Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Runflat tyres for a 5 series

Options
  • 09-01-2015 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

Need two new tyres on the old mans BMW 5 series (225/55/R17). The joy of runflats! I was getting new tyres put on the other parents car and got a quote for high end runflats (no point putting rubbish tyres on a nice car was the logic!) Was quoted circa 230 per tyre! I knew it would be expensive but yikes! Worth my while going online? If so what would people recommend? Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Would you consider changing to non-runflats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Need two new tyres on the old mans BMW 5 series (225/55/R17). The joy of runflats! I was getting new tyres put on the other parents car and got a quote for high end runflats (no point putting rubbish tyres on a nice car was the logic!) Was quoted circa 230 per tyre! I knew it would be expensive but yikes! Worth my while going online? If so what would people recommend? Cheers

Seriously do yourself a big favor here and get rid of the run flats, go for a nice set of uniroyals or goodyears, I keep a tin of tyre sealant and a pump that can be powered from the cigarette lighter in my boot as a precaution but car feels much better on the road with normal tyres on there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Are they front or back you need?

I got a set of new Bridgestone rears a few months ago for my 320D which cost me €500,

I just got the front 2 done before Christmas, and they only worked out at €330,

got them all done at first stop in omni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

If i was to get rid of the runflats I think I would have to check if that would affect the warranty on the car. Would be my only worry. Otherwise id get him to change to normal tyres without a thought tbh.

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Seriously do yourself a big favor here and get rid of the run flats, go for a nice set of uniroyals or goodyears, I keep a tin of tyre sealant and a pump that can be powered from the cigarette lighter in my boot as a precaution but car feels much better on the road with normal tyres on there.

What happens if you have a blowout in the middle of nowhere though? Just out of luck and wait for someone to help out? I wonder could you purchase those crap skinny spare ones to get you to your nearest tyre shop? Althou from my uneducated view I would think not as the tyres on it are wide and its a big car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

If i was to get rid of the runflats I think I would have to check if that would affect the warranty on the car. Would be my only worry. Otherwise id get him to change to normal tyres without a thought tbh.

Changing affects nothing....A dealer will even charge you for the pleasure.

Are they front or back you need?

I got a set of new Bridgestone rears a few months ago for my 320D which cost me €500,

I just got the front 2 done before Christmas, and they only worked out at €330,

got them all done at first stop in omni

Two for the back and it is rear wheel drive

I was looking online and you would save around 60 ish euro but is it much hassle i wonder getting them fitted after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

What happens if you have a blowout in the middle of nowhere though? Just out of luck and wait for someone to help out? I wonder could you purchase those crap skinny spare ones to get you to your nearest tyre shop? Althou from my uneducated view I would think not as the tyres on it are wide and its a big car.

Happened me on a Friday night at 8pm with nothing open. Luckily I had breakdown assist and got it towed to tyre centre. Had to pay 60 quid to get to nearest car rental open though in order to pick up a rental (a mighty Fiat Panda).

Picked up the car the following day.

You might also want to consult with your father about the possibility of switching away from run flats.

Would he be happy stopping somewhere/anywhere at the first sign of a puncture to get out and repair it, or would he prefer the security of being able to continue on his journey (albeit at a slower pace) to somewhere safe to repair/inspect the puncture?

I know in my own situation, when my OH will be driving around with our new born child in the car, I wouldn't want her having to stop at the side of a road and getting out with tyre cement and a compressor (which I do have in the car) to fix a puncture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

You can get a space saver for the car. They were supplied with them in other markets which demand a spare wheel by law. I got one recently for my car for 200quid including the jack.

The space saver is crap but its infinitly less crap than a burst runflat imo. A friend drove on burst runflats a couple of times and each time the tyre shredded and he was stranded anyway.

Two for the back and it is rear wheel drive

hence the rears I just purchased being considerably more expensive..

Ferris wrote: »
    A friend drove on burst runflats a couple of times and each time the tyre shredded and he was stranded anyway.

did your friend drive as normal, or treat the punctured run flat like a space saver and drive slower/easier?

