Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - should they stop announcements of stops?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

Mr.S wrote: »
    Legal Requirement it may be, but the Irish ones are really annoying! As well as the NO SMOKING ones

Why would you find the passive use of a minority language native to this country annoying? Perhaps a little bit of tolerance and an open mind would not go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Its great to have them in irish! People are seriously losing their pride......

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

They should get rid of the English. People would get used to the Irish names after a while, that's if they haven't already.

Legal Requirement it may be, but the Irish ones are really annoying! As well as the NO SMOKING ones

In your Opinion, I find them nice.
    Isn't it nice to have a language exclusive to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Why do they annoy you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

They're definitely good, but like other people have said they're a pain during the morning commute. There are no confused tourists on a 7am bus from Tallaght to town that need every street name called out. Even if they had quieter announcements in the morning, for some reason it's much more grating in the morning that any other time.

Also, has anyone noticed when the announcement for Phibsborough Road is called the "Bothar Bhaile Phib" part sounds really sing-songy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

But has anyone noticed that after while you dont notice them. Its like living on a railway track. When you first move into the house you constantly hear the train. But after a week or two dont notice it at all. Like when you use the emergency exit on the NYC subway you set off an alarm that is 80DB(extremely loud), but everyone is used to the noise and doesnt look twice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlHHydS0OVQ

I do find the made up Irish names for some areas to be ridiculous. Like Charleston in Finglas and Santry Cross in Ballymun. Both of which are names given by developers to the areas.

I'm one of the most anti-Irish language people out there but the Dublin Bus announcements actually don't bother me for the most part. They could do away with the fluff, such as the "no smoking", "always use a handrail" and "exit via centre doors" announcements but other than that it's harmless. Has helped me out on some unknown routes when I didn't really know where to get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

No problem with these announcements here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

Great idea to have the stop announcements and in Irish too.

• Advertisement

Okay anyone in favor of getting rid of the announcements, imagine going to new york.
    Get on the subway and you want to get off at a certain address, but no announcements. It is easy miss.

Tourism is one of the things that is driving Ireland. Refusing that is like ripping up €50 of your yearly wages.
    Unless your a politician, it would bother you doing that.

As for the irish announcements, get a bit of pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,302 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Its great to have them in irish! People are seriously losing their pride......
    As for the irish announcements, get a bit of pride.

I get pissed off at this idea that being anti-Gaeilge is a sign of some lack of pride in the country.
    Like with the height of respect who the hell are you to decide what makes anyone a proud Irish person or not?

Personally I take my Irish pride in the achievements on the world stage of the likes of Ken Doherty, Rory McIlroy, Aiden O'Brien, Robbie Keane, U2, Aiden Gillen, Daniel Day Lewis, etc or the achievements of the country as a whole, our welcoming and friendliness, our peacekeepers abroad, our willingness to travel and broaden our horizons. Hundreds of other things.

If I'd happily see the language die (and I would) then that doesn't mean I lack anything in pride.

I get pissed off at this idea that being anti-Gaeilge is a sign of some lack of pride in the country.
    Like with the height of respect who the hell are you to decide what makes anyone a proud Irish person or not?

Personally I take my Irish pride in the achievements on the world stage of the likes of Ken Doherty, Rory McIlroy, Aiden O'Brien, Robbie Keane, U2, Aiden Gillen, Daniel Day Lewis, etc or the achievements of the country as a whole, our welcoming and friendliness, our peacekeepers abroad, our willingness to travel and broaden our horizons. Hundreds of other things.

If I'd happily see the language die (and I would) then that doesn't mean I lack anything in pride.

I have to disagree strongly with you.
    Being anti-gaeilge lacks national pride, no second thought about.
    I am not saying you have none, but it shows a lack
    What I am saying is you have no pride in the irish language, which takes away from your pride. Its simple.

There is nothing wrong with disliking the language or even hating it, but saying that you would happily see the language die is going too far. And Many will probably agree.

It's sad to hear people say they wouldn't care if the language died. Language is what distinguishes you from the rest and binds you to your own people.
    Unfortunately the way Irish is taught in our schools and the pressure to get results in it have alienated many people, it needs to be taught in a more informal and conversational way so it becomes second nature.
    Ironically it was reported in the press a while back that demand for tuition in Irish is at an unprecedentedly high level in Loyalist areas of Belfast, Gaelic was the spoken language here until the eighteenth century but, like most of the country, fell out of use. It could turn out to be a unifying factor among the people there.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    It's sad to hear people say they wouldn't care if the language died. Language is what distinguishes you from the rest and binds you to your own people.
    Unfortunately the way Irish is taught in our schools and the pressure to get results in it have alienated many people, it needs to be taught in a more informal and conversational way so it becomes second nature.
    Ironically it was reported in the press a while back that demand for tuition in Irish is at an unprecedentedly high level in Loyalist areas of Belfast, Gaelic was the spoken language here until the eighteenth century but, like most of the country, fell out of use. It could turn out to be a unifying factor among the people there.

What we should do is remove the English out of any signs, place names and anything possible and force people to speak irish

What we should do is remove the English out of any signs, place names and anything possible and force people to speak irish

I assume that's a tongue in cheek remark, it's thinking like that which has caused the animosity towards Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

I fail to understand how a language that almost no one speaks day to day binds us together. Would it be more truthful to say that the collective pretense that we have a national language other than English is what binds us together?

No other country pretends to speak Irish like we do and maybe that's what makes us Irish. We put it on all the road signs and all the public transport displays. All mass communication from the government comes in two parts: one that everyone reads and one that three people read to make sure it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Carnacalla wrote:
    Being anti-gaeilge lacks national pride, no second thought about.
    I am not saying you have none, but it shows a lack
    What I am saying is you have no pride in the irish language, which takes away from your pride. Its simple.
    You use the word pride, but I think the word you really want to use is Irishness. I think what you really seem to be saying is:
    What I am saying is you have no pride in the irish language, which takes away from your Irishness. Its simple.

Language is what distinguishes you from the rest...
    I think for a lot of people the rest is British culture.
    They feel the Irish language is the last thing between them and being labelled a "west brit".
    They seem to have a sense of cultural inferiority, and they focus too much on the language and don't seem to see all the many other things that make us Irish and that they can take pride in.
    And that our language is not the only thing that differentiates us from other cultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭VG31

I was on a GT today. I heard an announcement when the bus was at a bus stop that I had never heard before. It went something like; "Please refrain from smoking or drinking on the bus" (and then the same in Irish). The next-stop display didn't show the announcement.

The addition of extra messages beyond the 'next stop' announcements is a bug bear of mine with this - Seems that someone in DB now realises they have a captive audience (I'm guessing drivers are under instruction to keep the thing switched on at all times, though thankfully a small handful on my route seem to be rebels and switch it off) for whatever spiel they choose to put on their new toy.

So this morning as well as the usual talk about cigarettes and e-cigs we had 'please do not disturb the driver, and stand behind the white line' followed a few minutes later by 'please remember to hold the hand rail at all times whilst standing or moving on the bus'.
    All blared at Max11 on the volume scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The addition of extra messages beyond the 'next stop' announcements is a bug bear of mine with this - Seems that someone in DB now realises they have a captive audience (I'm guessing drivers are under instruction to keep the thing switched on at all times, though thankfully a small handful on my route seem to be rebels and switch it off) for whatever spiel they choose to put on their new toy.

So this morning as well as the usual talk about cigarettes and e-cigs we had 'please do not disturb the driver, and stand behind the white line' followed a few minutes later by 'please remember to hold the hand rail at all times whilst standing or moving on the bus'.
    All blared at Max11 on the volume scale.

The drivers have no control over the announcements. They are completely automatic.

They just have not been rolled out onto all of the buses yet.

They can however add an extra one if necessary manually.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The drivers have no control over the announcements. They are completely automatic.

They just have not been rolled out onto all of the buses yet.

They can however add an extra one if necessary manually.

Do you know if drivers have control over volume, it seems to be different from bus to bus?
    Also any idea who is making the decision to add these recent extra messages - we survived for manys the year without needing to be reminded to 'hold the handrail whilst standing or the bus is moving'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Do you know if drivers have control over volume, it seems to be different from bus to bus?
    Also any idea who is making the decision to add these recent extra messages - we survived for manys the year without needing to be reminded to 'hold the handrail whilst standing or the bus is moving'.

Drivers have no control over the next-stop or occasional 'reminder' announcements, such as holding a handrail. Unfortunately, this is a by-product of a dumbed-down, litigious society and is called covering one's a.s.s

"Well, nobody told me to hold a handrail."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No they have no control over the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Drivers have no control over the next-stop or occasional 'reminder' announcements, such as holding a handrail. Unfortunately, this is a by-product of a dumbed-down, litigious society and is called covering one's a.s.s

"Well, nobody told me to hold a handrail."

Some of us will remember,only too well,the primary duty of a Bus Conductor at peak times was to shout..."Hold the Bar there now,Ladies...Ding Ding !!"

However in Century 21 the Canned Announcements are an NTA gig,and they are putting considerable resources into the system.

The volume is pre-set,and on newer vehicles the P/A Unit CANNOT be switched off or over-ridden.

What appears to be exercising the NTA is the ability of people to "selectively hear" only the announcements favourable to them whilst proffessing total ignorance of the remainder....what is the answer?...beats me :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I don't know if they fixed it or not but I once heard the "exit bus by centre doors" announcement on an EV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

There are also some buses where the wiring seems to pick up engine noise and amplify a whining noise through the speakers when the bus accelerates.

What they should have is a Ryanair type trumpet every time the bus stops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Don't mind them at this stage,just tend to drown them out.Would actually be handy if they announced what stop is the right one for popular tourist attractions,like on the 13/40 for the Guinness factory on James Street and the first stop on Emmet Road for Kilmainham Gaol.

• Advertisement

Don't mind them at this stage,just tend to drown them out.Would actually be handy if they announced what stop is the right one for popular tourist attractions,like on the 13/40 for the Guinness factory on James Street and the first stop on Emmet Road for Kilmainham Gaol.
    They'd have to do them in Irish too in that case. I remember when the bilingual Luas announcements started, it was like a rolling commentary in the city centre with the "alight for Henry Street shopping district" and similar addons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement