Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom changing Name?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All the brands or just eircom W/S?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »
    All the brands or just eircom W/S?

Looks like Eircom overall, according to the article on Silicon Republic.

I assume they want to bring the Eircom and Meteor brand together to create a single brand for their quad play products.

That would make a lot of sense going up against a newly launched Virgin Media quad play brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

They have registered a number of names

Eirmobile, Eirbusiness, Eirstore, Eirnetworks, Eircare, Eirwholesale, Eirphonebook, EirTV and Eirbroadband and Openeir.

Openeir has connotations of OpenReach in the UK

irishtimes.com/business/technology/cantillon-rebranding-is-name-of-the-eircom-game-1.2335334

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

joe_99 wrote: »
    They have registered a number of names

Eirmobile, Eirbusiness, Eirstore, Eirnetworks, Eircare, Eirwholesale, Eirphonebook, EirTV and Eirbroadband and Openeir.

Openeir has connotations of OpenReach in the UK

irishtimes.com/business/technology/cantillon-rebranding-is-name-of-the-eircom-game-1.2335334

Dropping the com maybe?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Pretty ugly names IMO.

I'd think better to step away from the Eircom name completely, due to the negative connotations many people have with it about the IPO and years of underinvestment.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Pretty ugly names IMO.

I'd think better to step away from the Eircom name completely, due to the negative connotations many people have with it about the IPO and years of underinvestment.

They should've called it Sen(pronounced like Pen) to counteract the Siro appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

They are all horrendous names.

Again this is more expensive re-branding. Eircom have worked really hard to turn around what once was in my opinion a bad name. They've earned a great deal of respect for their brand through investment and new work practices and smart outsourcing. Then they decide to go through the expense of re-branding.

I'd prefer to see that money going into finishing the cabinet roll-out and then onto the FTTH roll-out.

Agreed - they really are horrendus. They are dropping the com and then putting a raft of words in it's place. eircom meant something i.e. eire's communcations network. But eirbusiness, eirstore etc just nonsense. They needed to make a clean break.

Openeir is just a complete copy of openreach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Eircon

Thinking about it, I reckon it might not be any of those names. But even if the marketing department comes up with the best name ever, I think it's still a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

ConEir : Take Your Breath Away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Keeping the Meteor brand apparently.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Keeping the Meteor brand apparently.
    Sure, they could just change it to Mete-eir :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

No rebrand is going to cover up todays debacle anyway. ;)

It's like I made today happen after praising them so much. Pretty incredible that Dublin area calls can be taken out by one "major issue". Eircom HQ has hardly burned down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

I have to say this, do you think they are .. erring on the side of caution!!

and this has to be a wind up? Q. Who do you work for? eir( sounds like err)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Praetorian wrote: »
    It's like I made today happen after praising them so much. Pretty incredible that Dublin area calls can be taken out by one "major issue". Eircom HQ has hardly burned down ;)

Not just Dublin even!

joe_99 wrote: »

Err......yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

roast wrote: »
    No rebrand is going to cover up todays debacle anyway. ;)

the new brand "Eir" is suitable for today, they dropped most of the "com" today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

They are all horrendous names.

Again this is more expensive re-branding. Eircom have worked really hard to turn around what once was in my opinion a bad name. They've earned a great deal of respect for their brand through investment and new work practices and smart outsourcing. Then they decide to go through the expense of re-branding.

I'd prefer to see that money going into finishing the cabinet roll-out and then onto the FTTH roll-out.

They have far from turned it around, the Eircom brand is completely toxic.

It ranks bottom of the pile of Irish companies alongside Bank of Ireland, AIB and Irish Water in terms of reputation and well behind all major ISPs in this country.

They're decimated in areas covered by alternative operators such as UPC or Magnet fibre and despite a significant advertising spend and heavy promotion are not making any real headway in winning any of those customers back.

They are even losing their retail customers to the resellers of functionally identical Eircom wholesale product offerings such as Sky, Vodafone, Magnet, Digiweb and Pure Telecom.

Much of it's woes are entirely their own fault. Their customer service has always been (and from personal experience, still is) dreadful. They took advantage of their monopoly position to the serious detriment of the customer. They are consistently the most expensive yet least attractive offering out of a collection of similar competing products. Their base line rental is the most expensive in the world. Quite a lot of their core landline customers will also remember the Telecom Eireann flotation debacle and subsequent share scheme fallout.

The only success and real change they've demonstrated in recent times has been in their wholesale division. Yet this is not part of the Eircom brand as such as all wholesale does is provide the white label POTS, xDSL and interconnectivity to the retail providers - Eircom retail being the "Eircom" that customers see and interact with.

Unless they're prepared to introduce the same sea-change in thinking in retail that they've seen put into wholesale, this whole rebranding will be about as effective as their hefty marketing budget has been at winning back the hundreds of thousands of lost customers...

Kensington wrote: »
    They have far from turned it around, the Eircom brand is completely toxic.

It ranks bottom of the pile of Irish companies alongside Bank of Ireland, AIB and Irish Water in terms of reputation and well behind all major ISPs in this country.

They're decimated in areas covered by alternative operators such as UPC or Magnet fibre and despite a significant advertising spend and heavy promotion are not making any real headway in winning any of those customers back.

They are even losing their retail customers to the resellers of functionally identical Eircom wholesale product offerings such as Sky, Vodafone, Magnet, Digiweb and Pure Telecom.

Much of it's woes are entirely their own fault. Their customer service has always been (and from personal experience, still is) dreadful. They took advantage of their monopoly position to the serious detriment of the customer. They are consistently the most expensive yet least attractive offering out of a collection of similar competing products. Their base line rental is the most expensive in the world. Quite a lot of their core landline customers will also remember the Telecom Eireann flotation debacle and subsequent share scheme fallout.

The only success and real change they've demonstrated in recent times has been in their wholesale division. Yet this is not part of the Eircom brand as such as all wholesale does is provide the white label POTS, xDSL and interconnectivity to the retail providers - Eircom retail being the "Eircom" that customers see and interact with.

Unless they're prepared to introduce the same sea-change in thinking in retail that they've seen put into wholesale, this whole rebranding will be about as effective as their hefty marketing budget has been at winning back the hundreds of thousands of lost customers...

If you speak to most customers, they are very happy with the improvements at Eircom. The VDSL rollout has been a revelation for the company. It's been carried out in a professional and efficient manner. The speeds and quality of service that have been delivered are beyond anything they have done before. Customer service in my opinion is good, better than Sky, Vodafone and the disaster that is Magnet. Triple and quad play offerings are convenient for customers.

Incumbent's always lose a lot of customers when they lose their dominant monopolistic positions. The line rental can't be blamed on Eircom. You should be blaming Comreg on that.

They have turned around a bad name and made it better. It's far from perfect. I agree their bundles aren't competitive enough. But when I'm recommending telecoms to companies and people, based on telephone line delivered services, I describe Eircom as the expensive, most reliable option. Sometimes you pay for the quality of service you get.

If you speak to most customers, they are very happy with the improvements at Eircom. The VDSL rollout has been a revelation for the company. It's been carried out in a professional and efficient manner. The speeds and quality of service that have been delivered are beyond anything they have done before.

Incumbent's always lose a lot of customers when they lose their dominant monopolistic positions. The line rental can't be blamed on Eircom. You should be blaming Comreg on that.

They have turned around a bad name and made it better. It's far from perfect. I agree their bundles aren't competitive enough. But when I'm recommending telecoms to companies and people, based on telephone line delivered services, I describe Eircom as the expensive, most reliable option. Sometimes you pay for the quality of service you get.

That's exactly what she's saying.

eircom wholesale are doing great.
    eircom retail are a shower of ****.

No idea what your experience has been with eircom retail's customer service, but my family members have had nothing but trouble.
    I've been with eircom only once in my life, for a year as line rental only operator back before we got any kind of fair competition. Had no trouble with them at all, but I never had to call them except to cancel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Eircom have unveiled their new look

Telecom_%C3%89ireann.png
    File:Telecom_%C3%89ireann.png

To be honest the Eir brand is terrible and will open them up to lots of silly Eir..... memes.