I think that if it didnt void the warranty I would suggest he get all non runflats and a space saver with tyre filler and a compresser. Over the lifetime of his ownership of the vehicle it would make financial sense I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Even with a runflat you really shouldn't drive on a blowout, either way you'd be looking at getting the car recovered - break down recovery on the insurance is always a good idea, you could have a skinny tyre alright as an option though to be sure.

Do any of you know the best place to get a space saver price wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

did your friend drive as normal, or treat the punctured run flat like a space saver and drive slower/easier?

Slowed down and they still shredded. Tyres weren't even punctured, he had the alloy cracking issue that plagued the e90 3 series.

This kit is cheap, less than I paid

http://cars.donedeal.ie/alloyswheels-for-sale/bmw-e60-space-saver/8151650

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Current generation of run flats are much more comfortable than previous generations. It also depends on the profile of the tyre wall and suspension set up.

My previous E90 M Sport had 18" rims with very low profile tyre walls, run flats combined with the M Sport stiff suspension meant the ride was fairly chronic. However my current F10 also on 18" rims has a higher profile wall with standard suspension set up and even though they are run flats you would not even notice them, the ride is so comfortable. I priced changing to non run flats but while I'd save some money on switching to standard tyres (about €40 per wheel) I'd still end up spending more on a spare wheel kit (costs €300+) and it still means keeping the spare wheel in the boot. So I have decided to just replace like with like when the time comes.

OP, when it comes to buying run flats you will may save money by buying them online, the choice in run flats being sold locally is fairly limited. Have a look here at prices:

http://www.oponeo.ie/tyre-finder/s=1/summer/t=1/car/r=1/225-55-r17#&&/wEXEAUOcGNrX1RyTFNTaXhJZHNlBRVwY2tfTHN0U1NvcnRQYXJhbWV0ZXIFAjEwBQ5wY2tfVHJMU1NzbklkcwUBMQUVcGNrX1RyTFNTb3J0RGlyZWN0aW9uBQExBQlwY2tfVHJMU1IFA+KUpAUHcGNrX0lQUAUCMjQFCnBja19UckxTUEYFAzE0MgUKcGNrX1RyTFNQVAUDMTg1BQ1wY2tfVHJMU1ZUSWRzBQE0BQlwY2tfVHI0OGgFA+KUpAULcGNrX1RyTFNST0YFA+KUggUHcGNrX0NQZwUBMQUOcGNrX1RyTFNMaXhJZHNlBQxwY2tfVHJMU1NJZHMFAzM0MgUKcGNrX1RyTFNTTAUCMjEFDHBja19UckxTUElkc2U0ASJEeE28tHZqmsoUN6m3C5Dw8g==

The Hankooks look to be good value in that size, just allow about €60 or so to have them fitted locally and make sure that the tyre fitter is used to fitting run flat tyres as some are not and can damage your alloy wheels putting them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

I have just changed my first set of tyres off a 12 520, changed over to normal tyres and the difference is really noticeable, to the extent when I change the car next year I will ask to have the tyres changed to normal before I buy it. I removed the rear set 3 months ago and put the front run flats on the back and the new normal tires on the front. Even this made a big difference to the ride quality. And two weeks ago changed the last run flat set to normal ones.
    Basically run flats are the devils child and have no business on Irish roads. Listen the all the advice on the tread it’s well worth it.

By the way, I noticed very high outer edge wear on the front tyres, I asked the tyre mechanic to have a look at the tracking etc and all was normal. I heard since that its common with 5 series, anyone have similar experience?

Mat the Trasher

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Doesn't affect warranty. Main dealer will even do it for you but charge accordingly for it. Get a set of normal tyres and look out for the space saver spare wheel kit that goes in the boot.

But got to agree with Bazz, the newer generation of RFT's are very comfortable. I have them on our F10 MSport with 19" wheels and you wouldn't notice the difference over our E60 with 19" Spyders and normal tyres.

BTW OP, is it an E60 or F10? As the F10 has no space for a space saver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

I have just changed my first set of tyres off a 12 520, changed over to normal tyres and the difference is really noticeable, to the extent when I change the car next year I will ask to have the tyres changed to normal before I buy it. I removed the rear set 3 months ago and put the front run flats on the back and the new normal tires on the front. Even this made a big difference to the ride quality. And two weeks ago changed the last run flat set to normal ones.
    Basically run flats are the devils child and have no business on Irish roads. Listen the all the advice on the tread it’s well worth it.

By the way, I noticed very high outer edge wear on the front tyres, I asked the tyre mechanic to have a look at the tracking etc and all was normal. I heard since that its common with 5 series, anyone have similar experience?

Mat the Trasher
    Was advised not to mix RFTs with normal tyres even as pairs, may void your insurance?
    Tracking is a problem but I think this comes from the rear.
    I have 245 45 18s RFTs on the front and 295s RFTs on the rear and thats the way its going to stay.

Mat the Trasher

Very bad practice mixing run flats with non run flats and not recommended by either BMW or tyre manufacturers. Run flats have different characteristics to normal tyres and mixing them changes the way the car handles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

bazz26 wrote: »
    Very bad practice mixing run flats with non run flats and not recommended by either BMW or tyre manufacturers. Run flats have different characteristics to normal tyres and mixing them changes the way the car handles.

I am at a total loss as to why this might be.
    Ok don't mix on the one 'axle' but having 2 equal tyres on the front and back how could run flats only on either axle make a difference ?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I am at a total loss as to why this might be.
    Ok don't mix on the one 'axle' but having 2 equal tyres on the front and back how could run flats only on either axle make a difference ?

The walls on run flats are re-enforced making them firmer, I can only imagine mixing normal tyres that do not have re-enforced walls on the other axle still upsets the balance of the entire car's set-up including handling. Anyone I've every spoken to versed on the subject always recommend either stick with one type or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I understand rfts have harder side walls.
    But how could the side wall hardness of the tyres on the fronet effect the rear tyres or the handling in any way? If you ran Bridgestone on the front and Goodyear on the back do you think they would have the same sidewall stiffness ?
    I think what has happened here is that folks have extrapolated the idea that if you shouldn't mix tyres on the one axle then to be extra safe you shouldn't mix runflats with non.
    If you think about it, after 10k miles the fronts will have a totally different amount of thread to the back ? How is it this is not seen as a huge safety issue. ( given the the tyres have legal amounts of thread left )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

There would not be a huge difference in sidewall stiffness between various brands but there is a huge difference between RFT and standard tyres. It's probably not a huge safety issue but it would be like having soft tyres on the front and overinflated ones at the back. I can only imagine the balance and handling would be effected.

On a side note the E60 is a much nicer car with the RFTs removed. I only changed over last year and couldn't believe the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Whatever about the run-flats, could BMW not get the boot lights to run into the rear quarter lights? They all look like someone fitted an aftermarket boot with the wrong lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I read a review in one of the car magazines a while back about the newer 3rd generation RFTs which are meant to be much better, almost akin to non-runflats. I'd check these out. When the time comes on my 3 series, I'll be switching to the new generation rather than the non-runflats. Don't fancy getting a puncture and spending ages at the side of the road in the rain trying to repair it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

I put those new fangled 3rd generation run flats on my mini before I changed to non runflats. Didn't feel much difference from second to third gen. The only difference I felt was going rft to non rft. Definitely would never change back.

You are offsetting everyday comfort for that one possible day you may get a puncture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Think that price is probably typical and I think RFT's only come from high end versions.

Recently had to replace a 245/45/r18 on my f10 after a puncture and it was 240 fitted for a Bridgestone from Atlas*. Not sure if your smaller tyre will be much cheaper.

*clowns actually fitted the non-RFT version and I had to go back the next day to have it swapped.

Advertisement