Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luke Ming Flanagan's Credibility

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Yes why say that he was in 34 of 35 sittings. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Godge wrote: »
    What a rebel, he doesn't use his fob to key in.
    There is a signing option. Oireachtas.ie says there is also an option to correct an attendance on the record at the end of a data period.

So yes, the Indo should have checked this. It would only be courteous to ask the Deputy for an explanation before going to print, and it is certainly the prudent thing to do, given the alternatives set out above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

He has the highest attendance rates and contributions for Dail debates.

On half the salary of the rest of the TDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

nice_guy80 wrote: »

And still can't bring a legalise weed Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its a pity all his contributions are worth feck all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This happens a lot with TDs - the Indo report people as not attending even though they may have (we wont know for certain I suspect) but they just didn't 'clock in'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Here we go again. In the real world If you don't clock un you don't get paid.

Here we go again. In the real world If you don't clock un you don't get paid.

funny.
    never 'clocked in' at work

but have always been paid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

funny.
    never 'clocked in' at work

but have always been paid.

Depends on the company. I know some companies are very strict on this and have big reminder notices up as you walk into the staff area reminding people they need to clock in.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Depends on the company. I know some companies are very strict on this and have big reminder notices up as you walk into the staff area reminding people they need to clock in.

I don't work for a company
    I provide a service and get paid a salary

I don't work for a company
    I provide a service and get paid a salary

Nobody suggested it was done in every single company.

Looks like he could get elected as a Euro MP, according to the polls...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Looks like he could get elected as a Euro MP, according to the polls...

And deservedly so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    And deservedly so

Why?

On what merit does he or anyone get elected to the EU parliament?

Especially if they are not an incumbent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,657 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any person who arrives in to the Dail dressed as he and Wallace dress should never be permitted. Straight off the bat they are showing an arrogance, and a contempt for the Dail. But I guess there will folks who will defend it. Standards have been slipping in Ireland for many years now.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Any person who arrives in to the Dail dressed as he and Wallace dress should never be permitted. Straight off the bat they are showing an arrogance, and a contempt for the Dail. But I guess there will folks who will defend it. Standards have been slipping in Ireland for many years now.

Why does this really bother people so much? I am truly more concerned with what comes out of his mouth rather than his lovely slim fitted Copeland suit.

riiiiiight.
    cause they are upholding the standards that the other TDs set.
    Ha!

maybe they need suits so they can line their own pockets.

Why?

On what merit does he or anyone get elected to the EU parliament?

Especially if they are not an incumbent.

Thats a different argument I guess and I agree to an extent that sitting TD’s who have been elected on a mandate to serve should not be allowed to break that contract and run for another office.

With that said..it will be interesting to see how if gets on in Europe if he's elected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Evidentially, you have never seen the dress code of many European MP's so.

People, I believe, are more interested in what they say and so as oppose to what they wear.

After all, it was the suits that broke the country.

Standards? Don't make me laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭baldbear

You judge a person by what they wear? The suits are the people getting sentenced this week.

Mick Wallace is a easy target for his tax affairs but he did bring the penalty point scandal to the dáil whilst the suits kept quiet.

• Advertisement

baldbear wrote: »
    You judge a person by what they wear? The suits are the people getting sentenced this week.

Mick Wallace is a easy target for his tax affairs but he did bring the penalty point scandal to the dáil whilst the suits kept quiet.

I don't only gauge an impression by clothes. Like I said, standards have been slipping. No different than people going to funerals in runners and track suits. It's just shows a lack of respect and dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Why does this really bother people so much? I am truly more concerned with what comes out of his mouth rather than his lovely slim fitted Copeland suit.

I really don't mind Ming all that much. I used to dislike the guy but admire him on some levels. I do think the dress wear, particularly that of Wallace, smacks of disrespect and does them no favours.

Presuming you are from Mayo. How would you feel if a Mayo player ran on to the pitch in a Championship game wearing a different Jersey to his team mates? ...and would he be allowed to stay on the pitch?

baldbear wrote: »
    You judge a person by what they wear? The suits are the people getting sentenced this week

And you don't judge people that wear suits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The two most recent ministers for health look like walking big mac's......... but what ya gonna do...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Ivor Callely was always smartly dressed. Not sure how that enhanced him as a person or public representative.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ivor-callely-a-controversial-and-divisive-figure-during-his-long-political-career-1.1711237

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/supreme-court-finds-in-favour-of-committee-over-callely-expenses-1.1755641

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/ivor-callely-pleads-guilty-to-fraudulently-using-an-invoice-30057455.html

I don't care what politicians wear once they're honest and do their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I really don't mind Ming all that much. I used to dislike the guy but admire him on some levels. I do think the dress wear, particularly that of Wallace, smacks of disrespect and does them no favours.

Same as myself, used to hate the guy and wondered what the hell he was doing in politics but he has altered my opinion of him. He is one of the few TD's that seems to have any kind of integrity. I don't agree with his manifest but I sure as hell respect him.

What he wears is of no significance, he is a TD, not a reporter of Paris fashion week. He could tone it down a bit but I don't see the need to wear suits.

Triangla wrote: »

He'd probably kit out well for the Mayo team, but be embroiled in a match fixing scandal before the quarter finals.
    Sharp looking jersey though.......... well pressed etc.

Not sure what this has to do with Wallace and Ming coming to the Dail dressed like tramps!

RoboRat wrote: »
    Same as myself, used to hate the guy and wondered what the hell he was doing in politics but he has altered my opinion of him. He is one of the few TD's that seems to have any kind of integrity. I don't agree with his manifest but I sure as hell respect him.

What he wears is of no significance, he is a TD, not a reporter of Paris fashion week. He could tone it down a bit but I don't see the need to wear suits.

Nothing about wearing suits, it's about having a bit of respect for our houses of the Oireachtas and the people you represent. Not directed at you RoboRat but it always surprises me how many people who claim they don't judge people by what they wear are quick to judge people who wear suits?

Not sure what this has to do with Wallace and Ming coming to the Dail dressed like tramps!

As per your original post: "Any person who arrives in to the Dail dressed as he and Wallace dress should never be permitted. Straight off the bat they are showing an arrogance, and a contempt for the Dail. But I guess there will folks who will defend it. Standards have been slipping in Ireland for many years now."

Wallace and Flanagan may dress casually. You say that this shows arrogance and contempt for the Dail. You say standards have been slipping in Ireland for many years now.

Well dressed, respectable seeming politicians have lied and cheated the state out of vast amounts of money for as long as I can remember. We all remember Charlie Haughey and his lovely Charvet shirts.

Callely is the most recent incarnation of this. Bending the rules and milking the state coffers all the while hiding under an air of respectability. The nice clothes, the nice house.

I have never seen an election poster with "Vote No 1 - I wear nice suits!".

I'm sure those who elected Ming Flanagan knew what they were voting for and they got that.

• Advertisement

There are tramps and then there are TRAMPS............

Wallace and Flanagan may dress casually. You say that this shows arrogance and contempt for the Dail. You say standards have been slipping in Ireland for many years now.

Well dressed, respectable seeming politicians have lied and cheated the state out of vast amounts of money for as long as I can remember. We all remember Charlie Haughey and his lovely Charvet shirts.

Callely is the most recent incarnation of this. Bending the rules and milking the state coffers all the while hiding under an air of respectability. The nice clothes, the nice house.

I'm sure those who elected Ming Flanagan knew what they were voting for and they got that.

Not sure what others have got to do with it. Not sure what politicians wearing appropriate attire has got to do with Ming and Wallace not wearing appropriate attire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

As per your original post: "Any person who arrives in to the Dail dressed as he and Wallace dress should never be permitted. Straight off the bat they are showing an arrogance, and a contempt for the Dail. But I guess there will folks who will defend it. Standards have been slipping in Ireland for many years now."

This is the flow of your logic.....
    I know a guy once who committed murder. He was wearing a suit.
    Never wear a suit to an interview.

This is the flow of your logic.....
    I know a guy once who committed murder. He was wearing a suit.
    Never wear a suit to an interview.

No.

This thread restarted with a post about Ming and Wallace not dressing up in suits for the dail.

As per my posts, wearing a suit is inconsequential to them both performing their jobs.

Suit does not guarantee any type of superior performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Presuming you are from Mayo. How would you feel if a Mayo player ran on to the pitch in a Championship game wearing a different Jersey to his team mates? ...and would he be allowed to stay on the pitch?
    Bit of a silly analogy. The jerseys are used to identify members of the same team for all concerned. Teammates, spectators, referees etc.

Unless you're suggesting we put all the Labour TDs in red, FF in blue, indies in yellow etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

No.

This thread restarted with a post about Ming and Wallace not dressing up in suits for the dail.

As per my posts, wearing a suit is inconsequential to them both performing their jobs.

