiad are now using Virgin Australia for some flights to and from Australia.

"For long-haul flights, Virgin Australia's fleet of three Boeing 777-300ER with three cabin classes offer an array of services and entertainment"

These are configured 3-3-3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

dubmick wrote: »
    Ethiad are now using Virgin Australia for some flights to and from Australia.

"For long-haul flights, Virgin Australia's fleet of three Boeing 777-300ER with three cabin classes offer an array of services and entertainment"

These are configured 3-3-3

Yep, flew with V Australia last year Abu Dhabi to Sydney. As nice a flight experience as 14 hours in economy can be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭dubmick

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Yep, flew with V Australia last year Abu Dhabi to Sydney. As nice a flight experience as 14 hours in economy can be!

Good to hear, we'll be doing this flight later in the year with our two young children

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I would fly Etihad ove Emirates anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I've flown with both a few times and don't see much difference. However transiting through Abu Dhabi is much easier and more relaxed than Dubai. However last time I flew with Emirates I got an upgrade to business. :)

• Advertisement

I think that they're similar but if your destination is Dubai I'd almost go Ethiad <mod snip>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Etihad have two set ups. 3-3-3 and 3-4-3. They only have the 3-4-3 option on planes with a first class cabin.

AFAIK they will operate two class from Dublin 28 biz and 384 cattle with 3-3-3 config as the A330 operates a two-class also The A330 will still be on this route during summer anyway for at least 50% of flights. They are moving to 10 flights per week in June/July.

Emirates are grand if you are travelling in an A380 or in business but stay away from their 777 (and Dubai is a nightmare airport)

Bookmark www.seatguru.com, you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

Bookmark www.seatguru.com, you can't go wrong.
    Seatguru was once a useful resource, but is now woefully out of date for most airlines.

Etihad have two set ups. 3-3-3 and 3-4-3. They only have the 3-4-3 option on planes with a first class cabin.

AFAIK they will operate two class from Dublin 28 biz and 384 cattle with 3-3-3 config as the A330 operates a two-class also The A330 will still be on this route during summer anyway for at least 50% of flights. They are moving to 10 flights per week in June/July.

No they dont only have 3-4-3 on first class planes on nearly all of there 777's its 3-4-3,and they have 3 set ups not just 2,i actually just booked a flight today departing Dublin in August and the dub-auh flight is on a 332 with 2-4-2 ,and the return flight is on a 777 with 3-4-3.

As someone said if your getting the info from seatguru its seriously outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Dubai is no longer a nightmare airport. They've recently opened a new area catering exclusively for A380s. It's airy and very well served by cafes, bars and shops. It also creates a lot more space in the rest of the airport.

Having flown with both airlines within the last 3 months and transited through the new Dubai I'd choose Emirates over Etihad now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

glasso wrote: »
    I think that they're similar but if your destination is Dubai I'd almost go Ethiad <mod snip>.

Wow- stunning display of ignorant racist crap right there.

<mod snip - No Flaming Please. Thanks!>
    Have you ever had to go through immigration there yourself? I have several times and now prefer to go through Abu Dhabi just to avoid it.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=rude+immigration+dubai&aq=f&oq=rude+immigration+dubai&aqs=chrome.0.57j62l3.5539j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Flew with Emirates last month, Dubai was perfectly fine,went through emmigration twice yes there is a queue but it moved fast enough. Was longer waiting for baggage. Emirates food was good and had a very comfrtable return flight. The planes they used on the India leg of the journey weren't great though, uncomfortable seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Degan2013

Agree with most comments. Currently and since both airlines started to use Dublin, I find Ethiad far superior between Dublin & UAE. I have travelled both on a number of occassions but now pay more to go Ethiad due mainly to the use of modern state of the art aircraft ie feels a little bit more space (but I can't be sure on that). bigger sea screen , able to plug in your laptop or/and iphone etc
    Emirates tend to use older aircraft between Dubai and Dublin.

One comment below did say they did not see the difference . Was a little shocked about this as any regular (ie a few times a year) long haul traveller, will notice a huge difference in comfort of aircraft (up to June March 2013 when I last travelled - expect the same next week when I travel Ethiad to Malaysia):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Hi folks,

I am flying to Singapore later in the year. Just having a look at my options. I have come up with both Etihad & Emirates as the best way to go. The price for both return is coming in at €777 which seems good to me for the 4 flights.

However what took my interest is the A380 that I can fly back from Singapore to Dubai with EK. I have never been on one and would like to do it given the chance.

But, looking on here it seems that EY are far better than EK. It is showing an A330 out of DUB and a 777 back in.

Also has Dubai improved or would you regular Far East fliers always go with Etihad?

Thanks for any help!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I was in an A380 going from Dubai to Bangkok and I have to say I loved it! If your tall like me try and get seat 68k, there is a gap in front of you so you can stretch out your legs... Nearly as good as being in business class!! It was a morning flight and the food was a bit naff so maybe stock up on something before you leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

The A380 are quite impressive but if that is the the only reason for flying Emirates, don't.
    I took these 3 times and found the service quite lacking. They seem to only have as many flight attendants as on their other planes which means you will be waiting a long time for your food or anything else you request.

Your other flights will be in their 777 which are as already mentioned quite a squeeze. Altough they do have the back 3-4 rows with a 2-4-2 set up which have a considerable amount of extra space. These few seats do fill up very quickly though.

I would only consider Emirates again if the price difference is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Thanks for the two replies so far.

As it turns out, both are the exact same price. Has anyone any experience with Etihad's 777? Is that not the same as Emirates?

Any experience I have of long haul is going west to America, so just looking for a bit of advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Do any of ye regular happen to know how many individual pieces of luggage you are allowed put in the hold on the Emirates flights from Dublin to Dubai? Their website only states that the limit is 30kg.

Ideally I would have two - a bike box and a bag separately.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MiloDublin

I was looking at flightradar24.com and noticed Dubai airport is much busier than Abu Dhabi. Many Dubai bound flights were in a holding pattern off the coast similar to what can happen when flying to Heathrow. For Abu Dhabi there were less incoming flights and they were coming in along a straight flightpath with no circling.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kelso00

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the two replies so far.

As it turns out, both are the exact same price. Has anyone any experience with Etihad's 777? Is that not the same as Emirates?

Any experience I have of long haul is going west to America, so just looking for a bit of advice.

I never flew Emirates B777 but I did use Etihad. Much worse then Etihad A330. Both planes are servicing Dublin so try to pick flights with A330.

They have really bad configuration. For example one extra sit in the row comparing to BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Be careful about the total journey time, both of these airlines have a habit of offering cheap fares but lousy travel times, i.e. 9 hours direct, 32 hours with a stop in AUH/DXB.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

When I took was booking my trip to Thailand and Oz, Emirates had me down for a 17 hour stop over in Dubai on my way back from Sydney to Dublin. I played around with the schedules and eventually added a stop to Adelaide which meant I only had 2 hours to wait in Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

From Dublin via the UAE and onwards I tend to choose Etihad (EY)each time.

I have found in the past 5 years flying 5 long haul return flights a year that their service is far better than that of Emirates both on and off the flights. I found the planes newer, more attentive staff on board and better rewards.

If you are lucky enough to turn left when you get into the plane you will find etihad nicer too. The Emirates seat does not go completely flat whereas the EY one does. Also the eithad lounge in Dublin and AD is great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement