Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The CIMA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Hi there, i agree you will fly through it and you can complete it fairly quickly if you wanted too. But if you take your time a month on each subject is more than enough considering you can sit an exam any time you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CHLuke

Thanks for the replies. I was a bit concerned I'd be undertaking something that could take a couple of years!

CHLuke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Just to clarify, I was referring to the cert only. The other levels are massive steps up and require a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fraggle79

Hi,
    Just wondering is it possible to complete the above and also the other subjects via the online CIMA learning facility? i.e
    is there an Irish variant of F1 or is it all the same.

Im thinking of doing the professional CIMA qualification via online study along with the relevant material available on their website.

thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ciaranisco

Hi all,

As mentioned on the previous page of this Thread - following BPP's decision not to offer lectures in the 3 Operational Level and Management level exams, Independent College on Fitzwilliam square got involved and took the 3 lecturers for these subjects from BPP.

However, they joined the party a bit late and had an open evening last week in their building on Fitzawilliam St. They're using the BPP materials also.

I preferred their timetable to DBS and decided to register with them to start my CIMA efforts for all 3 Operational courses (P1, F1 and E1).

Funny story, most other CIMA applicants who had been with or planned to use BPP, must have jumped for DBS or Griffith and as a result Independent have some fairly small classes, very small in fact. In fact, it's just ME for Operational level.

That's right, I'm now doing CIMA lectures with the former BPP lecturers in a one on one scenario. They started F1 last Tuesday and will be holding the first P1 lecture tonight. To my knowledge, it will be me on my lonesome again this evening. So if you're registered with CIMA and thinking of sitting Novembers Ops exams, might I suggest you give me a bit of company and join up with them. Otherwise, I can't miss a lecture because then the whole class will have failed to show up... Also, after a days work it's tough to stay focussed for 3 and a half hours in the evening and I would appreciate someone else answering the questions. So give them a call today: 087 6091888

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Floria

i am considering bpp online classroom. Anybody used before? Thanks for any suggestions.

Floria wrote: »
    i am considering bpp online classroom. Anybody used before? Thanks for any suggestions.

Not sure what way that works. I can say from experience that actual classroom learning was the most effective way for me. To do it any other way requires a level of self discipline I wasn't prepared to commit to.

You could try it for one exam and see how it goes.

For the certificate level and maybe the operational level you could study yourself but you have to do classroom study for the management and strategic levels as there is a big jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ticketsforsale

Hi, Just a quick question, I have received exemptions for 3 of the certificate level subjects and am required to study for the two accounting ones. How do most people study for certificate level? Did they do online course or just order text books, how did people find either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I got the book from a college library and supplemented that with a BPP Ipass CD I acquired.

• Advertisement

By the CIMA text books and at most one month per subject and you will be flying it

Hi all,

I'm sure there's plenty of folks out there who have experienced doing the pre-CIMA CBA exams and maybe had a similar experience. Aside from there being a limited number of locations in Dublin where you can sit the 2 hour Computer exams, most operate very restrictive time tables. I needed to pass 3 exams in the space of the last 2 weeks (before Sept 12th cutoff to register for November's Operational level exams). So just to give people an idea of how to approach this, here's what I found:

CIMA HQ off Harcourt St; They have one computer and are open 5 days a week. They have a morning and afternoon slot and charge 80 euros a pop, which is the cheapest available, but the slots fill up very, very quickly, when I called a month ago they had 5 available slots before Sept 12th all bunched together.

BPP: Had one day where they were hosting exams, a morning and afternoon session, but could host multiple people, but it was Sept 6th, I had 3 exams to sit. Also, it was 100 for BPP members and 125 for non members.

Liffey College: This is where I sat my 3 exams and I would strongly recommend it to others. I got to sit the exams at the time of my choosing during the day and it was even possible to sit them after work (which I did twice). I think they do weekends too. The price was 99 euro which is well worth the money for the convenience of it. The college is just off Francis St, near Christchurch. (Don't wear a jacket though, it can be a bit warm in the comp room).

I think Tallagh host the exams but like BPP, they're very infrequent.

Anywho, in summary, I would suggest if you are doing or are looking to do CIMA CBA exams, go Liffey College, the flexibility saved me a massive amount of stress and I got through 3 exams in the last week and a half without missing work and before the cut-off date where I needed the exemptions. Also the guys in the office are extremely friendly and are genuinely rooting for you to pass. I think they're getting involved in lectures in 2013 for CIMA too, or at least they mentioned it when I was there.

Now onwards to try and sit + pass 3 operational level exams in November... If something painful is worth doing, it's worth doing fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭spupazza

Hi guys, I'm looking for material to study all the 6 exams at operational/management level.
    If any of you has ebooks or printed books pls pm me.

Anyone got E2 and P2 books for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Anyone got any experience of the face to face PER assessment? I'm planning on going next month but for Stg£233 I'd want to be fairly sure of getting it! I've had an assessor look over my detailed record and they said I'm most likely to pass but couldn't guarantee it obviously.

Hi julyjane

I did mine online in July, no problem. I had it reviewed prior to submission by an assessor who said it was an excellently prepared detailed cv. They said it was "in line with what CIMA require".

I know a few people who have attended face to face assessment and all found it a straight forward process.

The key thing is to have it reviewed first and make sure it's right. It's more difficult if your application is refused initially and you have to reapply - more intense scrutiny. Clearly you've done the hard work already and had it reviewed so you should be fine.

Best of luck with it!

Btw. I have to commend the staff in the Dublin office who were of enormous help with the process. Great people to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ckww84

Looking for some grinds in F1 for the November sitting in 5 weeks. Struggling with cashflow statements and a few other areas. Anybody know anyone giving grinds in Dublin?

