Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Endurance Racing News Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

ehhh what kind of sorcery have Audi used on their cars, looking immense atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

ARGINITE wrote: »

Thanksfor that, the wife is sick of me hogging the living room all day,time to retire to the computer, just after the WSB :P

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

really wasn't expecting Audi to be this dominant, Toyota are still using 2012 car but i expected them to be much closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Deadly buzz! Hit on Eurosport thinking that their hour long show would be highlights, didnt realise that the race wasnt over!

What's happened so far, seems like it's a decent enough race

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Anybody have an update on the Porsche WEC P1 car?

Is it going to be a factory effort only or will there be customer cars?

I know it's impossible but I would love to see a Ferrari P1 :)

Audi testing Le mans spec car at monza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Grim. wrote: »
    Audi testing Le mans spec car at monza

Watching that makes me want to see an IndyCar in oval trim do the same.

That's a class video, cant wait for Le Mans now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thats an insane sound, you expect to hear a high pitched noise and its literally just like a gale forced wind.

Is that the odd note that was being referred to in Abu Dhabi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Sounds more like a low flying airplane than a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Gintonious wrote: »
    Thats an insane sound, you expect to hear a high pitched noise and its literally just like a gale forced wind.

Is that the odd note that was being referred to in Abu Dhabi?

I remember hearing them for the first time a few years ago at Le Mans and being very confused. All turbo whine and road noise. Apparently the drivers had to get engine noise pumped into their headphones because it was so quiet.

• Advertisement

hmmm they were also testing lmp2 spec tyres (small diameter and narrower) probably gathering data for next years car

8678919154_e4f2f7814e_b.jpg

compared with this years wheels

8678921002_ae8b2f5791_b.jpg

I've only recently really began to pay attention to the technical side of things in LMP.

The difference in sounds now are insane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I've only recently really began to pay attention to the technical side of things in LMP.

The difference in sounds now are insane!

You haven't lived until you've stood beside a racetrack and physically felt a v8 Corvette thunder by...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Zcott wrote: »
    You haven't lived until you've stood beside a racetrack and physically felt a v8 Corvette thunder by...

You can literally feel the backfire go through your body!!

Zcott wrote: »

Earthquakes!! They are just epic

Audi LMP technology makes it to the road cars too, so efficient diesel hybrid technology is well proven.

I agree that they may not be too impressive from a racefans point of view, but they are amazing from an engineering and technology point of view, deceptively fast

• Advertisement

Whats the difference between the standard Audi and that new "long-tail"?

Whats the difference between the standard Audi and that new "long-tail"?

The long tail is designed to have a slightly lower drag coefficient. It's developed solely with Le Mans in mind because of the need for top speed down the Mulsanne straights. It probably wont be ultra effective at Spa when they run it but it will be good to get some race weekend data on it

frostie500 wrote: »
    The long tail is designed to have a slightly lower drag coefficient. It's developed solely with Le Mans in mind because of the need for top speed down the Mulsanne straights. It probably wont be ultra effective at Spa when they run it but it will be good to get some race weekend data on it

Id agree but the Eau Rouge>Radillion>Kemmel Straight and then Blanchimont should provide interesting data. Not 100% sure but Blanchimont would be taken flat in 6th in a LMP1 too

Id agree but the Eau Rouge>Radillion>Kemmel Straight and then Blanchimont should provide interesting data. Not 100% sure but Blanchimont would be taken flat in 6th in a LMP1 too

Yeah they'll get good data for it at some corners and Eau Rouge, Blanchimont could give them decent feedback for the Porsche Curves

Comparison of the different specs of factory LMP1 cars at spa.

Audi_123_Toyota_78_WEC_LMP1_1920.jpg

great shot of of the Audi's engine bay

920408_587387614619875_978038891_o.jpg

new exhaust exits infront of rear wheel

934822_10200857497987389_1828457283_n.jpg

WEC Spa Stream now live with RLM audio http://www.audi-liveracing.com/desktop/index.jsp?l=en_GB

Big off for the #25 there

Big off for the #25 there

Almost a tradition now sadly that someone loses it badly at Eau Rouge (not always caused by driver error), has happened for the last 3 years :(

• Advertisement

Comparison of the different specs of factory LMP1 cars at spa.

Audi_123_Toyota_78_WEC_LMP1_1920.jpg

Big difference between the toyotas there.

Big difference between the toyotas there.

#7 is 2013 spec and #8 is 2012

Is the #3 Audi the long tail? Looks slimmer at the front as well, lights are lower etc.

Is the #3 Audi the long tail? Looks slimmer at the front as well, lights are lower etc.

Yeah the 3 is the Le Mans spec car. Interesting to see some of the subtle differences the bose is less bulbous than in the WEC spec car as well as the refined low downforce aero packages. I dont think that the lights are lower or that there is anything substantially different between the cars, it looks more like the angle is slightly different (only by one or two degrees) for each picture but I cant be sure

There is more fairing on the #3 and also extended body work at the rear as well. Love these types of pictures.

There is more fairing on the #3 and also extended body work at the rear as well. Love these types of pictures.

Yeah it's nice to see all the little details on the cars that we obviously cant catch with most other shots

Le Mans is starting to get closer now, I've booked my flights and accomadation so I'm starting to get pretty excited! Have to say that this race is one that I'm really looking forward to. I'm lucky to be able to get to a lot of races but there's something unique and special about Le Mans. I was sorting out a load of my photos recently for my portfolio so decided to post a few from last year's Sebring race here. If anyone's interested the full gallery is here
    IMG_4769-M.jpg

IMG_5009-M.jpg

IMG_4922-M.jpg

IMG_4855-M.jpg

IMG_5096-M.jpg

IMG_5398-M.jpg

IMG_5323-M.jpg

IMG_6169-M.jpg

IMG_6195-M.jpg

IMG_6565-M.jpg

IMG_7104-M.jpg

IMG_7663-M.jpg

IMG_7865-M.jpg

IMG_7962-M.jpg

pic of the Audi exhaust exit

Audi_R18_Echappements_souffles_bis.jpg

For anyone interested, Dunlop are running a competition where you can create an "Art Car".
    You can create a design, which if you win, will be uses on the JWM Ferrari 458 GT2 at Le Mans this year.
    I believe their Facebook page has the full details (according to the email I got).

• Advertisement

Radiolemans.com for commentary

EDIT now on main feed

Rumors are making the rounds on a few forums that Audi have hired a number of ex Peugeot Sport engine personnel.

The talk is a 20HP increase in power from a change to the injectors (slightly higher fuel consumption because of a pressure increase to 2800 bar)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

Just thought I'd post this as Le Mans is next month, a compilation from my trip there last year.
    I had hundreds of gigs worth of pics and video to get through so although its a long enough video it only conveys a snapshot of the event.

Note: Its me in the blue helmet karting(who spins off, lol) and SniperSight in the yellow(Sennaesque) helmet.

Also, to get an idea of the sound go to 13:22 and turn it up:)

unbelievable driving

Thats hardcore, I wonder did he have to get a special seat made to accommodate the balls necessary to drive like that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

unbelievable driving

running :rolleyes: rings around the rest

Apparently petrol LMP1 cars have been allowed an extra 3ltrs of fuel, diesels stay the same. Thats according to an Audi Sport update on Facebook.

nearly that time of the year again

996945_10151521226297912_1009307901_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

nearly that time of the year again

996945_10151521226297912_1009307901_n.jpg

I thought at first the field looked a bit small, took a minute to realise there's only one from each team :)

Killinator wrote: »
    I thought at first the field looked a bit small, took a minute to realise there's only one from each team :)

Not quite - both ADR LMP2's are in there for some reason. Murphy Prototypes are on the 6th row

• Advertisement
Advertisement