Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Kiith wrote: »
    So that site is saying i can get Lightning 1000 FTTH Gigabit Broadband for €24.54 per month for 3 months (€63.89 after). Those speeds seem...unbelievable for the area. Only other provider it lists is Satellite broadband.

Its quite possible I would think. Not from the area but been down for a few days holidays the last 2 summers and there are FTTH Drop Point boxes on poles all over the place down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I have been Virgin Media customer for years now, but since I moved into new duplex house I am regularly having issues with speed as router is placed in living room while my "office" (if you can call it an office) is placed in the opposite room of the house, on the first floor. While connection is almost perfect in living room I barely get the signal in to office and already tried number of ways to make sure I have somewhat stable connection, but to this date I often drop out of calls. At the moment, the setup is router in living room and then another, personal one in the corridor below the office and I do get 30 Mbps but the problem with dropped off connection during meetings is still prevailent.

I noticed that in the corridor, where I have my second router, there is "eir" box in the wall and I was thinking if switching to eir might make sense? I know they are, to say the least, not that much liked, but simple fact of placement of the router might finally give me a much better internet connection throughout the house.

Any opinions / experience with similar issues?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    Any opinions / experience with similar issues?
    Have you tried using a Homeplug? Have plug 1 right beside the router, connect it with an ethernet cable, plug 2 beside your computer also connected with an ethernet cable. I've been using that for years, and it's far better then any wifi signal i could get.

This is the one i'm using at the moment, and it's perfect.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/tp-link-tl-pa4010kit-v1-20-n600-powerline-starter-kit-2-pack/1207r

Have you tried using a Homeplug? Have plug 1 right beside the router, connect it with an ethernet cable, plug 2 beside your computer also connected with an ethernet cable. I've been using that for years, and it's far better then any wifi signal i could get.

This is the one i'm using at the moment, and it's perfect.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/tp-link-tl-pa4010kit-v1-20-n600-powerline-starter-kit-2-pack/1207r

Tried, didn’t help, probably too much cable/interference :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm with Pure FTTH. on a 500mb package, getting about 450mb throughout the house via Unifi access points.

Irish based and very helpful customer support (for the most part) definitely helps. Although when increasing from 100mb to 500mb I had a few problems with them repeatedly forgetting to flick the switch...

Edit, just did a speed test and got 473/48.2 up/down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭brady12

Any one any suggestions bar Lightnet or imagine ? Both on the shortlist . Vodafone through phone line has become basically unusable

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Tried, didn’t help, probably too much cable/interference :(

You didn't by any chance plug it into an extension cable did you ?

amdaley28 wrote: »
    You didn't by any chance plug it into an extension cable did you ?

Nope :(

Nope :(

The only things I can suggest are.
    (1) Reset router. It may need replacing. If you don't know how to reset the router then go to number 2 on the list.
    (2) Contact Virgin customer services.
    (3) The problem is with the software used during the calls.

Do you get dropouts during regular internet usage ?

amdaley28 wrote: »
    The only things I can suggest are.
    (1) Reset router. It may need replacing. If you don't know how to reset the router then go to number 2 on the list.
    (2) Contact Virgin customer services.
    (3) The problem is with the software used during the calls.

Do you get dropouts during regular internet usage ?

1. did, didn't help
    2. did, didn't help :)
    3. nope, across various ones

It's simply that wifi signal is low and when I use router in between I suppose it simply dies off from time to time (high ping or whatever). If I don't switch to eir I might actually ask Virgin if they could put their "box" where eir one is...

• Advertisement

1. did, didn't help
    2. did, didn't help :)
    3. nope, across various ones

It's simply that wifi signal is low and when I use router in between I suppose it simply dies off from time to time (high ping or whatever). If I don't switch to eir I might actually ask Virgin if they could put their "box" where eir one is...

Well if Virgin didn't help & you're out of contract then you might be better off moving providers.
    I don't fancy Eir myself but it all depends what's available in your area.

I'm going with Eir, as they can get out to me this week whereas the rest will take a while.

I just know i will regret this decision :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'm going with Eir, as they can get out to me this week whereas the rest will take a while.

I won’t say you’re mad but.... I understand when the install date is nearer.

I really tried to hold out, but for the 2nd day in a row this was my office due to bad mobile connectivity at my house.

3cHNyfe.png

Great for an hour or two, but not ideal for any serious work.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tubercolossus

I'm currently with Eir, and it's actually not too bad, connection-speed and maintenance of service-wise. I do understand that they are reputed to be nightmarish when you need customer service, though. Thankfully however, I haven't needed to interact with them much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I have Eir fibre and can only get 90MB to my house. With 5 of us its not great when we are all online. I can't get a faster connection (to my knowledge the line in my area is only 90MB max) so I was wondering if its possible to get a second connection/router that's not via the fibre/phone line and just split the load that way?

Had Eir (actually KN guy) gut to check the house on Tuesday, but there is an issue with the ducts to the house apparently. They've scheduled another visit on Tuesday to install new ducts, lay a cable into the house and get fibre setup, all at no cost, which is great. Hopefully will have 1GB by Tuesday evening.