Gar Mulvey is running his F1 Revision course through International College in Dublin (on the corner of Fitzwilliam Sq) this Friday 19/10/12, Saturday and Sunday from 9.30-5.00 each day. I think they're charging 220 for the revision course. If you have Friday and the weekend free, I can't think of anything better for preparing for F1. It's a small class too. (5 people or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mickeymax

Hi all,

I need some help please. To cut a long story short, I started CIMA in college many years ago but dropped out in second year. At the time it seemed like the right thing to do but I do regret it. I am now almost 40 and have had a relatively successful career in sales and sales management. I have given serious thought to returning to study CIMA and in time qualify as I know sales has a shelf life. My problem is that I have to make sure I am making the right decision. I have a young family and they are obviously my main priority and motivator.

If possible, I would like your thoughts on the following please:
    • Am I to old to carve our a successful career in this field?
    • What route should I take after completing the cert in business accounting? (should I for example try and get experience at this stage and combine with study to progress further or should I try and pass more exams before trying to get experience?)
    • At what stage yould I be considered a part qualified accountant?
    • How difficult would it be to get practical work place experience?
    I have been in touch on a number of occasions with the CIMA office in Dublin and they have been very helpful but I would like some opinions from you guys who have possibly been in a similar position.

I would genuinely appreciate any feedback, good or bad!

Thanks,
    M.

Am I to old to carve our a successful career in this field?

Certainly not. I know many people who are still doing exams at that age. You will also find that there will be many people who are older than you in the classes.
    What route should I take after completing the cert in business accounting? (should I for example try and get experience at this stage and combine with study to progress further or should I try and pass more exams before trying to get experience?)

I would suggest looking at the various colleges (DBS, BPP - I think Independent are getting on board with CIMA - not sure). See what timetables suit you. Just get stuck in to the exams. No point putting off the exams regardless of what role you're in.
    At what stage would I be considered a part qualified accountant?

Technically your part qualifed once you have registered as a student and sucessfully apply for exemptions or pass your first exam.
    How difficult would it be to get practical work place experience?

Hard to say. You will get the experience eventually but the problem is you may have to take a step down to move into a more direct finance/accounting role. If you have a young family you need to consider the financial implications in the short/medium term.

You're sales background may be more suited a commercial accountant/ business analyst role. This would probably be a good move.

The hardest part is juggling CIMA exams and classes with an existing hectic job and home life.

If you are going for it just working on the exams and start applying for a more relevant role.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

On a different note - yours truly finally received his certs yesterday confirming his status as ACMA, CGMA. Its kind of strange actually seeing the certificates - the end of the line in relation to the studying and exams. obviously CPD kicks in now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Well done Mr_edge :)

Were you at the membership session in Dublin last week? I was there and my experience was approved but I still have T4B to do so I'm aiming for May now. I would have done it sooner but until reccently I thought I wouldn't get T4A for a long time yet.

@mickeymax I don't think 40 is too old by any means. I am 30 and there were people older than me there last week, and at exam seminars I've been to. (I've always done home study so don't know about classes) If anything 40 is a better age to be than 20, I find the older I'm getting the more I can focus on goals. 5 years ago my goal was having a good time with the good wages I was on. At 40 you still have a good 20-30+ years working life ahead of you.

Re: getting a job with experience, current salaries are not too far above the floor. I was unemployed for 18 months until this time last year, my current contract is nearly up and there doesn't seem to be much else around, although I'm not in Dublin so if you are there are more opportunities. Having worked in Sales I'm sure you've made a lot of contacts already and know a lot about a lot of industries so that is a big selling point for you. If you're not already on linkedin then set up an account and make a few connections

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ayeartilsunday

I am looking into joining CIMA, and just have a few questions......

1) Is there any tuition providers in the Galway region?

2) I would have to sit fundamentals of business mathematics first, does anyone have a recommendation on how to study this? Length of time to spend on it? Is the online study sufficient?

I would imagine if your working a month is more than enough time just by any text book and practise questions it is a fairly handy subject

I am looking into joining CIMA, and just have a few questions......

1) Is there any tuition providers in the Galway region?

2) I would have to sit fundamentals of business mathematics first, does anyone have a recommendation on how to study this? Length of time to spend on it? Is the online study sufficient?
    Unfortunately I'm not aware of any providers in Galway. It is a bit of a catch 22 - there aren't many CIMA students in the west of Ireland because there aren't any classes available and there aren't any classes because there aren't many students.

Maybe contact CIMA in Dublin or the West of Ireland Branch to be sure:http://www.cimaglobal.com/Our-locations/Ireland/Members/Branches/West-of-Ireland/

I don't know much about your second question - I imagine online study should be sufficient.

I noted each hour of study I did for my first certificate paper - all self study - this included reading, question practising, and mock exams. In total, I spent 54hours on C02 and passed on 1st go with 51% (!)

Currently I have 30 hours of study logged for C01 and I am confident I am close pass level, (mock I did yesterday gave me 48%). Another 10 or so hours should do it and I will book the exam.

There is enough "easy" marks available at certificate level to pass without too much stress. You don't need to know the book inside out.

I'll go to a tuition provided for the next level so I am not worried about missing too much with this approach. The aim is to get the cert out of the way.

Best of luck to all sitting exams this week

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

I was going to study some of the operational CIMA subjects online. I was wondering has anyone experience of studying CIMA online and if they had any reccomendations which provider would be best.

Hi, I bought the CIMA study texts and practice kits for the operational level. They are very thorough and more than enough to get you through the exams at operational level

• Advertisement

Anyone starting tuition in the Spring? Am I currently debating between taking 2 or 3 papers. I work full time. I could probably manage the 3 but would have easier few months doing just 2 I suppose.

Advertisement