Bad move if they go ahead with this brand IMO. Hopefully not a sign of Eircom reverting to old ways after their very successful VDSL rollout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you speak to most customers, they are very happy with the improvements at Eircom. The VDSL rollout has been a revelation for the company. It's been carried out in a professional and efficient manner. The speeds and quality of service that have been delivered are beyond anything they have done before. Customer service in my opinion is good, better than Sky, Vodafone and the disaster that is Magnet. Triple and quad play offerings are convenient for customers.

I deal with Eircom a lot from both the residential and business side of things.
    Granted when the service works, it's superb.
    eFibre is rock solid, fast, low pings and latency.
    But you will generally get just as good a service off the resellers - so no kudos as such there.
    (Although I have to commend them that Eircom's peering matrix is one of the best in the country and you ONLY get this via Eircom retail)

It's their backend support and administration which are an absolute nightmare to deal with and THIS is where they let themselves down so badly.

If you have a billing error, forget a quick or easy resolution.
    They don't proactively follow up on issues.
    They do not return phone calls. Ever.
    The default response is to blame internal wiring, networks, computers, or just about anything other than admit an issue themselves - despite the fact it can be clearly demonstrated it's an issue on their end.
    (Typical example - during their outage earlier this week they were playing down the sheer extent of the numbers affected by it rather than being open and upfront about it)

Their scheduling for installs and appointments is just as bad - albeit this is all done by a third party.

They've gone as far as publicly admitting themselves that they've treated customers dreadfully in a recent interview:
    http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/eircom-customer-service-2145168-Jun2015/

So they can rebrand all they want - if they aren't going to change their practice in the retail arm of things it's not going to matter a damn.

Kensington wrote: »
    But you will generally get just as good a service off the resellers - so no kudos as such there.

I agree with most of what you say, but I do think Eircom Wholesale do deserve major kudos for rolling out such a high quality, high performing and robust FTTC network in record time.

It is also fantastic to see that they aren't just limiting it to the usual urban areas and are also rolling out to many rural areas.

Finally Eircom wholesale deserve big kudos for becoming so open and transparent, with lots of info available about rollout estimates and product details. Much better then most other ISP's you see in Europe who tend to be very secretive.

Also I wouldn't be so sure that the resellers have any better customer support.

I had an absolute nightmare with getting Vodafone VDSL for my parents. The install went well, but next day their entire phone line died. No dial tone, no broadband. It remained this way for 6 weeks!!!!!!!!

Multiple calls to Vodafone support, but really they couldn't care less and seemed to do almost nothing to fix it!!

Also my sister had a pretty terrible experience with Vodafone. She was on ADSL with them and they actually charged her for going over the cap! This was despite the fact that she was paying more then new customers who got unlimited. Customer support couldn't care less, refused to wave the extra charges and refused to move to the cheaper unlimited package unless she signed up to a new 12 month contract.

Needless to say she told them to feck off and got a great cheap deal in moving to Sky. Idiotic performance by Vodafone, certainly not a way to retain customers. Concerns me about how the new SIRO network will perform.

Sky customer support seems much better. But two things I don't like about them:

1) They only use expensive phone numbers for contacting both their sales and support teams. Feels very cheap of them. Even a standard 021,01 number would allow people to use free calling minutes they might have.

2) They have a weird way of installing VDSL where they use two separate companies. One to do the customer side, the other to do the cab side. With Eircom and Vodafone they guarantee you have working broadband before they leave. With Sky they leave and say your broadband will start working a few hours later. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

So no one is perfect!

It's standard practice to sign a new year or more contract for a change in service, also no company should ever switch you do another package without your consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

compuglobalhypermeganet

Waits for Microsoft takeover bid...

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    , also no company should ever switch you do another package without your consent.

They cold call customers to try to sell them new products. All it takes is a 'yes' on the phone to do the deal. I answered the phone at an elderly and confused relatives house recently and found them politely inquiring about how the service was and if they would be better on a different package.. i found it unethical as my relative would be completely led in a conversation like that and has never expressed a wish to upgrade.
    I know there is a cooling off period but this has little relevance as it depends on a relative finding the mail etc.

When I get such calls at home I always say that i dont deal on such matters by phone but to send me a letter with their proposals. Needless to say, they never do.

Advertisement