Forget the thread. If you can't defend your post above don't go running to the thread to save you. In your post you said Callely was a crook and he wore a suit. I have no particular stand on society's dress codes but your argument against them re Callely is illogical. Formulate a proper argument against dress codes.

Pedro K wrote: »
    Bit of a silly analogy. The jerseys are used to identify members of the same team for all concerned. Teammates, spectators, referees etc.

Unless you're suggesting we put all the Labour TDs in red, FF in blue, indies in yellow etc.

Not at all the point I was making. I went to school, I respected I had to wear a school uniform. I worked in a company where there was a dress code which I respected also. I competed for an athletic club and I respected that club colours had to be worn in championship events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I went to school, I respected I had to wear a school uniform. I worked in a company where there was a dress code which I respected also. I competed for an athletic club and I respected that club colours had to be worn in championship events.

Ming was elected to the Dail, and it turns out there are no rules for what to wear there, so he can wear what he likes.

What was your point exactly?

Who said it does?

• Advertisement

Not at all the point I was making. I went to school, I respected I had to wear a school uniform. I worked in a company where there was a dress code which I respected also. I competed for an athletic club and I respected that club colours had to be worn in championship events.

Exactly. It's all down to certain standards. It's sorely lacking in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

If people in his constituency wanted that type of person representing them, that's what they would have voted for. Have a little bit of respect for democracy. This country was destroyed by suit wearing criminals with school ties and club memberships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Ming was elected to the Dail, and it turns out there are no rules for what to wear there, so he can wear what he likes.

What was your point exactly?

Dress according to your job, it's an unwritten social rule, one we all judge - to dress inappropriately is generally a sign of disrespect/contempt for the job, co-workers or worse, having personal issues

Seriously, if your lawyer turned up to court in a jeans and tshirt.. I'm sure you'd be the first to form a negative opinion

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Dress according to your job, it's an unwritten social rule, one we all judge - to dress inappropriately is generally a sign of disrespect/contempt for the job, co-workers or worse, having personal issues

Seriously, if your lawyer turned up to court in a jeans and tshirt.. I'm sure you'd be the first to form a negative opinion

No 1. Mistake, judging a book by its cover, Irish people won't be fooled by that shyte anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

ryan101 wrote: »
    No 1. Mistake, judging a book by its cover, Irish people won't be fooled by that shyte anymore.
    Problem is the book in question seems to have nothing between its slightly shabby covers.

Sorry, that's nonsense. Like it or not we as people do form opinions based on appearance. The issue is not how honest and decent and effective the dress codes makes the politician. To come to your place of work, in this case, Leinster house and to deliberately dress down, because that is what they are doing, is showing a lack of respect for the house and what the house represents. Nobody is saying they have to wear Armani suits, but those two boys are blatantly taking the p&S*.

• Advertisement

If people in his constituency wanted that type of person representing them, that's what they would have voted for. Have a little bit of respect for democracy. This country was destroyed by suit wearing criminals with school ties and club memberships.

He may well be representing me. I may even agree with him on some levels. Not sure if you have read my posts. I completely respect democracy and I am democratic enough not to judge people by what they wear. That is entirely different to having a bit of respect for who you represent and where you represent them.

Sorry, that's nonsense. Like it or not we as people do form opinions based on appearance. The issue is not how honest and decent and effective the dress codes makes the politician. To come to your place of work, in this case, Leinster house and to deliberately dress down, because that is what they are doing, is showing a lack of respect for the house and what the house represents. Nobody is saying they have to wear Armani suits, but those two boys are blatantly taking the p&S*.

Respect for Leinster house ? What respect did that hoor 'house' ever show to the ordinary working taxpayers of Ireland ?
    Respect for Leinster house and what it represents - LOL

Respect for Leinster house ? What respect did that hoor 'house' ever show to the ordinary working taxpayers of Ireland ?

You are missing the point. Nobody is saying that every suit wearing politician did his/her best for this country. That doesn't mean we show the house contempt. Leinster house represents a hell of a lot for a hell of a lot of people on this island. Ming and Wallace's dress code is completely inappropriate for their positions in the house.

You are missing the point. Nobody is saying that every suit wearing politician did his/her best for this country. That doesn't mean we show the house contempt. Leinster house represents a hell of a lot for a hell of a lot of people on this island. Ming and Wallace's dress code is completely inappropriate for their positions in the house.

No you're missing the point.
    People are not that stupid about Leinster house anymore, I'd have more respect for my local knocking shop than that den of scumbags.

And are you being selective in that comment or are you including Ming?

• Advertisement
Advertisement