Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppies (no not PWEI)

Options
  • 10-11-2007 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I'm living over here in London for the last 5 years and wanted an opinion.

I'm not an armchair republican but I was talking to the miss's over here (who is English) about the wearing of the poppies coming up to tomorrow. Givin that it commemerates the British Army's campaigns, that does include Ireland.

What's the thoughts on Poppy wearing from an Irish perspective while living in London?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day#United_Kingdom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Most people wont care whether you do or not. Those who do will probably go on about 800 years of rape, theft and murder. Someone will mention the long tradition of Irish soldiers serving in the British army. The counter will be they were traitors or at best, poverty stricken eejits whose treachery is somewhat reduced by that circumstance. Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....

At the end of the day, wear the poppy or dont as you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

there's a pretty big thread in After hours currently on the subject. there was a also an old thread here that had to be locked in the end. it can be one of those contentious issues for some, but most wont care. it's not a custom i'd be hard pressed to follow myself, but if i were in England and someone asked me to wear one i probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

If you want to wear one - wear one. The idea that the only way of remembering the slaughter of WWI is to wear a red poppy is a nonsense anyway. The BBC insisting that all their presenters wear one is nuts

I have lived here for 14 years and I have never bought one or worn one

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i did wear a poppy when in england, not to commemerate british army campaigns, but to remember all those who died in them, regardles of their race/creed/religions/nationality, etc, not just WW1, but WW2 and campaigns since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I would wear one. Born in a different time any one of us could be pushing up poppys in france.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The BBC insisting that all their presenters wear one is nuts

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Just like to mention that I was listening to "92°F (The 3rd degree)" when I saw this thread title.

A freak coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The poppy has now become a symbol of jingoism and is used to glorify the British Army in any and all conflicts they've been involved in.

(Also, IBTL!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

FTA69 wrote: »
    The poppy has now become a symbol of jingoism and is used to glorify the British Army in any and all conflicts they've been involved in.

(Also, IBTL!)

You forgot to say "in your opinion".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Eh, zombie thread, nobody adding anything worthwhile. Locked.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement