Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Garden Trophy

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭airguitar

Any results from today lads?
    South county 5 killerig 1 and blessington 3 coollattin 3. Looks like this group will go down to last game!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irishvillian

Arklow lost 4-2,need to win 6-0 next week to get through:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

My reading of the standings in Group 2 is that Coolattin are in the driving seat, having just played 2 games, but Blessington are also in a strong position with one game versus Killerig left, who they beat 6-0 last year. Coolattin's match with Sout County might prove decisive, where any kind of a win will probably put them out of reach. If Coolattin lose to SC, it comes down to who can score best against Killerig.

If BL do beat Killerig 6-0, Coolattin will need to beat SC 4-2 and Killerig 5-1 to win.

Coolattin - played 2........8 points
    Blessington - played 3.....10.5 points
    South County - played 3...10 points
    Rathsallagh - played 3......6.5 points
    Killerig - played 1.............1 point

Matches left...
    BL v Killerig
    SC v Coolattin
    Coolattin v Killerig
    Rathsallagh v Killerig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Interesting reading Sheet. We spoke bout it the other day after our game with Blessington and we are of the same opinion really. All comes down to the game against South and there after possibly who beats Killerig by the biggest margin if at all.

Our team has been drastically changed this year. I partnered a guy on sat who I had never met before. I think as much fun as this competition is its vital to try different combinations as it is only a warm up for the Barton and should be used correctly for this. There will be new pairs and players used again this Sat against South County, should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Interesting reading Sheet. We spoke bout it the other day after our game with Blessington and we are of the same opinion really. All comes down to the game against South and there after possibly who beats Killerig by the biggest margin if at all.

Our team has been drastically changed this year. I partnered a guy on sat who I had never met before. I think as much fun as this competition is its vital to try different combinations as it is only a warm up for the Barton and should be used correctly for this. There will be new pairs and players used again this Sat against South County, should be fun.

Totally agree. Rathsallagh have exactly the same policy and also include some very young players as they develop, even if the handicaps don't hit exactly 14. The only thing I disagree with is that the youngsters have been sent out together in pairs, as opposed to with a partner of some experience so they can learn something. South County have a totally different team from one round to another, I think I remember that 24 different players played in the first two rounds last year. Blessington and Killerig have more or less the same guys every round, which is probably more due to smaller memberships of competitive players. Good for players getting game-time though.

• Advertisement

I'm not a big fan of the how the league works. I think it would be better to put more emphasis on the overall result of a match rather than the number of games won. Say 2 points for an overall match win and 1 point for a draw and if there is a tie after all games have been played it should then go to the number of induvidual matches won. Just my opinion anyone else agree?

This year is the first year we have correctly set it up and your dead right, we try play one younger guy with an experienced head and show them the ropes so to speak. Too many young lads even though stronger in ability lose games through wrong decisions and in this format you only have one ball so course management is everything. Our panel is 30 odd players I think and we will be trying them all at some stage. Its the only way the club can move on and get stronger.

Will you be playing on sat Sheet ?

airguitar wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of the how the league works. I think it would be better to put more emphasis on the overall result of a match rather than the number of games won. Say 2 points for an overall match win and 1 point for a draw and if there is a tie after all games have been played it should then go to the number of induvidual matches won. Just my opinion anyone else agree?

I think there is good arguments for both really but do see your point. I like it the way it is as it allows you a bad week but you can still get something out of it. It also keeps the comp interesting to the last game or so as its in maybe 3 teams reach to win !! Again only a warm up and a chance to get focused on the format, great idea

My reading of the standings in Group 2 is that Coolattin are in the driving seat, having just played 2 games, but Blessington are also in a strong position with one game versus Killerig left, who they beat 6-0 last year. Coolattin's match with Sout County might prove decisive, where any kind of a win will probably put them out of reach. If Coolattin lose to SC, it comes down to who can score best against Killerig.

If BL do beat Killerig 6-0, Coolattin will need to beat SC 4-2 and Killerig 5-1 to win.

Coolattin - played 2........8 points
    Blessington - played 3.....10.5 points
    South County - played 3...10 points
    Rathsallagh - played 3......6.5 points
    Killerig - played 1.............1 point

Matches left...
    BL v Killerig
    SC v Coolattin
    Coolattin v Killerig
    Rathsallagh v Killerig

Group 1 round up!

Kilcoole played 3...... .12.5pts
    Wicklow played 2........7pts
    Arklow played 2..........7pts
    Glenmalure played 3....3.5pts
    Roundwood (WD)

Matches left...
    Arklow v Wicklow

Both Arklow and Wicklow have to win 6-0 otherwise Kilcoole Go through, unless Arklow or Wicklow win 5.5 matches then it would go down to the most wins away from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Does anyone know if you will be permitted to use DMD's in the Garden Trophy.

• Advertisement

thegen wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you will be permitted to use DMD's in the Garden Trophy.

I presume it's down to the individual club's and whether or not they have a local rule permitting them

Arklow won 5.5:D

Group 1 round up

blessingtonlakesgolfclub.com/2011/02/26/garden-county-update

Arklow won 5.5:D

So where does that leave arklow?

In the final,on away wins as far as i know.

Best of luck in the final.

Well done! Kilcoole guys must be sick

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    I think there is good arguments for both really but do see your point. I like it the way it is as it allows you a bad week but you can still get something out of it. It also keeps the comp interesting to the last game or so as its in maybe 3 teams reach to win !! Again only a warm up and a chance to get focused on the format, great idea

Looks like it coming down to the last game. How many away wins do you guys have?

Looks like it coming down to the last game. How many away wins do you guys have?

Here is the standings and away wins listed as well.

http://blessingtonlakesgolfclub.com/2011/02/26/garden-county-update/

Here is the standings and away wins listed as well.

http://blessingtonlakesgolfclub.com/2011/02/26/garden-county-update/

Thanks, don't know how accurate that is, i think the away wins were reported in that artical are a guess

• Advertisement

Yeah its gonna be close alright. I think we have 4.5 away points !!
    Last week was a disaster for us, but thats what happens when new partnerships etc are being explored so big game needed in Kellerig now. should be fun ha.

Any update, who made the final?

Any update, who made the final?

Coollattin go through on away wins, a little disappointed being the only unbeaten team and not being in the final but thats the format. Best of luck to both teams in the final and to the rest in the barton cup, looking forward to next year

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Hacker111

Played all three clubs.. Glenmalure are really struggling... very little to pick from as they have a small and reducing membership ... I would have Arklow ahead of Kilcoole...... Arklow have some very solid pairings (I know:D)

Final this Sunday. Best of luck to both clubs. Let us know the result.

Final this Sunday. Best of luck to both clubs. Let us know the result.

The final is on March 27th,South County

Any early Barton Cup results in? Enniscorthy v Woodenbridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Conman X1

I dont think Enniscorthy are playing Woodenbridge, its Kilcoole v Woodenbridge, as Woodenbridge beat Roundwood in the prelim round

Conman X1 wrote: »
    I dont think Enniscorthy are playing Woodenbridge, its Kilcoole v Woodenbridge, as Woodenbridge beat Roundwood in the prelim round

my bad, I got a little confused... Scorthy are playing Arklow...

• Advertisement

Coolatin win Garden Trophy. Don't have score. Congratulations to all involved.

Advertisement