Need to call the landlord to make sure he's ok with them having to lay a cable under the driveway...should only be a minor bit of digging, as most of it will go under the grass. Just a single line across the tarmac driveway. It will get his house fibre'd up at no cost to him, so I don't imagine he will mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Anyone have any views on Pure Telecom vs Vodafone for FTTH service? Id lean pure as had bad experiences with VF in the past but have nothing to go on with Pure?

All other providers are over priced in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

How do you determine who can offer the fastest in your area?

We’re currently with Eir at home and get around 90mbpb on a good day.

Moving up the road, would love to do fibre if I could.

Do I just ring everyone/all providers?

Airwire.ie/avail (thanks Ah-Watch) is what i used.

• Advertisement

narodvale wrote: »
    How do you determine who can offer the fastest in your area?

We’re currently with Eir at home and get around 90mbpb on a good day.

Moving up the road, would love to do fibre if I could.

Do I just ring everyone/all providers?

They are all using same infrasturcture so speeds wont/shouldnt vary.

Either you have FTTC or FTTH home... on FTTH there are 2 providers in Ireland Open Eir or Siro (ESB)

Real question is price and customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

fionny wrote: »
    They are all using same infrasturcture so speeds wont/shouldnt vary.

Either you have FTTC or FTTH home... on FTTH there are 2 providers in Ireland Open Eir or Siro (ESB)

Real question is price and customer support.

Thanks @fionny,

To determine whether we have FTTC or FTTH is a case of contacting Ireland Open Eir, or Siro?

I have a feeling we are going to be stuck with basic 'up to 100mbps' again which is a nightmare as we both work from home and struggle with this currently

Work will cover our internet, but that you can't buy what's not available to the house

narodvale wrote: »
    Thanks @fionny,

To determine whether we have FTTC or FTTH is a case of contacting Ireland Open Eir, or Siro?

I have a feeling we are going to be stuck with basic 'up to 100mbps' again which is a nightmare as we both work from home and struggle with this currently

Work will cover our internet, but that you can't buy what's not available to the house

As Kiith mentioned this is a useful site Airwire.ie/avail it will show you whats available to you... (see my screenshot)

Ideally youll want Fibre to the Home or Siro available to you. if its upto 100mbs its VDSL only.

You can then price around.

So much for getting broadband this week. KN guys came out today, but can't do anything. Network blockage somewhere, and there's an ESB box in the way of where they'd planned to tunnel the duct. They've put in for a Network Blockage, to see if Eir can move their point further up the road. If they can do that, KN can install the duct. **** knows how long that'll take though.

Completely ****s me over, and need to figure out alternatives now.

Great start to the morning :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get BB in Naas, new build house, I'm thinking of getting the Vodafone gigabit and tv deal for €55 a month.

The house says its configured to receive Eir and Virgin broadband, am I wrong to assume there's no real difference in tech, so vodafone should work ok?

Edit: I work from home and game online, so reliability is important to me.

Xios wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to get BB in Naas, new build house, I'm thinking of getting the Vodafone gigabit and tv deal for €55 a month.

The house says its configured to receive Eir and Virgin broadband, am I wrong to assume there's no real difference in tech, so vodafone should work ok?

Edit: I work from home and game online, so reliability is important to me.

2 different infrastructures. Virgin is a fair bit more expensive runs on cable.

Vf is prob open eir. A lot cheaper. (I heard their tv is ****e) vf service is awful with all outsourced agents in Egypt.

Look into pure or sky also.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 st3veebee

Looking to get setup in new apartment with broadband in Dublin 15, contacted PURE who have a good price but can't get over to initial setup until 3 weeks. I said that I really need it sooner if possible so will ask around other providers, but the PURE contact told me that every broadband supplier in Dublin use the same technicians etc so 3 weeks minimum no matter what.

Is this true? Anyone get a sooner appointment than this? Are PURE any good also??

Depends on the setup i think. KN Group are used by a lot of them to do installs, so the delay might be with them.

st3veebee wrote: »
    Looking to get setup in new apartment with broadband in Dublin 15, contacted PURE who have a good price but can't get over to initial setup until 3 weeks. I said that I really need it sooner if possible so will ask around other providers, but the PURE contact told me that every broadband supplier in Dublin use the same technicians etc so 3 weeks minimum no matter what.

Is this true? Anyone get a sooner appointment than this? Are PURE any good also??

I’m in cork and just signed up with them. Ordered on Wednesday last week and install on Thursday so I guess it’s legit how busy they are and they are right it’s open eir so either eir themselves or kn. unless you have an option on siro or virgin then you will be stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

Hi all,

Fibre to the home is finally available in my area.

I'm with Airwire right now for fixed wireless and I do think their customer service is pretty good, so happy to stick with them but they are quite expensive.

How do Digiweb compare? Does it matter who we go with in terms of speed? I want to get 1000/100

Cheers

Advertisement