Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Runflat tyres for a 5 series

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I have just changed my first set of tyres off a 12 520, changed over to normal tyres and the difference is really noticeable, to the extent when I change the car next year I will ask to have the tyres changed to normal before I buy it. I removed the rear set 3 months ago and put the front run flats on the back and the new normal tires on the front. Even this made a big difference to the ride quality. And two weeks ago changed the last run flat set to normal ones.
    Basically run flats are the devils child and have no business on Irish roads. Listen the all the advice on the tread it’s well worth it.

By the way, I noticed very high outer edge wear on the front tyres, I asked the tyre mechanic to have a look at the tracking etc and all was normal. I heard since that its common with 5 series, anyone have similar experience?

Mat the Trasher

The front RFTs on my F30 (225/45/18) are completely shot on the outside edge but hardly worn at all in the centre. The rears also wore more on the outside but nothing like as badly as the fronts. Pressures are spot on.

I'll be replacing these with non-RFTs in a few weeks. I may replace all four at once - does anyone want to buy the two rear Conti SC5 SSRs part-worn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

You have to replace all four at once. You can't mix RFT and conventional tyres.

I'll be replacing these with non-RFTs in a few weeks. I may replace all four at once - does anyone want to buy the two rear Conti SC5 SSRs part-worn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

You have to replace all four at once. You can't mix RFT and conventional tyres.

Says who? You shouldn't mix across an axle but it is ok if the front wheels are normal and the rears are run flat and vice versa.

I replace tyres in pairs so my mini was in this configuration for a while. Our e60 had run flats on the front because the previous owner got a good deal on them. The rears are normal. No problem whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From here:

http://www.runflat.eu/english/qa/

If one of my Runflat tyres sustains a puncture can I replace it with a standard tyre?
    Bridgestone do not recommend mixing tyres with Run-Flat Technology and standard tyres on the same vehicle, even if paired in axle sets. If you have a puncture, tyres with Run-Flat Technology are designed to permit you to proceed to a tyre dealer where you can have the tyre checked and replaced if necessary with another tyre with Run-Flat Technology. In exceptional and emergency circumstances a conventional tyre of the same size can be fitted. It must be noted that standard tyres do not have Runflat characteristics and should be removed at the earliest opportunity.

And here:
    http://www.michelinman.com/tires-101/tire-basics/about-tires/run-flat-tires.page?REDR=1

Never mix run flat tires with tires that do not have run flat technology (conventional tires) unless in an emergency situation on a limited, temporary basis. The conventional tire should then be replaced with a run flat tire as soon as possible. It is not recommended to mix different run flat technologies/products.

But then again what would tyre manufacturers know?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

The two types have completely different characteristics and you will notice an imbalance.
    There was an old thread here when a 3 Series owner replaced just two and wondered why his car was wandering all over the road.
    Do it at your peril. It's certainly not recommended and for very good reason.

TBi wrote: »
    Says who? You shouldn't mix across an axle but it is ok if the front wheels are normal and the rears are run flat and vice versa.

I replace tyres in pairs so my mini was in this configuration for a while. Our e60 had run flats on the front because the previous owner got a good deal on them. The rears are normal. No problem whatsoever.

• Advertisement

The two types have completely different characteristics and you will notice an imbalance.
    There was an old thread here when a 3 Series owner replaced just two and wondered why his car was wandering all over the road.
    Do it at your peril. It's certainly not recommended and for very good reason.

Is there any independent research confirming that this would be dangerous?

When replacing the rears last year I asked BMW whether I had to fit RFTs and their reply was that the "car was set up for RFTs". My insurance company at the time told me that I just had to stay "legal" in terms of tyres for the policy to be valid.

I will probably replace all four, but I am curious about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Both my cars drove fine and I never noticed an imbalance. Rft's are heavier than normal tyres but if there was an issue with different weight tyres on different axles then you wouldn't be allowed to have bigger tires on the rear than the front. Strangely enough my car has bigger heavier more expensive tires on the back than the front.

Also anyone that went skidding around on non rtf's probably just saved money and bought cheap "ditch-finder" tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Sorry, I call bollox on this.

What kind of imbalance can it cause, what balance exactly are you talking about, grip ?
    I am also not at all surprised that the tyre manufacturers advise against this - rtf's are more expensive aren't they ?
    I notice the blurb doesn't give any good reason for advising against doing it other than hinting towards you not being able to get home as you wont be equipped with a spare.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Sorry, I call bollox on this.

What kind of imbalance can it cause, what balance exactly are you talking about, grip ?
    I am also not at all surprised that the tyre manufacturers advise against this - rtf's are more expensive aren't they ?
    I notice the blurb doesn't give any good reason for advising against doing it other than hinting towards you not being able to get home as you wont be equipped with a spare.

I would assume that the end of the car with the RFTs would be more stiffly sprung overall (due to the additional sidewall strength) but otherwise......

Advertisement